• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

best MGS1 experience

• Original

Votes: 355 71.1%
  • Twin snakes

Votes: 144 28.9%

• Total voters

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
The CD1 of MGS1 is practically perfect in my opinion. Played some months ago and it's amazing how well it holds up.

The last part has some issues with excessive backtracking, but it's also incredible.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Any PC guys wanting to play, the OG PC version - MGS Integral - still works fine and even detects 360 controllers fine.
Integral has all the VR missions and a special first person view for the whole game if you want it

You'll have to go through the old fashioned installer that tells you it won't work, but that's no problem:
UCbROcn.png

qnKDHnU.png

The game itself will run a hilariously small resolution by default:
hZVzgYR.png
xaUWRDz.png

Once you've got the resolution set how you want its fine
oETH5t8.png

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Original.

The remake has less personality, worse music, much worse atmosphere, worse level design and worse cinematics.

Only thing the remake has going for it is the better Mei Ling voice acting.
To be honest, personality and atmosphere is just another word for nostalgia. For example TTS has different boss music for each boss rather that just one theme but it's not neccessarily worse, just different.

If you play the remake first, you might think the distinct themes or the more detailed snow effects have more atmosphere. I personally think Grey Fox's more robotic voice makes his scenes more chilling, but for me I don't just try to choose which one I prefer, rather which one is better as an introduction, and it's Twin Snakes.

Not a single one my old friends I recommended it did regret it. Wheras people I know struggled to get into the original, because graphics and more gameplay options, and accessibility were more relevant to them than changes to the older fans' percieved atmosphere and to the purity.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It's hard to say, for someone who wants the Authentic MGS experience, i'd say MGS1 just to understand all aspects of the game's origins. I would then recommend playing TS afterward as it's pretty controversial in regards to the matrix-esque treatment that's done to it (which i totally love). If you love the Matrix and John Woo Movies, then fuck it and dive in with TS. Overall, I'd honestly recommend both as they both have their strengths and weakness depending on how you interpret it.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
To me it's just like recommending Metroid 2 over the remake, which some argue has more atmosphere and is darker than the remake, and the ending was better, which is a fair opinion but the truth is new players are more likely not to have fun with it.

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, personality and atmosphere is just another word for nostalgia. For example TTS has different boss music for each boss rather that just one theme but it's not neccessarily worse, just different.

If you play the remake first, you might think the distinct themes or the more detailed snow effects have more atmosphere. I personally think Grey Fox's more robotic voice makes his scenes more chilling, but for me I don't just try to choose which one I prefer, rather which one is better as an introduction, and it's Twin Snakes.

Not a single one my old friends I recommended it did regret it. Wheras people I know struggled to get into the original, because graphics and more gameplay options, and accessibility were more relevant to them than changes to the older fans' percieved atmosphere and to the purity.
I disagree.

MGS remake felt like MGS2 expansion pack but worse. It has nowhere near the atmosphere and personality as the original game. Just the music alone, which if compared with the latter MGS games sounds really different and unique. There is also the more anime cyber punk atmosphere that is straight up removed from the remake and thus makes it less interesting and unique.

It is not nostalgia, I have pushed friends into playing the original and all of them liked the original more than TTS (even those that grew up with TTS).

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree.

MGS remake felt like MGS2 expansion pack but worse. It has nowhere near the atmosphere and personality as the original game. Just the music alone, which if compared with the latter MGS games sounds really different and unique. There is also the more anime cyber punk atmosphere that is straight up removed from the remake and thus makes it less interesting and unique.

It is not nostalgia, I have pushed friends into playing the original and all of them liked the original more than TTS (even those that grew up with TTS).
I have no idea what cyberpunk atmosphere means in this context. You're essentially fighting the same freaks and genome army, except the graphics give the characters more life and they even have eyes. (Not that graphics are the only reason to choose twin snakes)

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
If it wasn't for the music, and certain changes to the script (and voice acting moments), I would say Twin Snakes--even with the over the top cutscenes.

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea what cyberpunk atmosphere means in this context. You're essentially fighting the same freaks and genome army, except the graphics give the characters more life and they even have eyes. (Not that graphics are the only reason to choose twin snakes)
The colourpalate and the way the enviorments are done are much more colourful and "art like" compared to the muted colours in the remake. The remake is very similiar to MGS2 and if you told me it was from the same game I would have believed you if I never played MGS before.

Compared to the other games in the series, each game has their own visual style that is pretty unique. TTS is really generic looking when compared to everything else.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Does Konami know some of us would buy both these versions again if we could?

I know they said they started making games again, and I hope that means endless MGS remasters and re-releases.

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
Twin Snakes and its not even close.

Grew up with the OG, I have a lot of nostalgia there, but considering the direction MGS went with MGS2 and MGS3, Twin Snakes feels more like an MGS game than MGS1 to me now. The games became a lot more over the top than MGS1 was originally, and Twin Snakes matches the new tone/direction better imo.

You can play Twin Snakes > MGS2 > MGS3 without missing a beat. There is a sizeable adjustment in game play and tone going from MGS1 > MGS2.

And while not everyone agrees, I far prefer David Hayter's Snake after he's "Settled" into the role, than I do his Snake when he was just starting out.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah play Twin Snakes, it gels better style-wise with how the later games are presented.

I remember loving MGS1 then eventually 2 came out and was bewildered at how "zany" it became. Vampires and Luck Maidens etc.

3 went back to being more grounded (though a still a bit more over the top)

MGS1 is great for a more grounded experience set off by itself.

Twin Snakes goes a long with the rest of the series. Ramping up the crazy through out the series until Kojima just stops giving a shit in MGS4 and 5.

Twin Snakes in Kojima doing to MGS1 what Lucas did to the Star Wars Remaster. He brings it more inline with the "vision".

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Bleemcast is the best option!
The original is better, but the Gamecube version is easier and less annoying to play. Shame about the cutscenes and voice change though.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Original PS1 version
+ Best music of the bunch. Very atmospheric and to this day still has a sound of its own.
+ The version the game was based around
+ Dope tiny gimmick if you have a memory card with certain game saves.
- Stiff controls with limited options.
- Excessive backtracking.
- Pretty ugly and hard to go back to if you're not used to PS1-era 3D.
- If you physically can't button mash, or don't enjoy it, it's the version that has the most demanding mashing.
- Portrays an American-born Chinese-American with an unfortunate stereotypical ESL accent. The kind of casual racism that betrays its 90s localisation roots.

Integral/PC version
+ Same music as the original version if you're playing it on a PS1. PC version sounds worse though. For some reason the songs are cut short.
+ Updated version of the original.
+ Adds first person stuff. The game's not really designed around this, so it can make several areas a lot easier. You can of course just not use it though if it bugs you.
+ Adds VR missions, some act as very welcome tutorials, others are just plain fun. I believe this
+ Adds another easier difficulty option, if you're looking for a more casual playthrough. The base game's not terribly hard though, as most of its trickier encounters can by cheesed with some kind of item.
+ Eased up on an infamous button mashing scene. If you're a type of person that struggles with these types of things, it's going to be a welcome change.
+ Sneaking Suit Meryl
- Dope tiny gimmick if you have a memory card with certain game saves is missing on the PC version. That entire scene's kinda compromised in general on PC.
- Stiff controls with limited options.
- Excessive backtracking.
- Pretty ugly and hard to go back to if you're not used to PS1-era 3D.
- Portrays an American-born Chinese-American with an unfortunate stereotypical ESL accent. The kind of casual racism that betrays its 90s localisation roots.

Twin Snakes version
+ Looks cleaner and clearer. People have faces now. It does make some tweaks to the overall aesthetic that I don't agree with, but this won't bug anyone that hasn't played the other versions.
+ Made several QoL tweaks, including cutting down on the backtracking (easily the worst part of the original game).
+ Controls a lot better.
+ Also has first person stuff, expands it even further, and adds a bunch of other mechanics from MGS2. The game's not really designed around this, so it can make several areas a lot easier. You can of course just not use these though if it bugs you. I find the game more fun and snappier with using these features though.
+ Eased up on an infamous button mashing scene, like the Integral version. If you're a type of person that struggles with these types of things, it's going to be a welcome change.
+ Sneaking Suit Meryl
+ Dope tiny gimmick if you have a memory card with certain game saves.
+ Rerecorded voice acting. Not all changes are winners, but it's more in line with what you can expect from later entries. Removes the stereotypical ESL accent from Chinese-American character.
- Worse music. It's not bad, but feels more "standard", and just changes the atmosphere. Not sure if this'll bug you if you don't have the original music to compare it to though. It's probably the biggest mark against it in my opinion though.
- Cutscene choreography's made a bit lamer. It might not bug you if don't have the original to compare it to though. The later entries in the series are more in line with Twin Snake's zany bullshit though.
- Yoshi exists in this world.

On the whole, I think Twin Snakes is probably the way to go if you can get your hands on it. If you can't, I wouldn't sweat it too much. The thing that makes MGS the game that it is, shines through in every version. Just play what you have access to.

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Twin Snakes was my first MGS game. MGS1 is a better experience in every way that counts. The voice acting and general cutscene direction is extremely offputting and the visual style is much blander in comparison.

Red Ogre

Jul 19, 2019
Under the box, Madrid
Exaggerated misrepresentation only some of the more pedantic members of the fanbase insist on perpetuating. TS is far from perfect, but this brand of excessive disdain is not only completely uncalled for but also doing the community a disservice. It's unquestionably a good game.
It may be a perfectly fine game mechanic wise, which it is, and still be an abomination as a remake of MGS.

I won't insult you over this though, even if I fundamentally disagree with you.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Bullshit. I played Twin Snakes first and found the style and presentation bland. Afterwards I played the original MGS on a whim and I powered through the whole thing in one night because it was so captivating. Saying it's nostalgia is just a way to write off the argument without actually engaging in it. Look at the texture comparison on the first page and you'll see what I mean.

MGS1 is not some unplayable jankfest. It was ahead of its time in many ways and is still perfectly playable as long as you don't expect it to play like an AAA 2019 game.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
The colourpalate and the way the enviorments are done are much more colourful and "art like" compared to the muted colours in the remake. The remake is very similiar to MGS2 and if you told me it was from the same game I would have believed you if I never played MGS before.

Compared to the other games in the series, each game has their own visual style that is pretty unique. TTS is really generic looking when compared to everything else.
The graphics are faithful to the original. Not trying to be rude, but I honestly don't get this. I guess If you felt the colours were more prime, it was probably the colours of the Playstation's video? Not that any of this is relevant to new players, they still see the snowy base of Shadow Moses rather than this purest nostalgia (and that's what is) of how you see the colours.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
It may be a perfectly fine game mechanic wise, which it is, and still be an abomination as a remake of MGS.

I won't insult you over this, though, but I fundamentally disagree with you.

If the new mechanics don't bother you (in that they make the game too easy on regular difficulty), I really don't think the soundtrack being inferior and the cutscenes having edgy early 2000s flair is anywhere near enough to make TS an abomination...

Why even mention insults? Oo

Jan 20, 2019
Happy to see so many other people agreeing that they both have a lot to offer. Original was such a genre-defining title, the voice acting was great and really filled in for the graphics in emotional moments, and as a pro/con was a pretty tough game (especially if you didn't have the game case back in the day...). Twin Snakes brought some fun "modern" gameplay elements, a visual refresh, and as a pro/con some whacky cut-scene action that was over the top but totally in line with where Metal Gear was going.

Unpopular opinion: it's hard to image another refresh/remake of the Shadow Moses Incident. I'd totally play it, but honestly one of the best parts (for me) of playing MGS1 on PSX all those years ago was all of the cinematic and video game elements coming together with your own imagination to create such a wonderful experience. Plus, I'd probably cry at a few key moments and I am just *NOT* ready to go back to the Fox Archipelago again.

Oct 27, 2017
The graphics are faithful to the original. Not trying to be rude, but I honestly don't get this. I guess If you felt the colours were more prime, it was probably the colours of the Playstation's video? Not that any of this is relevant to new players, they still see the snowy base of Shadow Moses rather than this purest nostalgia (and that's what is) of how you see the colours.
I mean anybody can tell how it is different. I am not sure what you are not seeing because there is a very big difference in the atmosphere and art style. The original was much more cartoonish and colourful which gave it a very different atmosphere and vibes. Then when you combine it with the music it should be obvious how the remake isn't faithful and is instead much more similiar to MGS2.

The OP asked what is the best way to play MGS1 and if you want to play the real thing that then MGS1 should be the way.
MGS4 replicated how Shadow Moses
felt in the original and the remake failed to do so. It is not nostalgia if the developers themselves felt the same (which you can tell because they used MGS1 instead of TTS).

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Original.
The music & atmosphere is way better

TTS's graphics don't hold up at all, i'd rather go for the grimey look of the original.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Bullshit. I played Twin Snakes first and found the style and presentation bland. Afterwards I played the original MGS on a whim and I powered through the whole thing in one night because it was so captivating. Saying it's nostalgia is just a way to write off the argument without actually engaging in it. Look at the texture comparison on the first page and you'll see what I mean.

MGS1 is not some unplayable jankfest. It was ahead of its time in many ways and is still perfectly playable as long as you don't expect it to play like an AAA 2019 game.
When people imply the remake isn't loyal enough to the graphics of the original, it's 100% nostalgia. There is no argument to engage with, just abstract claims.

I would bet you're an exception, does, the original even have proper analogue controls? and there's very few hiding spots which sucks by today's standards for a 3D stealth game, what is said of playability must still be taken into account for a new player.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Im sorry but for me its Twin Snakes, and I know that is sacrilege especially if you know the history behind it, but I enjoyed it with the graphical updates.

Red Ogre

Jul 19, 2019
Under the box, Madrid
If the new mechanics don't bother you (in that they make the game too easy on regular difficulty), I really don't think the soundtrack being inferior and the cutscenes having edgy early 2000s flair is anywhere near enough to make TS an abomination...
Well, I do. That's where we disagree. The cutscenes are really THAT bad. General aesthetics are also inferior.
Why even mention insults? Oo
I don't know, you are the one calling pedantic to me and everyone who shares my point of view.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Original.
The music & atmosphere is way better

TTS's graphics don't hold up at all, i'd rather go for the grimey look of the original.
This is what I mean of nostalgia, compared to the original, the graphics do stand up, the character don't even have facial expressions or eyes in the original.

I don't often like to dismiss opinions as nostalgia but some examples totally are.

Red Ogre

Jul 19, 2019
Under the box, Madrid
When people imply the remake isn't loyal enough to the graphics of the original, it's 100% nostalgia. There is no argument to engage with, just abstract claims.
Except it's not. They did take some liberties with the way it looks. And that's fine btw, I just don't like it. As have been said, the color palete IS different. Twin Snakes is also cleaner, almost aseptic. It lacks that dirty texture work from the original (and I'm not talking about resolution).

This is what I mean of nostalgia, compared to the original, the graphics do stand up, the character don't even have facial expressions or eyes in the original.
Are the faces really an improvement when the facial expressions are bad and off-putting?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

xxmgscompare10.jpg

The textures and areas in Twin Snakes have less detail and the color scheme is subdued and washed out. Green is everywhere in MGS1, between the codec, VR areas, and level design. This informs the visual style of the game and gives it flavor. I couldn't tell you what the flavor of Twin Snakes' visuals are, except a worse looking MGS2.

Let's compare title screens:

14777.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Now, I don't know about you, but I played both Twin Snakes and MGS1 in 2012, and one was much more inviting.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
What's the appeal to this game? I'm not opposed to games with clunky controls games (fan of old school RE) or stealth games (love the Siren series), but MGS1 really didn't gel with me (played the original).

Oct 27, 2017
Bleemcast is the best option!
The original is better, but the Gamecube version is easier and less annoying to play. Shame about the cutscenes and voice change though.
I play the Bleemcast version because it's the easiest way to play the US version of the game on a console I have hooked up. Also it's just cool to play MGS1 on the Dreamcast. Even if you have to use the dpad to quick equip and activate the codec.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
I really like TTS but I'll say that if you're playing it for the first time, go for the Original. Then replay it on TTS version

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Well, I do. That's where we disagree. The cutscenes are really THAT bad. General aesthetics are also inferior.

I don't know, you are the one calling pedantic to me and everyone who shares my point of view.

Agreed on aesthetics being (slightly) inferior. The custscenes aren't bad, they're just Ryuhei Kitamura being Ryuhei Kitamura. Maybe he was the wrong choice (I love Versus but I wouldn't say he was the right choice for TS), but that doesn't really make them horrible.

I'm gonna have to plead ignorance on pedantic being an insult, here (english is my third language)... how is saying someone is "excessively concerned with minor details or rules" insulting? You just confirmed this stance, too, if that's all it takes for you to consider TS an "abomination", then aren't you being pedantic just going by the very definition of the word? Don't mean to offend, I'm not being disingenuous... genuinely curious about this as I had no idea pedantic is perceived as an insult or I wouldn't have used the word. It's obviously got a negative connotation to it, but I had no idea! How should I get my meaning across without using the word pedantic?

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Except it's not. They did take some liberties with the way it looks. And that's fine btw, I just don't like it. As have been said, the color palete IS different. Twin Snakes is also cleaner, almost aseptic. It lacks that dirty texture work from the original (and I'm not talking about resolution).

Are the faces really an improvement when the facial expressions are bad and off-putting?
You think the remake doesn't have improved graphics? Ok I just cannot argue with you, sorry... and to the post that thinks a dark blue blurry underground area is somehow better than the one that happen to be more green? Just nostalgic bias.

EDIT: Title screen is better in the original, that's the only good example in the visuals.

Oct 27, 2017
What's the appeal to this game? I'm not opposed to games with clunky controls games (fan of old school RE) or stealth games (love the Siren series), but MGS1 really didn't gel with me (played the original).
Tactical Espionage Action.

But to explain it much deeper, the gameplay is great. The atmosphere and the cool wallbreak/varied sections/setpieces, the music, the bosses and the story in particular are so well done. Especially the script which is much better than the next games and the remake.

It is basically the full package of what a great game should be.

xxmgscompare10.jpg

The textures and areas in Twin Snakes have less detail and the color scheme is subdued and washed out. Green is everywhere in MGS1, between the codec, VR areas, and level design. This informs the visual style of the game and gives it flavor. I couldn't tell you what the flavor of Twin Snakes' visuals are, except a worse looking MGS2.

Let's compare title screens:

14777.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Now, I don't know about you, but I played both Twin Snakes and MGS1 in 2012, and one was much more inviting.
Thank you!

There is just so much details lost in the remake. Not only that but everything else is just so much more bland and off putting.
If I played TTS first then I doubt I would have fell in love with the series.