• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Very strong choice. For those that didn't play it...

You play the game in the present day with psychic powers, with story flashbacks to how you got those power...
...only to find out later in the game that the flashbacks were the present, and what seemed like the present is in fact your psychic power of premonition predicting a possible future.

It's just so damn good. I was gobsmacked.

Deleted member 52065

Jan 16, 2019
The twist happens because your avatar has amnesia.

Everyone else is already aware they are controlling machine bodies and their real bodies are asleep. It's just you who doesn't know.

You even can notice a couple times it is referred too off hand by other characters before the reveal because the mechanical bodies they control are advanced enough to feel and look like real humans so they're very used to it. The mimeosomes mimic bodily needs and functions like eat, sleep, breath and needing to relieve one's self because part of the goal was to let people still feel human for mental health reasons.
He never wonders why he doesn't need to poop?

Nov 17, 2017
He never wonders why he doesn't need to poop?
Well Lin is always cooking you food so I have to assume that food goes somewhere.

But yeah like Bomblord said they have biological functions for mental health reasons. The end goal was always to get them back in flesh and blood bodies so they didn't want to put people in cold, feelingless metal shells for an indeterminate time.

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles X

If you don't know, the game takes place on an alien planet that an ark ship of humans crash land on after fleeing from Earth which was destroyed in an alien war.

When the game was first revealed people thought it was odd that the characters were so athletic. You could sprint super fast and could jump so high, much higher than in the first Xenoblade game. Some said the gravity of the planet Mira was just less, others said it was just a game mechanic. Another thing is there's no fall damage unlike in the first game as well. In fact, at the start of the game, Elma blatantly tells you that you can survive a jump from any height which doesn't really set off any alarms because the player just assumes she's switching to 4th wall breaking video game speak like when a character says "press A to jump."

Then in Chapter 5, you get your arm blown off by a laser blast and realize that your innards are all mechanical. It's a crazy scene as the other characters don't seem shocked at all while your character is just mystified by what's happening before they pass out. So you're thinking "wait, I'm a robot?!" and then Elma tells you that actually everyone is a robot. In order to travel the vastness of space to find a suitable planet for life, people knew their bodies might not make the journey just due to age. So they put their bodies in stasis and linked their minds to robotic look-a-likes of themselves that they control. So all the human characters you've met up until this point are machines and their real bodies are asleep in the Lifehold which is the thing you've been searching for since the beginning of the game. You have to find the Lifehold before it runs out of power and everyone's real bodies die.

This is a pretty early plot twist but it's just late enough that you've gotten a sense of the setting and characters so this twist really just flips everything you knew upside down. I remember having to put the game down for a second and think, wait, what?! The crazy part is, the foreshadowing to this is present all around even beyond how the characters move during gameplay. A lot of it is completely blatant but you don't really process it the first time around. It was mind blowing playing the game a second time before the twist happens and seeing NPCs mention the "mimeosomes" that their minds inhabited.

And if you can believe it, the "everyone is a machine" plot twist has its own plot twist which really fucked me up. At the end of the game, you finally get to the Lifehold which is supposed to be the structure holding all the character's real bodies in stasis. Except there are no bodies. Just a giant super computer and a ton of raw DNA. Turns out, no one was actually put into stasis. They were just put to sleep, had their minds and consciousness digitized and their DNA copied and stored. Then they simply left behind the original bodies behind to perish as the Earth blew up. So the idea is that they can only carry so many humans in an ark ship but they can carry many more digitized consciousnesses of humans as they're just data, find a new planet, then used the copied DNA to recreate the bodies of the people and plant their digitized minds back into them. It really changes the idea of what the characters truly are. Are they the same people as before or are they just a computer mimicking people that used to exist? Is there a soul and does it even matter? It's a really crazy plot twist.

Man, I need a sequel to this game. The plot took a back seat, but the story beats were still good.

Also I always thought the baten katos twist was kinda expected. You start the game as a guardian spirit and I'm pretty sure the audible dialogue actually gets more clear throughout the game. To signify your bond with the living world getting stronger.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Ever17

If I ever lose my memory, I'm playing that game again to be blown away by the ending.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the twist in RE7 is fantastic and very underrated.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
No one played it, but I thought the twist in Second Sight was mindblowing. The whole game you think you are able to go into the past and change things, but it turns out the past is actually the present and the "present" is actually the future.

Binster

Oct 27, 2017
No one played it, but I thought the twist in Second Sight was mindblowing. The whole game you think you are able to go into the past and change things, but it turns out the past is actually the present and the "present" is actually the future.
And there I was tiptoeing around it at the top of the page...

Solid278

Aug 26, 2019
Man, I need a sequel to this game. The plot took a back seat, but the story beats were still good.

Also I always thought the baten katos twist was kinda expected. You start the game as a guardian spirit and I'm pretty sure the audible dialogue actually gets more clear throughout the game. To signify your bond with the living world getting stronger.
Sorry to quote such an old post but OMG, as a teenager I turned off the voice acting (and imagined I was playing a PSX RPG), because the voice acting audio quality was so bad, it sounded like the actors were all talking through tunnels. That was intentional?!

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Sorry to quote such an old post but OMG, as a teenager I turned off the voice acting (and imagined I was playing a PSX RPG), because the voice acting audio quality was so bad, it sounded like the actors were all talking through tunnels. That was intentional?!
you were a teenager when XCX came out, so 5 years ago? damn.

Apr 27, 2020
Most recently Persona 5

When Joker was "killed" I literally thought I messed up regarding the choices i made. Never would've guessed that the whole team had the trap planned out since the school festival. The really did it up Oceans 8 style

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
-Neyla going from helping the Cooper Gang to betraying them and gradually turning into the main villain in Sly 2.
-Sovereign actually not just a ship, but the main villain in Mass Effect 1.
-The main villain working with the Metal Heads in Jak 3 revealed to be Erol, a secondary villain in Jak 2 who received cybernetic upgrades and is now called "Cyber Erol".

Truant

Oct 28, 2017

If you can travel in time, isn't every time both past, present and future at the same time?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The main villain was you from the future going back in time to effectively make you stronger than you would've been otherwise so you'll be ready to save the world later

Deleted member 21326

User requested account closure.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well Lin is always cooking you food so I have to assume that food goes somewhere.

But yeah like Bomblord said they have biological functions for mental health reasons. The end goal was always to get them back in flesh and blood bodies so they didn't want to put people in cold, feelingless metal shells for an indeterminate time.

I thought the crazy part, was that they couldnt figure out, why they were still alive. After discovering that their original bodies had died? Been awhile since i played it. [/SPOILER

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bioshock - "would you kindly" for me.
It's a terrible twist that makes no sense for the rest of the game. There's a couple of points where it's physically impossible for the twist to make sense.

It's like they got to the end and went "we need a twist" so blindly pointed to a character and wrapped it up.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Most recently Persona 5

When Joker was "killed" I literally thought I messed up regarding the choices i made. Never would've guessed that the whole team had the trap planned out since the school festival. The really did it up Oceans 8 style

I liked the plan, but the best twist in p5 was

Igor. Such a damn good meta twist. The Japanese voice actor had died before the game, so they had to switch his voice if they wanted to use the character still, so they give him this deep gruff voice that is pretty unlike his other apearences, but fans roll with it because they needed to change him out anyway.

At the end, it's revealed he's a fake which was a pretty cool twist anyway, but then the lines that are voiced are the old VA's that were pre recorded from other games showing that he was the real one after all. Was such a cool touch.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I mean that in order for humanity to survive everyone had to die. They had to wait hundreds of years for the robots to run out of things to eat before the Gaia could start rebuilding Earth. I found it extremely sad and poignant about the scientists using their last days to try and create the AI.

the whole backstory is what got me hooked. It's just a shame the present day story couldn't measure up to that. It didn't help that the most interesting characters where all dead ones in holotapes. Like you said though, the emotional gutpunch of it all was amazingly effective. I found the plight and anguish of the general, recounting how he and others basically had to inspire what was left of humanity to fight for a weapon and a hopeless victory he knew was fake the most heart wrenching.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
This thread is a game unto itself, dodging spoilers for games I haven't play and yet curious enough to read it.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Xigbar_KHIII.png

Everything about this guy is a plot twist. For all the hate that Nomura gets with his plot twists, he did this character so good.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan

Blew my mind back in the day.

edit: I think this is old enough for me to post openly ... right ?

"Snake! You've been talking to..!"

"me... dear brother."

It's one of the best twists in gaming because despite seeing the guy's face via codec even you the player doesn't make the connection.

And it makes replaying the game even better as a result!

From Metal Gear Solid 1.

Except the two characters were very obviously voiced by the same actor, so this didn't come as a surprise to me AT ALL.
I used to be hugely into the 90s TMNT cartoon, and the same actor (Cam Clarke) also did Leonardo, so I instantly recognized him.

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
Metroid
When you find out in the original game that Samus is a woman. Pretty cool twist.
Bayonetta
Child is you!
MGS2
Raiden is you!
Final Fantasy IV
You are the bad guy (but only in the beginning). Golbez is your brother. You fight the embodiment of evil on the moon.
Chrono Trigger
The main character dies and can stay dead!
Final Fantasy VII Remake
It's not a remake!
Clubhouse Games 51
There's a piano!

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
Ok, I'm sorry to double post. But this literally happened 30 seconds ago.

Grandia
Milda is married to a talking animal.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
Killer7

Too complicated to describe. The whole damn game. Even with a lengthy interpretation of the game, I don't fully grasp the story. But that's kinda the point too. Best story in a video game.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Xenogears
A long list, but I'd say Grahf being Lacan stands above the rest

Killer7

Too complicated to describe. The whole damn game. Even with a lengthy interpretation of the game, I don't fully grasp the story. But that's kinda the point too. Best story in a video game.
i can't think of any plot twist in K7 that jumps out. Most everything is presented to you as is it's just...it's Killer 7. I guess I would say
Garcian killing and absorbing Harman...sort of and not the other way around was a twist

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
Damn, this thread makes me want to replay HZD.

I also thought Captain Spirit had a disappointing yet cute twist

You play the whole episode as Chris, convinced you have super powers, and actually levitate after falling from a tree, cementing that certitude that Chris actually has powers.

You find out from LiS 2.2 that Daniel, in the neighbouring garden, is actually the one who saved Chris.

Cute twist, but also a "my-life-has-been-a-lie" one.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Spec Ops the line is pretty good because it lets you play through its many twists but you never see them for what they really are as the game often fucks with you in a lot of ways so you kept being thrown off guard and start accepting weird shit you see and do as normal as Walker digs himself deeper and deeper into chaos and doubt.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Braid. None of the cut-scene plot-heavy games I've played, other than Bioshock, have been as simply effective as 'finding the princess'.