• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Going from Yakuza 0 to Kiwami the twist is so hard and emotional. Also the end realization of who and what Kuze was about in 0.

also in FFXIV at the end of the ARR storyline

Last edited:

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
There are so many for me, all of them coming from VNs.
Just some examples:
I was shocked when I found out that Kurisu was killed by Okabe
What a way to end the Danganronpa series! Basically the first two games were really fiction in V3, and then they started to create real killing games, until V3 that is the 53th!
This is the first VN I have every played and I was not used to a plot twist like "Sigma is the mastermind of the Nonary game!"
Another shocking reveal about the main character's identity

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I loved how me being an asshole to her eariler ended up actually saving her life by making her not believe my warning
Right??? Like... it makes sense but... oh man, it hurt me. And the other person:

Alyssa - I guess I missed a chance to warn her so she didn't trust me/thought I was causing terrible things to happen to her and it doomed her.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Oh, I'll also give a shout out to the first Danganronpa because while the game in general prioritized spectacle and popcorn entertainment over substance, the final twist that
the world had already been more or less destroyed was unbelievably effective at hitting home the concept of despair as a theme. I really felt like I experienced that alongside the characters.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
I was a big fan of the Robotech Battlecry ending. wasn't the greatest game, but the ending was unexpected.

The entire game was basically the protagonist recounting the story as he runs out of oxygen following being lost in space following the final fight. He's basically Tony Stark recording his story for Pepper except, no Captain marvel to save the day.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Trails in the Sky FC's ending but that was already mentioned so...

Basically, everyone died in a previous time loop and the first game is the "do-over" to ensure it doesn't happen again.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
"Would you kindly?" - Bioshock

Not only does it pull the rug out from under you, it's also cool as a metacomentary on the Idea of perceived freedom in games.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right??? Like... it makes sense but... oh man, it hurt me. And the other person:

Alyssa - I guess I missed a chance to warn her so she didn't trust me/thought I was causing terrible things to happen to her and it doomed her.
I had no idea that could happen to Alyssa. Makes me glad I always took the time to check in on her and make sure nothing bad happened to her.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Soul Reaver (Blood Omen Series)
I -- am not your enemy - not your destroyer - I am, as before, your right hand

Raziel is the bloodthirsty soul hungry spirit inside the Soul Reaver and it's telegraphed in the intro to Soul Reaver by the Elder God. Absolutely brilliant story telling.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Solas is the Dread Wolf.
It's funny because that's only like a third of the amazing fuckery of Trespasser twists. Not only is
Solas the dread wold but he also created the fade and more and removes your mark

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Metroid - Samus was a woman

I always wondered how they avoided spoiling it in the instruction manual or Nintendo Power. Did they just never refer to Samus using pronouns?

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Metroid - Samus was a woman

I always wondered how they avoided spoiling it in the instruction manual or Nintendo Power. Did they just never refer to Samus using pronouns?

They revealed her as a woman in an issue of Nintendo Fun Club, IIRC. But you're spot on in the manual. "He" is even described as a cyborg.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Oh also. Dragon's Dogma. It's been a while and I dont remember the details but

the main city gets partially swallowed by a giant pit and you kill god and then become god and then kill yourself to restart the story for ng+ where the world is in chaos

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Obviously inspired by the recent "the worst plot twists" thread, what are some of the best plot twists in gaming?

For me, it's NieR

"You're the bad guy" is putting it lightly here. Not only are you, quite literally, the bad guy in the form of the villain the Shadow Lord who is simply NieR from an earlier point in time. But you are also the bad guy in that you were unknowingly slaughtering hundreds of innocents who took the form of your typical jrpg grunts and your actions cause the end of the human race to become inevitable
Can you specify is you are talking about Nier 1 or automata because i still haven't played automata

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
At this point we need a name for this Era Syndrome where a negative ranking thread gets immediately countered with a positive one.

Favorite plot twist: Ganon is the good guy in WW.

Maybe I'm misremembering the scene but I don't think he's meant to be portrayed as the "good guy" just because he had reason for his actions.

It's already been said but KOTOR was great. The little montage of all the little hints the game had given you was great.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Dead Space has a nifty one. What's even better is if you take the first letter of the first world of every level in the game, it says the twist. I've adopted that for one of my RPG campaigns.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawn's multistage plot twist was well done in how fleshed out it was. Not just a one sentence twist for the sake of a twist, but a grand reveal that makes you invested in comprehending both the wide scope and details of what occured. It also takes time to show the emotional impact on the characters, showing that its actual effect within the story, rather than just trying to impress the audience.

Bioshock "Would You Kindly" and Mass Effect's plot twist with the Reapers also blew my mind back in the day.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Braid?

I never actually played through it all, but from what I gathered from what someone, I think here, told me

you're actually stealing the princess away, not rescuing her?

I thought that sounded really interesting.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Sovereign, Saren's flagship, is the actual bad guy. Saren is just its pawn.

You're supposed to use knowledge you got in other story paths, which you know as a player but the character should have no way of knowing, as a way to get the true ending.

The entire game is a ploy to get you, the player, to do something, because only an observer of the events of the game, and no single character in it, has the power to alter the events of what happened in the game.

Humans went extinct a long time ago. The war is a lie that just exists to give the androids something to fight for.

2B's job is to put down 9S every time he finds out about this, as he's too smart for his own good.

D & P are actually good in this game. Full stop.

The name you enter at the start of the game isn't your name.

MGS3's ending made the story actually good.

At this point we need a name for this Era Syndrome where a negative ranking thread gets immediately countered with a positive one.

It's a common thing in Reddit too. Every question gets a thread with an opposite or related question.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
KOTOR and Bioshock are probably the best for me. I absolutely, positively 100% never saw them coming.

As an extremely recent one I would say I was pleasantly surprised by Code Vein:

The whole game happens within the God Eater universe (could also be a prequel?)

Special mention goes to Shattered Memories.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
So what is the proper order?
I am curious about this, too. I just did a recent re-play of HM1 and 2 and never noticed this.
The apartment scenes seem to line up for me, for example the girl you "rescue" starts appearing at your apartment after the mission you rescue her.
Horizon Zero Dawn's multistage plot twist was well done in how fleshed out it was. Not just a one sentence twist for the sake of a twist, but a grand reveal that makes you invested in comprehending both the wide scope and details of what occured. It also takes time to show the emotional impact on the characters, showing that its actual effect within the story, rather than just trying to impress the audience.
Very well said, and it's one of the reasons I love that game's story and it's in-world history. Few videogame stories have stuck with me as much as HZD, and I'm always happy to revisit it in my mind.

For me it's gotta be MGS2 followed by Bioshock 1 and then Infinite.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kotor. But it didn't age too great for me personally. I started playing it again last year and couldn't believe how my younger self didn't see that twist coming lol. I felt like such an idiot. It's super obvious

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Baten Kaitos.

Seems like an interesting but pretty straightforward JRPG from a storytelling perspective until the game makes a point of demonstrating that you are not in fact that game's protagonist, but instead an invisible character connected to the games protagonist. Thought it was very clever storytelling.

I'll be honest; I don't really get what you're saying. Humanized? Sure. Maybe a dash of sympathy for how he ended up the way he is? Yes. "The good guy?" You've lost me.