• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
My fiancé and I have been getting into 90s fmv games recently and I wanted to revisit this one called The Dark Eye but discovered it's nowhere to be found in any format outside of something like ebay. It was more interactive narrative then a traditional point and click adventure game. It didn't have a standard inventory system iirc, but it had a very unique aesthetic and atmosphere compared to its contemporaries. It used stop motion animated puppets with these hollow sunken eyes that gave off a pretty creepy vibe. There was a hub area in the form of a decrepit house where you had to essentially find the next trigger point to access a new story. The stories were adaptations of classic Poe works such as The Telltale Heart. The execution was a bit disjointed but it still managed to be one of the more unsettling games of its time.

The_Dark_Eye_cover_art.jpg

What are your examples of the best out of print games, Era?

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Does stuff like Lufia 2 and Terranigma count?

If so I suppose almost every game from more than a few generations ago

Nintendo alone are sitting on a few dozen classics from NES to Wii they've not bothered to release anywhere else/again

Just look at their GCN output for example. We're only seen Sunshine, which is soon to be out of print again, and Twilight Princess HD/Wind Waker HD, which you can still get on Wii U eShop, all the rest are out of print

I'm still waiting on F-Zero GX HD

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Feels like almost all portable games prior to the 3DS/Vita are pretty much this at the moment, and it's unlikely very many of those will be carried forward either.

Jul 8, 2018
Lots of obscure PC adventure games from the mid-90s fall into this category. My pick for the best one would be Azrael's Tear, which is a first-person adventure game unlike any other I've played - if I had to descibe it, I'd say it resembles something like a mix between the Tex Murphy games and the first System Shock. Like in System Shock, you're slowly unraveling the secrets of a sprawling, multilayered dungeon, but instead of a derelict space station filled with cyborgs and an insane and power-hungry AI, you're exploring an underground facility filled with ghosts, dinosaurs and insane 1000-year-old templar knights. The writing, atmosphere and level-design are all top-notch, which is why it's such a shame the game is virtually forgotten these days. Night Dive Studios were reportedly trying to rerelease it a few years back, but it's likely they've ran into some trouble since there hasn't been any news on the project lately.

BXPk5UN.png
faiShFM.png

8Ey5aNx.png