• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ED Cantu

Oct 28, 2017
Vision of Escaflowne hasn't been mentioned yet.
This, Escaflowene is really good.
ZsiLQI6.gif
AdorableSnarlingChicken-max-1mb.gif

Also as some have mentioned Macross is good, I'd specially recommend the original, Plus or if you can stand a bit of modern J-pop and anime tropes then Frontier is good too.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
giphy.gif

Buddy complex. I really dug this show. Mecha and time travel. I'd didn't have an official 2nd season. But season one has one of the best cliffhangers in anime I've seen.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Probably Geass for me. Just all around a great time, with (imo) a solid ending.

Oh, and of course Escaflowne is friggen amazing.,

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely on my radar now - Thanks!
I'd post the opening of Aquarion as well, but you might get misled into thinking it's a good show. Opening is god-like though.

You know what, screw it, here's Sousei no Aquarion's opening (composer is Yoko Kanno):

I have to warn you that the only good thing about this show is the music though. Its sequel, Aquarion EVOL, also has a godly soundtrack.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EVOL is good for the first half.

When the Banana episode comes about, dumpster that garbage immediately.

I have never seen a show go from "I like this a lot!" to "Oh god make it stop" so fast.

Drain You

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
As someone who finally watched most of Gundam and am on Ep 24 of Evangelion I am insterested. Hated how Iron Blooded Orphans ended, not on topic but I'm salty.

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The lack of Eureka Seven in this thread is inexcusable and disappointing.
Ao left a really bad taste in the mouth.

But yeah, Eureka Seven is amazing. The idea of airsurfing mechs(?) are awesome, combined with deep character development
tumblr_nb9cvqscUL1r4vymlo1_500.gif

EVOL is good for the first half.

When the Banana episode comes about, dumpster that garbage immediately.

I have never seen a show go from "I like this a lot!" to "Oh god make it stop" so fast.
The last episode of EVOL left me with mixed emotions; I don't know if I want to laugh or I want to cry... if nothing else, Aquarion as whole was something, I guess.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have you asked yourself, "What if Stan Lee made a robot anime?"

Look no further than Heroman!
8e743d112c72ebfb845dc038e749ccf0.gif

421f5a34983ba2bb12ef12f058c329bf2bb51edf_hq.gif

Where nerds, jocks, and cheerleaders are friends, and American neighborhoods are quaint.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
  • Gurren Lagann - legitimately one of the greatest anime of all time. A polar opposite to Evangelion. Much of the staff went on to form Trigger.
  • Code Geass - Heavily features mech combat, but focuses on the protag's Light Yagami-tier master plans. Same writer went on to do Devilman Crybaby and Princess Principal.
  • Vision of Escaflowne - A perfect combination of fantasy and mecha with an all-star team of 90s powerhouses.
  • Suisei no Gargantia - A chill slice-of-life of a mecha pilot getting accustomed to life on a water-covered planet... written by Madoka Magica writer Gen Urobuchi.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Giant Robo is bloody fantastic. And it's coming out on blu-ray soon. Of course, it's kind of a biased reccommendation as I worked on the upcoming set... But speaking as a fan, it's really worth your time. An absolute classic.

Keylow

Oct 25, 2017
Their is a lot of dope stuff here so I want to bring up one of my favorites. Tekkaman blade

tekkaman-blade-animation.gif

source.gif

Tekkaman-Blade-tekkaman-blade-21844939-360-240.gif

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I'm heavily interested in this thread.

My recommendations are:

Eureka Seven
The Vision of Escaflowne
Fullmetal Panic!

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Do you want to be stirred? Brutalized? Have you grown tired of the festering maggots on your month-old steak on a dusty, unused grill?

Do you seek passion? Death? An unflinching look into the cruelty of an absurd and unforgiving battlefield? Cries of plane-transcending soul?

Do you want a climax that will just leave you going wtf, oh hell naw, with all the range of emojis you can type with one hand?!

Then watch Space Runaway Ideon!! Particularly just for the culmination (in which the above will manifest itself) of it all in the complimentary movie, Be Invoked, in tow, which essentially reworks the finale of the main show to its proper, intended form. It is in the way that film sends off the show that the franchise finds its unforgettable, pitiless, now infamous reputation.

The show itself is near 40 episodes long and not all that great with relatively shoddy animation, but you watch the characters develop from where they start to where they end up, and the dramatic shift, at least in terms of the stakes at hand and what they imply, by the time of the movie is lent boding gravitas. There is a preceding movie that condenses it all in under 90 minutes, but, to be expected, it doesn't translate the investment originally fostered over the show's duration in the lead-up to Be Invoked nearly as potently.

Just brace yourself for no mercy.

tumblr_ospgmgj0021ue1atqo1_400.gif

997af2f4406aa700a0a31b85cb3c67cc.gif

space-runaway-ideon-gif-8.gif

Mlj01PV.gif

And remember, no one is safe.

Oct 30, 2017
All of these posts, and not one mention of Kill 'em All Tomino at his finest?

dqhbsnou8aayios-e15403631391831.jpg

Ideon. Watch Ideon. It was Evangelion before Evangelion was even a twinkle in Anno's eye. Watch the show, then watch Ideon: Be Invoked. You'll see what truly influenced Evangelion with this series. Plus, you get a dude with a rockin' afro as a main character and a giant robot powered by God that can cut planets in half.

Then, if you want more depression, check out Space Warrior Baldios. Once you get past the art style and the fact that Baldios itself looks a bit like a doofy Gundam pretending to be a Super Robot, you're in for a treat. That one's got a hell of an ending to it. I'd say just watch the condensed movie version. It's a bit of a mess, in the editing department, but it keeps a lot of the character drama stuff intact.

71fyzNFVnSL._SY445_.jpg

Also Aura Battler Dunbine. Dimension hopping sci-fantasy bug-knight mecha! This one, along with Ideon earned Tomino the "Kill 'em all" title. It also has the most Tomino-est names you'll ever come across. Names like Keen Kiss and Shott Weapon.

1073099-27767-52-pristine.jpg

One other I would recommend that isn't too well known is Panzer World Galient. Similar to Dunbine and Escaflowne, it's largely fantasy, but there is a twist that gets introduced fairly early into the show. The show was pretty good all around. It just doesn't have the shock value of things like Dunbine backing it up. If you want to see giant robot knights that aren't from Escaflowne, this one is worth checking out.

tumblr_psbjxq9Lil1wrr0duo1_400.jpg

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine a mech show where the enemies are nigh-invulnerable Gundams with special abilities, and they are all getting beaten by a run-of-the-mill GM using only the pilot's knowledge of physics?

You get Aldnoah Zero

aniplex-of-america-inc-aldnoah-zero-part-1-blu-ray.jpg

Season 2 stinks, but I think the concept of the show is good enough to give it a watch.

Oct 25, 2017
code geass. and its better than neon too

I think Geass is pretty solid until R2. The ending salvages it, but I hate the contrivance that basically started the main conflict of R2.

When the whole reason the Suzaku/Lelouch fallout happens is because Lelouch was joking with Euphemia that he could have made her kill all the Japanese, and then his Geass just goes off. God I hate it.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
The best mecha anime made in the last decade is definitely Fafnir Exodus. The Fafnir franchise can be tough to get into, because you need to get past the first half of the original Fafnir series to get to the good stuff. But the sequels are absolutely amazing.

Both Fafnir Heaven and Earth and Fafnir Exodus are breathtakingly beautiful productions. I wish I was good at gifs, since these shows look gorgeous, with excellent battle sequences. However, the real selling point of the franchise is how the writing completely nails the characters and the stakes they face.

I can't recommend the series enough, and I have watched a LOT of mecha anime.

Gray clouds

Nov 7, 2017
Martian Successor Nadesico
Macross DYRL
Rahxephon
Gun X Sword
Gargantia
Reideen (2007)

(sorta mecha)
Outlaw Star
Ghost in the Shell