• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shakerovic

Apr 26, 2019
Jack Attridge, Creative Director at developer Flavourworks, recently spoke to PlayStation Official Magazine (January 2020, issue 170) where he expressed all his appreciation for Sony's support with Erica and other similar projects on PS4.
From a financing perspective, actually, this is one of the best times in the history of games for risky innovative projects. And I think the great thing that's made PlayStation very different. Sony has invested in showcase pieces, like 'We are going to lead the way on why you should buy a PlayStation 4.' And I felt like that's been true ever since the PS3 days with LittleBigPlanet. No one else would have funded something like LittleBigPlanet.
The best-looking games in the world right now are on a PlayStation 4. That's down to art direction, not power, you know, art directors and technical geniuses being able to squeeze more out of less.
Clearly he was referring to PS4 games published by Sony Interactive Entertainment such as God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn and Death Stranding, which have redefined the PS4's supposed hardware limits with their releases. Often, that's mostly thanks to the great artwork of PS4 developers such as Sony Santa Monica, Guerrilla Games, Kojima Productions to name a few.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
This has basically always been the case.

Although it's also why the remake of SOTC is ugly compared to the original version or the remaster.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I agree but oh boy...

the replies in this thread is gonna be a shit show, isn't it?

source.gif

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Art direction is fine, but in terms of sheer fidelity, there's better out there, especially on PC.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Thats the one thing I truly respect Sony for as a publisher above anything else. They let their teams take chances and usually take their time. Yes their most popular games can turn out similar but not because creativity is stifled. Even then they also have a lot of games that aren't similar as well.

I can't imagine many other publishers allowing them to go from the old God of War formula to the new one or dedicating so much effort to new experiences like VR (even though I don't personally enjoy it). Or letting a game like Dreams be shown on the launch of the platform and releasing 7 years later without being scrapped and cutting losses.

Oct 25, 2017
Santa Monica and Guerilla have both talented artists and amazing engine programmers, so it's hard to separate the two factors. Artstyle is very important, obviously, but these aren't the best examples of artstyle overcoming power/engine limitations.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with the premise, but I'd pick games like Gravity Rush 2, Bloodborne and The Last Guardian as examples instead. Not games that everywhere you look you see money, from some of the most talented tech folk in the industry.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Jack Attridge, Creative Director at developer Flavourworks, recently spoke to PlayStation Official Magazine (January 2020, issue 170) where he expressed all his appreciation for Sony's support with Erica and other similar projects on PS4
Developer getting help from Sony is praising games on PS4. Shocking.

Hes right though. Art direction goes a long way. But games like Horizon, God of War and Death Stranding also rely heavily on pushing technical boundaries.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there could be better examples used with art direction and overcoming limitations of hardware through its use. There's been a lot of games this gen. Cel shading is seeing mastery this generation and some games are even blurring the lines of 2D and 3D like Guilty Gear and DBFZ.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony has invested in showcase pieces, like 'We are going to lead the way on why you should buy a PlayStation 4.' And I felt like that's been true ever since the PS3 days with LittleBigPlanet. No one else would have funded something like LittleBigPlanet.

Yeah, luckily Sony's there to fund big budget family-friendly games. No one else is doing that.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ha, the amount of salt already. People's loyalty to brands is sad to see as always.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I disagree. Most of PS4 games look pretty generic to me. I think BotW has much better art direction than any of them.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I'd definitely give a nod to some of Nintendo's games as well.

Yup, nintendo do incredible things with art direction, though they use what power they have super effectively to really amp it.

That said you get weird stuff like FE;3H which looks like butt (but doesn't really need to look great for what it is, so eh)

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Jack Attridge speaks from a developer's perspective rather than a businessman's perspective so that's a key difference. Sony lets their studios do whatever they want and they usually opt for technically impressive games that are still pleasing to the eye. Uncharted 2 looks great on PS3 because it's both artistically and technically impressive.

Deleted member 38706

Banned
Jan 19, 2018
I agree that art direction is really important and you can see that with games on all platforms. There is Hellblade on Xbox, and Nintendo has plenty of examples too. That said, I'm kinda curious why PlayStation devs/partners and fans are always so obsessed with touting everything as the BEST on their platform. It's sad that fans are already calling others "salty" for calling this out.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's all about art, that's why Nintendo Mario games on the switch look good in 2019

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Honestly, while I agree, I feel (as a non owner) the switch because of its limited HW capability, was blessed with certain beautiful titles that embraced the non-realistic aesthetics.

Zelda Link's Awakening, BotW, that Rabids rpg game, Touryist and GRIS (also available on other platforms) are simply jaw droppingly beautiful.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I agree that art direction is really important and you can see that with games on all platforms. There is Hellblade on Xbox, and Nintendo has plenty of examples too. That said, I'm kinda curious why PlayStation devs/partners and fans are always so obsessed with touting everything as the BEST on their platform. It's sad that fans are already calling others "salty" for calling this out.

Because Sony's first party art direction has changed every gen and has iterated /improved.

They changed the entire look of God of war. And looking at body of work of all the different styles they've explored, hard not to appreciate it.

Nintendo is getting there when it comes to branching out into different genres that expand their art direction approach.

Microsoft also with will of the wisps. But 343, coalition haven't been around long enough nor different titles to show it. I will say rare is the one studio that makes Microsoft stand out the most in my opinion in terms of art direction.

Deleted member 38706

Banned
Jan 19, 2018
Because Sony's first party art direction has changed every gen and has iterated /improved.

They changed the entire look of God of war. And looking at body of work of all the different styles they've explored, hard not to appreciate it.

Nintendo is getting there when it comes to branching out into different genres that expand their art direction approach.

Microsoft also with will of the wisps. But 343, coalition haven't been around long enough nor different titles to show it. I will say rare is the one studio that makes Microsoft stand out the most in my opinion in terms of art direction.

Eh, that still doesn't make Sony the best or anything. Personal opinion is not objective reality. Liking something more is fine, but it's time to stop with this obsession of trying to get everyone to see PlayStation as the best. It's unhealthy. Halo was beautiful franchise before 343 took over. It's not like Sony is the only one that has improved. Sigh, I don't understand why is it so hard for people to just appreciate things as they are instead of trying to make a hierarchy.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Eh, that still doesn't make Sony the best or anything. Personal opinion is not objective reality. Liking something more is fine, but it's time to stop with this obsession of trying to get everyone to see PlayStation as the best. It's unhealthy. Halo was beautiful franchise before 343 took over. It's not like Sony is the only one that has improved. Sigh, I don't understand why is it so hard for people to just appreciate things as they are instead of trying to make a hierarchy.

Because console wars...

May 17, 2019

Tribalism

rouken

Oct 27, 2017
Philippines
there are several games on all platforms that do this not only exclusive to sony. there may be more games in PS that does this but let's not single out sony for being the only one

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
I agree that Sony's games do tend to have some really unique art.

Death Stranding's world looks so good, and even though it might not push raw tech as much as RDR2 on PC, the world just looks so fresh and unique and that appeals to me more.

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hold on you your butts. It's about to be a wild ride 😂. Mind you that's his opinion which he is entitled to

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
PS4 certainty has many games that are visually impressive. My main issue is with the admittedly fluffy and provocative statement of "best-looking" games. Sure good art direction is essential in creating games that align with a specific vision or in making something appealing to many different types of people. Though like how abstract art does nothing for me, it doesn't guarantee the a game is going to appeal to everyone. This is really more about taste and what you're subjectively looking for when it comes to a game's "looks".

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Isn't this true of all games on all platforms?

Well to me the original is a beautiful haunting otherworldly place with a distinct tone and feeling. The remake just looks like a regular video game.

And for people who haven't played the original, the remake will be a beautiful haunting otherworldly place with a distinct tone and feeling.

What you're talking about is more about the individual than it is about either the original or the remake.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that people who think PS exclusives gameplay suck will say "game looks pretty though" at the end of their criticism tells you how haters can't even deny the games are looking great.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's all about art, that's why Nintendo Mario games on the switch look good in 2019
New Donk City and that Forest level are hideous, and Nintendo seems to be in love with some weird type of bloom lighting ATM that I am definitely not a fan of as it detracts from the presentation (making the games look hazy and undefined).

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
The best looking console game I've played is still a multi-platform so I have to disagree, furthermore, some games on Xbox are also breathtaking, though Sony definitely has an edge here quantity wise.