• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
This and Base Wars:

Base_Wars_cover.jpg

for me. I don't really consider Punch Out a sports game tbqh.

Oh shit, Base Wars was so much fun.

BaseballSimulatorNESBoxart.jpg

Also forgot about Baseball Simulator 1.000

All the ridiculous powers made for fun multiplayer.
May have played the SNES version more.
images

DimwittedCrazyDog-size_restricted.gif

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Speedball 2 on the C64. Great conversion of a very fun future sport game.
The ones I remember liking the most are racing games, which are left out for some weird reason. RC Pro Am on the NES is a great radio controlled car racer.
I also loved Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's Super Off Road on the C64. Great 4 player fun.

Sports games only started to get really good in the 16 bit era though. Sensible Soccer (oh shit, this had a Sega Master System port...that beats those I listed above then), EA Hockey, Madden '92, PGA Tour Golf and its sequels, NBA Jam, Mutant League Football and Hockey, Brian Lara Cricket. Just lots of great, fun games.

vixlar

Dec 5, 2017
Basewars. I liked the rule of ocuppied base, instead of an instant out you must fight. And I liked that you can upgrade your players with weapons and armor.

Blades of steel. The game was fun. And you can fight and you can play Gradius in the halftime.

Ice hockey. Very fast and dynamic.

Double dribble. A great basketball game. The animations on close up were really cool.

Arch rivals. The granddaddy of NBA jam. Basketball with violence.

OzBoz

May 29, 2019
I played the Epyx "______ Games" series a lot as a kid. I don't know how well they hold up. Winter Games on C64 was my favorite, except for the alpine skiing which sucked.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
Blades of Steel>>>Ice Hockey

My picks based on individual sports:

Hockey - Blades of Steel
Boxing - Mike Tyson's Punch Out!
Baseball - Baseball Simulator 1.000
Football - Tecmo Super Bowl
Wrestling - (Tie) Tecmo World Wrestling and Pro Wrestling
Soccer - Nintendo World Cup
Basketball - Double Dribble
Tennis - Racket Attack
Compilation Multi-sport: (Tie) Track and Field II and World Games

Last edited:

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit, Base Wars was so much fun.

BaseballSimulatorNESBoxart.jpg

Also forgot about Baseball Simulator 1.000

All the ridiculous powers made for fun multiplayer.
May have played the SNES version more.
images

My man. My brothers and I used one of my dad's baseball stats books to create multiple real life teams spent an entire summer playing season mode in this. It was awesome even without the wacky power ups.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I haven't played a lot of 8-bit sports games but the hockey ones are good shit. Ice Hockey and Blades of Steel.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Blades of Steel, Ice Hockey, and Tecmo (Super) Bowl are all great choices.

I haven't played Mario Tennis or Mario Golf on GB though.

Why is Tecmo Super Bowl, not on the Switch online service? Tecmo Bowl is, and it's definitely a solid game, but it's no TSB.
Tecmo Super Bowl was licensed by the NFL and NFLPA, so it has real team and player names, plus, the ability to use "Super Bowl" e.g. in its title.

The original Tecmo Bowl doesn't have any licenced names, so it's much easier to put out today. (I don't remember if it had player names, though... If it did, they were removed in the NES Mini and NSO versions.)

Oct 28, 2017
I played Ice Hockey about 2 weeks ago (USA, 1 Fat and 3 Medium guys) This game is just as good is its ever been.

Jun 20, 2019
I'd say Tecmo Super Bowl and Blades of Steel are the highlights for me. Kinda feel that Punch-Out!! doesn't really fit in this discussion.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Was that basketball game where you can pull down their pants 8 bit? Loved that game

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Punch-Out! for sure.

I was also gonna say some Kunio-kun game or other, but it's already been covered I see.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I always loved Skate Or Die and Ski or Die and Double Dribble. But Punch Out was the best