• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is the best 3D Zelda Boss?

• Ganondorf (OoT)

Votes: 68 24.6%
  • Ganondorf (TP)

Votes: 22 8.0%
  • Ganondorf (WW)

Votes: 56 20.3%
  • Stallord (TP)

Votes: 10 3.6%
  • Monk Maz Koshia (BotW)

Votes: 24 8.7%
  • Koloktos (SS)

Votes: 72 26.1%
  • Majora (MM)

Votes: 24 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 15, 2019
Feel free to name options not included in the poll. The options I included are just my best guess as to what most fans would consider the S-tier bosses of the series. For the purposes of voting, the poll options represent all phases of their respective boss fights (for instance Ganondorf OoT includes the Ganon portion of the fight.)

Personally, I really love Blizzeta from Twilight Princess. She's unique in that she's not simply some monster waiting in an arena, nor a character clearly intended to be an antagonist from their introduction. She just seems like a charming NPC who provides a rationale for Link to collect soup ingredients around Snowpeak Ruins and then, well, you know what happens. The way she's corrupted by the mirror also builds suspicion in your initial play through about the extent to which Link should be trusting Midna, which is an interesting unreliable narrator angle other Zelda games have never touched. Midna is the only character in the series who's made me question if I'm acting in my best interest as I play the game, and the way Blizzeta's reaction to the mirror bolsters that concern is a pretty masterful touch that ties your fight with her into that broader mystery. I also think the use of the reflections in the ice partnered with the ball-and-chain item is a fun, clever way of handling the boss fight, so it's still mechanically satisfying in addition to its exceptional story integration. Finally, the conclusion with the two yeti lovebirds reuniting is far more heart warming and enjoyable than the usual conclusion of a monster bursting into a puff of smoke as you sheathe your sword. 10/10, no notes.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Op fix your list. Its Ganon (Oot), i dont like ganondorf as a whole.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
I stopped my Skyward Sword HD playthrough after the Sandship, so I'm relying on my recollection of older playthroughs, but I remember loving the final battle against Ghirahim. You slowly jostle him down the chasm, platform by platform, to meteor strike his heart as you leap down. The amber glow of the platforms paint the entire area, and the spiralling walls depict the game's opening cutscene—an image of the foe yet to come. When you get to the bottom he goes berserk and you have to smash his greatsword to pieces to finish him off. It's a good mix of the usual "final exam" boss approach (he works in a lot of what he did before iirc) and new twists. I also just enjoyed the twist reveal that Ghirahim is just Demise's Fi. The clues were all there! The diamond motif! The dancing! I'm not sure if it's my overall favourite, but I wanted to shout it out.

The Monk Maz Koshia is fantastic, too, and the way it aligns with the music in particular makes the fight feel incredibly energetic. It's easily the most dynamic Zelda fight ever.

The mechanics of the Ganondorf fight in WW don't compare, but it's a fucking gorgeous finale. Best ending in a Zelda game.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Corrupted Naydra in BotW.

Everyone loves to forget about all the overworld bosses. The whole updraft/archery mechanic and the entire climb up that mountain leading up to it are so cool, especially when you don't even know what you're getting into.

OP
OP
Tom Nook Says...
Jan 15, 2019

Everyone loves to forget about all the overworld bosses. The whole updraft/archery mechanic and the entire climb up that mountain leading up to it are so cool, especially when you don't even know what you're getting into.
One of the highlights of BotW, absolutely. I'm too tired to do a proper write-up on why I enjoyed that fight so much, but suffice to say it provided a much needed once-in-a-play-through experience in the game and I would have loved just one or two more encounters like that in the overworld. I'd trade like six test of strength shrines for one more corrupted Naydra type of experience, easily.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017

Good call. One of my favourite moments in BotW.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
My hot take is that the last fight of Skyward Sword should be in the running.
Doesn't really have any gimmicks or anything (well, one small one but you can actually complete the fight without ever interacting with it) it's just a straight up brawl between Link and Ganon Demise. It's just a test to show how well you've learned the sword mechanics throughout your journey. It's one of the few Zelda bosses I've actually repeated just for fun.

I stopped my Skyward Sword HD playthrough after the Sandship, so I'm relying on my recollection of older playthroughs, but I remember loving the final battle against Ghirahim. You slowly jostle him down the chasm, platform by platform, to meteor strike his heart as you leap down. The amber glow of the platforms paint the entire area, and the spiralling walls depict the game's opening cutscene—an image of the foe yet to come. When you get to the bottom he goes berserk and you have to smash his greatsword to pieces to finish him off. It's a good mix of the usual "final exam" boss approach (he works in a lot of what he did before iirc) and new twists. I also just enjoyed the twist reveal that Ghirahim is just Demise's Fi. The clues were all there! The diamond motif! The dancing! I'm not sure if it's my overall favourite, but I wanted to shout it out.
This one is also very good. It also just feels like you're absolutely beating down on the big bad that has been fucking with you the whole game. Just beating the shit out of him and slamming him through platform after platform.

Last edited:

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
dungeons and bosses are usually "safe" lol

like, even Tentalus, ugly as that thing may be, is a top-tier boss fight, too.
How dare you call Tentalus ugly!
373908_boo-monsters-inc_1920x1080_h.jpg

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Demise should've definitely been included in here over Koloktos.

Majora is also not the best boss fight in MM. It's too easily broken with Fierce Diety. I'd give the title of best boss fight there to Goht or Gyorg (N64 versions, of course).

In the end, I voted for WW Ganondorf. Definitely the best iteration of the Ganondorf fight in the series, at the very least. OoT Ganondorf is too basic (and repeats the boss mechanics from the Forest Temple), and without Hero Mode + Ganondorf Amiibo the Ganondorf boss fight in TP is an absolute joke.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
My hot take is that the last fight of Skyward Sword should be in the running.
Doesn't really have any gimmicks or anything (well, one small one but you can actually complete the fight without ever interacting with it) it's just a straight up brawl between Link and Ganon Demise. It's just a test to show how well you've learned the sword mechanics throughout your journey. It's one of the few Zelda bosses I've actually repeated just for fun.

This one is also very good. It also just feels like you're absolutely beating down on the big bad that has been fucking with you the whole game. Just beating the shit out of him and slamming him through platform after platform.
Something a friend of mine said after beating the game always comes to mind: most developers want their games to end with a strong cinematic scenario, but it's a struggle to accomplish this while also providing the most complex and/or engaging fight in the game. Skyward Sword actually pulled off both with its back-to-back brawls against Demise and Ghirahim. These are two of the most satisfying battles in the game, and they provide an awesome spectacle to complete the journey. And yeah, I love that it's an opportunity to vent, with this good sense of forward momentum as you go down platform by platform. Being able to see the damage you're doing to his body and blade adds to this.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Beating the shit out of Koloktos with one of the big scimitars is maybe the single most viscerally satisfying bit of gameplay that the Zelda series has ever had.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Between Koloktos, Ghirahim, Demise, Skyward Sword is so good at that aspect of the series. Just top tier bosses. Shame about Tentalus design, and about there being one Imprisoned boss fight too much, because in general Skyward Sword has just the best selection of bosses in the series.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
It's the worst game overall, but Koloktos is the best one out of the choices in the poll, and Demise is even better than Koloktos. Skyward Sword could've been such a good game.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I always have a habit of forgetting Zelda bosses lol. The purple tentacle cyclops from SS is always the one that comes to mind when people mention Zelda bosses, and I don't remember disliking it, so I guess it's that for me lol.

I also liked one of the Ghirahim fights too. I don't remember which one it was though, but I know it wasn't the final one. I think it might've been the second fight? It was the one in the brown/orange room I think.

Varjet

Oct 27, 2017
In the end, I voted for WW Ganondorf. Definitely the best iteration of the Ganondorf fight in the series, at the very least. OoT Ganondorf is too basic (and repeats the boss mechanics from the Forest Temple), and without Hero Mode + Ganondorf Amiibo the Ganondorf boss fight in TP is an absolute joke.
WW's Ganondorf fight is literally just waiting for the A button to light up.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Koloktos is the perfect mix of concept, gameplay, music and visuals all coming together for a strong finale to one of the most memorable dungeons in the series.

I also rather enjoy the Monk Maz Koshia fight. It's not hard to be better than other bosses in BotW, since they're mostly the same dull characters, but this one goes above and beyond for a really unique and enjoyable fight.

Also honorable mentions to Goht (in OG MM) and Zant for being really fun bosses.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I'm very torn between...

Barinade (OoT Jabu-Jabu) is really cool and fun to fight with the Boomerang.
Twinrova (OoT Spirit Temple) is also really cool, and it's fun how they talk to you.
Ganon (OoT final boss) is mostly due to its spectacle, but it feels so intense.
Goht (MM Ice temple?) is super fun to fight by rolling around in Goron form.
Stallord (TP Arbiter's Grounds) is fun to "surf" on the walls and jump with, even if it is a very simple boss
Koloktos (SS Ancient Cistern) has great music and it's so satisfying defeating it with its own weapons
Tentalus (SS Sandship) I don't know why people don't like it, this boss stood out to me when I played SS though.

There are a lot of other great ones as well, but those are my favorite.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
It's Koloktos. SS has a few other bosses (Ghirahim, Demise) that I would rank just behind it.

Also, Argorok was the best boss in TP.

Jan 29, 2018
I should replay Skyward Sword because I don't remember a lot of the temples/bosses being mentioned here...

...but I remember hating the final boss with a passion. I beat it by just waggling crazily.

OP
OP
Tom Nook Says...
Jan 15, 2019
It's Koloktos. SS has a few other bosses (Ghirahim, Demise) that I would rank just behind it.

Also, Argorok was the best boss in TP.

Argorok was great. I would actually put Blizzeta, Zant, Argorok, and Morpheel above Stallord as far as TP bosses go, but videos/articles about the best Zelda bosses always seem to have Stallord near the top of the list, so he got included in the poll *shrug*

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Beating the shit out of Koloktos with one of the big scimitars is maybe the single most viscerally satisfying bit of gameplay that the Zelda series has ever had.

Yep. I'm glad it's in the poll. This is the most fun I've had battling a boss in Zelda since forever.

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
My favorite is Demise from Skyward Sword. It remains as one of the most memorable boss fights I've ever experienced.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I voted for Koloktos, although I'd probably put Ganondorf from Wind Waker right up there (I like those fights for different reasons).

My favourite from each 3D Zelda:

Ocarina of Time: Phantom Ganondorf (I think it's the most fun; Ganon has great atmosphere, though)
Majora's Mask: Goht (a very fun boss)
Wind Waker: Ganondorf (great setting and fun fight)
Twilight Princess: Stallord, I guess (I'm not that impressed by any boss in this game; they're all way too easy)
Skyward Sword: Koloktos (don't care much for any Ghirahim fight or Demise)
Breath of the Wild: Monk Maz Koshia (not sure what my favourite would be from the main game)

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
WW Ganondorf is so perfect story-wise (and with that, for the time, shockingly violent twist) that it's hard to think of many that measure up.

I will say, as much as I find myself crapping on TP for painfully easy bosses: the Zant fight was really fun.