• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Would be fun if you provided some insight for your choices in the OP, so people would have more of an incentive to not just drop lists of names and images in the thread. Would provide a good example to people about how to post in the thread, I think it would make your thread better. I think it deserves it, as it's a good idea for a thread and can lead to interesting discussions.

Also, I'm a broken record for this at this point but does the image resize not work for people? These image heavy threads are getting out of hand with people posting huge pictures, there's an option to resize. I don't know if it only works locally but damn

Oct 26, 2017
Mega Man Battle Network 2 is probably a bigger leap from the first game than the classic Mega Man 2 was.

Also, it's cheating a bit because Puyo Puyo 2 in Japan is actually Puyo Puyo Tsu (as in "expert"), but that game basically kickstarted the competitive puzzle subgenre.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
1200px-DKC2.jpg
The GOAT sequel

Metroid Prime 2 not far behind

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Great

SF 2 is definitely up there with the best sequels ever (dare I say the best) but I didn't play it that much (started playing SF with 3rd strike), that's why it's not on my list.

Agree but not all sequels are great though, DMC2 for example.
Yup, that's why I used the quotes when I said "normal". Even then, DMC2 still validates the point because in that game the devs didn't build on the strengths of the first one while ironing the flaws; instead they went on a very different direction. Just slapping a 2 on your game's name won't instantly make it great, it's all those other things I said and which, usually, happen in the first sequel.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Besides the more obvious ones mentioned above, Star Control 2; but, of course, most of you young'uns wouldn't know about that one.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
Mass Effect 2 is one of the best games all time in my book so it's #1 for me.
Crusader Kings 2 with all the DLC is near perfect
Assassins Creed 2 was a massive jump from the original in almost all aspects of the game

Runescape doesn't count even though it's considered RS2 after Classic but it became one of the most popular MMO's of the 2000's.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
157804-saints-row-2-collector-s-edition-playstation-3-other.jpg

Saints Row 2

pn4c0i1mu9h51.png

Fable 2

Same release year as well.

Both expanded on the formula of the original in an excellent way. They were larger, yes, but also more detailed and still greatly enjoyable.

PC port (and lack of PC port) aside they hold up surprisingly well for 12 year old games

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Puyo Puyo 2/Tsuu
super-puyo-puyo-2-cover.cover_large.jpg

Thanks to the ability to counter incoming chains, Tsuu became one of Japan's top competitive games alongside Street Fighter II.

All we ungrateful Westerners got in the 90s was Kirby's Avalanche and Mean Bean Machine.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The Persona 2 duology

Persona_2_Innocent_Sin_US_Cover_Art.jpg

61KYk5Ty8XL._SX466_.jpg

You want games that removed a lot of the frustrations of Persona 1, have an incredibly deep cast of characters, aren't completely centered around the protagonist, are LGBT-positive, and have the best plot in the series? Here you go. Innocent Sin is piss easy, but Eternal Punishment has an ideal difficulty curve.

Mar 11, 2020
Arc the Lad 2 count? I still count 1 and 2 as one game really as the story is really an all encompassing one between the two and with 1 being so short, and 2 built on 1's system so well.

Oct 16, 2020
It's taken me 20 years but I can safely say that Shenmue 2 is far better than one. A small decrease in fine detail is balanced with a massive increase of scope and vastly more opportunities to enjoy the combat.

Not to mention it's one of the few games with a nice big epilogue so you can wind down after the climactic battle.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
I don't think Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe has been mentioned yet. Still a really fun game and one of the best future sports titles.

My top two Mega Drive games are timeless 2s: Streets of Rage 2 and Shining Force II.

Edit: Hitman 2! I almost forgot about that. God I loved that game on the PS2. It's a little hard to go back to it now as it does show its age and the series has advanced tremendously but I'll always have a soft spot for that game. The nailgun cheat was hilarious too.

RadioHeadAche

Oct 26, 2017
The Persona 2 duology

Persona_2_Innocent_Sin_US_Cover_Art.jpg

61KYk5Ty8XL._SX466_.jpg

You want games that removed a lot of the frustrations of Persona 1, have an incredibly deep cast of characters, aren't completely centered around the protagonist, are LGBT-positive, and have the best plot in the series? Here you go. Innocent Sin is piss easy, but Eternal Punishment has an ideal difficulty curve.
EP came out in the US first despite being a sequel, right? How were you supposed to fully understand the story back then? Or does it work on its own too?

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
EP came out in the US first despite being a sequel, right? How were you supposed to fully understand the story back then? Or does it work on its own too?
You weren't lol. I mean you could play it that way, but you're really missing a huge chunk of the picture without Innocent Sin. IS likely didn't come out in the west back then due to a certain antagonist and their faction being in the game.

RadioHeadAche

Oct 26, 2017
You weren't lol. I mean you could play it that way, but you're really missing a huge chunk of the picture without Innocent Sin. IS likely didn't come out in the west back then due to a certain antagonist and their faction being in the game.
I don't really care about Persona, but 2 has had me curious for a while, particularly EP (I like the aesthetic). I just don't play a lot of RPGs and I know SMT and old-school Persona tend to be way more difficult than a lot of other more mainstream JRPGs, and I just don't like really long games anymore.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care about Persona, but 2 has had me curious for a while, particularly EP (I like the aesthetic). I just don't play a lot of RPGs and I know SMT and old-school Persona tend to be way more difficult than a lot of other more mainstream JRPGs, and I just don't like really long games anymore.
FWIW, both games in the duology combined are almost as long as P3/P4/P5, so they are shorter games on their own. I really highly recommend it. They have one of the best casts of characters. Also EP's cast is entirely adults, IS has 2 adult characters playable.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So many good ones have been covered already so I'll mention one no one cares about.

91NjsfZYtxL._SX342_.jpg

Blazblue Continuum Shift, at least in the US, was imo the peak of the series' life. This might be due to the fact that the third game took so damn long to come out in the West that a lot of people either dropped off or just imported the Japanese version which made the player base a bit messy once it finally hit here. Then there's the 4th game never receiving a dub. It also had the most versions with Continuum Shift, Continuum Shift II on the PSP (an update on consoles) and Continuum Shift Extend on consoles and Vita.

RadioHeadAche

Oct 26, 2017
FWIW, both games in the duology combined are almost as long as P3/P4/P5, so they are shorter games on their own. I really highly recommend it. They have one of the best casts of characters. Also EP's cast is entirely adults, IS has 2 adult characters playable.
Are they games I'll need to consult guides regularly to get through? I don't play a lot of rpgs.

OP
OP
J 0 E

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
Would be fun if you provided some insight for your choices in the OP, so people would have more of an incentive to not just drop lists of names and images in the thread. Would provide a good example to people about how to post in the thread, I think it would make your thread better. I think it deserves it, as it's a good idea for a thread and can lead to interesting discussions.

Agree, edited the first post with some details 👍🏼

There's a lot of great #2 sequels, games with great improvements over the first one. For me these are the best

Metalgear2boxart.jpg

MGS1 is one my favorite games ever, so topping it wasn't an easy task. MGS2 is a huge leap in presentation / gameplay mechanics / enemy AI and behavior / Storytelling, I still can't believe that intro was made on a PS2 hardware. Sure Raiden is no Snake but the game succeeded in making me like him throughout the game and we saw Snake from a different, more interesting angle which is something I like very much (the same happened with Dante in DMC4 & 5).

Every MGS game has it's own vibe which make it special even compared to the ones after it and MGS2 is a great example.

Bravo Kojima and team for this remarkable sequel which still holds to this day.

NTSC_Resident_Evil_2_Cover.png

What I personally liked about RE2, apart from its great gameplay, is the fact that the game completely replaced the entire cast of the original RE with a totally brand new cast members as well as having a totally different setting yet the game maintained the identity of the series and what it is like to be a resident evil game and we still loved it. I had never encountered such a thing in gaming up until that point. It was a pretty bold move for a narratively connected series to do and it worked!

Critically and commercially, the game was even better than the original.

RE2 is better than the first one in everything imo but they didn't stop there. I loved the idea if playing different scenarios for each character which gave the game a bigger scale and depth. Plus the increase of gore is fitting for a game like this (they lowered it in later classic REs) + Leon & Clair are still my best characters in the series.

Shinji Mikami made the right call for giving Hideki Kamiya the lead in this and it shows.

550x633.jpg

ND tested the waters with the first Uncharted and nailed it with the 2nd one, Uncharted 2 is an example of how to make a cinematic / bombastic game while making the player in control all the time. Huge improvements in pacing, shooting, encounters design, scale, storytelling and of course technology.

Uncharted 4 is my best in the series but I can't deny the big impact of Uncharted 2.

And recently

The_Last_of_Us_2_capa.png

TLOU was and still a masterpiece, ND exceeded my already high expectations in TLOU2.

Without making a mini review: I love everything about this game

A bold story and events with great characters
The best AI in the industry (along with MGS5)
A huge step up in encounter design
The best animation ever in a game (still can't believe the GIFs I see)
An achievement in Graphics / Physics / Sound / Accessibility

This is the sequel TLOU deserves. Simply: My Game of the Generation

What I particularly liked about The Last of Us Part II and Metal Gear Solid 2 is the fact that both were AAA productions yet they still made some extremely bold decisions the likes of which you could only see in Indie games. And both games delivered on their messages that they were trying to say big-time.

What's your picks and why?

Side note: Any first sequel counts (Soulcalibur for example) not just games with #2.

Yup, that's why I used the quotes when I said "normal". Even then, DMC2 still validates the point because in that game the devs didn't build on the strengths of the first one while ironing the flaws; instead they went on a very different direction. Just slapping a 2 on your game's name won't instantly make it great, it's all those other things I said and which, usually, happen in the first sequel.
Exactly.

Last edited:

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Titanfall 2 at least the campaign is such a massive step up from TF1. Genuinely one of the best campaigns of the generation.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Are they games I'll need to consult guides regularly to get through? I don't play a lot of rpgs.
Not really. Just to get some of the extra stuff, but the game's perfectly beatable without that. Innocent Sin is a very easy game and can easily be beaten without a guide. Eternal Punishment is about a normal difficulty as long as you use the tools the game gives you. It's critical to get the right Personas for each boss in EP.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Jak II for sure. It's a much better platformer, and then Jak 3 ruins it by adding too much vehicle content.

RadioHeadAche

Oct 26, 2017
Not really. Just to get some of the extra stuff, but the game's perfectly beatable without that. Innocent Sin is a very easy game and can easily be beaten without a guide. Eternal Punishment is about a normal difficulty as long as you use the tools the game gives you. It's critical to get the right Personas for each boss in EP.
Did Innocent Sin get a release on PSN for psp/vita?

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Did Innocent Sin get a release on PSN for psp/vita?
Yes, that's the only official way to play it in English: the PSP version. There's a fan translation of the PS1 version out there.

EP's PSP version didn't release in English, but the PS1 version did, and it's available digitally on PSN on PS3/PSP/Vita/PSTV.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
220px-OgreBattle64.jpg

Ogre Battle 64. It takes everything that was great about Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen and puts it in a much more playable package. I think visually, story-wise, game play its just a masterclass in what to do with a sequel.

The team at Quest doesn't get enough credit for how amazing this game was.
One of my favorite games of all time, hard to express how badly i wanted a sequel, specially when the ending sets the stage for what would be the conclusion to the whole saga, Lodis, Palatinus and Zenobia clashing.

RadioHeadAche

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, that's the only official way to play it in English: the PSP version. There's a fan translation of the PS1 version out there.

EP's PSP version didn't release in English, but the PS1 version did, and it's available digitally on PSN on PS3/PSP/Vita/PSTV.
Well, I got some PSN credit recently, so I'll check it out. Hopefully it's not too much because I doubt that stuff will get discounted again.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Assassin's Creed II
Burnout 2: Point of Impact
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
DanganRonpa 2: Goodbye Despair
Dead or Alive 2
Ratchet & Clank 2
Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer
Twisted Metal 2
WipEout 2097

The ones that spring to mind

Mxlegend99

May 20, 2018
Half Life 2 was the one that immediately came to mind for me. But having looked at everything mentioned so far i would add Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 and Motocross Madness 2.