• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gen 3 got rid of most Pokemon from gen 1 and 2, and from reading some peoples responses, people did not like it back then either. However the remakes of gen 1 came and basically fixed it, I have a feeling thats what's going to happen after swsh
You could trade all the existing Pokémon back into Ruby and Sapphire, they just didn't show up in the pokedex. It was closer to Sun and Moon than SwSh.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I completely agree. Not only that, but things that were previously free are now going to cost money, for example, online battling, in addition to the game costing 20 dollars more for admission, and however much Home is going to cost for you to keep your Pokemon held hostage until Game Freak allows you to use them in another game again. For some Pokemon like Luxray, Cherubi, and Glameow, who haven't shown up in a regional dex since Gen 4, that's kind of a huge deal. Imagine if someone's favorite was Cherrim. Now they don't know WHEN they'll get to use it again, but they're going to have to pay a yearly fee to keep those Pokemon from being deleted forever in the mean time.
People are going to say "We don't know how much Home will cost" but if Bank is any indication, it'll cost as much as that or more if it has more features. It's extremely predatory, and I've seen people crucify companies for less.

and even w/ bank, you atleast had the option to move them back into the 3ds carts. i had a sub for a year or two, but moved everything into my carts, and cancelled the sub.

if i move everything to Home, i'd be screwed and have to keep a sub until im able to move them into the game (assuming that the next game even takes them). that's holding stuff hostage for years...

its gross

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The poster isn't saying that. The poster is saying the behaviour of adults when criticising a children's game is pathetic.

It's not a children's game... It's a game for everyone, that's how they market it. Saying it's a kids game really does not not contribute to the argument here and this is with me in agreement with the OP.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This isn't that much different than a fighting game sequel cutting the roster by a large amount. Even if the new game is decent on its own merits, people are going to be pissed off.

I think most people would have accepted a delayed Sword and Shield with more Pokemon in it. But clearly GameFreak is eyeing their other properties - Card Game, Merchandise, etc. that all have to sync up because new Pokemon = new products.

My take is that we're just getting a product that is less than what could have been.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
The amount of money they make from it doesn't get reflected in their game's and it's frustrating to see that. Nothing to do with "lazy" dev thing.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
and even w/ bank, you atleast had the option to move them back into the 3ds carts. i had a sub for a year or two, but moved everything into my carts, and cancelled the sub.

if i move everything to Home, i'd be screwed and have to keep a sub until im able to move them into the game (assuming that the next game even takes them). that's holding stuff hostage for years...

its gross
Yeah, the fact that it's a one way transfer to Home from Bank to me just screams predatory. I'm sure some kids are going to try and transfer their favorite Pokemon up and then find out they can't come to Galar because it's "too cold for them" or something, but not be able to transfer them back to Alola or Kalos either, so they're just going to have their favorite Pokemon stuck for a few years in Home.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't that much different than a fighting game sequel cutting the roster by a large amount. Even if the new game is decent on its own merits, people are going to be pissed off.

I think most people would have accepted a delayed Sword and Shield with more Pokemon in it. But clearly GameFreak is eyeing their other properties - Card Game, Merchandise, etc. that all have to sync up because new Pokemon = new products.

My take is that we're just getting a product that is less than what could have been.
It would be like if MvC3 was reusing the MvC2 sprites and movesets but cut half the characters.

Or like Infinity kinda lol

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest the distinct feeling I got from the OP is when you see someone call criticism of something toxic not because it is toxic but because you want to shut down criticism of said thing because you dislike the criticism being leveled at it so a good way to do that is to call it toxic and to completely disregard any and all criticism to said thing.

While I certainly don't support any harassment people are getting I feel the sentiments people have been expressing are completely valid in regards to the actual games themselves. To your point: Masuda being a hard worker =/= being a good game designer. If I work for 3 days straight on a book report but my report is of terrible quality should I get an A on it simply because I didn't sleep for three days working on it? No. Nor should he get a pass simply because he "worked hard" on the game. I don't doubt Gamefreak works hard nor would I ever call them lazy, but I can call their game design uninspired as of late. Not sorry that I expect more from a company that makes one of the top 5 selling video game franchises in the world.

I think the reason this has come to a head is because people have gotten tired of Gamefreak's uninspired game design and strange choices as of late and are complaining and loudly enough for Gamefreak to feel the need to actually respond. Sure their response was awful but at least this complaining means they do actually pay attention.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
We should all just be thankful that Game Freak was generous enough to even continue making Pokemon games. Gold & Silver were designed to be the final games, and they could've just stopped right there. Everything since then has been fan service. We all need to sit down and be humble.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And for a moment the people in this thread were actually starting to convince me that the "toxic" comments were about harassment and not just shutting down criticism.

OP specific two points were:

1. Calling GF "lazy developers" 2. Harassing staff members on twitter. How is another poster suddenly proof that the OP has an alternative motive?

shem

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty obvious to me, but if reading this you say to yourself "I haven't been doing this, let me dismiss this thread by saying #notallpokemonfans" maybe take a second that that maybe this isn't about you and you don't need to actually make that post.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

How many fighting games have 800+ (soon to be 900-1000+) fighters? I disagree with that being a good comparison.

That could be said about every game in existence.

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
The point I'd make in response to this is to ask when, after people have completed the games and had all the information, has GF done things that deserve giving them the benefit of the doubt on this one? I'm pretty sure the problems that a lot of people pegged about Let's Go prior to release weren't suddenly non-existent after the game came out.

The problem is not people critizising the problems, is them calling people shills because you don't hate a game that they do and going to threads constantly no matter the context to express that the game is bad and game freak is bad (even tho nobody has yet to play the game). Futhermore, people were super ahrd complaining about the lack of random encounters and that Gamefreak was just ruining the games, that it was a super awful decision and they made sure to post that in every single thread. A few months later the game releases and people love pokemons in the overworld and no more random encounter so much that some people were mad that they didn't seem to be a thing in the first trailer of Sword and Shield (and of course they called Gamefreak incompetent for not being able to evolve the game and actually regressing even tho pokemons in the overworld are a thing in SwSh).

Also, people can like a game with some flaws, but it seems with pokemon if you are not only talking about the flaws (previous to release obviously) you are a shill and game freak fanboy. This comunity makes it really hard to focus on the positive during discussions about the games when there are plenty, that doesn't mean we should ignore the bad parts but sometimes it seems only talking about the bad aspects is allowed and how someone dares to say something positive without saying all the things people dislike or are not good. I think that is pretty toxic.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Gen 3 got rid of most Pokemon from gen 1 and 2, and from reading some peoples responses, people did not like it back then either. However the remakes of gen 1 came and basically fixed it, I have a feeling thats what's going to happen after swsh

It will never be "fixed". They are going to stick with rotating Pokemon. If you want to play with certain Pokemon going forward, there's a simple solution to that; buy/play the previous games. We won't ever get them all in games again from what was said. Even if all Pokemon eventually get updated models and animations, we are never going back to what we had. Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon will be the last games where they're all in. No idea what will happen regarding Pokemon Home but you will just have to suck it up and pay the fee without a complaint because it's just a video game for children. Pay for the service and hope your Pokemon make it to another game.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
social media was a mistake. People really need to learn that sitting on a PC or a phone doesn't give them the right to harrast people. If you don't like the game, that's fair, but stop thinking devs owe you anything.
I said it in the thread about the original Evangelion translator getting harassed for years; being on the internet/social media/YouTube makes people feel they have a veil where they can anything they want about anything and not have repercussions for said actions. It's a foolish idea, if you use awful language or rhetoric online you should face as much repercussions as you would if you said or did the same things in public.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I think that a similar example of this toxicity is that of G.R.R Martin, the poor man is harassed and criticized because he does not write the books that the fanbase wants and he dedicates himself to doing what he wants.

And people believe that G.R.R. Martin owes them something or they should remove he and another author to write the last two books.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
I agree that the way this situation has been twisted into making personal and highly toxic statements about the developers of this game is sick and proves that players' priorities are fucked up.

I am also someone who is absolutely devastated by the National Dex issue; my enthusiasm for Sword and Shield is 100% dead in the water. And I think the priorities at Game Freak that led to this are not beyond criticism. To be frank, what they are doing with Pokemon is not just a design issue but the culmination of a trend of WORTH-CRITICIZING design issues that have been building in the series over the past several years.

HOW-FUCKING-EVER: Game Freak is clearly not lazy. You know what's lazy? Calling it "lazy devs" or "incompetent devs" or anything else that denigrates the game development staff as people. In fact, I would lay most of the criticism at the feet of The Pokemon Company, the people that manage the franchise, and the way they are, to use some unrefined language, capitalisming it the fuck up.

I think the real point that should be being made here is: not only should Pokemon have a significant amount more resources given to it considering its popularity and financial success, it should have that AND not be forced to be a yearly series. I think yearly installments are toxic, maybe inherently. Game Freak is absolutely doing the best job they can with the resources allotted to them and likely just doing the job they're doing is killing them enough.

And in that light, it's definitely unfair to be treating them the way people have been over this design issue, even though I do personally consider it a design issue. It's not a design issue that's worth solving if it will hurt people. No one should be sending themselves to the hospital to make our entertainment.

Still, I do think the design issue could be solved in a way that doesn't hurt developers. The solution is that Game Freak should have at least something like THREE TIMES THE RESOURCES, THREE TIMES THE BUDGET, AND THREE TIMES THE DEV CYCLE LENGTH FOR EACH GAME IN THE SERIES, because The Pokemon Company is a financial juggernaut that CAN AFFORD TO, AND CHOOSES NOT TO, TO EVERYONE'S DETRIMENT.

Needless to say, I'm done financially supporting the Pokemon series until that changes.

For the people asking how to criticize a game without being toxic, while still showing how strongly you feel about it, this is ALL THE WAY it.

I wish this post could be put into the OP. If you can't discuss things you feel strongly about like this, then you likely have other negative issues going on in your life.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People in this forum we saying that PokeYoutubers couldn't be true Pokemon fans because they didn't care about the issue.

People in this forum harrased Joe and called him the most toxic person in the fandom for not hating the game enough.

Is this everyone? No. It's not even the majority. But enough of them do it to the point where it overpowers the conversation. That is what the OP wants to stop. Not complaints itself.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We should all just be thankful that Game Freak was generous enough to even continue making Pokemon games. Gold & Silver were designed to be the final games, and they could've just stopped right there. Everything since then has been fan service. We all need to sit down and be humble.
This is some late stage capitalism shit.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I think that a similar example of this toxicity is that of G.R.R Martin, the poor man is harassed and criticized because he does not write the books that the fanbase wants and he dedicates himself to doing what he wants.

And people believe that G.R.R. Martin owes them something or they should remove he and another author to write the last two books.

At this point I'm resigned to the fact that George won't finish the series before he dies & I'll have to wait for them to find someone else to finish it like they did with the Wheel of Time (author died with 3 books left to write).

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

bad example because grrm is infamous for delaying his product until he gets it right instead of rushing out something half baked

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't recall threads here complaining about the toxicity when it was aimed at the games' critics.

I dont care if you dont remember threads about the topic, that is toxicity, and the topic at hand is toxicity. Doesnt matter when it happened.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Antagonizing Other Users
We've really come full circle.
Pokemon fans have went from the RPG version of CoD bros- willing to lap up anything GameFreak shits out so long as Pokemons logo is slapped on it and demanding every outlet give the game no less than a 8/10.
Now, NOW they announce a $60 game cutting half the rooster for 'quality' reasons that people have largely called horseshit, especially given GameFreaks history of doing the bare fucking minimum and still getting millions of sales and all of a sudden we are a toxic community.

I'm tired of this garbage. If EA/Ubisoft/Activision pulled this shit we would be taking a hot shit all over the company and salivating for the next fucking Jim Sterling video on Monday to put them on blast for another damn week.

But oh no- Masuda had to make a statement. They worked so hard guys!
Fucking tough shit. There is ENTITLED and there is rightfully criticizing a product that they expect us to pay $60 for. We are looking at a mainline Pokemon game that will have less content than the 3DS games for no good reason. The whole part of Pokemon is THE POKEMON. Fuck me if I had the gall to assume that before they did literally anything else in the production of a Pokemon game they would make sure ALL the Pokemon would be in it.
Now the discourse is being swarmed by Let's Go: Legpee and hyper casual Pokemon players pulling shit out of their ass or intentionally obfuscating the reality of the 'NationalDex' outrage so they can boast about how they are the 'good fans' because they only play Pokemon for the 25hr amusement park story and drop the game shortly after. Meanwhile everyone else who dumps over 300+ hours doing some variation of post game content that REQUIRES all the Pokemon being compatible with the games to get maximum enjoyment out of it are nothing more than entitled goons despite the fact that not even 3 weeks ago these same players were defending everything about SwSh in the dumpster fire reveal trailer thread on ResetERA and beyond.

Y'all are free to be the corporate defense force for the multi-billion dollar media behemoth. I'm sure James Turner himself will personally bless you with a review copy for your valiant efforts of downplaying- for the first time- a serious removal of a staple feature in the Pokemon franchise. Enjoy playing a game that gives you less for more.
I don't want to see you in Activision/EA/Ubisoft controversey thread of the week after this.

Edify

Oct 28, 2017
The problem with this is that adults have grown up with Pokemon so there's an emotional attachment. Saying it's a kids game to hand-wave criticism is not the best way to go about this conversation.

Why should anyone care about their emotional attachment? It doesn't validate the anger and toxicity they're spreading around a new game that is coming out for children.

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We've really come full circle.
Pokemon fans have went from the RPG version of CoD bros- willing to lap up anything GameFreak shits out so long as Pokemons logo is slapped on it and demanding every outlet give the game no less than a 8/10.
Now, NOW they announce a $60 game cutting half the rooster for 'quality' reasons that people have largely called horseshit, especially given GameFreaks history of doing the bare fucking minimum and still getting millions of sales and all of a sudden we are a toxic community.

I'm tired of this garbage. If EA/Ubisoft/Activision pulled this shit we would be taking a hot shit all over the company and salivating for the next fucking Jim Sterling video on Monday to put them on blast for another damn week.

But oh no- Masuda had to make a statement. They worked so hard guys!
Fucking tough shit. There is ENTITLED and there is rightfully criticizing a product that they expect us to pay $60 for. We are looking at a mainline Pokemon game that will have less content than the 3DS games for no good reason. The whole part of Pokemon is THE POKEMON. Fuck me if I had the gall to assume that before they did literally anything else in the production of a Pokemon game they would make sure ALL the Pokemon would be in it.
Now the discourse is being swarmed by Let's Go: Legpee and hyper casual Pokemon players pulling shit out of their ass or intentionally obfuscating the reality of the 'NationalDex' outrage so they can boast about how they are the 'good fans' because they only play Pokemon for the 25hr amusement park story and drop the game shortly after. Meanwhile everyone else who dumps over 300+ hours doing some variation of post game content that REQUIRES all the Pokemon being compatible with the games to get maximum enjoyment out of it are nothing more than entitled goons despite the fact that not even 3 weeks ago these same players were defending everything about SwSh in the dumpster fire reveal trailer thread on ResetERA and beyond.

Y'all are free to be the corporate defense force for the multi-billion dollar media behemoth. I'm sure James Turner himself will personally bless you with a review copy for your valiant efforts of downplaying- for the first time- a serious removal of a staple feature in the Pokemon franchise. Enjoy playing a game that gives you less for more.
I don't want to see you in Activision/EA/Ubisoft controversey thread of the week after this.

This post is disgusting.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
Also, what are we talking about in terms of harassment by the way? Toxicity on twitter/online comments or is it more than that? (genuine question)
The best example I can think of are some of the users in the initial thread about the cut Pokemon getting real personally heated at the Serebii headmaster and went from going after the arguments to going after his supposed morals and all that bunk.
The other shit I can assume are non-ERA related trolls and harassers like the average person on 4chan's /vp/ board

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
this is my biggest issue with the situation. what they're doing is incredibly predatory. pokemon has a huge fan base and what they're doing goes after older fans with decade+ of pokes and children.

its really gross that they're doing that, and people are justified to be upset.

i don't think you know what predatory means. Also you are putting this as if Gamefreak is an evil coorporation that wants you to suffer or put you and other long term fans down just for the sake of it when in reallity they are just trying to manage in th best way that they can with the resources that they have a shitty situation.

Dexit was inevitable at some point and is a must for the series to evolve even if the inmediate effects are not felt in this gen (since is in a transition state). It doesn't matter if the double or triplicate their staff, eventually they would have to do it. It doesn't come from hatred towards the fanbase or for wanting to annoy people like you and wording the critizism like that just foments toxicity since it portais Game freak decision as evil or ill-intended just because you dislike it when that is just not the case

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
This post is disgusting.
I could care less. I spent a lot of time on social media trying to get people to understand what the issue was only to either be told 'lol stay mad at Pokemon bruh' or get called entitled or whatever for asking a $60 game to have bare minimum $60 output. Especially when you consider studios the size of Gamefreak have done better than this.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
People in this forum we saying that PokeYoutubers couldn't be true Pokemon fans because they didn't care about the issue.

People in this forum harrased Joe and called him the most toxic person in the fandom for not hating the game enough.

Is this everyone? No. It's not even the majority. But enough of them do it to the point where it overpowers the conversation. That is what the OP wants to stop. Not complaints itself.
I've been having a hard time this past three weeks because of all the shit I've been getting.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I could care less. I spent a lot of time on social media trying to get people to understand what the issue was only to either be told 'lol stay mad at Pokemon bruh' or get called entitled or whatever for asking a $60 game to have bare minimum $60 output. Especially when you consider studios the size of Gamefreak have done better than this.

Nobody is defending people who are harassing you. There are toxic people on both sides of this issue.

The problem is this thread is not about limiting complaints or defending Game Freak or whatever else you seem to think it's about.

It's about not harassing people.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Lazy is definitely not the right term to use. Individuals at Game Freak work really hard. People should use terms that specifically refer to their resource management and business strategy (i.e. how much money/time they spend on development).

shem

Oct 25, 2017

Part of the process of growing up is realizing that all of this games stuff is pretty low stakes and not really worth getting upset about. If you don't like their choices then don't buy the game. Writing walls of text about it is simply a waste of time and energy.

The same goes for pretty much other nontroversy about downgrades and cut features from other companies as well.

Put that rage towards something productive like advocating for unionization of the industry to protect the people making the games instead.

I too was a teenager when the PS4 came out and I"m sure you could find a number of dumbass posts of mine raging about this that or the other.

Really it's not worth getting fussed over.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Anyone who calls themselves a "true fan" of something in opposition to "fake fan" is an imbecile, in Pokémon and in any other fandom.

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yes, I noted that you couldn't care less at developers being harassed, and you being upset about people not being mad like you.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's not coming out for children, my god...

And again I said that I agree with the OP so I'm not sure what you are saying.
I mean, it is. It's just some of us stopped accepting that as an excuse.

I like a number of games made for children. There is nothing wrong with enjoying games made primarily for younger audiences, even if it often results in a lesser game. But I don't think Pokemon will continue to be one of them.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the Pokémon fandom was a ticking time bomb to begin with.

It's a weird mix of nostalgia, people who want the series to stay in 1996, people who want the series to become an open world AAAA epic, people with 14 year old collections and thousands of hours played, people who only play the games passively, grown adults, literal children, influencers who report the news, influencers who report on fake news for clicks, etc

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I feel like the Pokémon fandom was a ticking time bomb to begin with.

It's a weird mix of nostalgia, people who want the series to stay in 1996, people who want the series to become an open world AAAA epic, people with 14 year old collections and thousands of hours played, people who only play the games passively, grown adults, literal children, influencers who report the news, influencers who report on fake news for clicks, etc
It's always been a ticking time bomb. They've always removed features from generation to generation, it just took some time for that feature to be something that actually upset a large amount of people rather than just a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.