• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So here I am. I'm a little kid. I have beaten all of Johto's gyms. I defeated Team Rocket. I won the Pokemon League. I realized, much to my delight, that that is only half the game, and stepped into Kanto. I conquered its gyms too. I was steeped in nostalgia at all the familiar faces and places.

I am told that winning the Kanto gym badges entitles me to enter Mount Silver, a legendary peak that only elite trainers have access to, and that I can find new Pokemon in, and I eagerly make my way there. I slowly scale the mountain, all the way to the summit. And there, I find a lone young boy standing in silence, his back turned to me.

It is very important that the true enormity of this moment sink in: a) this game had already pulled the rug from under me when I was allowed to go to Kanto. I didn't expect any more surprises; b) I was a kid, and the sudden realization of who stood before me, and what was about to happen literally blew my mind. And then I pressed A.

Red never speaks a word. He's silent, because he is the silent protagonist. But the music starts playing. The music starts playing, and...

This is a battle for the ages. There has been nothing like this. On the peak of Mount Silver, the two greatest trainers in the world battle. Nothing that I had done in my entire journey so far had prepared me for this. Red's Pokemon are literally over a dozen levels higher than any other trainer's; they're far higher powered than my own. His team constitution is, in game, brutal (I get that competitively, it's not great, but a), again, I was a kid and didn't know or give a shit about that, and b) in terms of the SP campaign(s), it's still far beyond any other trainer's).

I had zero indication I was going to fight a trainer at all. I was not prepared. It is a vicious battle, and when, at last, on the peak of Mt. Silver, I emerge as the greatest trainer in the world, Red just... disappears. And I stand there, alone. Having achieved my goal at last.

There has never since been a moment in video games that hit me as hard. A lot has to do with the fact that I was a kid, far more impressionable and immersed in the world of the games I was playing, of course. But the whole sequence is so masterfully done. It's an exercise in minimalism and restraint, in letting the player be told a story without speaking a word. It's magnificent, and the peak of Pokemon. That moment will never be beaten.

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
It's one of the darker turns for a hero of a Nintendo game. Sitting in a cave, cut off from his friends and family, cut off from his humanity. Red is shrouded in darkness and misery, he's accomplished everything and now he has nothing left.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the darker turns for a hero of a Nintendo game. Sitting in a cave, cut off from his friends and family, cut off from his humanity. Red is shrouded in darkness and misery, he's accomplished everything and now he has nothing left.

There's a lot of say about what happens to him when you defeat him.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree this was a pretty awesome and the most memorable moment I have playing Pokemon. I've only played up to gen 3

I'm definitely ready for a Let's Go Johto

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017

I think he just went to Mt. Silver to catch a Sneasal or something. Though I concede he may have been considering ending it all.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A fantastic way to end that game after being blown away by Kanto. It was insane.

"Your Pikachu is level 81!?"

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was the most memorable part of Pokemon to me and I'll never forget it.

There's never gonna be a moment quite like that ever again cause...you just can't replicate that. Pokemon at it's highest popularity going into a sequel... like no one expected that. It was completely unheard of to build up something like this among two games and it be a COMPLETE mystery. And they just built a second game with that in mind like idk It's hard to even express but it just cant be replicated in importance I feel.

You can only try to emulate it with sequels, but it wont feel as hard hitting as the first trainer ever you finding after silence in all this time. It's a sacred secret and the best conclusion Pokemon has ever had.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017

abb343a992bbc87e316dd87d1b587190.jpg

He was training hard to make a good impression on the people of Alola when he moved over there!!

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it was cool.

every description adds so much fluff to it though, indicating that there really isn't much there.

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
I remember getting wiped the first time because I didn't know he was there and was wildly unprepared. So awesome, such a great surprise.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
What makes me sad is that apparently he hasn't seen his mom in forever and she misses him when you talk to her in the games.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zekrom, N, and Ghetsis back to back.
Nope, because it's an expected culmination to a plot thread the game has been building up to across its entire length. Nothing indicated there would be a battle with Red, the very concept was unheard of. And then it just... happens. Out of nowhere, when you least expect it. There is nothing else in games that has done anything like this or even attempted it.

There's never gonna be a moment quite like that ever again cause...you just can't replicate that. Pokemon at it's highest popularity going into a sequel... like no one expected that. It was completely unheard of to build up something like this among two games and it be a COMPLETE mystery. And they just built a second game with that in mind like idk It's hard to even express but it just cant be replicated in importance I feel.

You can only try to emulate it with sequels, but it wont feel as hard hitting as the first trainer ever you finding after silence in all this time. It's a sacred secret and the best conclusion Pokemon has ever had.
This sums it up perfectly.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Only thing that could come close to me is if I got to face off against Lillie as a full fledged Pokemon Master or something lol

But yea, most memorable battle for sure

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I love how in HeartGold and SoulSilver they keep the classic Pokeball logo that appears when you face Red.

giphy.gif

tumblr_lmmmvnia021qh398qo1_400.gif

Oct 29, 2017
Imo, since Nintendo has yet to have you meet a reincarnation of Link from the past appearing in a new game looking still as his past self, there is chance they can do it again.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Pokemon Gold is why it's unfair for me to even keep buying Pokemon games. They'll simply never top it for me. Ever.

This sums it up beautifully. You just can't have this game again. It can't be done.

So N pops up in Sword and Shield. So what? Who cares?

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, because it's an expected culmination to a plot thread the game has been building up to across its entire length. Nothing indicated there would be a battle with Red, the very concept was unheard of. And then it just... happens. Out of nowhere, when you least expect it. There is nothing else in games that has done anything like this or even attempted it.

This sums it up perfectly.

I don't think anything indicated that N would beat the Champion moments before you arrive and hijack the Pokémon League.

Then the gym leaders go into open warfare with Team Plasma, you summon and capture a legendary Pokémon, you and N have a battle of epic proportions, and then Ghetsis comes in, reveals the extent of how fucked up he is (there's heavy implications that he abused N as a child), and you and him settle the score with one last battle.

And the credits theme. And the fact that the game doesn't end with you becoming champion, it ends with N flying away through a hole in the wall.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
It helps that at the time this was released, the Internet isn't the way it is now, otherwise everyone would probably know what they're in for.
That whole sequence was a shock for me too, and I played silver around the time emerald came out (I had the cartridge for a long time, but no Gameboy to play it on till I got a GBA SP with emerald). Those levels were pretty crazy, but mt. Silver was pretty tough as a whole so it was a great challenge

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Uh...the battle with Blue?

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh...the battle with Blue?
Why would that indicate a battle with Red?

It helps that at the time this was released, the Internet isn't the way it is now, otherwise everyone would probably know what they're in for.
That whole sequence was a shock for me too, and I played silver around the time emerald came out (I had the cartridge for a long time, but no Gameboy to play it on till I got a GBA SP with emerald). Those levels were pretty crazy, but mt. Silver was pretty tough as a whole so it was a great challenge
That's the other thing: no internet. No way to know what you are about to do. No one gushing about it everywhere. Your friends and you are making your way through the game together, and then, boom.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Really fond memories of Gen II. A really holy shit moment for me as a kid. It really does feel like a culmination and the fight is actually a challenge. At least it was for me as a kid with probably less than optimal choices in lineup and moves.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because they weren't gonna go that far and not put in Red. His team being STACKED was more of a surprise than actually seeing him.
Honestly, that Red, the protagonist of the original game, would be a fight in G/S never even occurred to me. I thought his involvement would be limited to at best being an NPC, if even that.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
What really makes this memory for me was that I didn't have the internet at this age and kids played Pokémon slow. I had no idea what was waiting inside Mount Silver. I already had the legendaries and thought it would just be a really big dungeon with rare Pokémon in it. When I first saw Red on my screen I had no idea what I was looking at. At first I thought it was "me" and didn't understand why there was a copy of me waiting there. I didn't know what would happen when I talked to it. I saved the game not in case I lost a battle but because I was actually a little scared about what was about to happen.

When the textbox came up as just ... ... ... I still didn't know what was happening. When the battle started and I realized what I was doing, I was gobsmacked. I had never played a video game with this sort of continuity before. It was not something I knew to be possible. I didn't know this was an idea anybody could ever even come up with. My tiny little lizard brain grew three sizes that day as I galaxy-brained myself in to a whole new world of what video games could do. It was a profound moment in my young life that was otherwise lacking in any sort of astonishment.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Playing GS with limited Internet access, knowing very little was so good. It was surprise after surprise after surprise as a kid. I don't think any new game could make me feel that way again.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the whole game has everyone wondering where he is and what became of him. And at the end, there he is, all alone in a cave, cut off from everyone and everything.
I'm pretty sure that's just a regular thing that Kanto folk do.

It's like... life isn't going your way? Fuck off to a cave for a little while, that'll help.

Fresh out of strong trainers to fight? It's cave time.
On the run from the law? They'll never find you in a cave.
Dojo just got replaced by a shiny new psychic-type gym? You'd better not skip cave day.
Humans created you, but you're done with their shit? I've got a cave that's just right for you.