• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best controller for the Nintendo Switch in your opinion?

• 8BitDo SN30 Pro+

Votes: 170 43.0%
  • Nintendo Switch Pro

Votes: 225 57.0%

• Total voters

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
That extra 20ms lag on the 8Bitdo controller is what turned me away from getting one.
Only having a single profile for the control layout ruined the remapping feature too, since you have to connect it to a PC to reprogram the layout every time.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
My switch pro controller has drifting problems (as well as my 4 other joycons)

So the the match is settled -i'll probably buy an 8 bit do soon.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I still haven't gotten around how annoying it is to sync the 8bitdo controllers with Switch. The only reason I see myself using it over the Pro Controller is if I need a better D-Pad.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Nintendo Switch Pro solely because it has HD rumble

Sadly 8BitDo SN30 Pro+ doesn't have it

That extra 20ms lag on the 8Bitdo controller is what turned me away from getting one.
Only having a single profile for the control layout ruined the remapping feature too, since you have to connect it to a PC to reprogram the layout every time.
Wow surprised some reviewers like Spawn Wave etc never mentioned this added input lag now I guarantee won't buy this

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I have both, and I love both.

But if I had to choose one, I'd probably have to go with the Pro Controller. It's more comfortable, it feels more satisfyingly robust, it's more feature-rich, it doesn't have as much difficulty pairing to the system. The one downside is the D-Pad issue, which is why I often find myself reaching for the 8BitDo when playing stuff like Tetris... but aside from specific use cases like that, I generally prefer the Pro Controller.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't own the Pro controller, so I can only speak on the SN30P+. It's overhyped, honestly. I don't like how close the analog sticks are, your thumbs will come into contact with each other. They're even closer than a DualShock it seems. The triggers are stiff and the buttons are a little mushy. The only part I like is the D-Pad, and I bought it primarily for retro games anyways, so I'm fine with it.

Nintendo Switch Pro solely because it has HD rumble

Sadly 8BitDo SN30 Pro+ doesn't have it

Wow surprised some reviewers like Spawn Wave etc never mentioned this added input lag now I guarantee won't buy this

I read that the latency issue was addressed in a firmware update. I bought the controller earlier this month and haven't seen any noticeable input lag, not even with Smash Bros. or Dragon Ball FighterZ. IDK, maybe I'm not sensitive to it.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I adore my Pro Controller, it's comfy to play for long sessions and having the HD Rumble is nice. I've heard nice stuff about the SN30.

I did have issues with the d-pad on my Pro at first (I got so many bad inputs when changing stuff in BotW) but I modded it. Ever since, I haven't had any more problems. It isn't the most comfortable d-pad, but it isn't the worst Nintendo has done - that honor goes to the Gamecube's d-pad.

So, if you're going to go heavy on 2D games, maybe you should check the SN30 pro, but if it's going to be used for all kind of games, I'd stick with the pro and mod the d-pad if it has the false inputs issue.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
I got the SN30 for my son as the second controller. The biggest thing for me was the cost. Nintendo wants 90 dollars for either the pro or the joycons. SN30 was way cheaper.

404Ender

Oct 25, 2017
I've never had d-pad issues with the Pro controller. I love the thing. The 8BitDo is nice too but I still give the former the edge.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
It's still crazy to me that a third-party controller has a better d-pad than Nintendo's official offerings. What happened, Nintendo?

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone had trouble with the SN30 Pro+ dpad not recognising inputs? This only happens on the up direction and only around 25% of the time. Pressing harder solves the problem, but that shouldn't be a necessity since the same level of pressure works 100% of the time on the other directions.

I think there is something wrong with my controller :(

Radokat

Oct 30, 2017
It's still crazy to me that a third-party controller has a better d-pad than Nintendo's official offerings. What happened, Nintendo?
Yes, totally crazy - I mean even the d-pad on my xbox one controller was better than the one I had on my pro controller.
Somehow they lost their way but it seems the issue got worked on at least.

I think there is something wrong with my controller :(
I think so too :/ never encountered that issue - you still can send it in for a replacement?

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
I think so too :/ never encountered that issue - you still can send it in for a replacement?
Yeah, only just bought it so no problem there.

Another thing I noticed was that I seem to be hitting the down direction on the dpad when rocking from left to right. This is especially frustrating in Mario Maker 2 when performing wall jumps. I guess this may be due to my broken dpad, but after reading this maybe I'm not alone?

Never had that problem with a Mario game before now.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, only just bought it so no problem there.

Another thing I noticed was that I seem to be hitting the down direction on the dpad when rocking from left to right. This is especially frustrating in Mario Maker 2 when performing wall jumps. I guess this may be due to my broken dpad, but after reading this maybe I'm not alone?

Never had that problem with a Mario game before now.
Urgh...got a replacement from Amazon for the above and now it has the same problem, only this time with right on the dpad! Either I'm really unlucky or 8bitdo have terrible QA and not many people are noticing the flaw. It doesn't happen all the time so it isn't obvious at first.

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Pro+ had issues connecting and input lag i was never able to solve on the Switch.

EDIT: Yes, I tried firmware updates and had no other controllers connected.

NimbusCub

Oct 28, 2017
Phoenix
For me the ergonomics of the SN30 Pro+ and spacing between the face buttons made it uncomfortable and a bit more challenging to play specific games like Hollow Knight.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After getting my SN30 Pro I've not used my pro controller. Both are quite good but the SN30 edges it out. Only issue I have with the SN30 is that the right bumper on mine has some issues, it'll randomly think i've stopped pressing it even while holding it, and this caused quite a few issues in Heave Ho.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a couple of non-plus 8bitdo Pro controllers (SF30 and SN30) a few days ago when they were on lighting deal to test out on some 2D games and I'm liking them quite well.

One is connected through USB and the other through the wireless adapter and I haven't noticed any real added lag through either. I would recommend them.

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
Which one lets me use rechargeable AA batteries, has a great D-pad, and lets me reprogram the useless screenshot button into a Turbo toggle?

It sure isn't the Nintendo Pro controller...

Edit: and it is quite easy, and inexpensive to replace the buttons of the 8BitDo SN30 Pro+ with Super Famicom colored buttons.

Oct 28, 2017
I was going to buy a SN30 Pro+ for the d-pad. It's mainly for shmups and Street Fighter I feel I need more precision than Nintendo Pro provides.

However, after some further research it seemed consensus was that the M30 has the superior d-pad (although missing analog sticks).

After using the M30 for a couple of weeks I have to say it's probably the best d-pad I've ever used. The disc shape is great for getting consistent diagonal precision and quarter circle movements. And it has just the right amount of resistance to it, with a slight click. Highly recommended!

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
2D games - 8bitdo
Everything else - Switch Pro Controller

2D games and games that suit a symmetrical set of analog sticks - 8BitDo
Everything else - Pro Controller

With the updated settings for dpad sensitivity I even don't have issues with the Pro Controller in Tetris99.
It took a bit to get used to the Pro+ since the triggers adds depth the normal SNES style pads don't have. I also still try to make the colors work for me:

AgIgrpe.jpg

You can exchange the face buttons with OEM SNES buttons (I got 4 red buttons from dead controllers) and the analog caps, however they have changed the DPad (the ball end is taller) so an oem dpad sits too low in the controller.

Last edited:

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Yeah, I haven't had a SN30 "Pro," but the N30 and SN30 pads I've had came with d-pads that were absolute garbage!
The SN30 Pro+ I bought though, has been pretty great for me. It's the first time I've liked an 8bitdo "nintendo-styled" dpad from 8bitdo like... at all (The M30 still has their best Dpad they've made though).

As for the OP? I've only used the Nintendo Pro pad very briefly and for like... Mario Kart and Smash Bros on Switch, and while I love the SN30Pro+ on PC and my Super NT (I like how it's that all-black look to match my SuperNT), I haven't used it on an actual Switch yet so I guess I'll refrain from voting.

I still wish they'd make an SN30+ without the analog sticks so I can have a competent wireless gamepad with a good d-pad for my SuperNT and that matches...

Ditto

I'm waiting for them to get retro receiver support for the official Switch SNES online controllers and I'll use that.

The NES online controller is pretty good with the retro receiver on my NT mini.

snesiscool

Feb 15, 2018
Switch Pro is better for the Switch overall, thanks to HD Rumble, NFC, home button wake, and (IMO) a more premium feel, while the SN30 Pro+ is better for PC thanks to its native XInput support with analog triggers and Steam-compatible gyro in Pro Controller mode. Plus it's way better for 2D games on any platform due to its vastly better D-pad.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
EC168-FC4-908-E-4367-8045-4818-B5-B4-D001.jpg

No-one told me that this controller was tiny!
I'm having mixed thoughts on the N30 pro. The dpad is small and sharp (!) and I couldn't manage a dragon punch in Street fights with it. The shoulder buttons are a little awkward to press too.

The price is good but it's hard to choose this over my Pro Controller.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
EC168-FC4-908-E-4367-8045-4818-B5-B4-D001.jpg

No-one told me that this controller was tiny!
I'm having mixed thoughts on the N30 pro. The dpad is small and sharp (!) and I couldn't manage a dragon punch in Street fights with it. The shoulder buttons are a little awkward to press too.

The price is good but it's hard to choose this over my Pro Controller.
Yeah I had no idea the N30 Pro was that small. That doesn't look great.

We've been talking about the SN30 Pro+ though. This guy on the left:
KrKwZ6jAmMJiWJazaoDzgG-650-80.jpg

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I have tiny hand so unfortunately the 8bitdo one is a bit more annoying to use cause i have to extend my thumbs to reach all the buttons, it's less confortable....

Here's how it look like, if it makes sense :

TTGEfRS.jpg

but it's still better than the pro for 2D games so :

2D games : 8bit do
3D games : pro controller

Last edited:

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Yeah I had no idea the N30 Pro was that small. That doesn't look great.

We've been talking about the SN30 Pro+ though. This guy on the left:
KrKwZ6jAmMJiWJazaoDzgG-650-80.jpg
I'm only just realising that there was a size difference between the two. I thought it was just handles!! Maybe I should sell this one and pick up the pro+.

I'm wary becauseI was super disappointed in the dpad on the original SF30.

Jun 2, 2019
This is my controller selection

p1Dvb_agNBhHzDuf_myu8j4JFTL9F-RZBHvJ7g0K93-shxMG2GdH6SeGESB7DW07vqZs-iA9ynBP5Grw_nb_0GaLp1cq8W_Aga7X7ybTiRIlqJyx2jcnwiiT2fg2DR3omLgUJ_XAkCZw63Y3iUb4W15Wn-6ekGSDj6zz2m6X2rNxm_p--udGNzenEm_dFOBzNpQZL48h2UUjBDtXgAd5WXQU68aPgb0T2YATZxgsFVNLgO1_gACt1gPLgoCJcnMMhFRhDQnVB6Dso1OYqeNqdiKTlaKusL7NwyjhaqhMB6Y4xdIm6PYQD5rwhUwqOlBUKnpZCbUH2rZWHndecRdBYrMzWysOuiQ-aux3FMeoRPt8Opib5zYU5qcCDDg65dPfHCXnO34YGcaIxEMkmu3F9gQCB8PsNtJSotQLRT-p9rn4AEatjV55z5ly9y_ByvwWVzc3_g7ht3zXKZJ9eO2UtgHj3dXfCiwelbmxzWDS2y4SrTlIk98yA0m-tSR4MFBvaZpx5pGI176lN_gdnPmgzHinTu8ty5gjyO8V4t6QOa8HClrObOaRGFqPQ_JM9qanGxRAsoQ-iR_IZsFehmAk3Q2g4g8TW_X3Ya45H_60FKHl0tV_-WqK8egVxdGyKnTyXHGT_8hQ0xC_06xl5qgkbQrfdr_GKr50bUY8jFuofdsS6d7jc8pMT2I=w1920-h924-no

I've had the SN30 pro+ lent by a friend and couldn't manage to get comfortable with it, the D-Pad still isn't as good as the M30's and Classic controller's (And SNES mini controller, too) and i'm not a fan of symmetric sticks in lower position

I advocate for the official Switch pro, even if the D-Pad is still not perfect.

Good thing about Switch's popularity is that you can use every single controller out there with it thanks to the appropiate adapter.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
The SN30+'s lack of proper gyro (it has it, but it's not as accurate as it needs to be for Splatoon 2), makes it hard for me to put it above the Pro, but the Pro's myriad of issues makes me wanna put it above it anyways. That controller is just not well made, man.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I love most of the official Pro controller, the D-pad is unforgivably bad. It's crazy how that passed quality control.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I use the SN30+ for 2D stuff and Pro for 3D. Also, SN30+ is a bit annoying to work with as it's not a seamless thing to use like and requires you plug it in to get the switch to recognize it.

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
Are there fakes of these out there? Wario64 posted a lightning deal the other day, and I almost bought one, but it was a different listing from the one Amazon and 8bitdo sell themselves, and the description and seller looked pretty sketchy.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
The Pro is a repeat of the 360 controller; it is a fantastic controller with a bad d-pad. Is the d-pad AS pad as the 360's? Obviously not. However, it is WAY worse than every other first party controller on the market. Honestly, it is pretty embarrassing.

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I haven't used the SN30+ so sadly can't say anything about it.
I did the tape mod for My Switch Pro controller and I've had no problems with it since then. Works great for 2d games.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
8bitdo controller is great with a ton of functionality but I'm going to have to give this one to the 40 hour battery life Switch pro controller.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here...does nobody else see the same issue with the SN30 Pro+ dpad failing to recognise inputs 100% of the time? They've sent me two pads now, both with the same fault on different directions. I've lost faith now and won't be trying a third.

I can only assume it's a widespread issue but people are failing to recognise it because it's OK for the majority of the time. The majority isn't good enough unfortunately, and I honestly couldn't recommend a controller with a broken dpad.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to this thread I now know there is a controller with a functional d pad and I just ordered it.

I've been watching pro controller threads since the switch launch waiting for news that Nintendo fixed the dpad so I could get a Pro. I'll take this instead.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
This topic is appropriate for me cross posting this

Switch Pro controller owner here. I own the original SF30 Pro which I don't really like all that much. I mean without the longer handles it can be cumbersome to use the analogs. I mainly got the SF30 Pro for my SNES Classic. Picking up the SN30 Pro+ was a revelation. It is by far superior to the original SN/SF30 Pro.

I'd say the Switch Pro is slightly shorter. I own both the SN30 Pro+ and a Switch Pro Controller.

The Triggers on the SN30 Pro+ stick out a bit further like the Dualshock 4. However the buttons and dpad pretty much are identical to the SNES controller (minus the longer grips, analogs, and triggers of course)

In terms of feel and lag. I think the SN30 Pro+ is more comfortable to hold as it's not as chunky/thick as the Switch Pro controller. The back is much narrower and thin, much like how the SNES controller is also thinner. The D-Pad is better on the SN30 Pro+ compared to the Switch Pro Controller (I play input sensitive games like STGs (Gradius, R-Type), and Fighting games (SNK Archives, Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection, and BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle)

Also for platformers like Gunlord X, Blazing Chrome, Bloodstained COTM, Oniken, The Messenger, and Odallus, I find the SN30 Pro+ to be much more precise.

I am very sensitive to input lag. As I said, STGs / Shmups are one of the main genres I play. Especially Mushihimesama, Crimzon Clover, Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Black Label on Steam, as well as Mame stuff. I've gotten FAR better runs using my SN30 Pro+ over any other controller I've used on my PC for Steam.

I tested the SN30 Pro+ on all of the above mentioned games and despite the lack of HD Rumble or NFC, in terms of pure controls and ergonomics, it's better than the Switch Pro controller in my short experience.

Nov 8, 2017
i was about to make a thread to ask how improved the SN30+'s dpad is because i really hate the switch pro controller for retro games.

Before you go and get duped like I did let me tell you, the SN30 Pro+ does NOT fix the dpad diagonal issue. I own a Pro Controller, SN30 Pro (original), and SN30 Pro+. All of them have issues with diagonals.

The Pro+ is the closest it gets but believe me, I just played through Celeste b-sides with it and the issue with it inputting diagonals is NOT fixed. It killed me a great many times, all it takes is a little pressure on the sides of whatever direction you're pressing and you'll get a diagonal you don't want. Mine tends to err on the upper side, meaning if I apply pressure downward on the left or right buttons they'll function as normal but if I apply any pressure upward (and even sometimes when I'm pressing left/right neutral) it turns into a diagonal upward.

The other thing that drives me crazy is that connecting to the Switch only works 50% of the time. Yes my firmware is up to date and yes it's the only controller on. I'm only about 8 feet away from the system and it takes 2 to 3 tries on average to connect. Sometimes it just searches until it powers off, other times it says it connects for a couple seconds (displays proper LEDs of a connected controlled) and instead of keeping connection and inputting the A button automatically it disconnects and powers off.

I really love everything about the controller except for those 2 issues but they are dealbreakers and am going to try to return it.