• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best controller for the Nintendo Switch in your opinion?

• 8BitDo SN30 Pro+

Votes: 170 43.0%
  • Nintendo Switch Pro

Votes: 225 57.0%

• Total voters

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I'm curious about your opinions & experiences between these two controllers which are considered the best beyond fans: The official Nintendo Switch Pro Controller, or the 8BitDo SN30 Pro+ Controller?

Which do you think is the best controller to use between the two?

Last edited:

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
If you play dpad-heavy games the Switch Pro controller isn't even an option.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Havent tried the Pro Controller, but the SN30 Pro+ got a fantastic dpad and good build quality. It's got one issue tho, it's ugly as hell.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
Having just gotten an sn30 pro+, literally the only thing the pro controller has over it is it can turn on the switch and the sn30 can't. Literally no reason not to get the sn30 with maybe the exception of people who vehemently hate symmetrical sticks. Hell the sn30 pro+ has the best build quality of any controller I've owned, it's absurd. I'm in love.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
i was about to make a thread to ask how improved the SN30+'s dpad is because i really hate the switch pro controller for retro games.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I literally just got the SN30 Pro+ for Christmas and I am in fucking love. The d-pad is way better than the standard Switch Pro controller. It's been an absolute joy to use. The ZL and ZR triggers are also much more satisfying to use. This is now my default controller.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Pro+ is just so freaking good, by far my favorite controller for the Switch. It got me to actually play a bunch of the 2d games I had bought for the system that were just sitting there.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
If the pro controller had a functional d-pad it would clearly win. It has the superior stick layout and fantastic button feel.

I also read that the 8bitdo controllers have more input lag than the pro, but i could be wrong on that.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
The Switch Pro Controller is a fantastic controller if you play any video games that are not 2D. If you play a LOT of 2D games though, the SN30 Pro Plus is Gucci. To me, symmetrical sticks are a huge no no. But, it's up to you, OP! I would love for you to try both and tell us which is your favourite.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
The SN30 Pro+ is soo good, i am using it on my PS4 using Mayflash magic s adapter, i really like the open area where you reset your thumbs in the dpad and buttons.
If i am playing 3D game on switch i will use the pro controller however.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
just got a sn30+ in the mail today for the PC, excited to try it out

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
The SN30 Pro+ is soo good, i am using it on my PS4 using Mayflash magic s adapter, i really like the open area where you reset your thumbs in the dpad and buttons.
If i am playing 3D game on switch i will use the pro controller however.
This adapter, can you use it to pair a xbox one controller with a ps3?

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
This adapter, can you use it to pair a xbox one controller with a ps3?
There is magic s pro which is new version that can works on most systems.
If the X1 controller has Bluetooth, it should works, there is new update that supports the elite 2 for all systems.

Edit: it doesn't works on the Xbox one though, just Switch, PS4, PS3, PC, NEOGEO mini, PS Classic.

Radokat

Oct 30, 2017
I was just talking to a friend about the SN30 Pro+.
Easily my favorite controller for PC and Switch.
The dpad is just great out of the box.

I also have the pro controller from the Switch launch batch which had a horrible dpad until I modded it.

Still the dpad on the SN30 Pro+ is better and it also has analogue triggers which is a plus for PC gaming.

Edit: Also it supports normal batteries.

Last edited:

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
There is magic s pro which is new version that can works on most systems.
If the X1 controller has Bluetooth, it should works, there is new update that supports the elite 2 for all systems.

Edit: it doesn't works on the Xbox one though, just Switch, PS4, PS3, PC, NEOGEO mini, PS Classic.
Cool, my dualshock 3 broke and that adapter seems like a cheaper route than buying a new one

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
I have been debating to get a Switch pro or the 8bitdo sn30 pro plus. I mostly play handheld but I want a controller that dosen't drift and comfortable to use but most importantly, I mainly want to use it for Smash. Which one is best for me?

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
While the Switch Pro Controller has its flaws, it still edges out the 8bit Pro + by a small margin due to having the ability to turn the Switch on, as well as utilize HD Rumble properly and amiibo functionality. With newer revisions having alleviated the most glaring issue being the +Control Pad mixed input by raising the pivot by a margin yet again, compared to the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 controller, the problems with the original have all but been ironed out.

I'm actually checking to see if there are firmware updates for the 8bitdo Pro + as even at max rumble, I still find the feedback non-existent to too soft on certain games such as Daemon X Machina and Warframe. I can barely tell if I'm firing unless it's a sustained heavy barrage.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a 8Bitdo SN30 Pro+ edition with the real (aka EU / JPN) SNES button colors?

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
While the Switch Pro Controller has its flaws, it still edges out the 8bit Pro + by a small margin due to having the ability to turn the Switch on, as well as utilize HD Rumble properly and amiibo functionality. With newer revisions having alleviated the most glaring issue being the +Control Pad mixed input by raising the pivot by a margin yet again, compared to the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 controller, the problems with the original have all but been ironed out.

I'm actually checking to see if there are firmware updates for the 8bitdo Pro + as even at max rumble, I still find the feedback non-existent to too soft on certain games such as Daemon X Machina and Warframe. I can barely tell if I'm firing unless it's a sustained heavy barrage.
Excuse me, i have the xenoblade 2 controller, and the dpad is still shit, also i really hate it when i press on that dpad.

woodypop

Oct 27, 2017
Neither is the 8bitdo, that dpad is not right. It's very noticeable once you get the SNES pad and play them back to back, the 8bitdo feels way off what it should be.

For dpad games you need to get the wireless SNES / NES pad.
I was waiting for this comparison. Thanks!

SiG

Oct 25, 2017

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
I do reach for the Pro Controller for 3D games but that's half so it's not languishing, half because I'll use the SN30 + on PC for that purpose now. I absolutely prefer it or Nintendo's own SNES controller for 2D on Switch.

EDIT: And while the D-Pad is tolerable on my XB2 pad it's still off enough to prefer the other two. Plus symmetrical, especially on top, is preferable for D Pad games I feel.

deltabreak

Oct 29, 2017
This 8bitdo controller can't turn on the switch? So you need to have a controller on the side just to turn it on?

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
The SN30 Pro dpad isn't much better than the Switch Pro dpad. The official Snes controllers for Switch beat both. The only downside is that the Z buttons are hard to reach.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I just want a wireless controller with a good build, analog triggers, motion sensing and a recharge battery (20 hrs minimum). HD rumble is a +. I don't think that even exists yet

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Recently bought an SN Pro + and Im now looking to sell my Switch Pro controller. Its a shame because the pro controller is the nicest feeling controller to hold but the terrible d-pad is completely unacceptable.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
The SN30 Pro dpad isn't much better than the Switch Pro dpad. The official Snes controllers for Switch beat both. The only downside is that the Z buttons are hard to reach.
The Pro + is great. The standard Pro... I tried the wired form and yeah, it sucked.
Yeah, I haven't had a SN30 "Pro," but the N30 and SN30 pads I've had came with d-pads that were absolute garbage!
The SN30 Pro+ I bought though, has been pretty great for me. It's the first time I've liked an 8bitdo "nintendo-styled" dpad from 8bitdo like... at all (The M30 still has their best Dpad they've made though).

As for the OP? I've only used the Nintendo Pro pad very briefly and for like... Mario Kart and Smash Bros on Switch, and while I love the SN30Pro+ on PC and my Super NT (I like how it's that all-black look to match my SuperNT), I haven't used it on an actual Switch yet so I guess I'll refrain from voting.

I still wish they'd make an SN30+ without the analog sticks so I can have a competent wireless gamepad with a good d-pad for my SuperNT and that matches...

pdog128

Dec 16, 2017
This is a very timely thread. I actually ordered the 8bitdo last night from Amazon, but I'm considering canceling it. I just keep going back and forth. I'm only going to use it on the Switch, so added compatibility isn't really a big deal. But then again, most Switch games don't use Amiibo so that doesn't matter. Wake function isn't critical but might be nice. I don't play a lot of 2D games, but there are some.

Ugh. I don't know. The Pro is on sale for $55 right now, the 8bitdo is $45. Just don't know if it's worth the extra tenner.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been using my 8bitdo for my nvidia shield tv pro.... I love it over the actual pro controller.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
8bitdo's product naming is weird, so hopefully everyone is on the same page that this is the controller being discussed

s-l300.jpg

The previous version of the controller (and many other 8bitdo controllers) had a bad dpad, but this one is honestly great.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
I was kindly gifted Mario Maker 2 for Christmas and the sheer awfulness of the standard joycons for 2D games made me go out and buy a black SN30 Pro+ (shame they don't have an SFC colour scheme). The fact it is about £20 cheaper than the Pro didn't hurt either.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
I was kindly gifted Mario Maker 2 for Christmas and the sheer awfulness of the standard joycons for 2D games made me go out and buy a black SN30 Pro+ (shame they don't have an SFC colour scheme). The fact it is about £20 cheaper than the Pro didn't hurt either.

Where did you buy yours in the UK if you don't mind me asking?