• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kevans09

Apr 17, 2022
think this is a badass rendition. unlike joker where they can focus on bad guy for 95% of movie here they had to balance other characters with a new batman who was great and think it really worked. great tone and pacing. some epic shots.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
The general difference in impressions on this site between those that saw it in theatres to those (presumably) seeing it via streaming is fascinating.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
I laughed out loud of the ridiculessness of some parts, mainly riddles and the relationship between batman and selina.

The movie is all style and no content, the story is very bad, and the narrative arcs for some characters are shockingly bad, I do not see why people adore it so much.

It does not matter if I saw in a big screen or small, this movie had problems during the script writing phase.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The general difference in impressions on this site between those that saw it in theatres to those (presumably) seeing it via streaming is fascinating.

What do you mean? Regardless of how people viewed it I'm pretty uniformly seeing about 85% positive 15% negative, rather shockingly on par with the RT score. Might be the rare time where critic and audience reception generally line up.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
Was wondering why they released this movie so early in the year?

Would imagine it would have been an even bigger "go see it in theaters!" movie if it was released now or in June.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
TDK is kinda embarrassing compared to this. There: Batman and Bruce are perfect in every way. Here: Batman would be a complete outcast weirdo similar to Incels and Bruce doesnt exist .

Serpico99

Oct 29, 2017
NYC
I agree the third act is the weakest, but lately I've been feeling a lot of films third acts have felt weak to me for a while. I think I know why too... TV shows have almost caught up to films in quality and definitely in story telling. A good season finale is always god-tier because they have time to ramp up to it. When a film has like 20-30 min to end it we get a little whiplash, because we are used to a slow burn compared to something like Better Call Saul. That's just my feeling, but films have stuck the landing too. Comedies are the worst culprits of bad 3rd acts.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
Best thing was how Batman was kind of awkward in the scenes where he interacted with the police during investigation. Like he knew he looked silly in a batsuit and didn't really know how to act normal.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Best thing was how Batman was kind of awkward in the scenes where he interacted with the police during investigation. Like he knew he looked silly in a batsuit and didn't really know how to act normal.

Yep. I mentioned before how they all stared at him like he was an alien.

That's one of the many reasons I loved this movie and think its grounded nature really worked for it (obviously with a few comic book exaggerations). There's absolutely nothing normal about a guy walking around in a batsuit, and people stared at him like anyone would stare at anyone walking around in that costume when it isn't Halloween, especially in a crime scene.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
That scene with the flare is also where the cinematography (wonderful throughout) was especially striking to me and where it was at its most impactful to the storytelling, with Batman acting as a literal beacon in the darkness to lead others to safety, signifying his acceptance of his new role.

Yes it was very impacting, including the fear and hesitation the citizens of Gotham had when they saw him asking to take his hand as they were bracing the flood, only to have the former mayor´s kid be the first to emerge and trust Batman to save them with everyone else following after. I mean, the whole ¨young boy can sense he is truly good¨ symbolism seems kind of cheesy on paper but the execution was just very powerful given that he knew Batman was there the night his father was killed to help find who did it.

Rod

Oct 25, 2017
It was announced by Emmerich himself

Thats a message this thing is held the highest regard on their upcoming projects

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I honestly can not even comprehend the third act complaints, I stand with AniHawk. The third act is what makes the movie so damn special. I watched it for the second time today and got choked up.

I already want to watch it again. I want to soak in the atmosphere of this movie for days

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Finally got the chance to sit down and watch...I wanted to wait until I had the opportunity to do so uninterrupted. What a goddamn movie. Triumphant.

This is easily my favorite DC movie ever by a wide margin that is not Mask of the Phantasm

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
really wish this movie was rated R... was better the second time but i doubt i will ever watch it again... i hope its just joker and batman in b2 we dont need this many characters

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Just watched this last night, so pretty stoked to see the sequel news. Really enjoyed this one, loved Gotham and Pattinson's Batman. Was curious about the last part of the movie as I was seeing my friends say it went on too long, which I can now understand why they feel that way, but I actually liked it and thought it was just fine. Wouldn't mind if it was cut out, but I think it's actually better for having it. Might have helped that I enjoy long Batman stories from the comics so having this "case" with the Riddler go on for so long felt natural to me.

Hoping the second movie changes the cowl to cover more of Bruce's face though, lol. Looked weird from the font, like he only had the top half of the cowl.

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping the second movie changes the cowl to cover more of Bruce's face though, lol. Looked weird from the font, like he only had the top half of the cowl.
This my thought too. Its like they looked at Bales cowl and were like "yea let's avoid this, it looks ugly" and went to the other extreme.

I've mostly warmed up to the cowl and tbf it looks good most of the time in the movie and only looks weird when he is seen dead on centre like on that one poster.

Edit: the one in the OP.

Last edited:

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
This my thought too. Its like they looked at Bales cowl and were like "yea let's avoid this, it looks ugly" and went to the other extreme.

I've mostly warmed up to the cowl and tbf it looks good most of the time in the movie and only looks weird when he is seen dead on centre like on that one poster.

I liked that the cowl showed more of his face, though on a practical level, you'd think a guy like Jim Gordon who stares at him plenty as Batman in even pretty clear lighting and definitely got a good look at Bruce Wayne at the gathering would have recognized that chin. And would certainly recognize him now that Wayne's probably gonna be on TV a lot more often.

And yeah I know it's an old comic book thing. People disguise themselves completely wearing just a domino mask or even no mask at all, but still. It did make me wonder as I was actively watching the movie.

I do like the idea that's sometimes used where guys like Gordon kinda basically know who it really is and just pretend not to, even to themselves. And Batman knows he knows. Everyone just keeps up the charade as some strange mix of both respect and plausible deniability.

Rod

Oct 25, 2017
Looking now at the full picture from the whole run of the movie, gotta say they played really well the marketing for it. We had the launch, then the "rataalada" stuff updating weekly revealing some nice stuff and additional things (deleted scene, riddler comics, all movie background docs, etc..) till it led to the HBO MAX release week and now, basically keeping up the timed weekly update, the sequel announcement .

This kept the movie talk on the buzz. It was nicely planned by whoever was in charge of it.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Ironically (considering how much of his face is visible) I find Pattinson's Batman one of the only ones where it isn't so obvious who the guy under the mask is. With Christian Bale it was like slap-you-in-the-face obvious; his top lip and the way his mouth moves when he talks are probably his most distinctive features and his cowl really highlights them. Absolutely no mistaking that Bruce Wayne and Batman are the same guy there. Affleck, Clooney and Kilmer also extremely recognisable under the cowl, Keaton it depends on the angle. But Pattinson? Honestly, I can buy that people wouldn't put it together.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looking now at the full picture from the whole run of the movie, gotta say they played really well the marketing for it. We had the launch, then the "rataalada" stuff updating weekly revealing some nice stuff and additional things (deleted scene, riddler comics, all movie background docs, etc..) till it led to the HBO MAX release week and now, basically keeping up the timed weekly update, the sequel announcement .

This kept the movie talk on the buzz. It was nicely planned by whoever was in charge of it.

The 45 day streaming window was perfect- it kept the movie in the zeitgeist the whole time.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I saw it in the cinema a couple of weeks ago, I thought it was just OK. I liked the overall tone and incel-ish Riddler but it didn't ever really get my spine-tingling. Not enough time was spent on Bruce Wayne, he is in the suit for almost the entire movie. I didn't really get invested in him as a character. The film feels like a slick mishmash of various existing Batman stories (especially the Telltale series) but doesn't really have a soul of it's own. I don't think it came close to Batman Begins. It was a fun two hours but that's all.

Also the part where a baffled Gordon says "USB?" like it's some space-age technology made me laugh out loud.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I liked the first half well enough, but sadly I feel the Riddler becomes a bit cringe later on. Having a literal YouTube channel with 500 subscribers, while realistic I guess, comes across a bit dated. Imagine if Ledgers Joker had a YouTube channel scene in TDK, it'd just be weird. Sometimes I think it's better to keep things more vague. I also don't really think the 3rd act works well, felt pretty clunky

Also the part where a baffled Gordon says "USB?" like it's some space-age technology made me laugh out loud.
Yeah, and why did they stick a USB into their own computer from a known serial killer...? Batman is a tech genius right, he'd know thats a bad idea. Who knows what else it did along with sending out emails

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
The film needed a third act, just a better one. One that didn't turn the villain into a cartoon caricature to serve the plot
What?

Riddler was so realistic as to be unnerving. There are people analyzing the movie who say it was very uncomfortable how close it was to reality (even going so far as to say it was irresponsible that Riddler was right in any way). Like you have people watching the movie in theaters being uncomfortable because they remember what happened in Colorado. He's far from a cartoon caricature.

The movie is all style and no content, the story is very bad, and the narrative arcs for some characters are shockingly bad, I do not see why people adore it so much.

It does not matter if I saw in a big screen or small, this movie had problems during the script writing phase.
The writing is very well done. The themes are strong throughout, the threads are tied up at the end, everything from the use of Batman's gadgets to how he operates and talks to others are consistent with the themes, etc. It is one of the most comprehensively written comic book movies.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
The film needed a third act, just a better one. One that didn't turn the villain into a cartoon caricature to serve the plot and main character and in a way that felt more at home in some 90's Batman film than this one

Though tbf, I'm not sure a single Batman movie I've seen has not had third act problems. It's like a constant of the series at this point.

90s Riddler

riddler-the-batman.gif

The Batman´s Riddler

cda5b0a48eaf138210bbd7ae80b0a7f94b15e63e.gifv

One is a cartoon caricature and the other is a disturbingly real imagining of a serial killer in the modern world that takes inspiration from real mass murders like the Zodiac killer.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
What?

Riddler was so realistic as to be unnerving. There are people analyzing the movie who say it was very uncomfortable how close it was to reality (even going so far as to say it was irresponsible that Riddler was right in any way). Like you have people watching the movie in theaters being uncomfortable because they remember what happened in Colorado. He's far from a cartoon caricature.

The writing is very well done. The themes are strong throughout, the threads are tied up at the end, everything from the use of Batman's gadgets to how he operates and talks to others are consistent with the themes, etc. It is one of the most comprehensively written comic book movies.
Nah, I saw a movie where shit just happened and in some scenes the characters said what they wanted us to understand about them and their motivations.

Plus the riddles where ridiculous.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
This tells me more about you than anything related to the quality of this movie
Thanks for the quality reaponse, that was very nuanced and positive. I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

The riddler was such a missed opportunity in the third act, I couldnt believe how they decided to portray him in that interrogation scene. I hope they go with a different villain on the sequel, that scene ruined this riddler.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the third act was very refreshing for a superhero movie. For once we get a superhero movie where the hero doesn't even lay a finger on the villain, and climax of the movie is Batman just saving people, and becoming the true essence of a hero, not just a vigilante.

Did they really announce a sequel!?

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What?

Sorry, hard disagree.

It was a well written character up until the film decided to make the Riddler go from someone that had clearly defined motives and reasoning behind their actions, with a hyper degree of focus(which also negates the notion the Riddler is just "irrationally crazy") to servicing Robert Pattinson's Batman character arc via writing the character in service of that plot instead of any established precedent the film had set forth.

The Riddlers motives all movie were calculating, clear, and concise toward seeking vengeance on the perceived perpetrators of his core trauma from his youth and seeking to target those in particular he saw as personally wronging him. Done with a serial killer like obsession and precision. A thought provoking contrast to The Batman's own misguided seeking of vengeance while also challenging the audience by subverting many of the Batman tropes and taking a slightly harder look at capitalism without the Nolan-style apologetics.

Then, instead of going further and exploring those ideas or the character to its natural conclusion, the film pulls back, pivots, completely abandons the Riddler's established character motives and turns the Riddler into a cheap prop that sets aside everything the movie established about him and just turns him into a super villain hell bent on destroying Gotham. Persumably because the writers wanted some sort of catalyst event to break The Batman's vicious cycle of vengeance and to see the light so to speak. But the problem with the third act is that it achieves that by creating a scenario that 1.) Doesn't really feel appropriate in this comparatively grounded movie we've established for nearly three hours, and 2.) does so by just abandoning what the movie had established about the chief villain to quickly get us there and create cheap shock value.

The most immediate comparison that comes to mind is when GoT just sort of heelturned Dany into a murderer of innocents without actually establishing that character leap, but clearly done to service getting the story to where the writers wanted it to be.

Last edited: