• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Digging the Italian steelbook:

814t2HxrfAL._SL1500_.jpg

71nkubOInPL._SL1500_.jpg

813SLTkQDIL._SL1500_.jpg

THE BATMAN (2022) STEELBOOK Esclusiva Amazon (4K Ultra- HD + Blu-Ray): Amazon.it: Matt Reeves, Peter Craig, Matt Reeves: Film e TV

Compra THE BATMAN (2022) STEELBOOK Esclusiva Amazon (4K Ultra- HD + Blu-Ray). SPEDIZIONE GRATUITA su ordini idonei
🤤🤤🤤

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
the amount of n*lan posting itt is depressing...has not made anything ok in the last decade aside from dunkirk. it's time for him to give up.

anyway...listening to catwoman's theme (again) on apple music rn....giacchino bodied this score and you can't tell me otherwise 🤷‍♂️

You talking madness.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see a young Robin in a second film. In fact, I'd be really curious to see Jason Todd specifically. I'm personally kinda sick of that story but I'd still be curious about seeing an adaptation of it on the big screen.

snackshack

Oct 30, 2017
I really liked Batman's monologuing diary (big Blade Runner vibes). Loved the movie and its use of sound gave me chills sometimes.

BSherrod

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I enjoyed this as much as so many of you all. It had some great scenes and decisions, but I left the theater kind of whelmed. There's something to be said about how hard they committed to their vision of the movie and at times it works, while other times it was just a hair too much. However the sequel is approached will probably determine how I feel about this one ultimately. A great sequel is possible from some of the ideas laid out in this movie, but if Year 3 Batman doesn't show more sides of the character I' ll probably just think it's alright like this one.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Riddle me this - what movie fucking slaps harder on the second viewing? This fucking one. Wow, I already loved it mostly but with reservations after seeing it initially on Saturday, but this thing plays soooo much better the second time through. I'm now fully of the belief that this is the best Batman movie ever.

It has the best script (I actually like the cleverness of a lot of the Riddler stuff and how a rat with wings does kinda fit with each and all of Penguin/Falcone/Batman), the best acting, the best set and costume design, unquestionably the best cinematography and is probably the best directed too.

I mentioned before that I wasn't sure if Bruce Wayne appeared in a single shot of the movie, that it was Batman the whole way through, and how unique of a take that was. I think I'd backtrack a bit and say Bruce is in there, however he is in a state of arrested development. He's a 10 year old boy inside who hasn't gotten over his trauma. And instead of looking within himself to find Batman like most previous incarnations of the character, this time he is using Batman to try to climb out of his trauma. Just a staggeringly cool and unique take on the character that I don't think we've ever seen onscreen before.

Also, in every Batman movie we are shown that criminals are afraid of Batman. Just because. I feel like this is the first movie that actually shows why. The scenes of hearing his footsteps in the dark and his ghostly visage bleeding out of the darkness is just *chef's kiss*

And the third act? It's still too long but goddamnit, it works beautifully. Batman's presence and the chicken and egg scenario of it also creating and inspiring the mania around him is something that has been discussed for years but this is the first movie to really do a deep dive into that and come out the other side with the realization that it isn't enough to mercilessly beat thugs to a pulp in the darkness and that he has to step into the light and be a symbol of hope.

I haven't seen it again yet (probably will have to wait till home release) but everything you said echos my first viewing. Masterful film.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I'd be happy enough with a 60fps patch for the Arkham games(and an Origins port please) but it saddens me we have no Batman games to look forward to at all. Gotham Knights doesn't count.
Watching this made me go back and play Arkham City again but I'm stuck playing it on my PC because its the only way to play it at 60 FPS.

60 FPS console ports timed with this launch would be easy money, WB!

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
I'm not sure how i feel lol

Batman loses the city is destroyed and he failed miserably at catching a W

Good job dude. lol

Also ending scene with Selena doesn't make sense. they are both driving fucking loud ass motorcycles in a quiet cemetery and batman still surprised her
???
Riddle me that!

I think this one is a creeper though. Pretty amazing Batman movie now that it's starting to sink in

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Riddle me this - what movie fucking slaps harder on the second viewing? This fucking one. Wow, I already loved it mostly but with reservations after seeing it initially on Saturday, but this thing plays soooo much better the second time through. I'm now fully of the belief that this is the best Batman movie ever.

It has the best script (I actually like the cleverness of a lot of the Riddler stuff and how a rat with wings does kinda fit with each and all of Penguin/Falcone/Batman), the best acting, the best set and costume design, unquestionably the best cinematography and is probably the best directed too.

I mentioned before that I wasn't sure if Bruce Wayne appeared in a single shot of the movie, that it was Batman the whole way through, and how unique of a take that was. I think I'd backtrack a bit and say Bruce is in there, however he is in a state of arrested development. He's a 10 year old boy inside who hasn't gotten over his trauma. And instead of looking within himself to find Batman like most previous incarnations of the character, this time he is using Batman to try to climb out of his trauma. Just a staggeringly cool and unique take on the character that I don't think we've ever seen onscreen before.

Also, in every Batman movie we are shown that criminals are afraid of Batman. Just because. I feel like this is the first movie that actually shows why. The scenes of hearing his footsteps in the dark and his ghostly visage bleeding out of the darkness is just *chef's kiss*

And the third act? It's still too long but goddamnit, it works beautifully. Batman's presence and the chicken and egg scenario of it also creating and inspiring the mania around him is something that has been discussed for years but this is the first movie to really do a deep dive into that and come out the other side with the realization that it isn't enough to mercilessly beat thugs to a pulp in the darkness and that he has to step into the light and be a symbol of hope.
I will say that Begins definitely shows us why criminals are afraid of him. The whole mantra of Begins is using fear as a weapon, in fact. That first encounter with Batman is terrifying.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I enjoyed this as much as so many of you all. It had some great scenes and decisions, but I left the theater kind of whelmed. There's something to be said about how hard they committed to their vision of the movie and at times it works, while other times it was just a hair too much. However the sequel is approached will probably determine how I feel about this one ultimately. A great sequel is possible from some of the ideas laid out in this movie, but if Year 3 Batman doesn't show more sides of the character I' ll probably just think it's alright like this one.

I felt the same way. It caught me off guard because Batman media are some of my favourite things, but ultimately I think that's the reason why.

A lot of Batman extended media draws from the same well of source material - namely Batman: Year One and The Long Halloween. They're the 'serious' takes (themselves being inspired by movies like Taxi Driver and The Godfather). Batman Begins and The Dark Knight already take heavy inspiration from Year One & TLH, then there are games, and animated adaptations.

I also think that a great sequel is possible, but for me I think it would need to branch out of the comfort zone of that 'Year Two' / 'pre-Robin' storytelling. You don't even need to have Robin, but dare to risk an audience not caring about a guy with a frozen wife and a liquid-nitrogen flamethrower - one of the other 95% of Batman stories that can be told that aren't about crime families or the Joker.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Much like the comic book movies Avengers Endgame and Black Panther, I don't really get this movie or understand the praise this film is getting.

I thought it was a fairly forgettable 6.5/10 competent movie that had nothing new or interesting to say. A goth'd up Batman made up from a patchwork of Se7en, The Crow, Dark City, Blade and Equilibrium. Forgettable action. Too monotone. Too monotonous. Far too serious. At times the script and dialogue was clunky and incredibly prosaic/cliche. The story was... again, competent, but 'rat with wings' not obviously being batman irked me. No, it doesn't work close to as well for a falcon or a penguin!

On the upside Colin Farrell was just a cool/bizarre sight. Zoo Kravitz was magnetic. Paul Dano was good. The cinematography was pretty.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see a young Robin in a second film. In fact, I'd be really curious to see Jason Todd specifically. I'm personally kinda sick of that story but I'd still be curious about seeing an adaptation of it on the big screen.

They already have Robin ready to go if they choose to go that route.
The mayor's son

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
When I came out of the theater I thought that in no way would I have the will to watch this anytime soon.

But the more I think of the movie, the more I like it (as fucking exhausting as I found the hefty length at times, which soured my enjoyment a lot) and I'm so ready for a rewatch. By the time this comes out on HBO Max, that's the first thing I'm doing.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I don't know if it was posted yet but here is an amazing interview with Matt Reeves, Michael Giacchino and the crew about The Batman. It's a real great discussion with a lot of great insights about the making of the film.

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017
Saw a interview where they discussed that theory lols:

I hate that theory lol.

That thought never once occured to me while watching the movie. I saw it the way Matt Reeves explained it in that video.
The kid basically just there as a parellel to Bruce and he sees himself in the kid having lost his father. Doing a Robin thats not Dick Grayson to begin with just seems wrong haha.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I hate that theory lol.

That thought never once occured to me while watching the movie. I saw it the way Matt Reeves explained it in that video.
The kid basically just there as a parellel to Bruce and he sees himself in the kid having lost his father.
Everytime someone brings that character up you can notice Reeves getting nervous. Must be a writers worst nightmare trying to include him in a live action movie that is relatively grounded in reality.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather no Robin whatsoever. I don't care who is behind the mask, it's just not something I'm personally interested in.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
I think this Bruce will need a Robin by the third movie. He at least needs someone he can work through this shit with.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like if they did tackle Robin it'd have to be a second Trilogy thing with an older Bruce. Doing it now would be too soon.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like if they did tackle Robin it'd have to be a second Trilogy thing with an older Bruce. Doing it now would be too soon.

God I hope they don't pull a TDKR/Skyfall in this trilogy and jump from Year 2 to Year 20. I hate that shit, no one wants to see junior Batman to senior Batman with no prime in between.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Fraser will create some kind of cinematography bible for the spin off shows. It's gonna be a bummer if Gotham looks inconsistent between the movies and upcoming series.

edit: speaking of which..

variety.com

How ‘The Batman’ Cinematographer Greig Fraser Reinvented the Dark Knight’s Big Screen Presence

'The Batman' cinematographer Greig Fraser breaks down how he shot director Matt Reeves' brutal new take on the Dark Knight.

Fingers crossed we get asked to do another one, I guess.

lol.

Last edited:

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I believe both Reeves and Pattinson have voiced interest in him. But they've also said Calendar Man and Court of Owls too, so lots to choose from.

Not sure about Court of Owls now but Calendar Man could be cool especially if it's done like Long Halloween with him in the background but given what Reeves said about the deleted scenes they were going to do that originally
with their proto Joker

Bruh

Might try and see this a second time, can't stop thinking about it.

What killed the dinosaurs? The ice age!

didn't actually mean the pun but it's funny all the same

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Much like the comic book movies Avengers Endgame and Black Panther, I don't really get this movie or understand the praise this film is getting.

I thought it was a fairly forgettable 6.5/10 competent movie that had nothing new or interesting to say. A goth'd up Batman made up from a patchwork of Se7en, The Crow, Dark City, Blade and Equilibrium. Forgettable action. Too monotone. Too monotonous. Far too serious. At times the script and dialogue was clunky and incredibly prosaic/cliche. The story was... again, competent, but 'rat with wings' not obviously being batman irked me. No, it doesn't work close to as well for a falcon or a penguin!

On the upside Colin Farrell was just a cool/bizarre sight. Zoo Kravitz was magnetic. Paul Dano was good. The cinematography was pretty.

"Batman" wasn't the answer to "rat with wings". It was a word play for two things at the same time: URL, and that the "rat" also had "wings". A Falcon isn't a rat with wings, but Falconi IS a rat and is related to an animal with wings

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
I was one of the few it seems that didn't care at all for the movie. But I've been reading all the positive impressions posted here and I'll give it another shot this weekend, approaching it from a different perspective.

Anyway the one thing I don't think I can get over is how out of place Alfred seemed. I felt no Alfred/Batman chemistry at all.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
I was one of the few it seems that didn't care at all for the movie. But I've been reading all the positive impressions posted here and I'll give it another shot this weekend, approaching it from a different perspective.

Anyway the one thing I don't think I can get over is how out of place Alfred seemed. I felt no Alfred/Batman chemistry at all.

Yeah, I think that's intentional in this one. Alfred is just staff to Bruce in most of this movie.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Fraser will create some kind of cinematography bible for the spin off shows. It's gonna be a bummer if Gotham looks inconsistent between the movies and upcoming series.

edit: speaking of which..

variety.com

How ‘The Batman’ Cinematographer Greig Fraser Reinvented the Dark Knight’s Big Screen Presence

'The Batman' cinematographer Greig Fraser breaks down how he shot director Matt Reeves' brutal new take on the Dark Knight.

lol.

Yeah I'm torn about the shows. On the one hand I'm excited because I think both ideas are pretty slick conceptually and could be interesting as hell. On the other hand I'll be beyond bummed if they don't look at least half as good as the movie does.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"Batman" wasn't the answer to "rat with wings". It was a word play for two things at the same time: URL, and that the "rat" also had "wings". A Falcon isn't a rat with wings, but Falconi IS a rat and is related to an animal with wings
Gotcha, ok I was wrong and stupid about this in particular. Like I said at the start, most people seem to love this movie, it's possible I'm in the wrong here, not that I thought it was bad, I thought it was solid.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda wondering where people would fit this in their CBM list now that there's been a little bit of time to process. Tiny bit. I just don't have love for Nolan's trilogy, so I have Marvel joints I'd put above those.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda wondering where people would fit this in their CBM list now that there's been a little bit of time to process. Tiny bit. I just don't have love for Nolan's trilogy, so I have Marvel joints I'd put above those.

For me personally, it's only second to The Dark Knight.

So it's my second favorite CBM. I could even see it surpassing TDK, but the barrier is the unreal performance of Heath Ledger.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
For me personally, it's only second to The Dark Knight.

So it's my second favorite CBM. I could even see it surpassing TDK, but the barrier is the unreal performance of Heath Ledger.
It really is the best. Like, I know every tick and line, practically, and it still has the same effect every time he does his thing. It's why I don't need Joker again for a good long time. Let Bat's other foes breathe.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like Nolan's trilogy is getting new releases as well:

817sVhpNUUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

81uKGo7tXFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

13694528-1064938981773304.jpg

UK preorders at the moment, but I would be surprised if it is UK only. Either way, region free discs.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird how so many of y'all can't except more than one thing being good. Either one thing is the best ever or the other is dogshit. So Nolan's Batman is not "cartoony" with "bad cinematography" and "bad acting." But The Batman is now ultimate kino. Y'all need to go outside.

:O

The first Telltale Batman is so fucking good.

And to no one's surprise, I would love for them to do a Dick Grayson origin story.

It's so good it makes me hate
the soft-peddling this film did regarding the Waynes.

I loved TellTale's different take on the Waynes in which Bruce's parents were basically monsters, as you expect from billionaires. We even see a bit of this in the Joker. So when this film alludes to that I was hoping they would follow this path. But then they quickly back peddle, nah Thomas Wayne was a good guy and made a small mistake which cost him his life. Boooo. I liked the TellTale alternative version because it changes Bruce's mission from that of vengeance to redemption. He must atone for his family's past, Gotham is so shit largely in part to this family. Thus, he sees it now as a responsibility to correct his family's mistake.

For me it probably wouldn't crack Top 5. I enjoyed it, but I wasn't blown away. I mean, my Top 5 would basically be (in no order):

The Nolan Bat Trilogy
Spider-Man 1 and 2

After that (again, no order):
Spiderverse
No Way Home
Infinity War
Black Panther

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
It really is the best. Like, I know every tick and line, practically, and it still has the same effect every time he does his thing. It's why I don't need Joker again for a good long time. Let Bat's other foes breathe.
"So in a way, I know your friends better than you ever did. Would you like to know which of them were cowards?"

God, every single line and scene really is endlessly quotable and memorable

Only way a new Joker could really escape that shadow is going full Scott Snyder horror movie Joker or straight-up doing TAS Joker in live action

The glimpse we got in this reminded me of Stuart Gordon's Castle Freak (which truthfully could also be a solid Two Face design)
image-w1280.jpg

Joker as the Arkham Castle Asylum Freak lurking in its depths could be an interesting direction too