• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This was superb.

I wish I watched it in a higher quality cinema and with IMAX, that Batmobile scene was beyond this realm.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
That was awesome. Fucking awesome. Want to watch it again, I loved it.

Best Batman live action, by far. I like TDK, and the other two of the Nolan trilogy are fine, this one just took it to the level Batman has to be at.

Fucking amazing.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
The steel book is looking hot
F987-CA7-C-EFAA-4742-85-F5-0-F059-C3-F5495.jpg

I hope Best Buy has decent stock

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be buying the 4K BluRay as soon as it's available. Theater viewing was great but I'm stoked to see it in 4K on the OLED.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Thought it was fabulous, what I've always wanted out of a Batman film, grounded yet not fearful of its roots. In fact it dives headlong into the comics. Perhaps overlong and overstuffed, yes, but I also feel the slow pace let it truly breathe. In many ways this is the film Zack Snyder seems to think he's making about Batman (but actually lands somewhere between teenage violence revelry and surface level Fisher Price's My First Deconstruction), a grim and gritty one that actually considers Batman a character instead of just the rock a more memorable villain is anchored to. Where Batman is, where he should be, what he can mean, and even ideas raised about him from the public discourse, are all genuinely considered in the film.

Wonderful visuals and music, great cast, and a genuine uncompromising vision. So many incredibly memorable sights and sounds, that Batmobile chase is the best they've done in any Batman film to date (and I thought the big one from TDK wouldn't be topped)

It won't be for everyone but they firmly had their idea of what the film was supposed to be and executed it. In a blockbuster age that is rare to come by. I think it may be the best live action Batman film so far.

Last edited:

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Someone on Reddit made a comment that Bruce Wayne actually doesn't appear in this movie at all. Pattinson is Batman in and out of the cowl. His whole arc is him realizing the Bruce Wayne masquerade was necessary

Oh definitely. The most interesting Batman stories always feature Bruce Wayne as the alter ego and not the othe way around.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
My only criticism is the combat was mid. Snyder remains undefeated there. Better than Nolan action though. Great film, I'd love a Reeves trilogy.

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
Saw it again this morning. It's long, but that isn't a bad thing. I want more of this universe! Top tier Batman. It rivals TDK as a movie and is a better Batman story imo.

never

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely my favorite Batman movie. Every single character blew it out of the park and Patterson was my favorite Batman by a mile. I hope they do more with him.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking,
with the focus on orphans in general, how Thomas Wayne was going to help and how when that help never arrived it created an environment from which The Riddler was born, and how Bruce now has his attention on that, if we could see Robin in this universe. It would make sense for Bruce to feel compelled to do more to help orphaned children now.
Regardless, DC needs to get their shit together and make this the definitive Batman for their extended universe.

Was that
venom he injected himself with at the end?
It definitely could have been a nod to it, but
I just figured it was adrenaline.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Pass on the extended universe stuff. Just keep this separate and build it's own world. Way more interesting.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
Just came back from my 2nd viewing and I like it even more now! The 3rd act didn't seem disjointed as it slightly did when I first watched it. I loved it all from start to finish.

IMAX in NYC was worth it! The sound was better and my wife jumped a few times from the sound alone. You felt everything. It was my 2nd time and wife's first and she absolutely loved it as well. Couldn't stop gushing about it. She knew nothing about Matt Reeves and couldn't believe it wasn't Nolan 4th film after how much she disliked the Snyder Affleck stuff.

Question - I now have seen it 2x and I still don't get how Alfred and Bruce solve the first puzzle/cipher from The Riddler. They work through some stuff and get to the clue
DRIVE
but how? I missed it both times.

Also the
the hesitant kid in the Joker gang. He was in Titans season 3 wanting to be the new Robin. Would be awesome if they bring him back and we learn that's Dick Grayson....

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah, I'd have to say this would be much better to wait for streaming. There's a solid 90-minute Batman noir movie in here, but it's buried under too many uninteresting and unsurprising plot shifts. Wait for HBO Max, watch it on an HDR-capable TV in a pitch black room (even the dim theater lights totally washed out the screen, the movie looked ugly with external lighting). This ain't the one to make a trek to the theater for.

7/10 is the most I can give it. It has a lot of solid ideas, but it's just such an underwhelming experience.

Last edited:

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just came back from my 2nd viewing and I like it even more now! The 3rd act didn't seem disjointed as it slightly did when I first watched it. I loved it all from start to finish.

IMAX in NYC was worth it! The sound was better and my wife jumped a few times from the sound alone. You felt everything. It was my 2nd time and wife's first and she absolutely loved it as well. Couldn't stop gushing about it. She knew nothing about Matt Reeves and couldn't believe it wasn't Nolan 4th film after how much she disliked the Snyder Affleck stuff.

Question - I now have seen it 2x and I still don't get how Alfred and Bruce solve the first puzzle/cipher from The Riddler. They work through some stuff and get to the clue
DRIVE

Also the
the hesitant kid in the Joker gang. He was in Titans season 3 wanting to be the new Robin. Would be awesome if they bring him back and we learn that's Dick Grayson....

They remove all the symbols they don't have a letter for. Essentially it was filled with red herrings

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019

DRIVE

Also the

Eyyyy!! Glad you enjoyed that Lincoln Center Imax! Im fortunate to say that's my home theater. No need to travel far for what I consider to be the peak movie-going experience

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah, I'd have to say this would be much better to wait for streaming for. There's a solid 90-minute Batman noir movie in here, but it's buried under too many uninteresting and unsurprising plot shifts. Wait for HBO Max, watch it on an HDR-capable TV in a pitch black room (even the dim theater lights totally washed out the screen, the movie looked ugly with external lighting). This ain't the one to make a trek to the theater for.

7/10 is the most I can give it. It has a lot of solid ideas, but it's just such an underwhelming experience.
Agreed, I'd give it a 6/10 personally. I'm glad other people are enjoying it but it is highly overrated in my opinion. I think i went in with too high expectations

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
Eyyyy!! Glad you enjoyed that Lincoln Center Imax! Im fortunate to say that's my home theater. No need to travel far for what I consider to be the peak movie-going experience

Yeah man used to be my home theater too when I lived in Queens. Watched all the Nolan Batman movies there too so it felt right to see this there. Forgotten how amazing that place is.

Oct 27, 2017
I think most Batman stories work better if they take place before there's a Superman. BvS timeline I think works well for that. Let science experiment stuff create Clayface, ManBat, Mr. Freeze, ect. in Patman movies. I think this new universe would be great with that.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Batman TAS still the best Batman BUT i actually loved this movie. Much better than the nolan ones for me.

Also i was afraid because so much people were saying it was depressing, etc...
But holy shit, did the miss the end of the movie or something. Pattinson's Batman has a clear character act and
theres a lot of hope and the character being more human by the end, hopefuly being a much better Bruce in the next movie. And also im really glad they didnt kill Alfred and that they didnt go "the waynes were acatually bad people" like other shit cough*thejoker*cough tried to do.

Michael Giacchino did incredible also, some similar vibes to Shirley Walker.

SomeOneInaHat

Nov 9, 2017
It was a beautiful yet extremely dull movie. I felt anxious instead of thrilled/suspensed through most of it, which was exasperated by the long length. I really couldn't fault the production, it was all impeccable and the acting was well done all around. I would have never expected Colin Farrell to pull off a great Penguin, but he was always the shining moment when he was on screen.

Last edited:

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
Also with covid, plus having young kids, and just not being able to go out much, I realized with this movie how much I missed the bog movie theater experience.

Of course it helps if it's a good crowd. We went to a 1030a show today it was sold out and it was a great experience. Had to show covid vaccine proof which helped. Everyone was into it and added to the experience

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
I was really liking it at first, but for me it really started dragging. Still enjoyed it overall, something like a 7/10 for me. I think I would have definitely like it more if they could find a way to shave half an hour off the film. Still looking forward to see where they go with this Batman.

lol they should have played that instead of nirvana in this

Nah, we should have gotten Welcome to the Black Parade instead. The lyrics fit almost perfectly lol.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Extremely long and extremely good. The length didn't bother me as much mainly because
Pattinson was pretty much always batman...but he was in the suit A LOT.