• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
The problem isn't photorealism. The problem is art design.

Spider-Man PS4 was photorealistic and looked like its own thing. Square Enix's Avengers looks like MCU cosplay.

This is largely what I was going to post. Spider-man made photorealism work really well. The costume design is really off, though. I don't know why they went the direction they did, but it just doesn't work.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Even though the designs aren't that great at least from initial impressions, let me dress up my character in a variety of suits and thats a guaranteed sale from me.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Nolan North's Tony Stark voice is just Nolan North. He's not doing anything to sound different from his normal everyday speaking voice. Willingham is just doing standard Willingham voice for Thor, too.
Do you really think it would be smart for him to just try to do a caricature of RDJ? No. Instead he will be focusing on giving a strong performance. You don't need to warp your voice to make a great performance.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Not really. People complained a lot about Peter's face in Spider-Man PS4 when it was revealed. "Discount Andrew Garfield" "Looks like they mixed all Peter Parker actors into one", bla bla bla. And people complained about the padded suit and white spider to hell and back. Now they just got used to it and it looks normal.

The same will happen to the Avengers game. We'll get used to the faces and they'll look normal when we see more of them.

Oh man really? People will complain about anything it seems.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
B7Ps37z.png

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Insomniac's Spider-Man could obviously get away with changing Spidey's face because he's had three separate actors in the past two decades. We're totally used to not having a set Peter Parker.

The Avengers, on the other hand, have never been relevant in live-action outside the MCU, so changing their faces while keeping them realistic is going to be weird. But either way, Spider-Man 2019 and Square Enix's Avengers game both look excellent. It's literally just that disconnect factor with the faces.

The Ultimate Alliance game is basically a phone game, like I'm not even sure how you can do the comparison. It looks unbelievably cheap. If the MCU movies didn't exist, people would be losing their minds over how cool the Avengers game looks.

Agreed. Ultimate alliance looks nowhere good as this game, lmfao... era makes me crack up.

The reality is this game will sell gang busters , and outside of the people on this forum everyone online is excited and could care less about "models" because they are casual gamers and want to fuck up stuff as hulk or Ironman/Thor. Combine that with kids who's just saw endgame and they'll love playing a character that "acts" like the MCU component - look at the LEGO marvel games and the proof is there.

SIde note: captain isn't staying dead right? Heard somewhere that the shield throwing mechanic feels like god of war

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I'm more interested in the Square Enix game tbh. The notion of another gaas Marvel game is very exciting to me. Sure it might be shit but I am more likely to play it for much longer than the Switch game. I'll get the Switch one though for sure if the reviews are good.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Do you really think it would be smart for him to just try to do a caricature of RDJ? No. Instead he will be focusing on giving a strong performance. You don't need to warp your voice to make a great performance.

He doesn't need to do Downey's voice. But Nolan's regular voice is fucking Deadpool. It's kind of hard to take Tony Stark seriously when he's talking in the exact same voice as Deadpool.

Jan 9, 2018
This almost feels like UMVC3 vs MVCI all over again. By now you'd think that people would realize that people would realize that comic book artstyles ALWAYS look better than chasing after a halfassed MCU look.

Random narrative? People have been shitting all over the Avengers game from the moment it was revealed, that's not random at all.
I just think its random that people are being so negative over it when it doesnt look bad. Just doesnt look like the mcu actors. Its a wonder a game like this even gets made and people decide to be nit picky and cry

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
I didnt like and still don't like how some of the MUA3 characters look, but Avengers made it look so much better retroactively.

Still think MUA3 can be improved a lot.

How far beyond fucked up do my eyes have to be for me to think MUA3 looks better than the Avengers game?...
You just need normal good eyes. On the other hand if you think Avengers looks better. Y I K E S.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Someone needs to give Crystal Dynamic's Cap some Rogaine

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of artstyle, what struck me is SE avengers game is the game that looks like it aged poorly because they were going for realism in some industry wide fad 10 years ago, except it's a new game and it's not out yet.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
The avengers game has that shitty movie tie in look. Cant believe anybody thinks it looks good.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean it's not hard to get the design right when it comes to UA3's graphical style...

Avenger's graphical style is more complex and they wen't with realism. The art design isn't the best but it has grown on me.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
It's less that MUA3's art style is remarkable and more just that Avengers' is that bad. Cap looks like every puffed-up shithead cop I've ever known. Thor looks like a third-string community wrestler.
Captain America looks alot like the way he's drawn in the comics, moreso Butch Guice...

Thor's hair should have been cut short but otherwise I don't see how it didn't undeniably look like the Thor we aren't all used to...

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
To be totally honest it looks like the bare minimum amount of loot you could give a game like that. It's one of the things I'm disappointed with it.
I mean it's not Diablo where you have 5 customizable characters with relatively similar builds. Mua3 has somewhere over 37 characters in the base game alone and honestly it's way more loot than the original game's

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Yep between the two, MUA3 looks better and more in line with the comics.

But still excited for both regardless.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
It's just poor art design. If you're going the realistic route, you're gonna need incredible art design and the AAAA budget to match. Spider-Man PS4 and RDR2 both have the realistic artstyle and both look fucking INCREDIBLE.

In this case, you have a somewhat poor looking realistic game and a decent looking cartoony game. The decent looking cartoony game will win that battle every time.

Hoping they can fix this between now and launch. I'd be fine with a delay tbh. Most impressions of the gameplay demo at e3 said the game just looks and feels very early in development.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The whole thing is bizarre, apparently the gameplay is just a normal beat em up? LMAO the thing could probably been out earlier this year if they werent adding gaas garbage

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Is "MuA3 lOoK's LiKe a phOnE gAmE" this year's equivalent of "octopath shouldn't be worth $60"? I swear, these bad takes pop up like clockwork.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I honestly don't get the complaint of "bootleg Avengers". Did anyone honestly expect them to be the movie likenesses and actors?

This is the same sort of treatment as Spider-Man, but you don't see people whining about Peter Parker not looking like Tom Holland or Toby Maquire.

The reaction was instantaneous. Every single person that saw it (that I know) made fun of Cap and the rest. They didn't stylized them or changed them enough. They could have build their own design interpretation but choose to follow a ... "realistic but ...worse than the actual MCU characters" style ? Why?

If you are not going to change them, but also not going to make them the same , then of course people will prefer the actual look. Movie cap looks 900% better than this blonde dude in a realistic art style. Same with Tony and the rest.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
already told my brother if he wants the superior marvel game hes going to have to get a switch. MU:A 3 looks so good

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Not really. People complained a lot about Peter's face in Spider-Man PS4 when it was revealed. "Discount Andrew Garfield" "Looks like they mixed all Peter Parker actors into one", bla bla bla. And people complained about the padded suit and white spider to hell and back. Now they just got used to it and it looks normal.

The same will happen to the Avengers game. We'll get used to the faces and they'll look normal when we see more of them.

Ahem. Excuse me.

I haven't gotten used to the white spider. It still looks terrible.

That's it.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
All the voice actors were bad choices, honestly. Laura Bailey as Black Widow just sounds like regular Laura Bailey. None of them can disappear into the roles they were given because none of them are even trying to.
Nolan North's Tony Stark voice is just Nolan North. He's not doing anything to sound different from his normal everyday speaking voice. Willingham is just doing standard Willingham voice for Thor, too.
They've been the voices of Black Widow & Thor since 2012 (MvCI & probably MUA3 included). Marvel even forced Capcom to recast Chun-Li in MvCI since Marvel called dibs on Laura.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
She's been the voice of Black Widow since 2012 (MvCI & probably MUA3 included). They even forced Capcom to recast Chun-Li in MvCI since Marvel called dibs on Laura.

And she's horribly bland. Absolutely no personality or uniqueness to the voice. I know she's basically best buddies with all the voice directors in the gaming industry nowadays, but I kinda expect something distinctive out of a Black Widow voice, not just "stock, off-the-shelf Laura Bailey".

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Avengers looks terrible, the art direction is bland and there's weird uncanny valley going on.

Also, it's pathetic how people are resorting to 'UA3 looks like a mobile game!!111one'. My god, are you all so incapable of conveying thoughts properly that this is the only form of criticism you can make?

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
The reaction was instantaneous. Every single person that saw it (that I know) made fun of Cap and the rest. They didn't stylized them or changed them enough. They could have build their own design interpretation but choose to follow a ... "realistic but ...worse than the actual MCU characters" style ? Why?

If you are not going to change them, but also not going to make them the same , then of course people will prefer the actual look. Movie cap looks 900% better than this blonde dude in a realistic art style. Same with Tony and the rest.
So they aren't "handsome" enough?...

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MUA3 indeed looks cool! And they brought their own Lara Croft :v
Nintendoes what SquareEin't
characterArt.png

Elsa-Bloodstone-Nextwave-Marvel-Comics-e.jpg

And so many cool characters!
screen-customize.jpg

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the characters in that trailer look off. Something about Cap looks weird too. Like his armor is too bully and as a result makes it look like he has a beer belly.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. Ultimate alliance looks nowhere good as this game, lmfao... era makes me crack up.

The reality is this game will sell gang busters , and outside of the people on this forum everyone online is excited and could care less about "models" because they are casual gamers and want to fuck up stuff as hulk or Ironman/Thor. Combine that with kids who's just saw endgame and they'll love playing a character that "acts" like the MCU component - look at the LEGO marvel games and the proof is there.

SIde note: captain isn't staying dead right? Heard somewhere that the shield throwing mechanic feels like god of war
The God of War comparison is for Thor's hammer

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
The problem could be that the Avengers game has probably not the budget for such an realistic artstyle. Now it's looks just cheap.

The Switch game looks definitely not high budget too, but it looks good nonetheless, because the artstyle is just easy on the eyes without uncanny.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metroid Other M and Ninja Gaiden 3 say hi.
Having to be honest...

Tomb Raider since 2006 sends her regards...

Crystal Dynamics is not a studio known in terms of delivering tight game mechanics, or a tight plot. They can create some interesting cinematic set pieces though (But for Tomb Raider that wasn't the ideal)
Their best Tomb Raider worked on the back of Core Design's layout (Anniversary).

That was Eidos Montreal.
Key people from Crystal was still at the helm. Eidos Montreal was more grunt work (Sadly, because they could have given it their own spin? Dunno)

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
This is oddly how I feel. My hype for Avengers went down the drain with that reveal.