• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What platform have you amassed the most games on?

• PlayStation

Votes: 60 27.1%
  • XBOX

Votes: 10 4.5%
  • Nintendo

Votes: 20 9.0%
  • Steam (PC)

Votes: 122 55.2%
  • Handhelds

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • Mobile

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 1.4%

• Total voters

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
Maybe most, if not all of us, have amassed a serious collection of games. Whether it be through Steam, PSN flash sales, Humble Bundles, thrift store pick ups, eBay lots, or even something as easily accessible as Game Pass, the amount of games we have at our fingertips can be staggering and make it difficult to finish games. Picking one is another struggle, too. So many choices...

So, lets talk about how we handle this and how we're progressing! Hopefully this thread can give us a kick in the right direction or to blow off some steam over the struggle of dealing with so many games. Do you tend to stick to one console or series and play them all to get the full experience? Do you hop back and forth with just whatever seems right? Do you have a system set up?

Currently I'm working my way through Persona 3 Portable and Yu-Gi-Oh! Stairway to the Destined Duel Worldwide Edition. I'm having a lot of fun with both of them, but sometimes my eye catches something else that looks a bit more tantalizing. Personally I try not to start too many games at once so that I don't forget story bits or objectives that I set myself to focus on. Next I plan to tackle Persona 4 Golden for a platinum trophy and maybe Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Troubador for DS.

I manage my backlog with a spreadsheet that I've made in Google Sheets for tracking number of games on each system as well as time spent on each game and a numerical rating of 1-5 with how much I enjoyed it. I've found this to be the best way of managing things.

Edit: Since the first comment mentioned it, figured it would be good to bring to attention. If you would like a website that has a sort of social aspect to tracking your backlog, https://backloggery.com is a good option! Free and customization options for your backlog page to decorate it however you like.

OP
OP
BigHatPaul

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
I need to work on mine and keep my Backloggery up to date. I keep meaning to update it.

Seriously, if you haven't used it: Here's mine. I haven't updated it since January, lol.

Balancing my MMO commitments and console gaming is almost overwhelming. Probably doesn't help that I keep buying new games as they release. Oops.
I used to use Backloggery religiously but found it to be not exactly what I was looking for. I just wanted more options of tracking specific things and less of other things. It's a great website though and I love the work that Drumble and Try4ce have put into it and done since.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I used to use Backloggery religiously but found it to be not exactly what I was looking for. I just wanted more options of tracking specific things and less of other things. It's a great website though and I love the work that Drumble and Try4ce have put into it and done since.

Nah, I get it. I could make an Excel sheet but I already maintain some for my WoW guild and ALL DAMN DAY at work so the idea of making more in my spare time crushes my soul.

I know this is weird but sometimes I.... almost forget? that I own certain games or that I'm playing them or whatever. It's hard to explain but this helps me keep an eye on things - at least when I use it.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
So right now I own between physical and digital something around 1200 games on the Playstation ecosystem that I haven't played yet, Nintendo is around 800 that I haven't played yet and Xbox is around 200. Sega is around 100. No handhelds, consoles only. PC is 0 as it's just for Blizzard games and FF 14.

I have never seen this backlog website, I am about to start putting shit there, that looks kind of cool.

OP
OP
BigHatPaul

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
Nah, I get it. I could make an Excel sheet but I already maintain some for my WoW guild and ALL DAMN DAY at work so the idea of making more in my spare time crushes my soul.

I know this is weird but sometimes I.... almost forget? that I own certain games or that I'm playing them or whatever. It's hard to explain but this helps me keep an eye on things - at least when I use it.
Spreadsheets are a serious dark hole, man. Once you get started you start making them for everything. I, too, forget that I own games sometimes. Latest example I can think of is when I bought Salt and Sanctuary on Switch and had an absolute blast. Loved it. Check my Steam library and I owned it since last year. I had no idea. Hopefully being in my backlog spreadsheet so often helps to fix that. I'll be checking it frequently to avoid double dipping.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
this website is cool, I usually keep my backlog in a Google Keep note, but its kind of a mess. Will probably use this to keep track of it

PS4 is the platform I have most non-played games on due to codes received, PS+ and flash sales, but now with GamePass my XB1 has a bunch too. I know that will never get to a lot of my stuff because great games keep coming out every week, and thats fine I guess, its not the worst problem to have.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Using your specific sorting methods, which pulls handhelds out of their respective branding, I own(ed) nearly equal total games on PC, handhelds, and Playstation(s).
I didn't sort for Previously Owned, or whether they have been beaten. Just mass quantity since that's the poll question.

I use backloggery but I don't use all of its features. If you can't decide what to play next, there's a Fortune Cookie, which is a simple randomizer that you can use to tell you what to play. It can be restricted by platform Etc, if that's relevant when using it. I've tried using it but then I just play something else because I have a problem with authority and don't like being told what to do!

For me the only thing that works is to play what I'm interested in at the exact moment I have time to game. Also considering my collection as a library and not as a chore helps it not to feel like work.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
PC is my main platform so that is where the majority of the games are, both finished and unfinished.

I recently decided to divide my backlog into two categories since it was getting a bit overwhelming and I had some troubles with the paradox of choice. I went through every game and thought "do I want to play this more, about the same or less than [other game of the same style]?" This made it so that I now have a smaller prioritized backlog of the games I really want to play above the rest. It still consists of more than 200 games if I add the Game Pass and Origin Access games I want to play to my total so it's not small, but at least smaller than before. The rest I simply hid away on Steam, moved to the back row on the shelf and so on. I might play them after I have played the prioritizes games or I may never get to them. Time will tell. It feels really good now after I did this.

The above has also helped me a lot when it comes to buying new games. "Do I really want another roguelite when I have not played this other one yet?" and so on. Sometimes the answer is yes, the game maybe looks more fun and interesting than the ones I have and then it's all good! But just asking myself that question has stopped me from buying a whole bunch of games this year.

I use Backloggery and I happily add any other users to my multitap, so feel free to add me too. I can't wait for the remake of the site, it looks so good from the update videos.

Something else I do that is fun is the "Backlog Blitz" here on Era. It's a little challenge we're doing where the goal is to get the highest score you can by beating more games than you buy. It's not a competition (except maybe against yourself if you want), just a place to talk about how the fight against the backlog is going and making a little game out of it.
Less backlog focused but still something that helps me focus on fewer games at a time so that I can beat them before I move on is the "52 Games. 1 Year." Challenge.

I just play what feels right at the moment, my only goal is to have a good time.

Nov 6, 2017
I keep it simple. I just play the games, have fun and and complete them one by one (Except in some very rare cases when there is some sort of very big turn-off.)

No need for Excel or other forms of organization to making "playing games" a science project. Physical and digital games are just separated by "played", "unplayed" & "just for the archive".

With sales left and right I gather more when I think price and content is a good deal, but it's a fixed amount every month I can spend on games without any financial problems in RL.

Most Games are on PC (Floppy, CD / DVD & GoG) with about 3000, followed by the Xbox ecosystem (OG Xbox, 360 & One) with ~1700. After that it's a hard drop to ~200 for Sony (PS 1 - 4, PSP) and ~300 for Nintendo (GC, Wii, Wii U, Switch, DS Light).

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I generally don't accidentally double dip (Though it happened with Fable 3 when they announced BC on Xbox One because I forgot it was free with Gold at one point) so I'm good there. I just start too many games and never finish enough.

Anyone on Backloggery should feel free to follow me and help keep me in line. We should be a support group for each other.

OP
OP
BigHatPaul

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
I keep it simple. I just play the games, have fun and and complete them one by one (Except in some very rare cases when there is some sort of very big turn-off.)

No need for Excel or other forms of organization to making "playing games" a science project.
My biggest thing for using spreadsheets is I love seeing the stats it can provide. It's cool to see an individual breakdown of each system and time spent on them. Spyware the redesign does look great and it's something I've been looking forward to for a while. It actually reminds me of what my primary goal with the spreadsheet was, so maybe once it goes live I'll work on adding stuff back into my backloggery account.

Nov 6, 2017
For stats it's great. But at least I prefer spending my time with games and not curation lists / websites to decide what to play (next). If it works for you, do it.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
It's simple for me, I just manually sorted all the games that I have on Steam by release date year and playing them whenever I feel I want to play titles from a specific year.
4QFId4T.png

I had some games bought outside Steam, but I simply ignore them these days because I have more than enough games on Steam to bother with keeping the track on stuff I have on other platforms. Participating in 52 games per year challenge helps in dealing with the backlog too.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I find it really relaxing to organize lists and categorize stuff and that's why I use Backloggery. I have re-organized my Steam library lots of times for the same reason too, but sadly I think I have found the ultimate categorizing for me so no more of that for now.
Lists are one of the best things about having a backlog! :D

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm considering drawing up a schedule specifically to set aside time for backlogged games rather than something like Smash or Mario Maker that I can just sink endless time into. Does anyone else do something like this?

OP
OP
BigHatPaul

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
I'm considering drawing up a schedule specifically to set aside time for backlogged games rather than something like Smash or Mario Maker that I can just sink endless time into. Does anyone else do something like this?
Sort of? I don't set a specific schedule, but if I'm taking a break from a game that has an ending I'll dive into one of those "Endless" titles just to burn some time and have some fun while not thinking about the last boss fight that wrecked me or having to mentally prep for a grind session. Helps to not get so burned out so fast.

turbocats

Oct 26, 2017
We talk about backlog stuff a ton on our podcast that we do, but between me and my co-hosts, we track everything through our own individual Google Sheets documents. Your method of tracking sounds a lot like what we do. I also keep track of the games that I've finished and played in a given year (that part was inspired by Stephen Totilo at Kotaku). Helps a ton for recapping your own personal year but also in talking about personal GOTY stuff in December/January.

I think everyone is different, so finding a way to work through this kind of stuff really depends on what you find that works for you. I set up a priority system (A-E) and sort my backlog sheet via that. When I finish something, I usually just move on to the next game on the list.

And by move on to the next game on the list, what I really mean is play 100 hours of Pokemon hatching eggs and THEN move on to the next game on the list.

OP
OP
BigHatPaul

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
We talk about backlog stuff a ton on our podcast that we do, but between me and my co-hosts, we track everything through our own individual Google Sheets documents. Your method of tracking sounds a lot like what we do. I also keep track of the games that I've finished and played in a given year (that part was inspired by Stephen Totilo at Kotaku). Helps a ton for recapping your own personal year but also in talking about personal GOTY stuff in December/January.

I think everyone is different, so finding a way to work through this kind of stuff really depends on what you find that works for you. I set up a priority system (A-E) and sort my backlog sheet via that. When I finish something, I usually just move on to the next game on the list.

And by move on to the next game on the list, what I really mean is play 100 hours of Pokemon hatching eggs and THEN move on to the next game on the list.
For whatever reason I never thought to keep a track of my games completed for the year, but I'm definitely adding this to my spreadsheet! I've also set up a priority system of sorts but I just call it "On The Radar" when a game catches my attention and I'm eager to check it out I add it there so I don't have to scroll through a ton of games, the head honchos are front and center!

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Game backlog for Mobile !??

I shouldn't be, but I am truly disgusted. Good to see no votes there though.

Oct 25, 2017
I have like over 350 games on Steam, so that's definitely the biggest library for me. My backlog has gotten even more out of control in recent years due to Humble Monthly and other sources of super cheap games. The unfinished percentage on my backloggery is now over 75%, and it seems to keep going up, too. I mostly just view this as me having a great library of games to play when I want, though. I don't feel stressed over it, and I only buy games anywhere close to full price if I'm playing them right away.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
It's simple for me, I just manually sorted all the games that I have on Steam by release date year and playing them whenever I feel I want to play titles from a specific year.
4QFId4T.png

I had some games bought outside Steam, but I simply ignore them these days because I have more than enough games on Steam to bother with keeping the track on stuff I have on other platforms. Participating in 52 games per year challenge helps in dealing with the backlog too.

What?! You bought over 2,000 games in 2016 and 2017? What?!

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I realised recently that I haven't technically completed a single player game in almost a year :|

Multiplayer stuff has just been keeping me engrossed, but still... a year.

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
I just built a PC last year and have already amassed a ridiculous amount of games, many more than I ever had on console. PC games are always going on sale and it seems like there is always a deal somewhere to find. I think I already have around 120 titles, all kinds of things, all different sizes.

I try not to get hung up on finishing a game before moving on to the next but I did decide to use a Google sheet to track what I have been playing. It has six columns: Playing, Multiplayer, Incomplete, Must Play, Backlog, & Bite-size. The backlog category is basically for lower priority titles that I know I have and will play in the future at some point. Must Play is for games I am going to have to make time for before I start. But not every game I own is on the list. I just use to it orient myself. Lots of games end up on the Incomplete list but they only stay there if I want to finish them someday, otherwise I clean them up occasionally. It's all pretty fluid and moving.

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
PS is the only platform I game on and even though I've become very very selective regarding the games I buy, backlog is still increasing(~35 currently) because of the very little time I get for gaming. I try to mix and match the kind of games I'm playing to keep my interest going. For example, in this order, these are the last few games I've finished - Valiant Hearts -> Until Dawn -> Doom -> Uncharted: TLL -> Yakuza Kiwami.

Ironically, having a backlog helps in this kind of selection for the next game to play :)

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
My current backlog:

PlayStation 4:
Danganronpa 2
Danganronpa 3
Mass Effect Andromeda
Red Dead Redemption II
Maybe Uncharted 1-4 (I played the first game, didn't like it, but maybe I will give it another try).

Switch:
Valkyria Chronicles 4

Steam
Dawn of War 3
Total War: Empire
Prison Architect
Just Cause 3
Frostpunk
Far Cry 3
Fable anniversary
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
AC Rogue
Alpha Protocole
Rise of the Tomb Raider

GoG
Pillars of Eternity 2
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales

Epic Games Store
What Remains of Edith Finch
Oxenfree
The Witness
Dangerous Driving

Uplay
Steep (single player only)
For Honor (single player only)

Origin
TitanFall 2 (campaign only)

I recently decided to don't buy any new single player game on a plateform until I have finished my backlog on this plateform. I will see if I succeed.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I only game on Playstation so that helps a lot.I rarely buy games on release so always have a fair few games in my backlog though.
I've made some serious progress in the last year and It's looking like I might get it cleared by the time PS5 arrives.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I use backloggery but recently I've not done anything due to FF14 taking up my time. That said I'm getting ready to take a break and work on single-player games again.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I used Backloggery for years but it became to much effort. I switched to a google drive sheet.
Currently I have 130 unfinished and 950 games not played spread across all devices. The biggest backlog is on PC thanks to Steam.

I am not obsessed with my backlog though. I see it more like a library I can chose from whenever I feel like. So, no pressure ;)

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I went through every game and thought "do I want to play this more, about the same or less than [other game of the same style]?" This made it so that I now have a smaller prioritized backlog
Dude, I did the exact same thing. I also added to the question if I'm really committed to finish that particular game? Some games are nice and fun and keep you busy for a few hours but finishing them seems often to much 'work' or to put it in other words: I've see enough and most probably everything the game has to offer so I could save some time and just stop right there.

I could cut down my backlog from well over 200 games (on PC only, PS4 not even included) down to 90. And after being even more strictly to just under 80.

'Unfortunately' games like Apex or Overwatch are responsible for me taking so long to finish games. Also my favourites like The Witcher 3 I keep jumping back in prevent me from finishing games before new ones, I'm interested in, get released :((

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Steam is the one I have the most on.

The solution is easy.

Add the top 10 games to one category. Work on that, by either beating or playing the games enough.
Add the rest of the games that feels secondary to another category. And move to the previously mentioned category when spots open up.
Hide the rests of the games, that you feel no urge to play at all.

pqvqs

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Funny story, I didn't have any issues with backlogs until I bought my PS4 back in 2016. I spent most of the last decade without consoles, as a 3rd world broke teen/ya, so I mostly played games on emulators that my pc managed to handle back then (gba, snes, N64 and psx). So I finally managed to play the games that I started at rentals or friends house like OoT, FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, Castlevania SotN, SMRtlot7s, Chrono Trigger and so on. Looking back that was really confortable, I only had a list of great games and played the ones I felt like playing.

But in 2011 after graduating I finally had an income, so I started buying consoles and games. Started small with a ps2 (still had some final fantasies and kingdom hearts to play), a DS, a PSP, a Wii, a GBA and a 3DS. Since games weren't that cheap, I couldn't buy that many. So I bought something and then played it. Sure, I made some impulsive decisions, for example, I bought both Blue Dragon sequels really cheap, since I was planning on getting a 360 to play Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey and some other games. Thing is, until this day I never bought a Microsoft console, so those games are collecting dust on the shelve.

That was 2011~2012 though. In 2013 I decided to finally dive in FFXI, played around 2,500 hours in six months, then came 2014 and it was FFXIV time, more 3,000 hours. Interesting enough, I played both FF MMOs in between jobs, so I had a lot of free time. During this period I did buy some stuff on steam that I never touched, mostly through bundles when I really only wanted 2 or 3 games out of the deal. But my steam library doesn't worry me too much, since I'm not sure if I have even 50 games on it (definitely its less than 100). 2015~2016 were years when I played 100 hours games on portable like Bravely Default or Fantasy Life.

Then, by the second semester of 2016 I took possible the worst decision of my gamming life: buying a PS4. Why? Because of the fucking trophy system. I never was a guy that cared about 100%, I only wanted to see the full story through. Steam achievements? Couldn't care less. Now, that frigging platinum trophy? That had a hold on me. So, long story short (because it's already too long) I've been hostage to the trophy hunting quest, meaning that I've a ever growing backlog of games that I wanna unlock everything. PSN flash sales and PS+ games "helps" a lot too. Don't get me wrong, I love hunting trophies and since I don't care about multiplayer, I treat it as my way to get some extra of the game. But sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't be playing other games. In the case I get to burned out of a game I put it way for months (or years) before finishing the trophies (FFXV, for example, took me 2 weeks to finish, 2.5 years to plat).

Like many here, I have a spreadsheet where I keep all the games I have, divided by plataform, if it's physical/digital/sub free, the year I bought/got it, the year I finished and the year I platted it. Since I don't intend to play most of the PS+ games and that I'm way less compulsive now, due exactly having already too many games to play, I don't think my backlog is that big. The problem it's that the genre I play the most is JRPG and those are already 100 hours long without trophy hunting. Adding that I'm also a father now, time for playing has never been shorter. But in due time I hope my son will help with the trophy hunting XD

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I use Howlongtobeat to track mine, but I only put games in the backlog category that I have any serious intention of playing. I also have a custom list of "maybe games" for down the road if I ever clear my backlog.

I think I generally float between 15-20 games in the backlog and play 2-3 actively. Every time I start making progress to clear it, I end up buying more which is not ideal. Basically, collecting addiction + FOMO which sucks. I don't collect anything else, I don't get it. I hate spending money on things and not finishing them or not liking them as I grew up poor and waste wasn't a thing I could afford.

I'm starting to realize my time is the most valuable thing I have though, so I've gotten better about using the "retired" function on the website. Games like Battle Chasers and Moonlighter have went there recently.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
It's Steam, of course - I went a bit nuts in the early days when there were a lot of really big bundles of quality titles.

Mind you, it'd be PC in the broader sense even without Steam, given I've been accumulating content on it since the early nineties. Of the available options only Nintendo was a thing back then

OP
OP
BigHatPaul

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
Since some people are sharing screenshots I figured I would share a look at my backlog and how I have it laid out.
Ty3oqE9.png
lwB9Y13.png

Just looking at this I can tell there's stuff I still need to update, it's almost always a WIP, but that's my main way of handling it. As you'll see, there is one status for retiring/dropping games that don't hold my attention or things I will never get around to so that they don't count in the overall total of Unplayed to Beaten/Complete/Mastered. You can certainly see the Backloggery inspiration.

pqvqs I went through my own achievement hunting phase (by phase I mean years) and recently have gotten to the point where I don't care anymore about completion in that regard. It's nice and all, but my main focus as of now is at least beating the games. Completion maybe if I really like it enough, but otherwise, I have to move on. Too much stuff to catch up on.

honorless

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty sure it's PC. The rest of my library is still playing catch up after those heady days of mass acquisition, back in 2013. (Ah, memories.)

I dunno, it's the same way you eat an elephant. One bite at a time...coupled with adequate preservation efforts, researching and attempting new methods of preparation, and maybe some help from like-minded compatriots. No human, after all, is an island.

At least it's a fun problem to have. I got a lot of others that ain't.

Something else I do that is fun is the "Backlog Blitz" here on Era. It's a little challenge we're doing where the goal is to get the highest score you can by beating more games than you buy. It's not a competition [...]

LMFAO good thing it isn't, my ass would be holding on to that L like it's a life preserver. #StayLosing

OP
OP
BigHatPaul

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
Haha, yeah. Your minus score is almost double my plus one! <3
I'd also be on that sinking ship. Hell, Humble Monthly alone puts me at at least -9 each month on top of flash sales and impulse buys. I also don't track when I purchase a game, either, so it'd be hard for me to think back to what I've obtained just this year (it's a lot).

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Most of my backlog is on Steam. I use a simple app called Gaming Backlog to keep track of everything. My backlog isn't huge compared to some, so it suits my needs.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Just made an account on backloggery and wanted to start inserting my games, do I have to write out the names of every single game? Because there doesn't seem to be an autofill thing happening, no database available or am I just doing it wrong?

Should I make a howlongtobeat account or is it the same procedure there too?

Don't need any fancy stuff, just want to make a catalogue of all my games and tick off the ones I finished.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, we're sharing Backloggeries, sweet. https://www.backloggery.com/cross_section

I never bother to switch on the "Now Playing" tag, I just add games and mark stuff as "beat" when I finish them.

Just made an account on backloggery and wanted to start inserting my games, do I have to write out the names of every single game? Because there doesn't seem to be an autofill thing happening, no database available or am I just doing it wrong?

Don't need any fancy stuff, just want to make a catalogue of all my games and tick off the ones I finished.

Yep, you gotta do it all manually. The dude behind the site has been working on a new version for a while now that might include that feature, though.

Never made a howlongtobeat account.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
My focus is PS4 but there are a few handheld games in my "next up" list. For PS4, I have gotten pretty selective and more budget-conscious in my choices as my time available to play has dipped. I don't have nearly as much time to play as I would need to catch up, but I feel like I usually get to play often enough, for now at least.

I shuffle through a few games at a time, mixing in genres I like and try to just going with the flow. In order of recent priority I'm (still) playing RDR2, Rocket League, Cities: Skylines, and a little NBA 2K19.

Oct 28, 2017

Backloggery is all manual input.

Howlongtobeat is probably more suitable if you just want something quick and easy, search for the game, click on the page, select the console and add it a list (completed/backlog/etc)