• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
www.cnet.com

Bachelor host Chris Harrison will step aside 'for a period of time' following racism controversy

Rachel Lindsay, the franchise's first black lead, reacts to Harrison's hiatus following his controversial comments about a contestant's plantation party photos.

Harrison, host of The Bachelor since 2002, said that while he's not defending the party people would not have examined an Old South party "under the same lens" in 2018 as they would in 2021, given the heightened consciousness of racial inequality amid the Black Lives Matter movement. Lindsay, an outspoken advocate for diversity in the franchise, disagreed.

I don't watch the shows but being reality tv adjacent i been hearing a lot about this. Folks are not happy and it might explains why the show has so many diversity issues

Anyone using "woke" unironically is always a red flag.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
lol yeah 3 years ago we had no idea about inequaliity breh /s

what an embarrassing weekend to be human

Composer

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
User Banned (2 months): dismissing concerns around racism
Is this an actual issue or is this just 5 people on Twitter?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Harrison, host of The Bachelor since 2002, said that while he's not defending the party people would not have examined an Old South party "under the same lens" in 2018 as they would in 2021

4xx6d3.gif

People really do save all their shit racism takes for February

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I fucking hate that shit. "I am not defending it, but I am" or it's twin "I am not defending it, but I am writing an essay twisting to defend it.
Full stop phrases:

"I'm not racist, but..."

"I'm just saying..."

"I'm not defending them, but..."

"Martin Luther King said that..."

Some variation of "If we hold someone accountable for their opinions, we're just like the nazis"

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Harrison, host of The Bachelor since 2002, said that while he's not defending the party people would not have examined an Old South party "under the same lens" in 2018 as they would in 2021, given the heightened consciousness of racial inequality amid the Black Lives Matter movement.

A quick search and I find this from 2018

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Full stop phrases:

"I'm not racist, but..."

"I'm just saying..."

"I'm not defending them, but..."

"Martin Luther King said that..."

Some variation of "If we hold someone accountable for their opinions, we're just like the nazis"
"not who i am" or "not whats in my heart" despite you saying the bullshit unprompted and off the cuff

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Is this an actual issue or is this just 5 people on Twitter?
I can't believe I know this but my girlfriend likes the show so I have to but he's defending one of the girls which is possibly the one the guy ends up with and who is being criticized by numerous people who know her and her family as being racist. For example some people who knew her in high school said she used to bully girls who dated black guys and it just so happens the bachelor this season is black. Now he's here trying to defend her past actions. It's really not a good look for the show and I'm surprised they didn't vet her more before the show.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a confusing issue so I went and read about it.

The girl seems like a piece of shit. An antebellum party? Defending Confederate flags? Yeah fuck off. When I was growing up in SC in the 90s I knew that shit was awful, hateful when vile. The issue regarding taking it down from the courthouse was all over the news and in the public consciousness. It has nothing to do with 2018.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
"You can't view the mistakes of the past through the lens of today."

This is the lie bigots tell you all the time, that people simply "didn't know." There isn't a single moment in history where good people were not fighting against injustice. So people knew; they just didn't give a shit.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Doesn't help that the actual bachelor this season seems like the type of black dude that would cape for her.

I'll leave it at that.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017

This is the lie bigots tell you all the time, that people simply "didn't know." There isn't a single moment in history where good people were not fighting against injustice. So people knew; they just didn't give a shit.
Same folks have MLK loaded in their twitter for MLK day, despite them probably hating him if he was alive today

·feist·

Oct 26, 2017
How were they supposed to know any better? The world was a completely different place in 1918.

What was that.. you're saying this happened in 2018?

Well, if MLK was alive today, I think/believe/feel that he would...

Feb 4, 2018
The idea that any racism before 2020 should get a free pass because most white people were ignorant of it before then is ridiculous, and once again shows how conversations about race still often revolve around whiteness. Ignorance shouldn't shield you from accountability.

They've had issues with racist contestants since at least Rachel Lindsay's season but continue to not vet contestants to prevent racists from coming onto the show. Hell, on Rachel's season they made Lee's racism into a multi-ep ~storyline~ which was super gross. Not to mention the whole thing with Garrett Y.

Diverse casting isn't enough, TPTB needs a leadership change. I would have loved to see Rachel Lindsay be given a high-up position in the franchise but it's too late for that - she's done with the franchise and rightfully so.

Just disappointed we went from Tayshia's incredible season to this trash heap.

Oct 27, 2017
Talking like no one thought plantation wedding were fucked in 2018.
ummmmmmmmmmmmm probably depends who you ask buddy.

Never watched the bachelor, but what is that dude talking about. Pathetic downplay attempt. It's not easier to say 5 than 3. 3 is a pretty easy to handle number for most people. I wonder why he said 5?

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017

My wife watches this show so I'm hearing about it on the side and I shit you not, I just heard this argument from someone she's talking about it and I wanted to vomit. Better yet, they're against crucifying someone for something they did I college. This shit was 2 years ago not college in the 70s.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This came across my feed as my roommates and I have been watching. I couldn't help but being both mad and laughing when I read about the Old South party only because I know exactly the party they're referring to and the college organization that puts them on.

May 28, 2020
Chris Harrison has always been a really slimy scummy dude. He's mastered the art (or thinks he has) of deflecting in all scenarios. This is no surprise to me.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
This is not even worth discussing. That was like 2 years ago and Mr. "I'm not defending it" acts as if we are talking about the 19th century.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Suddenly the SNL joke about the minority women always being the first off the show hits the mark a bit more than before (though I assumed it was accurate).

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
wasn't there a twitter thread from 2018 or 2019 where guides at plantations would share the dumb racist shit people said?

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Chris Harrison has always been a really slimy scummy dude. He's mastered the art (or thinks he has) of deflecting in all scenarios. This is no surprise to me.
Seriously this.

Seeing the way he exploits drama on the show and feigns concern while his producers throw fuel and on the fire and set up some terrible situations, including situations that clearly have introduced alcohol in order the get people confrontational or worse, it really isn't surprising listening to this scummy dude attempt to talk around the actual subject at hand while also trying to shame people who are upset.

I just did a quick google search about the controversy and I can find all the info but Chris Harrison, who probably gets dirt on people so their producers can bring on exes for the drama, is trying to pretend like he doesn't even know all the allegations. Then he's trying to make it like people are only upset that she's registered Republican and how dare they go down this "slippery slope".

2018 was so long ago to Chris Harrison. Imagine having the nerve to say that to Rachel, who was the first black Bachelorette in 2017! He's basically saying that he'd be defending this shit even harder back then if something like this came out during her season. And this is the first time they've had a black Bachelor in the show's 19 years on air. The show has always been lagging behind on just representation and it's not surprising at all that this dude would be showing his ass on this subject crying about the "woke police" when he always came across as too phony when trying to have episodes where they talk about serious subjects.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Maybe they thought this shit would fly if Trump got re-elected.

And the problem doesn't end with Chris. A lot of people had to sign off on plantation wedding girl. Makes me wonder if there is even a single minority with any decision making power on that show.

Oct 27, 2017
Harrison has always come off as a sleazy rat scumbag muhfucka.

Isn't there like the first ever black bachelor this season too? Dude just couldn't wait to whitesplain away racism and racist actions.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
I'm shocked that the host of the bachelor is of questionable morals. A show that brings together dozens of strangers to hook up on television in order to get married.

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Hahahaha imagine being so fucking sheltered and racist that you think the "Old South" hasn't had connotations with racism since forever.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I think KA's nationals banned its chapters from having the Old South formals in 2016 - so on some level, even if they renamed it and kept the theme, there should be some level of acknowledgment that it might be problematic to host it.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked that the host of the bachelor is of questionable morals. A show that brings together dozens of strangers to hook up on television in order to get married.

What a profoundly weird, Puritan post. What does your idea of "questionable morals" (LOL) have to do with racism??? Plenty of people speaking out and condemning this are both BIPOC and also current or former contestants.

May 28, 2020
Seriously this.

Seeing the way he exploits drama on the show and feigns concern while his producers throw fuel and on the fire and set up some terrible situations, including situations that clearly have introduced alcohol in order the get people confrontational or worse, it really isn't surprising listening to this scummy dude attempt to talk around the actual subject at hand while also trying to shame people who are upset.

I just did a quick google search about the controversy and I can find all the info but Chris Harrison, who probably gets dirt on people so their producers can bring on exes for the drama, is trying to pretend like he doesn't even know all the allegations. Then he's trying to make it like people are only upset that she's registered Republican and how dare they go down this "slippery slope".

2018 was so long ago to Chris Harrison. Imagine having the nerve to say that to Rachel, who was the first black Bachelorette in 2017! He's basically saying that he'd be defending this shit even harder back then if something like this came out during her season. And this is the first time they've had a black Bachelor in the show's 19 years on air. The show has always been lagging behind on just representation and it's not surprising at all that this dude would be showing his ass on this subject crying about the "woke police" when he always came across as too phony when trying to have episodes where they talk about serious subjects.
you're absolutely right. I always remember when they had the "After the Final Rose" one season and they brought back a contestant that got booted for having an affair with one of the producers during her time on the show. He brought her on to exploit her and shame her to their audience. She decided to bring up cheating allegations with him and his wife and how quickly he got that shit turned into a commercial break so they could move on to the next topic. Dude is as slimy as it gets and all the producers that run the show as well. Oh and that segment on Bachelor in Paradise with Corinne and that black contestant that caused an uproar too was so cringe worthy

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
what an incredibly self-centered take

"2020 was when I personally decided I couldn't rationalize/pull off an antebellum party"

okay? I didn't realize we had to calibrate our moral judgment around dumbass Chris Harrison's development as a person

Jan 18, 2018

"Yo sorry, one minute ago i didn't know, you can't view a 9 O'clock person through a 8 O'clock lens, it was a different time".