• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why Game Mania's reader choice is not added. It was added in previous years and has over 13000 votes, which is much more than most of reader's choice votes.
Maybe he just hasn't added it yet or maybe there is another reason. I posted a ton of awards that weren't added. Quit worrying about it.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I told y'alls this thread should have been locked for some of y'alls own good. Unhealthy obsession.

Especially when the real GOTY is Dragon Ball FighterZ. Know this to be true.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Are you serious with this stuff? There were quite a few people who told him to calm down with his constant reposts of links and freaking out about an award not being added for God of War. Also skew things in our favor? I'm sorry to tell you but it doesn't matter what me, you, or anyone else posts in this thread b/c whoever runs that site is going to find all of these awards that any game wins and posts them anyway like they have for 15+ years. There is nothing anyone here can do to get a game they prefer to be the overall winner on that site.

It's hilarious that you cherry pick an entire, lenghtly post just because you were kinda roasted on the tail end of it when I linked what I did to that guy quoting you, despite you having posted 3 or 4 times in this topic after my post. It's very transparant why you chose to do so. Did you just see my post now and freak out, or something? Because you just edited your post like 6 times as if you don't realize it's easy for us to see that.

It's equally hilarious that you're going off on a tangent, feigning ignorance about intentions for that guy to add random sites to his blog, when you literally made this post which is very recent (not to mention an equally transparant post history as the banned guy with the alts):

You literally start the post off with "posting this to be added" followed by 8 obscure websites that gave God of War the win, finishing off with a repost of a website that was posted here like a dozen times and saying it should count because it "counted last year, too."

...I couldn't make this up if I tried. It's mind-boggling how an individual can continue to show lack of self-awareness. Feel free to passive-agressively respond and edit your post tons of times; I can still see the original post, anyway.

The best is always when these accounts say "I don't really care who wins, I'm just a fan of this game" and then their post history is them literally shilling for a game and harassing other people who like another game. It's really weird.

Lmao, agreed. As I said above, these people are something else, lol. Fanaticism is a wierd thing indeed.

Like actually wow, the time that shit must of took just to get a game some internet points.
3 accounts lmao?

Again.

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

I don't think he had 3 accounts, just 2. That third one people kept mentioning, Philly Cheesesteak or whatever, is a separate person banned for console wars outside this topic. He isn't a 3rd alt and he should be back soon.

That's just... I don't even know what that is. Thanks for taking your time to explain it.

Not a problem. Had some downtime at work and had the spare time. At least it made 20mins go by quickly.

RDR2 recently has been catching up fast. O: So there might still be a tie or even a RDR2 win.

Oh, there were games with a lot more GOTY wins, like Breath of the Wild with 189 GOTYs or The Witcher 3 with 257(!!).

No, RDR2 cannot close the deficit. God of War should still have upcoming "wins" from GameInformer, GAF and our own website, plus it shouldn't stop getting other awards all of a sudden so there is that, too. I'm not sure why some people think RDR2 has a chance. It doesn't.

That said, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter because it should still have over 100 "wins" (which is pretty insane due to the competition), and is still the highest rated game of the year by far while still being the most successful game that's not named GTAV (Minecraft doesn't count because it also gains revenue from merchandise and programs). You'll see a GOTY edition of RDR2 that will probably launch cross gen and include DLC additions.

People are crazy, holy shit this thread fucking lol

Y'all need to chill, you ain't getting shit if GoW or RDR2 win or don't.

I'd agree, except some of these people do get something, at least mentally (as evidenced by the bannings and alt-account shilling happening, lmao).

I told y'alls this thread should have been locked for some of y'alls own good. Unhealthy obsession.

Especially when the real GOTY is Dragon Ball FighterZ. Know this to be true.

Nah, that's Celeste. I'll allow DBZF to be runner-up, though.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's hilarious that you cherry pick an entire, lenghtly post just because you were kinda roasted on the tail end of it when I linked what I did to that guy quoting you, despite you having posted 3 or 4 times in this topic after my post. It's very transparant why you chose to do so. Did you just see my post now and freak out, or something? Because you just edited your post like 6 times as if you don't realize it's easy for us to see that.

It's equally hilarious that you're going off on a tangent, feigning ignorance about intentions for that guy to add random sites to his blog, when you literally made this post which is very recent (not to mention an equally transparant post history as the banned guy with the alts):

You literally start the post off with "posting this to be added" followed by 8 obscure websites that gave God of War the win, finishing off with a repost of a website that was posted here like a dozen times and saying it should count because it "counted last year, too."

...I couldn't make this up if I tried. It's mind-boggling how an individual can continue to show lack of self-awareness. Feel free to passive-agressively respond and edit your post tons of times; I can still see the original post, anyway.

Lmao, agreed. As I said above, these people are something else, lol. Fanaticism is a wierd thing indeed.

I don't think he had 3 accounts, just 2. That third one people kept mentioning, Philly Cheesesteak or whatever, is a separate person banned for console wars outside this topic. He isn't a 3rd alt and he should be back soon.

Not a problem. Had some downtime at work and had the spare time. At least it made 20mins go by quickly.

No, RDR2 cannot close the deficit. God of War should still have upcoming "wins" from GameInformer, GAF and our own website, plus it shouldn't stop getting other awards all of a sudden so there is that, too. I'm not sure why some people think RDR2 has a chance. It doesn't.

That said, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter because it should still have over 100 "wins" (which is pretty insane due to the competition), and is still the highest rated game of the year by far while still being the most successful game that's not named GTAV (Minecraft doesn't count because it also gains revenue from merchandise and programs). You'll see a GOTY edition of RDR2 that will probably launch cross gen and include DLC additions.

I'd agree, except some of these people do get something, at least mentally (as evidenced by the bannings and alt-account shilling happening, lmao).

Nah, that's Celeste. I'll allow DBZF to be runner-up, though.
Cherry pick? No not at all. I merely corrected you on things you said about some of us in here and you clearly have an issue with that. Things were said to the banned guy about his constant whining about an award not being added and that is why it was said to Ezio as well.

Also yes I posted a handful of awards to be added if the person who looks here chose. Did I come back complaining when they weren't? No I didn't. I did exactly what the purpose of this thread is: to post awards that we see a game win. If they choose to not add them then that's their choice. And let's not talk about obscure websites as there are a ton of them on that blog. Your aggressiveness towards me and others in here needs to stop. Some of us are just doing what we should be in here.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
User Banned (3 Days): Antagonizing other members over a series of posts, driving thread derailment; history of system warring
Cherry pick? No not at all. I merely corrected you on things you said about some of us in here and you clearly have an issue with that. Things were said to the banned guy about his constant whining about an award not being added and that is why it was said to Ezio as well.

Also yes I posted a handful of awards to be added if the person who looks here chose. Did I come back complaining when they weren't? No I didn't. I did exactly what the purpose of this thread is: to post awards that we see a game win. If they choose to not add them then that's their choice. And let's not talk about obscure websites as there are a ton of them on that blog. Your aggressiveness towards me and others in here needs to stop. Some of us are just doing what we should be in here.

Crazy how some people refuse to take the L and just move on despite overwhelming evidence against their feigning. But since you insist:

• You need to stop lying and trying to bait into discussions about said lying. But I'll oblige: No, none of ya'll questioned or called out Borowskis rabid spamming. I only see one dude who isnt even posting links in this topic tell him he needs to chill out, and he even posted the same things again before deleting his post and again, nobody said anything. Yet, you were quick to jump on Ezio for posting his RDR2 links and attack him for his tenure here on Era. When people called some of ya'll out for your hypocrisy, you even made an excuse, saying the people here doing the same have been here for a while but Ezio was a newer account (funny how that guy also talks about the lack of self-awareness). You haven't corrected me about anything and are trying to cherry-pick the conversation in your favor, which thankfully you're not good at.

• You're moving goalposts, and badly at that, about your intentions with posting links to preferred GOTY wins. You literally say during said posts, verbatim, that these are being posted to be added to the blog, or that they should be added because they were added last year, or that they should be added because [insert reason here]. Stop acting like you're just posting awards when you are also reposting links you posted a week ago. Why would you repost week-old links if this was just you posting awards you "see win?" Also, double lol at the fact you get on people for reposting links you don't like, yet you do the same.

• Stop trying to send the bat signal to these "others" you keep talking about. Yeah, I stated the obvious and I wasn't the first to do so, but I explicitly mentioned you and that guy that was permanately banned. You're the last person to talk about aggressiveness when you were recently banned for calling people morons.

Again, if you're gonna accuse someone of things and quote a post from much earlier, don't try to feign ignorance and pretend. We're not stupid.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crazy how some people refuse to take the L and just move on despite overwhelming evidence against their feigning. But since you insist:

• You need to stop lying and trying to bait into discussions about said lying. But I'll oblige: No, none of ya'll questioned or called out Borowskis rabid spamming. I only see one dude who isnt even posting links in this topic tell him he needs to chill out, and he even posted the same things again before deleting his post and again, nobody said anything. Yet, you were quick to jump on Ezio for posting his RDR2 links and attack him for his tenure here on Era. When people called some of ya'll out for your hypocrisy, you even made an excuse, saying the people here doing the same have been here for a while but Ezio was a newer account (funny how that guy also talks about the lack of self-awareness). You haven't corrected me about anything and are trying to cherry-pick the conversation in your favor, which thankfully you're not good at.

• You're moving goalposts, and badly at that, about your intentions with posting links to preferred GOTY wins. You literally say during said posts, verbatim, that these are being posted to be added to the blog, or that they should be added because they were added last year, or that they should be added because [insert reason here]. Stop acting like you're just posting awards when you are also reposting links you posted a week ago. Why would you repost week-old links if this was just you posting awards you "see win?" Also, double lol at the fact you get on people for reposting links you don't like, yet you do the same.

• Stop trying to send the bat signal to these "others" you keep talking about. Yeah, I stated the obvious and I wasn't the first to do so, but I explicitly mentioned you and that guy that was permanately banned. You're the last person to talk about aggressiveness when you were recently banned for calling people morons.

Again, if you're gonna accuse someone of things and quote a post from much earlier, don't try to feign ignorance and pretend. We're not stupid.
Look if you don't have something to contribute to this thread then maybe you shouldn't be posting here. You spend more time in here trying to "burn" others than you do contributing to the actual thread discussion. You clearly have something against myself and others in here. Ezio was also told by a mod to stop posting the same link yet you come in here defending him and making it out like only myself and others told him that.

Yes one or two of those links I posted I mentioned they were on there last year. The same thing quite a lot of other people here do when they find one that was on there before but hey keep making it out like I'm the only one since you clearly don't like me. Again if they add them or not that's their choice. I certainly don't make 3+ posts in the course of one page going on and on about why an award wasn't added to that page like some other people here.

I'm going to go back to actually talking about the discussion of this thread now as I've had enough of your attacks on myself, other people in here and your derailment.

Last edited:

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Look if you don't have something to contribute to this thread then maybe you shouldn't be posting here. You spend more time in here trying to "burn" others than you do contributing to the actual thread discussion. You clearly have something against myself and others in here. Ezio was also told by a mod to stop posting the same link yet you come in here defending him and making it out like only myself and others told him that. I'm going to go back to actually talking about the discussion of this thread now as I've had enough of your attacks on myself, other people in here and your derailment.

As with all your posts, that is not true. The mod corrected himself. There goes that entire majority of your post.

Don't think that we are not allowed to call you out on your plethora of bullshit or else we are "derailing." I have done nothing against the ToS and you are just obviously upset you were called out, and have no more rebuttals or lies to throw out. It was obvious from the get-go you're trying to bait me into being banned or something. Please show me where I "attacked you and other people." You can't, because that's a lie. You're not a mod and you need to take your own advice.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As with all your posts, that is not true. The mod corrected himself. There goes that entire majority of your post.

Don't think that we are not allowed to call you out on your plethora of bullshit or else we are "derailing." I have done nothing against the ToS and you are just obviously upset you were called out, and have no more rebuttals or lies to throw out. It was obvious from the get-go you're trying to bait me into being banned or something. Please show me where I "attacked you and other people." You can't, because that's a lie. You're not a mod and you need to take your own advice.
So he did, apologies that I didn't go back several pages to look at that. I'm not trying to "bait" you into anything but I'm also not the one bullshitting in here. I've been in here doing what I'm supposed to be doing in this thread until you wanted to come in here and accuse myself and others for no reason just because we had an issue with a guy posting the same link 3 times in one page. For some reason It's OK if you say whatever you want about people in here but don't they dare say anything back to you.

Last edited:

Kattlauv

Oct 28, 2017
Manila
It was worse. Botw was mentioned in every fucking thread. At least now it's mostly here. And that's entertaining at least.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
BOTW continues to be GOTG for the simple reason we avoided all this petty shit
I really want to say "So true!" to this post, but the Horizon Zero Dawn vs Zelda Breath of the Wild talk was unfortunately very toxic :s And remember this "amazingly unbiased" video that was posted all the time? ;)

At least this time I haven't had to roll my eyes many times because I see someone with a certain post history list RDR2 as #1 and GoW at #10 at their own GOTY votings, or vice-verse. The last time I checked most people actually had both games listed and not overly far away from each other, just as they should be. The toxicity here has mostly been coming from people with very different taste in games since GoW and RDR2 have barely anything at all in common.

But anyway, lets get back on topic. Personally I'm hoping RDR2 will reach 100 GOTY awards at least, then I'm satisfied. It's so close now.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Uff, this thread is not a good look for Era. Can a mod shut it down, please.

So we can't have any thread because it can get derailed? That will give more power to people to try derail threads they don't like to close them.

I like seeing outlets posting their gotys specially smaller ones. I will be sad if this thread got locked and I won't be able to follow up on them.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
So we can't have any thread because it can get derailed? That will give more power to people to try derail threads they don't like to close them.

I like seeing outlets posting their gotys specially smaller ones. I will be sad if this thread got locked and I won't be able to follow up on them.

Yeah, that's true. But after people got banned and mods stepped in... it's still extremely annoying and in some cases even embarrassing. Perhapes I'm just to tiered and that's why it's getting on my nerves.

benny

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (2 days): Thread derail and ignoring modpost.
I think if the accusation is allowed to stand then a response is allowed to stand:
No, none of ya'll questioned or called out Borowskis rabid spamming. I only see one dude who isnt even posting links in this topic tell him he needs to chill out, and he even posted the same things again before deleting his post and again, nobody said anything.
That's not what happened. That you believe that is what happened seems like you're not the unbiased observer of reality as you claim to be.

[...] You literally say during said posts, verbatim, that these are being posted to be added to the blog, or that they should be added because they were added last year, [...]
What's wrong with that argument? Consistency YoY is the only thing that makes such a stupid aggregation even remotely worthwhile.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
User Warned: derailing thread, ignoring modpost
Seems like you're quoting an ignored member, wonder who could that be hmm..

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
If God of War does win outright (by the stats OP is using) then it's quite a feat considering substantially more people played Red Dead Redemption 2 (or at least sales tells us that much).

EDIT: Readers vote would swing it

WillySJ3

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If God of War does win outright (by the stats OP is using) then it's quite a feat considering substantially more people played Red Dead Redemption 2 (or at least sales tells us that much).
A GOTY is not given to the most played game, or else Fortnite would be the default winner for consoles this year.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

EDIT: Readers vote would swing it
the thing is, so far god of war has close to double the amount of reader votes Red dead got. so it seems like even though it sold more, the players liked god of war more.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know when Metacritic reader's choice will be announced?
Votes closed a couple days ago so it shouldn't be much longer.
Anybody know how they're counting the votes to go around a market share advantage? BOTW won last year but I don't know how, shouldn't a PS4 game by default get more user votes just from having an enormous market share?
Same thing this year. GoW is only on PS4 but RDR2 is on both PS4 and XB1 and it's not unlikely that lots of XB1 gamers think that RDR2 is the best game on the console. Edit: On the other hand, for PS4 gamers GoW might be the choice instead.
Bah, I don't know, am I over-thinking things? :s

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody know how they're counting the votes to go around a market share advantage? BOTW won last year but I don't know how, shouldn't a PS4 game by default get more user votes just from having an enormous market share?
Same thing this year. GoW is only on PS4 but RDR2 is on both PS4 and XB1 and it's not unlikely that lots of XB1 gamers think that RDR2 is the best game on the console. Edit: On the other hand, for PS4 gamers GoW might be the choice instead.
Bah, I don't know, am I over-thinking things? :s

RDR2 and GOW will split votes among PS4 users,RDR2 don't have a fierce competitor like GOW on Xbox,I have no doubt if GOW was multi,RDR2 would have lost some of these reader's it won.
About Metacritic,they opened a content,and you can name 5 games,ordered by your preference,the first place wins 5 ponts,second place 4 points...5th 1 point.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
RDR2 and GOW will split votes among PS4 users,RDR2 don't have a fierce competitor like GOW on Xbox,I have no doubt if GOW was multi,RDR2 would have lost some of these reader's it won.
About Metacritic,they opened a content,and you can name 5 games,ordered by your preference,the first place wins 5 ponts,second place 4 points...5th 1 point.
Meh so it's pretty much the percentage of multi-console users that votes that will determin who wins...
A rough example with no multi console users and just by using plain statistics:
If PS4 has twice the users of XB1, and 50% of those likes RDR2 the most and the rest GoW while 100% of XB1 users likes RDR2 the most, then RDR2 would get twice the 5 point votes simply by existing on both platforms.
Am I wrong?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Meh so it's pretty much the percentage of multi-console users that votes that will determin who wins...
If PS4 has twice the users of XB1, and 50% of those likes RDR2 the most and the rest GoW while 100% of XB1 users likes RDR2 the most, then RDR2 would get twice the 5 point votes simply by existing on both platforms.
Am I wrong?

I think you're trying to find answers where there aren't any. There are far more variables than this.

Many people are mulitple console owners. That's the biggest thing you're missing. I own every console and a PC. So what would I pick in your scenario? RDR because it's multiplatform? It's not in my top ten. I didn't pick God of War either. Simply because neither are my favourite game of the year. Not because I'm an Xbox owner or a PS4 owner or whatever.

Of course people have preferences. You are gonna get some PS4 only players leaning towards an exclusive harder some years and you are gonna get Switch only gamers leaning towards an exclusive some years. You're probably not getting many Xbox only gamers voting for God of War this year because, you'd imagine, they haven't played it. But really, there's no equation. It's just 'what game the most people liked most this year'.

At a push you could say that regional variances will come into it. A Xbox exclusive game might always struggle to win the most reader awards worldwide because Xbox means very little in certain regions. People are less likely to have played it. Same with a japanese game that hasn't received a wide Western release. It was fine me screaming about Monster Hunter XX in 2017 but it wasn't winning Eurogamers Readers GOTY award because it was only available in Japan in Japanese.

Beyond these edge cases your not finding any solid prediction equations. Just enjoy the lists and try to find some games that you didn't know existed.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
If PS4 has twice the users of XB1 , and 50% of those likes RDR2 the most and the rest GoW while 100% of XB1 users likes RDR2 the most, then RDR2 would get twice the 5 point votes simply by existing on both platforms.
Am I wrong?
What I am saying is if God of War was on Xbox,it would cannibalize a lot of RDR2 votes,simple as that,or you think God of War wouldn't?You know RDR2 sold a lot more than God of War even on PS4.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Am I wrong?
So like the electoral college?

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Wow I just saw that Yakuza 6 and got a GOTY Award !
Congrats to the team, it´s so good to see the turn around - in terms of popularity and recognition, because this is probably the most consistent IP since PS2 era when it comes to quality - the Yakuza series got from last gen !

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I think you're trying to find answers where there aren't any. There are far more variables than this.

Many people are mulitple console owners. That's the biggest thing you're missing. I own every console and a PC. So what would I pick in your scenario? RDR because it's multiplatform? It's not in my top ten. I didn't pick God of War either. Simply because neither are my favourite game of the year. Not because I'm an Xbox owner or a PS4 owner or whatever.

Of course people have preferences. You are gonna get some PS4 only players leaning towards an exclusive harder some years and you are gonna get Switch only gamers leaning towards an exclusive some years. You're probably not getting many Xbox only gamers voting for God of War this year because, you'd imagine, they haven't played it. But really, there's no equation. It's just 'what game the most people liked most this year'.

At a push you could say that regional variances will come into it. A Xbox exclusive game might always struggle to win the most reader awards worldwide because Xbox means very little in certain regions. People are less likely to have played it. Same with a japanese game that hasn't received a wide Western release. It was fine me screaming about Monster Hunter XX in 2017 but it wasn't winning Eurogamers Readers GOTY award because it was only available in Japan in Japanese.

Beyond these edge cases your not finding any solid prediction equations. Just enjoy the lists and try to find some games that you didn't know existed.
Doesn't seem fair. TGA removes the platform exclusive websites to counter a market share advatntage and always have multi console voters. Using plain user-votes is tricky, sure many are multi-console owners, but many are not and every 5 point vote from someone with only one platform is a situation where a game on another platform won't just receive a 4 point vote but no point at all.

Like this:
5 points RDR2
4 points Forza Horizon 4
3 points Monster Boy
2 points State of Decay 2
1 point ... uhm... Fifa?

You get the idea ;P

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Wow I just saw that Yakuza 6 and got a GOTY Award !
Congrats to the team, it´s so good to see the turn around - in terms of popularity and recognition, because this is probably the most consistent IP since PS2 era when it comes to quality - the Yakuza series got from last gen !

It's wild to see where the general consensus is with Yakuza this gen. Think back to PS3 era Yakuza talk and imagine telling yourself that, one day, Yakuza will be winning GOTY awards and will seriously be in the conversation for the whole year.

It's great.