• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 5, 2018
Obra Dinn doubt far better than expected. It just won another GOTY from VideoExtra (that's the name right?) and now it's the #2 best game on Polygon. Huge congrats to Lucas Pope because he deserves the praise.

Now if only Celeste or Into the Breach can bring home a GOTY somewhere. ...eh it's not likely, but both are ranking rather high at different outlets so that's nice.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Yeah, Polygon's has to be God of War, it'd be really weird if it's not, like their entire staff bar one person should hate (or think is not very good) the game lol.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Unless Polygon is trolling,God of War is GOTY.Return of the Obra Dinn is the surprise so far this season,I need to play this game now.

Sep 7, 2018
Yeah, likely GOW. Smash must have fallen in the same hole for Polygon that XC2 fell in last year. Unless they're trolling us, and it is Smash. :D

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What does the total number usually come down to?

All I can remember is that The Witcher 3 blew out the competition and had 200 something more than the 2nd place game. Those were some good times.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
PC games reader's choice: RDR2
How doe that work?

What does the total number usually come down to?

All I can remember is that The Witcher 3 blew out the competition and had 200 something more than the 2nd place game. Those were some good times.
there were over 300 awards last year, we're only through 61 so far.

Last edited:

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
GamingBolt -- RDR2

Fun fact: in their "Best PS4 games of 2018" video they have RDR at #3 and GoW at #1. So like wtf?

Since God of War is a PS4 exclusive (and a damn great game, which goes without saying), we thought it deserved more recognition in a list about the best PS4 games. You'll notice something similar in the Xbox One list too (though I don't think that's up yet).

That said, Red Dead Redemption 2 is the overall best game of the year in our opinion, which is why it walks away with the top honours on the whole.

I'll be honest and say one more thing though, when we get to the top of these lists, and have games of this caliber going up against each other, the exact placement at that point doesn't matter quite as much as the fact that they're all being recognized at the highest possible level. They're two incredibly great games and it could have gone either way based on how some team members were feeling that day.

Asmar

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda hope Polygon's goty isn't GOW for the backlash alone :)

It is certainly God of War

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I must say, the fact that Obra Dinn has emerged as the first front-runner for indie GOTY after Celeste got such a push earlier this year is remarkable. People seem to really be loving the game (and rightly so, for what it's worth I also placed Obra Dinn higher on my GOTY ballot here than Celeste).

I'd say my biggest point of curiosity this season is whether Assassin's Creed: Odyssey will nab any awards. It's in a very tough position given that western AAA open-world mindshare has gravitated overwhelmingly towards RDR2 and Spider-Man.

I expect God of War to pick up more than RDR2 and, to be honest, I don't expect it to be particularly close. I'll throw out a number of GoW picking up a 25% premium over what RDR2 does.

DeadlyVirus

Oct 29, 2017
Since God of War is a PS4 exclusive (and a damn great game, which goes without saying), we thought it deserved more recognition in a list about the best PS4 games. You'll notice something similar in the Xbox One list too (though I don't think that's up yet).

That said, Red Dead Redemption 2 is the overall best game of the year in our opinion, which is why it walks away with the top honours on the whole.

I'll be honest and say one more thing though, when we get to the top of these lists, and have games of this caliber going up against each other, the exact placement at that point doesn't matter quite as much as the fact that they're all being recognized at the highest possible level. They're two incredibly great games and it could have gone either way based on how some team members were feeling that day.

So is God of War a good game or a good PS4 game? What is the difference?
Does a game get extra points just because it's multiplatform?

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
They basically don't have a strong preference to rank them but they still did. It's weird but I can't say I haven't been there in the past where I can't decide which game I liked more.

DeadlyVirus

Oct 29, 2017
They basically don't have a strong preference to rank them but they still did. It's weird but I can't say I haven't been there in the past where I can't decide which game I liked more.
But by saying that one game is GOTY and another game is a platform's GOTY, they are ranking them.
There's just a huge logic flaw in those rankings, which make them meaningless

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
One is a list for PS4 titles, one is a list for titles across all platforms. We wanted to recognize a PS4 exclusive for the best PS4 games list since it holds more value to the system, as a game that cannot be played anywhere else. That, of course, isn't something that we'd be doing if God of War wasn't good enough to deserve that recognition- it didn't just win best PS4 because it's an exclusive. It won best PS4 because it's an exclusive, and because it's one of the best games of the year (also #2 in our overall list).

As I said in my previous message, God of War could have just as easily won GOTY on another day, it was a very close call, while Red Dead 2 could have just as easily won best PS4.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

I dont think exclusivity should have any bearing on GOTY pick.

Last edited:

Borowski

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Jun 24, 2018
But by saying that one game is GOTY and another game is a platform's GOTY, they are ranking them.
There's just a huge logic flaw in those rankings, which make them meaningless

It doesn't make sense to me either.

If both games are on the same console and you say game A is better than game B , it's automatically better regardless of platform. It doesn't matter if it is exclusive or not.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
One is a list for PS4 titles, one is a list for titles across all platforms. We wanted to recognize a PS4 exclusive for the best PS4 games list since it holds more value to the system, as a game that cannot be played anywhere else. That, of course, isn't something that we'd be doing if God of War wasn't good enough to deserve that recognition- it didn't just win best PS4 because it's an exclusive. It won best PS4 because it's an exclusive, and because it's one of the best games of the year (also #2 in our overall list).

As I said in my previous message, God of War could have just as easily won GOTY on another day, it was a very close call, while Red Dead 2 could have just as easily won best PS4.

i.........cannot wrap my head around this explanation but hey...you do you. Afterall, it's just an opinion anyway no matter how unfathomable they may be to me.

DeadlyVirus

Oct 29, 2017

GoW is on a list taking the top spot over the overall GOTY, which would make it the GOTY.
On the other hand, RDR2 is #1 on list over GoW, which would make it Best PS4.
This makes no sense. One negates the other.

I'm not trying to argue which one takes the top spot, I'm just pointing out the lack of consistency and logic in the rankings

Last edited:

Coztoomba

Oct 28, 2017
GoW is on a list taking the top spot over the overall GOTY, which would make it the GOTY.
On the other hand, RDR2 is #1 on list over GoW, which would make it Best PS4.
This makes no sense. One negates the other.

I'm not trying to argue which one takes the top spot, I'm just pointing out the lack of consistency and logic in the rankings

Yeah, it's pretty dumb. Trying to keep everyone happy in the stupidest way possible.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
lsgge25c6h521.jpg

RDR2's Subreddit with the perfect pic for this year's GoTY battle.
https://old.reddit.com/r/reddeadred...youre_conflicted_between_your_favorite_games/

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017

Your thought process makes perfect sense to me. I don't know why people here think it's inconsistent or contradictory. Games aren't measurable objective entities; they can be judged differently in different contexts.