• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is your credit score?

• Poor (300-579)

Votes: 31 2.6%
  • Fair (580-669)

Votes: 76 6.3%
  • Good (670-739)

Votes: 188 15.5%
  • Very good (740-799)

Votes: 482 39.8%
  • Excellent (800-850)

Votes: 434 35.8%

• Total voters

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
I had to go to the ER during college for a blood clot while uninsured and couldn't pay for it. It tanked my credit score and I'm slowly getting back to a good place.

Wonderful system really. /s

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Modern capitalism America runs on credit. If everyone was out there maintaining scores in the high 700s by living within their means and spending as frugally as some European countries, the economy would collapse.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
849. I can't for the life of me figure out where that final point is located.

849? I'm surprised you can get that high. I have a perfect record. And im in my mid to late 30s, and literally the reasons for not being higher than 810 are things like "have more debt balance". Which is like nah, that's the point. I only don't pay off things fast that are below inflation.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I had to go to the ER during college for a blood clot while uninsured and couldn't pay for it. It tanked my credit score and I'm slowly getting back to a good place.

Wonderful system really. /s

Yeah, I'm at 586 thanks to this and no end in sight.

Can't wait to get endlessly auto-denied on housing applications in a few months here. Love living in constant fear and poverty.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
some places say im 801, others say 799. Stupid tjmaxx card whose autopay didnt work and didn't notify me of a $5 late fee got eventually sent to collections a few years back causing my score to take a big hit. Only started to get to my old score these past few months

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why mine isn't excellent. I've never done anything late. Always pay my credit card down (now multiple times a month). Very little loans (really no reason to pay off my student loans now). I honestly thing I've been punished for being too perfect.

My S/O on the other hand has at times had a large amount of credit card debt, although now it's all paid off, and she has loans too but her credit score is >840. I don't know how. Maybe the credit cards like that they've made some real money off of her.

I think the system is horrid and should be abolished.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Why isn't finance and credit a part of high school curriculum?
Because banks and credit companies want people to be financially irresponsible

I don't know why mine isn't excellent. I've never done anything late. Always pay my credit card down (now multiple times a month). Very little loans (really no reason to pay off my student loans now). I honestly thing I've been punished for being too perfect.

My S/O on the other hand has at times had a large amount of credit card debt, although now it's all paid off, and she has loans too but her credit score is >840. I don't know how. Maybe the credit cards like that they've made some real money off of her.

I think the system is horrid and should be abolished.

How many accounts do you have?
What are the ages of the accounts?
How many credit pulls have you had?

All of this factors in. Your SO might have more debt, but as long as they pay it all on time, it's not seen as a risk (as long as the ratio isn't too high).

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Because banks and credit companies want people to be financially irresponsible

How many accounts do you have?
What are the ages of the accounts?
How many credit pulls have you had?

All of this factors in. Your SO might have more debt, but as long as they pay it all on time, it's not seen as a risk (as long as the ratio isn't too high).

The only thing I can otherwise figure is it could also be that I opened 2 lines of credit in the last few years simply for the hundreds dollar bonuses. But my credit score has barely moved more than 20 digits in many years.

When we searched for a car loan from >12 different banks and I incurred thousands more dollars in debt my credit score jumped >50 points. But the next month it was back down to usual.

Car loan is now paid off and my score maybe went up 1 point (but down ~40 from the peak right after getting the loan).

G59

Nov 1, 2017
U.S.
849. I can't for the life of me figure out where that final point is located.

This is the highest I have ever heard/seen someone have. I sit around 829ish. 35 years old. I am very curious if you did anything extra to get up that high or just made smart decisions over many years.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
That 703 average is actually way higher than I thought I'd be, so that's good to see.

I thankfully have an 800+ Fico score but it took me a good while to get there.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I had a pretty good one till the pandemic wrecked my situation up and I had to choose between rent, food and bills. I've been too scared to look at it

Kelsdesu

Oct 25, 2017
I had a pretty good one till the pandemic wrecked my situation up and I had to choose between rent, food and bills. I've been too scared to look at it
The exact opposite for me. I knocked out half my debt in two months and my score barely moved up 9 points. Then dropped down 4 points afterwards. I dont get it.

Oct 29, 2017
The exact opposite for me. I knocked out half my debt in two months and my score barely moved up 9 points. Then dropped down 4 points afterwards. I dont get it.

Paying off credit lines in full and also closing accounts can actually drop your score. Maintain a balance of less than 30%, but maintain a balance while making monthly on time payments to get the best use out of your credit cards.

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
Forever stuck dancing around 800 for years now, but it's whatever. 3 cards, with average history of over 8 years. No incidents. Utilization is generally low.
33 y/o white dude.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Mine fluctuates between 775 - 800ish, at least in the past year or two. It's not bad considering the only debt I have is credit cards that I pay the full statement balance off each month. If I had a mortgage or car loan it would probably be higher, which is nonsensical to me but that's how the game is played I guess.

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Mine is possibly the worst on era. Or I'm the most honest. 490. But I'm working on it.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Mine's 773. Surprised how high the average is. Having trouble breaking past the 800 barrier since i don't have enough debt history.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
750. And I'm above the median for every metric in the article too ... so, that's good I suppose.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
808 according to my bank. It isn't do shit outside of give me a ton of credit card offers.

I would happily sell credit points if I could.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
866/900 🤷‍♂️

b7ffe62832f4301997f40d4de88f81daf0e190ec.jpg

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
A little over 800 in my mid-30's here in the PNW. Took me about 7 years to get from 680 to this point and it gets me easy rental applications and endless credit card/bank loan offers.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
742 now. Took a hit last year moving cross-country and put the moving expenses on credit (would rather have liquid cash for emergencies), but that's mostly fixed now.

Seriously. There is ZERO reason to answer this poll truthfully.

Anonymous polls on ERA so people would really only be lying to themselves.

I had a class on this when I was a freshman in high school (1990), and I was in a pretty average public school. But I also took home ec and shop classes, and I don't think those are a thing anymore either. My guess is, like most school things, it got cut to focus on whatever standardized testing we're pushing kids toward now.

It's probably this. My old school was chopping vocational stuff over a decade ago. I doubt any of that still gets taught.

I'll bite the bullet and accept the shame:

No shame. Shit's hard.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm right at 700 and can't seem to get it much higher. I think it's because I have like $60k in student loan debt that is ruining me forever.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Mine was steadily in the 750s until I bought a house two years ago, and it went up to 815 after paying my mortgage on time and whittling down my student loans by a good amount during this forbearance period.

TKM

Oct 28, 2017

Not sure why yours isn't excellent, but my credit score has been basically perfect for many years. And I've never carried any credit card balances or missed any payments. Being in debt is not necessary for a high tier score.

Number of open accounts: 12
Age of oldest account: 20 years, 8 months
Age of newest account: 0 year, 6 months
Average age of credit: 12 years, 3 months
Credit Utilization: 1%
Credit Limit: $137,000
Credit Inquiries: 5 (I'm in the process of refinancing my mortgage)
Payment History: 100% on-time payments
Credit Score: 825

Paying off my student loan, and getting a mortgage didn't move the score much up or down.

If I had to guess, maybe you do not have many credit card accounts open so your credit utilization is a bit high due to a lower aggregate credit limit.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Like in the 680s since I got a car recently.

Went on a pretty bad downward spiral years back and put myself into serious debt, and slowly climbed out of it. All I have now is one credit card I'm slowly paying off, my student loans, and my car payment.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
that shit ain't gonna help you from being poor... when you're living paycheck to paycheck you don't give a fuck about credit score or any of that shit. You just care if you have a roof over your head, car for work or food on your table.
True, but History class also didn't do much for my financial well-being :p Opening up a line of credit, taking out loans... this is heavy stuff for someone having access to fresh outta high school--w/ potentially huge economic ramifications--and knowledge of basic finance could go a long way in making life just a lil' bit easier down the road!

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
797 via Experian, age 33, "white" (biracial, part-Korean) male.

Imagine I'd be in the 800's right now but I literally didn't get my first credit card until early 2018 and my only debt was student loans, which I've regularly paid on time — I didn't feel financially stable enough to handle additional debt up until that point, but I've been pretty on top of it since I applied. I also took out a small, short-term (3 year) car loan early last year to cover the last gap I needed to buy my new car, which I will end up paying off ahead of time in just a couple of months, only about halfway through its term.

I've only ever missed a single rent payment in my entire life as far as financials go, and that was taken care of almost immediately after the fact. I had a habit of using my financial aid refunds during college to cover my lease agreements in 6 month spans, but my very first lease, I unwittingly forgot to cover one month during winter break (January), got hit with a rent past due notice, and took care of it out of pocket at the time. Pretty sure that's my only financial miss ever so far.

Not gonna lie, I have had to really concentrate on some restraint since I got my credit cards. I initially did go really hard and bought enough furniture to almost completely furnish my apartment just after I got it (which was the reason I applied for it in the first place), then I opened a second credit card to buy a fancy TV with, and for a span of about 6 months, juggling the two debts on top of student loans actually felt pretty scary, and one of the credit cards started to accrue some serious interest accruals for a few months, but I really pulled myself together and got it taken care of, and that was something of a difficult lesson. I have been far more restrained and been keeping my credit limits in the green since. Never missed a minimum payment during that time, but it did for a little while feel like I was going to be able to keep up. Dangerous thing that can be, I feel — I'm glad I had what it took available to me to get that sorted out and didn't fall into a debt trap.

JCH!

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tenerife
Is this an exclusively American thing or are banks keeping track of these things internally everywhere and just don't make it public here?

I don't think I've ever heard anyone ever talk about credit scores here.

Deleted member 11479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Xenophobia; prior severe ban for excusing sexualized depictions of minors.
Credit score? LOL. Y'all live in China or what?

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
My wife and I were trying to get her score up to get better interest rates for a mortgage refinance so we transferred a large amount of credit card debt from her accounts to mine and I added her name to a high credit line card of mine with zero balance. Her score went from 667 to 750 over night.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I have 760 for almost 13 yrs now. Never moved an inch.
Do you have a lot of accounts or just a few?

The only thing I can otherwise figure is it could also be that I opened 2 lines of credit in the last few years simply for the hundreds dollar bonuses. But my credit score has barely moved more than 20 digits in many years.

When we searched for a car loan from >12 different banks and I incurred thousands more dollars in debt my credit score jumped >50 points. But the next month it was back down to usual.

Car loan is now paid off and my score maybe went up 1 point (but down ~40 from the peak right after getting the loan).
Mine went down a lot after I paid off a student loan really fast.

Basically, if you're doing a good job and trying to pay off stuff fast, you'll end up messing up your score, because the companies want to make sure that they're able to make interest from you.

It was infuriating, and it took a long time for it to go up.

Today I saw that it went above 800 for the first time.

866/900 🤷‍♂️

b7ffe62832f4301997f40d4de88f81daf0e190ec.jpg
Which company does 900? Or is this one of those secret things that no one is supposed to know.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Why isn't finance and credit a part of high school curriculum?
To be honest, it was for me and the schools around me. I went to a public school with some of the lowest test scores in the state, and we had a required personal finance class to take junior or senior year. We learned how to balance a checkbook, difference between savings and checking accounts, what a good interest rate is, how to improve your credit score, how mortgages work, etc.

Obviously this isn't the case everyone in the US, but I pointed out details about my high school to show that it isn't just rich white private schools that have these classes. My friend who went to a school a few towns over had the same requirement.

I hope in the future all schools will have this, because while I didn't retain much of it, it did at least make me think about these ideas. I'm inmy early 20s so high school wasn't THAT long ago. Maybe things are improving in this regard

FlexMentallo

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
I moved to the US 13.5 years ago, in my mid-30s, the importance of credit scores blew my mind. I researched how to build credit and followed that pretty hardcore, and mine's pretty good now, but man you need to work at it.

20 year old fiscally irresponsible me would have been fucked.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can NEVER get over 808. Don't know what the hell they want me to do.

Plus it's going to go down now that I'm doing a refi.