• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Reading this i expect the single player stuff to be disappointing and the way the game can be fun is if you play co-op with friends.

I hope i am wrong

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Simple: don't make a multiplayer-focused Avengers game. Make it a guided single-player game where each level is keyed around the strengths of a particular character so you don't have Iron Man floating around an inch off the floor so he can punch the same generic Hydra goons that Cap punches.

Neutering what makes these characters special and unique so they can all fight right next to each other just for a goddamn marketing bullet point is going to make a really boring and repetitive game.
I'm wondering what your thoughts on Mua3 are then(all admittedly you do get flight and webswinging there and the new game is going to have normals actually being unique with both melee and ranged ones with different styles and movements)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering what your thoughts on Mua3 are then(all admittedly you do get flight and webswinging there and the new game is going to have normals actually being unique with both melee and ranged ones with different styles and movements)

Ultimate Alliance isn't a AAA game. I'm more forgiving when a game isn't hyped up and teased by its publisher for over a year only to turn out to be Destiny but with punching this time.

I mean...there's a reason those games were two hours long.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
What is exactly a GaaS game? I'm out of the loop here and it seems that is not very liked by a lot of people.
Not sure why no one is answering you but "Games As A Service" is a game that you must be connected to online and usually continuously pay for on a reoccurring basis. Some games require pay just to play while other games for money to keep your character or weapons updated. Many use Pay to Win mechanics and loot boxes.

There are many types of GaaS, some are MMO, some are Free to Play/Free to Start, some are mobile. Destiny, Dota 2, Fortnite, Candy Crush and WoW can fall under this umbrella.

This is especially disappointing since the early theories gave people hope for a massive single player narrative.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Ultimate Alliance isn't a AAA game. I'm more forgiving when a game isn't hyped up and teased by its publisher for over a year only to turn out to be Destiny but with punching this time.

I mean...there's a reason those games were two hours long.
2 years of teasing actually. Then again with Mua3 Nintendo's done a very brisk 7 months from reveal to release

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
2 years of teasing actually. Then again with Mua3 Nintendo's done a very brisk 7 months from reveal to release

Pretty much. MUA is a smaller game overall, and it hasn't been hyped to heaven and back by Nintendo.

By comparison, this game is supposed to be Square Enix's biggest game until FFVIIr or FFXVI come out. Seeing a bunch of neutered, gimped versions of Marvel heroes in a mega-hyped AAA game is a lot more disappointing and frustrating than it would be in a small game like Ultimate Alliance.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Great Description

Sounds a lot like Mass Effect but with Co Op where you play as The Avengers. Sign me up

Pabz

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds good to me. A Superhero game shaped for a Co-Op experience sounds amazing

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Not sure why no one is answering you but "Games As A Service" is a game that you must be connected to online and usually continuously pay for on a reoccurring basis. Some games require pay just to play while other games for money to keep your character or weapons updated. Many use Pay to Win mechanics and loot boxes.

There are many types of GaaS, some are MMO, some are Free to Play/Free to Start, some are mobile. Destiny, Dota 2, Fortnite, Candy Crush and WoW can fall under this umbrella.

This is especially disappointing since the early theories gave people hope for a massive single player narrative.
Thanks for the reply Sketch!
Maybe it's because is common knowledge at this point lol.
I usually don't play online nor any of the games you mentioned.

It sounds awful for me at least so I'll have to see what's the game about first and then decide if it could buy it.

Hoping for the best case scenario though!

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
I truly hope this isn't as bad as Anthem, because if it is I'll riot.

It won't be because the Hero nature fixes one of Anthem's core issues. Storytelling.

In Anthem it's dull because internet strangers are your companions. In this game everyone plays as a set role so you aren't pairing up with Noobmaster69 you are pairing up with Captain America/Ironman and cutscenes reflect that. Noobmaster69 or a friend is just playing the role of an AI companion in the action parts hopefully better then the default AI

Mission structure is likely going to be like Mass Effect with some missions open to all characters/builds while others will require specific players/heroes as there are specific stories that the creative teams want to tell about those characters ie How Liara was a mandatory companion in ME2s Lair of the Shadowbroker DLC

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
ugh man I really hope this isn't a "play as the Avengers' new best friend" situation

I want to be Captain America, not get quests from Captain America

your post sparked fear in me...what if it IS like destiny, with the different avengers leading each 'class' in a hub section (like clyde and those other main characters) in destiny.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It won't be because the Hero nature fixes one of Anthem's core issues. Storytelling.

In Anthem it's dull because internet strangers are your companions. In this game everyone plays as a set role so you aren't pairing up with Noobmaster69 you are pairing up with Captain America/Ironman and cutscenes reflect that. Noobmaster69 or a friend is just playing the role of an AI companion in the action parts hopefully better then the default AI

Mission structure is likely going to be like Mass Effect with some missions open to all characters/builds while others will require specific players/heroes as there are specific stories that the creative teams want to tell about those characters ie How Liara was a mandatory companion in ME2s Lair of the Shadowbroker DLC

Well i hope it's something like this.If they can manage to create an interesting world and have a good story then it could be great!

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Well i hope it's something like this.If they can manage to create an interesting world and have a good story then it could be great!

It definitely seems possible. Create your own character in these games seems to hurt more then help. Take any great party based RPG and swap an human in for Combat AI and you have the best of both worlds.

Borderlands gets closest to this currently but not having the ability to swap mains/team composition hurts it since it doesn't build comraderie among the individual characters.

Most other GAAS games give up the ability to do this by having create your own character designs vs the create your own version of this beloved character design

Detective Loki

Imagine Mass Effect 2 but playing with 3 friends. You each choose a character out of the crew so you could have Garrus, Tali and Mordin go on a mission all played by you and your friends, or Jacob, Miranda and Thane ect

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Simple: don't make a multiplayer-focused Avengers game. Make it a guided single-player game where each level is keyed around the strengths of a particular character so you don't have Iron Man floating around an inch off the floor so he can punch the same generic Hydra goons that Cap punches.

Neutering what makes these characters special and unique so they can all fight right next to each other just for a goddamn marketing bullet point is going to make a really boring and repetitive game.

Ah, my excitement is killed.

Yeah, based on the description I can easily see it falling into the problem of heroes just being slightly varied ways to tackling the same exact obstacles. 'Want to kill this mob as Reinhart the Hulk, or as Pharah Iron-Man?'.

But the idea of jumping between heroes GTA V -style to tackle a linear story is an idea I'm finding really cool. I can adapt the battles at the end of Avengers and Age of Ultron in my head to that kind of formula.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, my excitement is killed.

Yeah, based on the description I can easily see it falling into the problem of heroes just being slightly varied ways to tackling the same exact obstacles. 'Want to kill this mob as [strike]Reinhart[/strike]the Hulk, or as [strike]Pharah[/strike]Iron-Man?'.

But the idea of jumping between heroes GTA V -style to tackle a linear story is an idea I'm finding really cool. I can adapt the battles at the end of Avengers and Age of Ultron in my head to that kind of formula.

Exactly. There's a way to make a really compelling Marvel game using the strengths of specific characters to do interesting things and creative setpieces. Do a level where Iron Man and Captain Marvel have to fly into space to stop an army of Kree drone ships from attacking Earth, and then a level where Thor and the Hulk are fighting Fin Fang Foom or another giant enemy.

Instead we're just gonna get stock levels where the only choice is which color you want your hit sparks to be when you punch the same generic low-level goons this time.

Sep 14, 2018
Well, now it will only be a huge success that sells millions of copies instead of a huge success that sells millions of copies.

When did they claim their not being interested would prevent that success?

People who respond like this must think they're so above it all lol.

Person X doesn't like Y. It's ok. No need to be a troll.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a beefier Ultimate Alliance so there's pretty much no way this isn't an instacop unless it has that MvC:I budget, which it likely doesn't.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They're not going to make a game called The Avengers where you don't play as an Avenger. SavageSquirtle91 's info sounds solid to me.
I'm just gonna hope for the Ms. Marvel rumor to be true.

I'm hoping so too. This sounds pretty cool if true.

I'm interested in a comics based game. Not really interested in a cash in based on movies based on comics.

MCU movies are good adaptation, but story and character wise it's still pretty weak even a decade in.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I hope it's something I'll like.

Very few GaaS games end up being something I want to play which is a shame because so many of the biggest games this gen have been GaaS

Destiny I just never much cared for the gameplay loop and since I'm not interested in multiplayer, not being able to do the raid content feels like I'm missing a huge chunk of the game.

Anthem was, well, Anthem...

Division I didn't care much for the loot or story.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there's no footage and anything to be pessimist yet about this game, and i'm a very pessimist guy by nature

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Ugh, not too impressed with this falling into the GaaS category. I'm still excited to see what the hell this looks like and what it plays like, but my expectations will be muted a bit accordingly.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So you have never liked DLC expansions?

Mario Kart 8 base to Mario Kart 8D is a huge difference.

The only DLC expansion that was worth the money I paid for it was Blood and Wine. Most games nowadays aren't even good enough to justify the initial cost, much less paying them even more for two hours of mediocre post-game content.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I'm a simple guy. Let me play as black panther, bouncing from enemy to enemy doing somersaults and spinning kicks and you have my money

And wasp better be Janet

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017
Superhero games have become way more sparse as of late, so as long as this has a solid foundation I'm in. The fact that there is singleplayer, and we will probably be playing as the heroes, makes this sound pretty good to me already.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would be totally down for something like a Marvel version of DC universe online.
Agreed. DCUO is hampered by some terrible pay to win lootboxes and loot reset currency. And it's running on UE3 so it's getting pretty long in the tooth. That said, the fan service is out of control good, the combat can be quite fun, the styling system is fantastic and the variety of powers/ weapons/ movement is great. An AAA Marvel spin on that formula could be amazing.

Hidden One

Oct 26, 2017
❔❔❔
We were expecting this...

source.gif

...but we might end up with...

giphy-10gif.gif

...so now we're all like...

giphy.gif
Pretty much. I'm expecting MARVELS version of DCU Online.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
For what it's worth, Lady Bow & I did some digging yesterday regarding the reveal trailer & how it may tie into the Ms. Marvel rumor (namely regarding her main voice actress, Kathreen Khavari). Here's what we found.
So Neoxon and I were looking into SavageSquirtle91's Ms. Marvel/Kamala Khan claims and it looks like the voice actor for Ms. Marvel in the cartoons (Kathreen Khavari) might be the one who's doing the voiceover in the Avengers Project teaser trailer released two years ago. Try comparing the vids:

What do y'all think?

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Maybe it's for the best that y'all are trashing this before reveal
I remember the last time that y'all did this, with Apex Legends
"Respawn making a Titanfall battle royale game without wall-running or titans? DEAD ON ARRIVAL INSTANT FAIL RIP RESPAWN"

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019

Its still gonna have a massive single player narrative based on the description

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe it's for the best that y'all are trashing this before reveal
I remember the last time that y'all did this, with Apex Legends
"Respawn making a Titanfall battle royale game without wall-running or titans? DEAD ON ARRIVAL INSTANT FAIL RIP RESPAWN"

It just died after arrival is all.

I kid, I don't jive with the negativity here either. What we're hearing about this game in these threads sound great.

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine the publisher that's made countless single player games all gen, just abandoning all that completely. Come on now. Will there be Gaas, yes absolutely but y'all so over the top it's insane