• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I liked LoK too - it definitely had issues but I liked how different it was from TLA and I hope that the future projects are all very very different from each other too.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
It's interesting. I see how LoK isn't 'as good' as Avatar, but I don't see it as a disappointment due to how much of a shift in focus it was. As such, it made watching the two back to back such an unforgettable experience.

I would love for them to continue exploring Avatar this way (and throw the occasional TLA/Korra bone)

While the show has it rough patches (Season 2 comes to mind), I thoroughly enjoyed 'Legend of Korra' when it debut and even when re-watching the series I wish there were more action-adventure cartoons that have excellent fight choreography and a lovable cast. Tenzin in particular is my favourite because of how he tries to be the wise, all-knowing mentor to Korra and his kids, while projecting a calm demeanour that cracks the moment when he becomes flustered by any perceived foolishness or madness that happens around him.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
I hate how extreme every opinion has to be on the internet lol (I fall victim to this sometimes too). Korra gets too much hate.

The original is better, but Korra is still really good, imo. Season 3 especially feels on par with the original show.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I hate how extreme every opinion has to be on the internet lol (I fall victim to this sometimes too). Korra gets too much hate.

The original is better, but Korra is still really good, imo. Season 3 especially feels on par with the original show.
Yup. I like OG better, but Korra is still a great time despite some of its issues.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
It is, but it also FAR outstrips everything else in LoK. Noticeably so.

The Siege of Zaofu, Ragemonster Korra v Zaheer, the Korra v. Kuvira runback, Mako/Bolin v. Ming-Hua/Ghazan, Wan/Raava v. Vaatu, Korra/Tonrak v. Zaheer are all impressive show pieces as well. Studio Mir deserves their flowers.

like, y'all can prefer ATLA all day and night, but let's not get to lying lmao

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
Yeah maybe its because I never watched TLA growing up (LOK S1 was the first time I watched any of the franchise -- I have since watched all of both shows), but LOK easily beats out TLA in the fights across all 4 seasons imo.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Legend of Korra's fights are better in terms of the sheer quality of the animation. On that front it might be one of the best looking western series ever made, but some of the individuality of each character was lost in the focused on mixed martial arts style fighting. There are good lore reasons for it but it's worth considering when I think about which series had more fun fights to watch.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Siege of Zaofu, Ragemonster Korra v Zaheer, the Korra v. Kuvira runback, Mako/Bolin v. Ming-Hua/Ghazan, Wan/Raava v. Vaatu, Korra/Tonrak v. Zaheer are all impressive show pieces as well. Studio Mir deserves their flowers.

like, y'all can prefer ATLA all day and night, but let's not get to lying lmao

I watched all of Korra just recently, and Suyin vs Kuvira still shits on all of those fights.

Honestly, none of the fights you mentioned are memorable to me. Didn't even mention Tenzin vs Zaheer, which is probably the next best fight in LoK.

Wan/Raava vs Vaatu was blah, Korra vs Zaheer was an okay Avatar battle (tbf, it's about equal with Aang vs Ozai... I prefer the latter for the story beat & nostalgia, but objectively it's the same shit), and most of the others aren't really great to me.

Korra/Tonrak vs Zaheer was okay, still not on the level of Suyin/Kuvira or Tenzin/Zaheer... so forth.

EDIT: The individuality & style of bending is a big piece here for me. Even though Korra may be technically animated better, it's usually used for the most basic and boring bending I've ever seen.

Her airbending in particular is the greatest tragedy. She kind of just throws out elements.

And Mako/Bolin have never had an interesting bending style in any capacity. The metalbenders are more creative with fuckin' rope

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Glad this thread is transforming into a Korra appreciation event after people literally wanting to erase it from the franchise...

I've heard some disgusting opinions from "fans", with regards to the lead character, and I sometimes wonder why I even bother with interacting with the fanbase.

I always fully agree with Season 2 being the weak link, but I'm happy we got a follow up series that changed the status quo of what TLA established. The moral ambiguity of the semi-sympathetic villains also felt like a welcome complexity in a show that was a response to it's predecessor series.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Nick has terribly managed this franchise. It's an amazing universe and they've treated it like crap.

Luckily they're amending that now.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
It is, but it also FAR outstrips everything else in LoK. Noticeably so.
Tenzin vs Zaheer? Korra vs Zaheer?

Season 3 of Korra is incredible yall fronting
^^^
S3 LOK is on par if not better than S2 ATLA (which I consider the best)

And even then, LOK was only worse because of Nick. Not being able to plan ahead really screwed them over.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I like Korra but the nerfed bending and altered atmosphere do not make me optimistic for any story told after the days of the Gaang
That's why the biggest fan interest is on doing a Kyoshi arc. Still antiquity.

I've been enjoying Korra on a slow burn, but the urban setting changes the atmosphere immensely.

OP
OP
Spectromixer

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Apparently the films all be CG animation

And one of the other big projects that we're working on, on the theatrical front is Avatar. We signed a deal to bring the original creators of Avatar back into the studios. They started Avatar Studios, and they're well on their way in development on a series of CG films and a new Avatar series.

www.viacomcbs.com

Brian Robbins on Prioritizing Kids & Family Content Across Platforms | Paramount

“Consumption and viewing habits have changed for everybody—maybe even more so for kids.”

Mar 27, 2018
If it's high quality enough, I think it could be okay.

But goddamn, I was so excited to see this thread bumped, what a letdown

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
It would be an unrealistic expectation to have all of their works be in 2D so it makes sense that the films and spinoffs could be CG. Now with that said, I think the one constant should be that main series that feature the Avatar as the main character like Aang and Korra ought to be 2D.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
There's been good looking CG movies before. It's ok if it's not 2D.

Let's relax and wait to see how it looks.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going CG would obviously depend on the production values. It can look great if it's an artistic choice of the creators and the studio backs that with a budget that allows quality animation.

If we're getting CG just so the studio can save a buck, it's going to suck.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I think CG is fine. Walt Disney Animation and DreamWorks have already shown you can make great fantasy stories with CG without diluting the experience.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If Avatar has to go to hollywood I'm fine with CGI films. If they execute it right it could look really cool. Anything to get us away from live action.

I'm more excited/relieved to see that a new series is coming. I'm assuming traditionally animated like we're used to and that's all I wanted.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
CG can be fine if well implemented. I hope it has a unique art style and doesn't simply look like the typical "dreamworks" cg animation.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
CG is ... perfectly fine. IDK where all the moaning is coming from.

The quality will depend a lot on whom they get to make it, but stuff like KFP and Raya show how amazing CG martial arts fighting can be and stuff like Land of the Lustrous show how amazing "Anime style" can translate into CG. Hell, I've been seeing 3D fan animated Aang stuff for over a year now, and even that translates well.

I have far more faith in a 3D animated version of this show than a live action movie or series tbh.

Aug 7, 2019
It turned from one movie into a "series of films", if it had been a singular focus we would've had that 2D chance but conveyor belts gotta convey

We have an entire Studios which ought to mean several areas of animation training, but I can now see the series also right hooking us

Kamala

Sep 22, 2019
CG not my first choice, but I loved both of the previous series so I'm still hopeful.

Also agree with S3 of Korra love, I love love it. Top tier avatar imo.

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
My main problem with cg is that it is a completely different way of animating that translates in different expression, different results

It doesn't mean doing CG is bad but for people that like 2d, it's a bad sign because it seems like the industry is abandoning 2d, more and more

People that are fans of Avatar come to associate it with 2d animation so it's natural to see resistance.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
What are they even planing to "do"?

Tell stories about Avatars before Aang?
Tell more ... Aang stories?
New, future Avatar post Korra?
More poorly handled Korra Political drama?
Or is this just another retelling of the shows?

Cause if they do a new, post Korra Avatar then ... their world may very well be in the future. Their society and tech exploded in leaps between Aang and Korra which always made me feel like Korra was the natural end to the series unless they want to go all He-Man/ She-Ra and do a mix of full on Sci-Fi and magic.

Do they explore other parts of the world or are the lands we've seen just all there is to Avatar world?

I'm guessing we have lil-to-no info on this but just tossing it out there incase someone heard something. I find it hard to grasp why they're going so damn hard on Avatar content rn ... making a NF live action retelling of the OG series, a series of CGI movies and a series that may or may not be 2D all at once.