• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Obligatory "Korra is good, actually" post that's unfortunately requisite for every Avatar thread at this point

Also, release the soundtrack Nick you cowards

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yessss, I'm hesitant because I've been burned too many times but I believe in Byrke and I want more Avatar content. I wanna see old avatars, future avatars, Kyoshi's story, Korra and ATLA shorts...anything and everything.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Here comes the hyperbole again. Holy shit.
So heres the thing: not really. Like, its an exceptionally valid opinion, with an exceptional amount of evidence to back it up.

In terms of quality, Korra is bad. The production was plagued with issues, the creators did't think ahead and it shows, it retcons the shit out of the established lore(and itself, since as I mentioned, the creators didn't think ahead), shits on at least two of the OG characters , theres an entire season where every character is a giant asshole to every other character, many plot lines and character development were rushed, many of the additions to the lore (giant kaju spirit fights, giant kaju mechs, people flying) were pretty stupid

And yet in spite of that, I loved Korra. Then and now. At the old place I defended it every week even during the lows of season 2. But thinking back on it, I was failing to separate enjoyment from quality. Its ok to like things that have issues, and Korra is one of them. But I also think its important to recognize that enjoyment and quality are not the same thing.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hope they adapt (and maybe retcon?) The Search comics, a movie about that would be amazing, with the original cast and everything. Holy shit just imagine the possibilities!!!!!

Oct 25, 2017
A few weeks ago I made a comment about Nick not really using the popularity of the Avatar brand to their advantage. Little did I know

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
giphy.gif

Most appropriate reaction!

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Here's to hoping an official OST finally comes out.

Be interesting to see who's animating the theatrical film.

Oct 27, 2017
This is so fucking hype and should have been done ages ago. Avatar is such a cool universe, I guess the Netflix data made Nick realize what a goldmine they were sitting on.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Alright Paramount, you'll get 1 month of subscription out of me. You better put maximum effort into this and not rush things like your predecessors helped happen with Korra.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hope they adapt (and maybe retcon?) The Search comics, a movie about that would be amazing, with the original cast and everything. Holy shit just imagine the possibilities!!!!!

I really hope they retcon the Search comics, or at least make some huge adjustments with the storyline. There were interesting ideas but Gene Yang is just not a great writer for the Avatar universe imo. I didn't like a single storyline he wrote. Faith Erin Hicks was a much better author and I've vastly preferred her interpretations of Bryan and Mike's ideas over Gene's.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
An adaptation of the comics would be great, tHough hopefully not 1:1 since they did have their issues...

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Animate all the comics and the Kyoshi books. PLEASE.

All that stuff should be treated like OVA's. (hopefully it's not too expensive)

The Next main avatar series can make do with similar budgets the original Avatar was operating with.

Obligatory "Korra is good, actually" post that's unfortunately requisite for every Avatar thread at this point

Also, release the soundtrack Nick you cowards

Of course Korra is good. It's not great like the OG show. They don't have to hit their highest highs but I think the rushed production schedule clearly led to some issues with how it came out in ways it didn't need to. Though the writers themselves messed up in some very specific fundamental ways like the way they handled the underlying implications of the Equalist movement.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is some damn good news. More animation works from the Avatar universe is more than welcome.

The Dragon Prince gets so good that they greenlit four more seasons.
I actually really like where they went with The Dragon Prince and am looking forward to the rest of it, animation quality aside.
The Dragon Prince's most recent season was really good, I agree. After season 1 I didn't have any issues with the animation.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
All that stuff should be treated like OVA's. (hopefully it's not too expensive)

The Next main avatar series can make do with similar budgets the original Avatar was operating with.

Of course Korra is good. It's not great like the OG show. They don't have to hit their highest highs but I think the rushed production schedule clearly led to some issues with how it came out in ways it didn't need to. Though the writers themselves messed up in some very specific fundamental ways like the way they handled the underlying implications of the Equalist movement.

I wrote a decent amount of words about how it actually transcends Avatar on a lot of their shared themes, so I think it's similarly great as its predecessor.

I would say ATLA is "better," but Korra complements it very well. It has many issues, but a lot of them are simply more visible sins that exist in Avatar too.

SykoTech

Dec 23, 2020
Finally.

The Avatar universe is so rich and full of potential. I always felt that in the right hands it could become the next Star Wars in terms of mass appeal and unlimited potential for new stories. The way they treated the series essentially die during Korra's run was infuriating. Korra had a ton of issues, but not enough to virtually end the franchise. Looks like they finally woke up, probably due to how popular the original show became on on Netflix.

Here's hoping this turns out as amazing as it should.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
Well Korra exposed a lot of deficiencies in Mike and Bryan's writing abilities so ideally they are balanced out with writers and directors who are able to tone down some of their problems and make a stronger product overall. But it sounds like they are giving them even more creative influence so I have zero faith in this.

I'm actually fine with the idea of Avatar as a whole ending. ATLA did everything it needed to and it's nice having things bow out when everyone is still clapping rather than having them die pitifully when people just get sick of it. But you gotta churn out content for the streaming service, I guess.

Lionheart360

Oct 27, 2017
The first theatrical film has to be based around Aang and the gang in their adult years right? I know Korra already showed some of that in flashbacks, but I really think they would want to go down a familiar route for their first movie outing.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Give us the search for Zuko's mom as a movie please.

Yes, I know the comics exist, but I don't care.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first theatrical film has to be based around Aang and the gang in their adult years right? I know Korra already showed some of that in flashbacks, but I really think they would want to go down a familiar route for their first movie outing.
well there is a whole book series about that they could use as a baseline. honestly it was weird they did nothing with a series so many people loved for so long.

Nov 14, 2017
No one has asked the most important question:

Will there be cabbages on set when filming or will the cabbages be CGI???

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
how will nickelodeon fuck over the franchise this time? i think we'll be pleasantly surprised.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well Korra exposed a lot of deficiencies in Mike and Bryan's writing abilities so ideally they are balanced out with writers and directors who are able to tone down some of their problems and make a stronger product overall. But it sounds like they are giving them even more creative influence so I have zero faith in this.

I'm actually fine with the idea of Avatar as a whole ending. ATLA did everything it needed to and it's nice having things bow out when everyone is still clapping rather than having them die pitifully when people just get sick of it. But you gotta churn out content for the streaming service, I guess.
kinda feel bad for them. animation in the west (on tv anyways) doesnt go much beyond children's cartoons. it was clear they wanted to move in to young adult, but were told no. I would love to see a western animation scene that goes after young adults/adults, but not holding out hope for that, still expect that to mostly be the territory of anime.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This sounds amazing, but what are we expecting for the first movie?
  • An Aang story
  • A Korra story
  • An earlier known Avatar
  • A previously-unknown Avatar (past or future)

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I have my doubts this will last. Nickelodeon treated the series like shit towards the end of Korra. What has changed since then for them to suddenly push it so hard?

As long as we get something out of this. An animated movie with an older Aang Gang or based on the comic would be dope but I just want the third series starring the next Avatar in line.