• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It was obvious since at least 10 years ago. Our kids will be fine though, I'm positive something big will happen sooner or later. History has always worked like that.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
I feel like millennials and gen Z are gonna be the sacrificial generations that bring about fundamental change.

America is a slow conservative as hell system, so I don't see monumental change happening in time to save most of Gen Z

Oct 27, 2017
So if boomers got all the wealth (bullshit) what happens when they die? They get buried with their assets like Egyptian pharaohs or something?

These articles are dumb. Millennials compare the lives of boomers, who mostly lived in the suburbs, to living in the middle of a city where housing supply is unable to meet demand so prices skyrocket.

Compare apples to apples. You are not living your parents' lives, you are not living where they did, and you don't want to.

Want to live like a boomer? Go live where you'll have to drive for an hour to work and back from every day, houses are cheaper, that's why they bought there. And study less. And stick to a TV, BBQ, washing the car, and mowing the lawn when you have free time, while the wife spends her time doing the cooking and the laundry. Maybe a vacation for four or five days in Mexico, in an all inclusive in a place like Cancun, once every three years or so.
Boomers aren't hoarding wealth, they're wasting resources. Like they always have. They're the laziest group I've ever had to work with. The problem is that their wastefulness means more consolidation of wealth at the top where it never recycles. I've heard more than a few say they're burning through all their assets and leaving their kids with nothing. Should rename them the selfish generation.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
Time to get those great factory jobs in the suburbs where you don't need a degree!

I'm gonna push back on this bit because my dad worked in the city but lived an hour away in suburbs, and took naps on a side of the road when traffic was paralyzed. I also live an hour away and work in the city, but I actually nap on the public bus instead of drive there when traffic is paralyzed.

So at least in my experience, people lived the suburbs but worked in the city all the time. At least to me, this urge to want to live AND work in the city feels somewhat new. At one point my dad lived in out and out rural community and still drove to the city. (And I had to drive to college like a normal commuter every time I stayed there.)

Deleted member 56069

User requested account deletion
Banned
Apr 18, 2019
That's a depressing way to start the morning. Though it's been this way for years now. I have a good job, but I still live at home because housing is unaffordable here in Toronto, and I'm still in massive student debt.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what is slayven even doing in a millennial thread. He was complaining about the Boomer generation when they were coming of age back in the day.

edit: also actually reading the article, it basically just restates the same millennial talking points we've complained about forever (stagnant wages, housing too expensive, student loans, low savings) framed with "if a recession happens, it'll be worse".

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ain't about to go out like a punk (like most in this thread). Gonna keep working hard to get mines and provide for my family.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
w2962jLJZoS_c4yi3Gp903RXBcg=.gif

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I would highly recommend to my fellow millennials to find their recession proof career now, like healthcare which is always understaffed.

This assumes we're safe from the net-negative situation of education and retraining. Some things to consider...

- Certain jobs likely to be safe from automation like home health aide pay like shit. Your first hint as to why there's an understaffing.
- Some of the higher end specializations in the field are at risk of automation. When stuff like Enlitic is pervasive over many more domains of health care - particularly diagnosis and screening - you're going to see more and more of the higher paying, specialized work get delegated to technology, which means fewer hours, the cutting of benefits, and the drop in wages. This is more of an immediate issue of precarity and not so much a worry about technological unemployment, which I think many incorrectly think of.
- Retraining and re-education, right now, work for maybe one in four people. Assuming we tell people the next "job gold mine" to reset themselves for, this will be a smoke and mirrors game much like how STEM has been propagandized as a panacea, when that too has shown there's a significant oversupply of people looking for jobs than jobs available in almost all observable metrics.

Very well said. I work with boomers all day and I'd say about a quarter of them are down right dismissive to me and the other millenials who with me. It's really off-putting and there's been several instances (not recently luckily) where they have tried to bait me or had conversations with older coworkers to elicit a reaction from me about how hard THEY have it and the politics/effort of younger people is shit. Actually I've kicked a few people out in the last two and half years of the store I work at due to their hostility towards millenials. It's weird!

People always have it hard, and many of us often face difficulties that may not even show up in our everyday faces around others, so I'm not a fan of this game of comparisons. I think a fundamental difference between Boomers, Millennials, and the dissent from the former is how the illusions they believed into weren't broken, and for when they broke for Millennials, they didn't question those beliefs, but questioned those who failed to assimilate in a way that adheres to their beliefs.

For example, Boomers are far more likely to believe in easy social mobility, ethic is a marker for progression, decent jobs are available for anyone ready to work hard, and that meritocracy is what will allow you to truly shine. Every single one of these are lies, and for Millennials, the central differences is that adhering to those ideas has largely failed for the majority of that age group. You can't handwave it and refer to it as a minority, but when it's a majority, the Boomers, incorrectly of course, assume the issue is with them, not even with the small possibility that their beliefs don't work cleanly anymore. They don't even have to entertain that they were always wrong, and yet they don't even wonder if their beliefs are possible in an interconnected world where companies see human capital as something to use and commodify until they get self-learning tech to eliminate human labor wholesale from production. Where Boomers and Millennials meet, I'd argue, is failing to see that last bit as a looming reality, for it's only a "fringe" group in the latter that seem to be for ideas like Universal Basic Income (or "higher" concepts like unconditional access), the negation of benefits to employment, the dangers and diseases of jobs themselves, so on and so forth; this is a non-starter for Boomers, unless you want them to start having heart palpitations. To make my case for it, albeit anecdotally here, look at how people like Destiny respond to this examination of the problem. The issue is never seen in the way we do things and what we believe, but instead seen as the people who seemingly object to it. This seems to be the fundamental problem here, and one that Millennials will have to solve unless they're okay with living in social decay, normalizing it further with escapism and memes.

This might be a Hot Take, but the mandating of careers and jobs in a designed economy like this is fundamentally a position of violence, because of the near-innate volatility of things at play. Its zero-sum assertions make changes, often beyond the control of others, an existential threat. Instead of us trying to tell people to find the best form of security in an insecure reality (and this is before we're even talking about social concepts like society and economies!!!) we should really begin to examine the beliefs and ideas we collectively adhere to. I think this is the only way forward, because after a while rebooting the same defective thing produces fewer and fewer periods of wellbeing. We are in a designed economy and society that for nearly every decades since the 1970s, there's been some form of bailout or recession. Why is this "The Way Things Are" as if this is even remotely reasonable and sustainable?

Malakai

Oct 27, 2017
So if boomers got all the wealth (bullshit) what happens when they die? They get buried with their assets like Egyptian pharaohs or something?

These articles are dumb. Millennials compare the lives of boomers, who mostly lived in the suburbs, to living in the middle of a city where housing supply is unable to meet demand so prices skyrocket.

Compare apples to apples. You are not living your parents' lives, you are not living where they did, and you don't want to.

Want to live like a boomer? Go live where you'll have to drive for an hour to work and back from every day, houses are cheaper, that's why they bought there. And study less. And stick to a TV, BBQ, washing the car, and mowing the lawn when you have free time, while the wife spends her time doing the cooking and the laundry. Maybe a vacation for four or five days in Mexico, in an all inclusive in a place like Cancun, once every three years or so.

End of Life care cost will eat those assets alive unless the boomer have trust and estate lawyer to avoid certain costs.

Deleted member 59245

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 15, 2019
California
I've been told it's all our fault. All the bullshit decisions made when we were still pooping our pants sleeping with a pacifier, those were our fault.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I can see it all now. We'll hit recession and a Democrat will be elected president. They'll have to try and fix it with republicans doing everything they can to slow the fixes and knee-cap things. They'll bitch about the deficit they blew up and the media will again pretend they're making these shitty arguments in full faith. There will be the tiniest of bandaids and we'll slowly 'recover' again but without any systemic fixed because we'll have to fight tooth and nail for the bare minimum. Student debt won't be fixed. Healthcare will barely be touched. But things will be ok for a bit. Then we'll elect another republican because we forgot all this shit and the cycle will keep going. More money to the rich and no fixes for these issues.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Thanks, boomers

but really, considering our age/size of our cohort now in the working population, we've had shit-all say in things politically in comparison to other demos. which obviously needs to change. aoc and the other freshmen congressional members are a start. we need more representation and we need to fucking start voting in real numbers.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not if Millenials kill capitalism first.

Yeah because we have seen some fundamental change in how millennials go about business than generations beforehand that eschews capitalism or organised groups gaining significant ground with solid ideas and the implementation of AI is creating alternatives at the benefit of the masses rather than fitting in with exactly what came before. :/

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
This assumes we're safe from the net-negative situation of education and retraining. Some things to consider...

- Certain jobs likely to be safe from automation like home health aide pay like shit. Your first hint as to why there's an understaffing.
- Some of the higher end specializations in the field are at risk of automation. When stuff like Enlitic is pervasive over many more domains of health care - particularly diagnosis and screening - you're going to see more and more of the higher paying, specialized work get delegated to technology, which means fewer hours, the cutting of benefits, and the drop in wages. This is more of an immediate issue of precarity and not so much a worry about technological unemployment, which I think many incorrectly think of.
As a doctor in a severely understaffed hospital I can't wait for this automation. I'm pessimistic though about its ability to reduce my workload, most likely the higher ups will buy it, it won't work and they will slash our budget to finance said system.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm gonna push back on this bit because my dad worked in the city but lived an hour away in suburbs, and took naps on a side of the road when traffic was paralyzed. I also live an hour away and work in the city, but I actually nap on the public bus instead of drive there when traffic is paralyzed.

So at least in my experience, people lived the suburbs but worked in the city all the time. At least to me, this urge to want to live AND work in the city feels somewhat new. At one point my dad lived in out and out rural community and still drove to the city. (And I had to drive to college like a normal commuter every time I stayed there.)

If only statistics were a thing.....

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Yeah and it's going to continue to get worse and worse. What sucks is that baby boomers who are financially set are still choosing to stay in the workforce and prevent upward mobility for younger workers who need those kinds of opportunities since we aren't getting the large raises and cost of living adjustments that the older generations got.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
Inheriting Boomer wealth? Nah, that's all going to end of life care. Boomer jobs? Nah, we're eliminating those positions. Boomer homes? Nah, sorry, they reverse mortgaged those. Bank owns 'em now.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
posted this up on my fb and then got a bunch of gen-x/boomer family members, who clearly didn't read it or understand it, commenting how it isn't true and how they bootstrapped their way to success and boiiiiiiii it def touched a nerve. these motherfuckers just don't get it, as if they don't understand how starting out in the workforce in the 80s/90s was inherently different than it is today.