• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
f30.gif

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I mean the odds were strongly against him wining in the first place so...

However coronavirus and economic meltdown might be making a big difference. Plus people voted Dem bigly in 2018 and Trump has had four years to show how much of a piece of shit he is and not kept any of his major promises.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Would be great but Trump was also supposed to get his ass kicked in the 2016 election so Im not giving much thought to analysis when it comes to this particular brand of toxic waste.

Oct 29, 2017
Trump has had almost 4 years to show everyone just how much of a fuck up he is, and the entire world has been watching closely. I'm confident he will lose, but I'm also not easing up on anything because of that feeling. I'm voting 100%, and making sure each of my family and friends do so as well.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
As anyone who has ever played the XCom series can tell you, 91% isn't exactly a sure thing though.

However, I kinda remember there being some that were like 99%+ though and that was crazy. I could be remembering wrong though.

Nate Silver had Trump at 28 percent chance of winning, which isn't nothing. If you heard there is a 28 percent chance of rain, you would bring an umbrella places just in case. People thought he was crazy and got mad because of other models showing a 91-95 percent chance, but he came out looking quite good. It's also worth noting that the Comey letter and non-stop coverage threw a wrench in things in the last weeks of the election, and without it I doubt Trump would have won.

I'll say this, Trump always has a chance as long as there is an electoral college and rust belt states have gotten redder than they were 15 or 20 years ago. But I think people get that now whereas they didn't get it in 2016, and the turnout in 2018 and these primaries show that people are fired up to remove Trump. I also think that people saying "but what about 2016" when all the polls show Biden leading are wrong because every election is different and people actually know who Trump is and how he would govern this time. However, if the thinking that polls don't matter and Trump could win gets them to vote, then I'm all for it.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Maybe I've just become too cynical, but I just don't see it happening. The arrogance of last cycle lead to the absolutely most baffling political upset in a very long time.

I have no faith until Herr Cheeto is out of the building and gone.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. The new "silent majority" is the people who are sick of the reality show 24/7 news cycle and want that fucker gone at any cost.

The Trump silent majority being an actual thing in 2016 had me so fucking shook, but yea, these elections we've been winning since then does seem to indicate we have our own this time around

Gully Bully

Aug 19, 2019
User banned (1 week): Conspiracy theorizing
Again, you look at states that did have robust early voting and mail in voting measures already in place and it wasn't that bad.
Secondly, we have time to prepare for a general election unlike where in the primaries. Several states are already starting to change policies to make voting easier, I'm not sure where you're coming from with argument tbh.

Don't the mail-in ballots get "lost" in some backroom in some storage facility before magically being "found" again? And then those mail-in ballots basically never get counted? So those ballots effectively become votes that don't count?

Yeah, you can mail-in all you want. For that matter, we can go cast a real ballot all we want, too. Far as I can tell, we all still have to take it on faith that all the votes are being counted accurately. I can totally see how there are situations in which fuzzy accounting arises during elections to uphold certain narratives like, "Oh, this is an Obama state" and "This is a swing state."

Everybody hates speculation that's difficult to prove, but it's not too far from the realm of imagination that all this election chicanery amounts to the biggest social engineering hack with results already pre-determined.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Nothing David Frum says or does deserves any consideration by anybody. That he thinks this is honestly evidence of Trump's relative strength.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Don't the mail-in ballots get "lost" in some backroom in some storage facility before magically being "found" again? And then those mail-in ballots basically never get counted? So those ballots effectively become votes that don't count?

Yeah, you can mail-in all you want. For that matter, we can go cast a real ballot all we want, too. Far as I can tell, we all still have to take it on faith that all the votes are being counted accurately. I can totally see how there are situations in which fuzzy accounting arises during elections to uphold certain narratives like, "Oh, this is an Obama state" and "This is a swing state."

Everybody hates speculation that's difficult to prove, but it's not too far from the realm of imagination that all this election chicanery amounts to the biggest social engineering hack with results already pre-determined.
I'm not going to engage with this other than to say, I don't engage with conspiracy theories.
Have a good day.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Even if true, don't say it

Much like if you're making a fan game based upon a Nintendo IP

STFU

Nobody can be complacent with a "this election is already over so I don't need to vote" mindset, unless you plan to vote for Trump. If you play to vote for Trump by all means stay home and think the election is already over.
Correct, making statements like this makes people complacent and less likely for them to vote

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Every single piece of evidence supports this and then some. Republicans are getting blown out. Personally can't wait.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Here's hoping Trumps base and trolls are the only ones voting for him this time around.

2016 Trump was kind of an unknown quantity. Even with the scandals he was seen as an outsider(lol drain the swamp). Also most people just knew him as the "you're fired" guy.

This pandemic has really made him look incompetent to average folks and even some conservatives. A guy I work with(low information voter personified) told me that up until the light/disinfectant comments he hadn't seen anything to turn him off from Trump.

Then you had Hillary. She was unliked by alot of people. The only ones that seem to dislike Biden, at least enough to not vote for him, is a small number of liberals who are most likely in blue states Trump has no chance of winning anyway.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This shit is just Lucy holding the football for Charlie Brown. And every time, liberals go full steam ahead towards trying to kick the ball, and Lucy (the "resonable conservative" or whatever other talking head du jour) yanks the ball away again as we all fall on our ass once more.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
None of the polls seem to agree with a historical defeat so idk where he is getting this. Biden is up, sure, but the Senate as well? And it depends on turnout.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not worried about 2020(Biden should get this and the Senate)...im worried about 2022 and onward when progressive voters get frustrated and minimum changes are being made. I think the next time, progressive may sit out permanently...

TTG

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
As far as I can make out the people who voted for Trump are pleased, he's got the legitimacy of being the incumbent, and the Democrats have somehow nominated an even more feckless candidate. Historic winning, ok.

mo60

Oct 25, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
It's somewhat likely that trump does worse than both HW in 1992 and Carter in 1980 in terms of the popular vote margin his opponent wins by despite getting a higher share of the vote than them. There is also a chance that trump does worse than HW in 1992 in terms of the EC,

Ronin

Oct 25, 2017
It's like half the posters in this thread live in some alternate reality and are purposely ignoring the strong evidence that the writing is on the wall for Trump. 2018 and the turn out for the primary are huge flashing signs. It's all been a huge rejection of Trump and now with this pandemic and the state of the economy, it's only gotten worse for his chances.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I cannot wait to watch all of those Republican snakes in swing states trying to distance themselves from Trump when they're up for re-election in a post-Trump America. They're going to get eviscerated in debates and political advertising.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
What do they mean by historic defeat? Reagan won 49 states, is Biden projected to win all 50?
I'm guessing historic because he's the incumbent Republican? Although even then you have Bill Clinton beating George H. W. Bush 370-168 in 1992, Carter beating Ford 297-240 in 1976 and if you wanna go back that far Roosevelt beating Hoover with a massive 472-59 in 1932.

Last edited: