• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
If the Dems were to control the WH, House of Representatives and Senate all at once the first 3 things they should do is statehood for DC (possibly by changing its borders in order to exclude the White House, Capitol etc.), statehood for Puerto Rico and abolishing the electoral college.
They need a constitutional amendment to get rid of the EC

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
If the Dems were to control the WH, House of Representatives and Senate all at once the first 3 things they should do is statehood for DC (possibly by changing its borders in order to exclude the White House, Capitol etc.), statehood for Puerto Rico and abolishing the electoral college.
I agree.

Democrats have a real problem not doing the obvious things that are both morally correct and also incredibly politically advantageous.

The first two(the third is not really possible without amendment) alone would shift the balance of power in the country over night. It would force Republicans to moderate or risk permanent senate minority status.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Can't do that if the USPS is shut down
Good luck mailing your ballot in when the USPS shuts down in a few months due to lack of funding.
I'm not going to catastrophize about things that may or may not happen.
I'm going to assume that the USPS will be around in November and if they aren't, we'll have an entirely different issue on our hands beyond just voting.
What kinda process would that require?
Numbers in the House and the Senate that we will never have.
There are other ways to work around it though. The NVPIC for example is one idea gaining steam for example.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I keep seeing all these "Trump's polls are taking a downturn" articles, with like zero movement from 538's congregate average, so I'm a little confused by it all.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
I'll do my part but I'm holding my breath until I see it actually happen.

Nevermind whatever Lame Duck fuckery happens between November and January if they do lose.

UntoldDreams

May 24, 2018
GOP and Trump will wield the now rather corrupt Supreme Court as much as possible to delay, stop, corrupt, steal, lie, cheat whatever they can get away with come November.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I'm definitely voting against this monster.
Yeah. Even if it's a war zone out there by November, I will weather it to do my part. In terms of this prediction though, I hope zeal like mine will be enough but "Trump/The GOP will finally pay" is a refrain I'm getting sick of not just saying but hearing after 4 years of it not bearing out or at least not at the significant structural level it needs to. I know for certain it will be true if people do nothing though. As long as people do something, history might finally change and give reason, justice and empathy will finally win out.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
Writer of Bush axis of evil speech David Frum?
david frum is not only evil, he's dumb as shit. don't be suckers for this image rehabilitation pandering
How is David Frum even allowed to have a job.
Frum has been wrong about everything his entire career, the useless neocon idiot.

this, why the fuck should we care what this warhawk #NeverTrump piece of shit hack has to say

theoutline.com

Things are bad, and David Frum makes them worse

The ubiquitous commentator has been beating the war drum for nearly two decades.

Jun 6, 2019
People are going to be so very angry at their governors and local governments in a couple months. And Trump is going to be there, yelling "LIBERATE EVERY SWING STATE", getting that populist energy up, demolishing "the establishment" once again.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I keep seeing all these "Trump's polls are taking a downturn" articles, with like zero movement from 538's congregate average, so I'm a little confused by it all.

It's pretty soon to say anything other than he apparently thinks he might lose. He's mentioned it on TV a few times.

Neo Ankh

Oct 12, 2019
There is no way Trump, Barr, and McConnell allow this to be anywhere close to a fair election. They will do anything and everything to maintain their power.

Jun 6, 2019

The overall trend is that Trump has been ever so slightly ticking up, whatever happens. He might dip here or there for a couple days - but ultimately, his approval keeps inching up slowly.

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
What's that quote from Jesse Pinkman about how whatever you think's going to happen, the opposite will happen every time with Walter White?

My expectations are very low, but that will not prevent me from going out and voting. I'm not in any hurry to feel good about anything until we get the numbers in from this election.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's not forget they literally cheated on the last election with the help of a foreign entity. While many numbers would indicate this could happen, they won't go down without first resorting to any possible measure.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
www.vox.com

Even George H.W. Bush now denounces his son's "axis of evil" speech. And he's right.

The then-celebrated 2002 State of the Union actively harmed US foreign policy.

David Frum, the White House speechwriter credited with the "axis of evil" line, wrote in his memoir that the speech was designed to build a case for invading Iraq.

According to Frum, White House head speechwriter Michael Gerson approached him in December 2001, just three months after the September 11 terrorist attacks, to write the speech. "Here's an assignment," Gerson told him. "Can you sum up in a sentence or two our best case for going after Iraq?" According to Frum, "His request to me could not have been simpler: I was to provide a justification for war."

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember when people like David Frum were the enemy in America. Why are we platforming the Republicans of the 21st century who have been anchors to progress and perpetuated forever wars? Because their party got hijacked by people who went further in on such diseased thinking?

As for the theme of the topic, Trump and the GOP win in November by acts of interference. Attack the USPS during a pandemic, fucking with voting by mail efforts. Try and mandate people vote in person, putting the risks up for people to potentially consider as too risky. Do nothing about voting security and hope someone comes in and busts it open.

Even with Joe Biden being everything wrong about politicians encapsulated in one person, Trump is everything wrong about America in the last 40 years encapsulated in one person. 2018 showed us there's a massive anti-Trump movement in the country, and I think the issues with impeachment and the coronavirus response should be eye opening to those already not blind.

winjet81

Oct 27, 2017
Death count rises: Trump will throw Fauci under the bus and blame him 100% fir the catastrophe.

Economy crashes: Trump will blame states for not opening up soon enough.

And the voting public will eat it up.

You guys are screwed in November.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
After suffering through 4 years of him and the Republicans, if there is a god, it should end with his political run alongside the entire party.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I'll believe it when I see it. The Republicans will lie, cheat and steal and do anything to win.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
This thread is proof of concept toward the thread asking whether Trump and his administration will face justice.

No

In 20 years we will be starting threads about articles written by Mick Mulvaney or Stephen Miller after they fracture from the next Republican evolution and need a home that will launder their abhorrent history and rebrand them as grizzled political veteran insiders for a cool multi 6 figure income.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This thread is proof of concept toward the thread asking whether Trump and his administration will face justice.

No

In 20 years we will be starting threads about articles written by Mick Mulvaney or Stephen Miller after they fracture from the next Republican evolution and need a home that will launder their abhorrent history and rebrand them as grizzled political veteran insiders for a cool multi 6 figure income.

10-15 years before "we need a president like Trump".

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
Jh8azUc.jpg

Nola

Oct 29, 2017

10-15 years before "we need a president like Trump".

HAHA, unbelivable, but completely predicatable.

Yeah if I had no moral compass I would love to be a national Republican presidential administration figure.

The grift is easier and no matter how fucked up you behave during your tenure(Frum literally drafting the propaganda to get us into war, Pat Buchanan in the Reagan administration defending South African apartheid as a model for the world, or using homophobia to deflect a failing AIDS response), there is a cushy landing spot on Fox News or the opportunity to launder your reputation through a centrist news network welcoming you with open arms, all while Democratic politicans massage your legacy over time so they can look "tempered and reasonable" by evoking agreement on something you did their current opponent fails to do.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He could be right. The majority of US citizens support social distancing measures and the president told America to drink bleach. The stay-at-home protestors do not represent what most of this country is feeling by a longshot. Still, it's too early to call and voters will assume they don't need to vote if they feel like it's already decided. There's also the larger-than-normal chance the election will continue as usual even during the pandemic and those stay-at-home protestors seem way more likely to go out and vote for Trump while everyone voting against him presumably values health and safety and will stay home to not get sick.

Stay vigilant, basically.