• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Scrobbles

Oct 25, 2017
We spent 12 months investigating various lawsuits and allegations against Singer. In total, we spoke with more than 50 sources, including four men who have never before told their stories to reporters. A man we'll call Eric told us that he was 17 in 1997 when he and Singer had sex at a party at the director's house; another we'll call Andy says he was only 15 that same year, when he and Singer had sex in a Beverly Hills mansion. Both men say Singer, who was then in his early 30s, knew they were under 18, the age of consent in California. (They asked The Atlantic to conceal their identity for fear of retaliation, and because they didn't want certain details about their past made public.)

The accusations against Singer cover a spectrum. Some of the alleged victims say they were seduced by the director while underage; others say they were raped. The victims we interviewed told us these experiences left them psychologically damaged, with substance-abuse problems, depression, and PTSD.

The portrait of Singer that emerges is of a troubled man who surrounded himself with vulnerable teenage boys, many of them estranged from their families. Their accounts suggest that Singer didn't act alone; he was aided by friends and associates who brought him young men. And he was abetted, in a less direct way, by an industry in which a record of producing hits confers immense power: Many of the sources we interviewed insisted, out of fear of damaging their own career, that we withhold their name, even as they expressed dismay at the behavior they'd witnessed.

By Valdovinos's account, his experience on the Apt Pupil set was far more upsetting. After being dropped off by his father one morning, he was directed to the locker room. Shooting was about to begin. He remembers that the locker room had been divided—a screen here and lights over there. A crew member gave him a towel and told him to disrobe completely and wrap the towel around his waist. He was 13 years old. He hadn't yet had his first kiss.

"I'm hanging out," Valdovinos says. "All of a sudden, Bryan comes in. He goes, 'Hey! How are you?' Real cheerful. And I'm like, 'Hi.' I can't remember his exact words, but he was kind of just saying 'Come back here.' He kind of directs me; he kind of grabs me; and he takes us to the back area, which was kind of closed off. Like, this is the whole locker room"—Valdovinos gestures to suggest the space—"they're doing their stuff over there, and I was back here, in the towel, with no shirt and no clothes on, sitting on one of the locker-room benches. Bryan's like, 'Just hang out here. It's going to be all day. Don't worry." Singer left, and Valdovinos waited for what seemed like hours.

Eventually, he says, Singer came back and made small talk. How are you doing? Do you need anything? "Every time he had a chance—three times—he would go back there … He was always touching my chest." Finally, according to Valdovinos, Singer reached through the towel flaps and "grabbed my genitals and started masturbating it." The director also "rubbed his front part on me," Valdovinos alleges. "He did it all with this smile." Valdovinos says that Singer told him, "You're so good-looking … I really want to work with you … I have a nice Ferrari … I'm going to take care of you."

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/03/bryan-singers-accusers-speak-out/580462/

The full article is pretty long, but it deserves a full read. It's absolutely insane that he's still working right now.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Monsters in Hollywood take care of and look out for one another. Its fucking disgusting. I'm sure the law in the area turns a blind eye to some pretty heinous shit as well.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
this is the big exposé that's been in the works for a while, right? the one Singer tried to get out in front with damage control?

and christ, going through the extracts in the OP - 50 sources?! fucking hell. that valdovinos account is really upsetting. how has he managed to keep this under wraps for so long when others have finally been caught out??

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I hope that this time around all of this finally sticks to him and he finally gets what he deserves.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
this is the big exposé that's been in the works for a while, right? the one Singer tried to get out in front with damage control?

and christ, going through the extracts in the OP - 50 sources?! fucking hell. that valdovinos account is really upsetting. how has he managed to keep this under wraps for so long when others have finally been caught out??

He hasn't. Watch "An Open Secret", I believe it is free on YouTube. People just conveniently "forgot" or ignored all of these accusations, because they have been piling up for years.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
wonder why Esquire let this story go to the Atlantic instead

anyway, hope this opens the floodgates. every Hollywood power gay who was at these parties should be exposed

I've said that so many times before. Like, years ago back on gaf. He has survived so many articles like this. Even a fucking documentary.

But I do hope you are right.

there have been a couple individual allegations, which are covered here, but nothing like this

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
he was aided by friends and associates who brought him young men. And he was abetted, in a less direct way, by an industry in which a record of producing hits confers immense power

No shit. His films get nominated for an Oscar so obviously nobody cares he's a nonce and a rapist. It's not even a secret, these stories have been around for ages.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
He hasn't. Watch "An Open Secret", I believe it is free on YouTube. People just conveniently "forgot" or ignored all of these accusations, because they have been piling up for years.
ah yeah sorry, i've heard of that before. i guess i mean how has he managed to get away with this for so long when there's been so much smoke surrounding him? especially in the recent MeToo movement? this shit is grim.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
It's still his movie, no matter how much people want to spin it. You can bring in someone else to finish it and not give him the actual award. But if BR wins, he's still being rewarded, imo.

Yeah whether he officially receives an award or not doesn't matter, he is inextricably associated with the film.

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
This has been coming out for ages and ages, and it keeps getting swept under the rug everytime.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Literally everyone knew about this for years, and not in the secret hush hush way, this was everywhere even I knew it. Fuck Hollywood

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's unbelievable this scumbag has gotten away with this shit for so long, even after lawsuits surfaced, he keeps getting work in Hollywood. Hopefully this kills his career for good, at least.

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished reading the whole thing. Fuck Brian Singer.

I remember when Renfro died. He was only 25. His story is so tragic.

Also Singer having his people go after the latest accuser through IRS/immigration is some nefarious bullshit.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
He will absolutely not be there.

He was not at the Golden Globes and was ignored entirely in both acceptance speeches. And that was before the expose was released.

Well that's something.

Still weird they still gave him the job last year when MeToo was in full swing and these accusations were well documented.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to believe that Harvey Weinstein went down easier than Singer. He must have some serious dirt on the Hollywood power players.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Singer is the Trump of pedophiles. No matter how much dirt comes out about him, no matter how heinous the details, nobody holds him accountable.

He won't be in jail by the end of this year. He might have an Oscar tied to one of his films, though.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The Academy really needs to make a statement by rescinding any nominations Bohemian Rhapsody got. Singer needs to be held accountable, not rewarded.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Finally. It's been happening for decades and finally the world gets to know and the victims can hopefully work towards healing.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to believe that Harvey Weinstein went down easier than Singer. He must have some serious dirt on the Hollywood power players.

I think it's the victims.

Weinstein's victims were high profile women in the industry and he was taken down when they took their accusations public in a big way.

Singer's victims are less famous and more on the fringes. They won't get as much attention from the media.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's the victims.

Weinstein's victims were high profile women in the industry and he was taken down when they took their accusations public in a big way.

Singer's victims are less famous and more on the fringes. They won't get as much attention from the media.

That was the first thought I had as well but then remembered Kevin Spacey. Singer on his face is nowhere near Weinstein as a powerbroker. So for these stories to have been lingering around for over a decade seems odd.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That was the first thought I had as well but then remembered Kevin Spacey. Singer on his face is nowhere near Weinstein as a powerbroker. So for these stories to have been lingering around for over a decade seems odd.

Singer is still an extremely successful director with a lot of connections in the industry. He might not be a producer on Weinstein's level, but he absolutely has enough clout to tank someone's career if they don't play ball with him, which is why his techniques worked for so long.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
You know I keep saying that this asshat will get his due.... but it never happens. Is it really this time?

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017

Ah, true.

Wonder if in the case of Spacey it was the result of a snowball effect. All it took was one producer dropping him from a project for the rest to feel they could (or should) drop him.

I guess no one has incentive enough to get the ball rolling in such a public way. Could have happened before BR started production and we wouldn't need to keep being frustrated like this.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
He might as well have murdered Brad Renfro himself smh. Hope he's brought to justice but it seems unlikely.

TheTyrant

Nov 27, 2018
Singer was not nominated, nor would he get an Oscar if it wins Best Picture.
Yes, that is true but it is still in large part his movie. He was gloating on instagram when it won Golden Globes which made me sick. So screw him, feel bad for the victims. Really disliked the film as well so hope it gets absolutely nothing.