• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jikevgw

Jan 22, 2020
I just finished the game and loved it . Also the first game I played 80% on xcloud . Just brought my first house and really don't like being in my man cave hours through out my day so xcloud differently made a big difference. Relaxing on my bed playing on my iPhone was perfect

Yibby

Nov 10, 2017
That patch is still not out, awaiting microsoft certification! :)
Ahh sorry, the problem is that the Windows Store is pretty bad sometimes. I got an update for The Ascent today but only because I visited the store website (searching for updates said that everything was up to date , which clearly wasn't true). So i thought that this was the new patch, but it must have been an older one the GamePass App never downloaded.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I dont like enemies who are fixed to a
Spot and when crossing a certain boundary they run back to the spot as their health refill. I can't recall any other twin stick shooter that does that. Annoying as shit.

Yeah, the leashing is a bit annoying when you're kiting, but how should it work when you're trying to escape, and how does the game know the difference ?

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Are there any changes/fixes for the UI (on console at least) coming at all? I'm kind of enjoying this so far about an hour in, but I have so many problems with the UI (LS changing menu screens instead of screen change locked to LB/RB, moving the map around on RS because LS changes screens, microscopically tiny text everywhere, having to click on menu items to see their effects, conversation option highlighting resetting to the top of the list each time you choose one) and it's doing my fucking head in so much that I don't know if I can carry on.

Last edited:

hoserx

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
I had to rage quit last night haha. I'm about 4 hours in or so. I think I need to respec, or look into what the most beneficial spec points are.

SpoonSpatula

Oct 27, 2017
Booted up the Gamepass version on PC yesterday, and was super disappointed to discover it didn't support Crossplay with Steam. My friend and I ended up using Parsec to play the couch co-op mode on his PC.

A few things that stood out to me:
1. Would be helpful if it would give Player 1 a red laser sight, and Player 2 a blue one (If I recall, Dead Nation on the PS 3/4 did this? And Alien Nation, and Helldivers). Gets a bit chaotic when two players (or more) are shooting in the same direction, standing next to one another - you lose track of your aim with all the red laser beams.

2. Player 1 has a blue circle around him, a red name below his character, and is designated as red on the radar. Player 2 has a red cricle, blue name, is blue on the radar, etc. Why not stick to a single colour for every player? (Not sure if this happened because we were forced to play in couch co-op mode, perhaps the online co-op fixes this).

3. We encountered the "gun won't fire" bug

4. And not sure if this was just a couch co-op thing: But whenever the one player picked up a new piece of clothing/armour (and equipped it), Player 2 would also get it. This made the two models a bit same-y and difficult to distinguish between at times.

Last edited:

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I admire many parts of the game. The visuals are great. The atmosphere is cool. The game itself is fun. With that said, this is the buggiest game (GamePass PC) that I have ever played. It needed months, not weeks, more time for QA and bug squashing. So many crashes and other random bugs. I'm not playing any more until the patch comes through and I'm not all that confident the patch will fix the bugs fully.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
I really wanted to like this game but I gave up after 3 hours. Bugs after bugs, and I don't have the mental fortitude to deal with them. Bye.

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
I agree with you, a disparity of features on a game that depends on where you get it is not something that should be, I wonder what happened there..
The developers said the gamepass and steam versions are fundamentally different, don´t know why.

We played again together on Tuesday when the new patch came out but couldn´t play for an hour because for me and a friend the new patch would not auto download. We checked the xbox app, windows updates, nothing. We were on different versions and couldn´t join him or he us. Another friend on xbox had the patch.

After a bit of research we managed to get windows to download the 12 GB, we had to open the microsoft store, navigate to The Ascent in the shop and THEN it said "oh wait a sec, there is a update". Worked fine after that but that took one hour where we could have played.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
The developers said the gamepass and steam versions are fundamentally different, don´t know why.

We played again together on Tuesday when the new patch came out but couldn´t play for an hour because for me and a friend the new patch would not auto download. We checked the xbox app, windows updates, nothing. We were on different versions and couldn´t join him or he us. Another friend on xbox had the patch.

After a bit of research we managed to get windows to download the 12 GB, we had to open the microsoft store, navigate to The Ascent in the shop and THEN it said "oh wait a sec, there is a update". Worked fine after that but that took one hour where we could have played.

Where are you located? I did that exact process just now and it wouldnt update. I think that only certain regions can download the patch right now?

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the main story just now, I don't think the plot was very interesting but the combat gameplay was good.

Says a lot about this game that despite the bugs and some other headscratching decisions, that I plowed through till the end. I'd give the game a 7/10 overall but with a few tweaks and QOL changes here and there, it could be something more.

I don't care to go back and complete remaining side missions or chase achievments but it was a decent game to complete in a week.

EDIT: The maxed out Overwhelmer is ridiculous. That gun carried me until the end, not sure what other weapon could have helped me survive the final battle any better. I played solo all the way

Last edited:

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the main story just now, I don't think the plot was very interesting but the combat gameplay was good.

Says a lot about this game that despite the bugs and some other headscratching decisions, that I plowed through till the end. I'd give the game a 7/10 overall but with a few tweaks and QOL changes here and there, it could be something more.

I don't care to go back and complete remaining side missions or chase achievments but it was a decent game to complete in a week.

EDIT: The maxed out Overwhelmer is ridiculous. That gun carried me until the end, not sure what other weapon could have helped me survive the final battle any better. I played solo all the way

Yeah, Overwhelmer and Riot Gun got me through that last fight easily, didn't even have either of them maxed.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I can't believe how buggy this game is getting further in on Xbox, it's insane.

Map staying on screen
Crashing to desktop
Not being able to shoot
Freeze when in taxi
Items disappearing
Bosses not spawning
Cut scenes not triggering

Absolute shambles

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
My friends and I decided to try this last night and I'm so frustrated because we were all starting to enjoy it but holy shit this is one of the buggiest games in recent memory.

Within our two hour play session:
  • It took like 20 minutes just to get into it because one friend couldn't join another's game with no explanation as to why. We had to join the other friend's game instead.
  • One friend was unable to interact with the armor shopkeeper, so he had to leave the game and rejoin before the game let him.
  • My game randomly crashed (on PC) and I had to rejoin.
  • And, the coup de grace, when we got to the cutscene in the second level where the big boss guy breaks the wall down, we took out the first wave of enemies and then....nothing happened. And the objective said to defeat all the attackers. And reloading the save didn't work, and the same thing happened. So we had to give up bc it literally wouldn't let us progress.
Like, damn, I want to like this game, but it felt like it didn't want my friends and I to play it.

Snefer

Creative Director at Neon Giant
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Does the new patch also address the broken DX11 inplementation and the constant stuttering every time new assets are loaded in?
Unfortunately not, It's stuttering when caching missing shaders the first time, but it should be vastly improved for dx12 (without raytracing) at the very least. Working with our partners to try to figure out what the issue is.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately not, It's stuttering when caching missing shaders the first time, but it should be vastly improved for dx12 (without raytracing) at the very least. Working with our partners to try to figure out what the issue is.

Do you guys know when the patch is going to be deployed to the MS store for the Gamepass version? It still hasn't shown up for me in NYC

Munroe

May 17, 2019
Do you guys know when the patch is going to be deployed to the MS store for the Gamepass version? It still hasn't shown up for me in NYC

As it's apparently awaiting Microsoft certification still which will likely not happen over the weekend, we're probably looking at a minimum of next week

Yopis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
Played through the game with buddy on Steam. He lost whole save file after UE4 error randomly. Never got to the finish. He gave up after that we were both lvl 22

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda stuck now... just finished a mission [like, shortly after you get taken on by that corp] and it's just bugged and won't progress / take me to the next stage of the mission etc.

ah well was super fun while it lasted but i don't think i can progress in the game anymore lol.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I started an online Xbox co-op game with my son and we were having fun until he was unable to fire a weapon. With so many games dropping on GamePass, I am simply going to wait for a big bug patch.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Patch doesn't seem to have fixed much. I'm getting less stuttering with DX12/RTX on, but the framerate is much lower. Shame.

A.M.

Community Resettler
I'm kinda stuck now... just finished a mission [like, shortly after you get taken on by that corp] and it's just bugged and won't progress / take me to the next stage of the mission etc.

ah well was super fun while it lasted but i don't think i can progress in the game anymore lol.

Played through the game with buddy on Steam. He lost whole save file after UE4 error randomly. Never got to the finish. He gave up after that we were both lvl 22

Try this for any save troubles:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2562651900

If that method doesn't help, try navigating to TheAscent folder and right-clicking on the game saves folder itself and see if you can restore a previous version of the files.

Whichever does work, make sure to copy the saves folder and store it somewhere as a backup.

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Where are you located? I did that exact process just now and it wouldnt update. I think that only certain regions can download the patch right now?
Germany. I´m on version 2.0.5.0 now, think the one before was 2.0.1.0 or 2.1.0.0 without the difficult slider in settings.

Maybe a new patch is now coming and I didn´t habe the old patch yet if the new one is still being certified. If so, sorry for the confusion.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really digging this game so far, only bug I encountered so far was three spider bit bosses spawned instead of one. That was a quick death. I think I might have a bug in a steroid quest too. Really enjoy how much the augments and mods can the gameplay feel different. Just took too long for them to open up the interesting stuff.

Oct 29, 2017
Game is so fun when it hits it's groove/you get some fun augments. Unfortunately I've been running into multiple quest bugs that lead me to a dead end/no way to complete the mission. Has happened like three times so far and sometimes really kills the vibe.

Really enjoying this though so far regardless. Probably going to double dip and get the steam version since game pass PC is hot garbage.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Game is so fun when it hits it's groove/you get some fun augments. Unfortunately I've been running into multiple quest bugs that lead me to a dead end/no way to complete the mission. Has happened like three times so far and sometimes really kills the vibe.

Really enjoying this though so far regardless. Probably going to double dip and get the steam version since game pass PC is hot garbage.

Those dead ends are because you haven't unlocked the area where those quests send you yet. They just don't tell you that!

Vandal Deca

Oct 21, 2018
On my Series X today, I'm down in the deepStink to hook up to the Tokamak. My weapons were doing F all in damage to the security mechs down there, until an E77 Superior energy rifle drops--now that's more like it.

Suddenly an achievement pops, rewarding me for using the optimal weapon type for the enemy I'm fighting. Apparently only 10% of players popped this achievement. This seems crazy to me. Is it that 90% of players just haven't pushed this far into the main story yet? I feel like I've barely started.

I'm having an absolute blast with this game solo, incidentally. Yeah it's buggy and the written translation needs a proofreader something fierce, but so far nothing game-breaking has happened.

Yopis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Coast

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
gun not firing bug and side quests you just cant complete due to story gating with the stupid quest icon moving around is frustrating

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I downloaded a 12GB patch on the Windows Store version. It looks like RT is enabled, and I can choose difficulties. I haven't given it an in-depth test, but I will report back shortly.

I had to go to the Windows Store and select the game. I pressed the play button, and the game started updating. The store is strange and not intuitive at all.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
I downloaded a 12GB patch on the Windows Store version. It looks like RT is enabled, and I can choose difficulties. I haven't given it an in-depth test, but I will report back shortly.

I had to go to the Windows Store and select the game. I pressed the play button, and the game started updating. The store is strange and not intuitive at all.

Think you might've just gotten the previous patch finally? Difficulty was added a few days ago, ray tracing has been a functional toggle, but does nothing. As far as I know we're still waiting on Microsoft cert for the latest update.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Rolled credit earlier today.

I played 100% solo, died 36 times, completed all but 1 side mission, max-leveled about three guns.

I immediately wanted to hop back in, but there isn't much else to do.

Game play total was just over 17 hours.

I really, really enjoyed this game. I would definitely buy a sequel, or anything else the devs do in this vain.

Bitterman

Banned
Nov 25, 2017

is DLSS working now ?

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
gun not firing bug and side quests you just cant complete due to story gating with the stupid quest icon moving around is frustrating
I've got this gun not firing bug twice and both times I was able to get it to work by changing my guns in the load out.

I ended my session last night when I reached the pinnacle. Currently rocking Mk. 8 Overwhelmer and Eraser with the Sweet Justice Tac.
My Augs are Tentakill and Overclock. The former does a humongous amount of damage and the latter keeps me alive and quickly recharges my tac for frequent stasis application. I haven't died even once since I landed upon this build.

Last edited:

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That Spider boss is messed up. It has been pretty easy cruising so far (except for a couple of parts where I wanted to kill some higher-level enemies) and suddenly the boss shows up. The problem is that it feels like I have no space to even do something about this guy. The second he has some flames on me it feels like the fight is over.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
That Spider boss is messed up. It has been pretty easy cruising so far (except for a couple of parts where I wanted to kill some higher-level enemies) and suddenly the boss shows up. The problem is that it feels like I have no space to even do something about this guy. The second he has some flames on me it feels like the fight is over.

I found the melee and range robot buddies you can summon very broken in that fight. They distract him completely.

Icebergslim

Feb 19, 2021

This has got to be the most dumbest design I've seen in many years of gaming. Why the hell would you give me a side mission I couldn't finish if haven't proceeded far enough in the main story.

I spent probably 15-20 minutes fighting to reach a side mission only to find out I couldn't even start the damn thing. I immediately turned the game off.

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
On my Series X today, I'm down in the deepStink to hook up to the Tokamak. My weapons were doing F all in damage to the security mechs down there, until an E77 Superior energy rifle drops--now that's more like it.

Suddenly an achievement pops, rewarding me for using the optimal weapon type for the enemy I'm fighting. Apparently only 10% of players popped this achievement. This seems crazy to me. Is it that 90% of players just haven't pushed this far into the main story yet? I feel like I've barely started.

I'm having an absolute blast with this game solo, incidentally. Yeah it's buggy and the written translation needs a proofreader something fierce, but so far nothing game-breaking has happened.
Gonna be honest I pushed trough with the machinegun Dread, which I had upgraded. The enemies were a bit tough but I figured it was due to me being a level lower.
I found the melee and range robot buddies you can summon very broken in that fight. They distract him completely.
I also used the robot buddie to keep em away from me. But had to change my weapon to the RPG23 Launcher I picked up from a bounty. Wasn´t doing enough damage with the dread gun.

Raxious

Oct 27, 2017
mmm, anyone else playing on the Xbox and has the damage numbers no longer showing up? They no longer show for the damage that I do, but any environmental damage like barrel explosions do show numbers.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
I've got this gun not firing bug twice and both times I was able to get it to work by changing my guns in the load out.

I ended my session last night when I reached the pinnacle. Currently rocking Mk. 8 Overwhelmer and Eraser with the Sweet Justice Tac.
My Augs are Tentakill and Overclock. The former does a humongous amount of damage and the latter keeps me alive and quickly recharges my tac for frequent stasis application. I haven't died even once since I landed upon this build.
i got it every 30 minutes or so, its happened over a dozen times now. Oftentimes after using lockon, the guns lock up until the cool down of lock on is down and i reuse the skill, wasnt sure if it was happening with other skills