• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Don't give up. Redo your build and weapons and keep going. It's a skill check but worth getting through as the game really gets going soon after.

That's what I did, didn't help (and had two bosses to deal with instead of one, to boot).

I upgraded the SMG too far before this point and I really don't feel like scouring the confusing multilevel map for leftover chests for a couple of hours (provided I can even open them, since at level 15 I still only found ONE cyberdeck upgrade, and can't open locked chests at all) to upgrade an energy weapon so I can take on a boss that's a huge difficulty spike (and also bugs out every other attempt).

Like... I like The Ascent a lot, but not so much I'd waste several hours grinding to get over one bullshit encounter. My time is more valuable than that, especially with the backlog I have.
It was short and sweet, but now our ways need to part. Sorry it didn't work out, The Ascent.

Oct 27, 2017
That's what I did, didn't help (and had two bosses to deal with instead of one, to boot).

I upgraded the SMG too far before this point and I really don't feel like scouring the confusing multilevel map for leftover chests for a couple of hours (provided I can even open them, since at level 15 I still only found ONE cyberdeck upgrade, and can't open locked chests at all) to upgrade an energy weapon so I can take on a boss that's a huge difficulty spike (and also bugs out every other attempt).

Like... I like The Ascent a lot, but not so much I'd waste several hours grinding to get over one bullshit encounter. My time is more valuable than that, especially with the backlog I have.
It was short and sweet, but now our ways need to part. Sorry it didn't work out, The Ascent.
I guess you can knock it down to easy for one fight.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are some chests saying "Locked - Ice 1", even though I have Chests = ICE 1 on my cyberdeck. Is this a bug?

Keyframe

Oct 29, 2017
Is there a new game+ once you beat it? I missed most side missions and I am in the final boss of the main story right now but stuck there.

CrewShadow

Feb 5, 2018
How has the online co-op since the patch? Me and my buddies played the first day but there was a bunch of issues between connections or even the game just breaking totally causing us to have to restart or just give up.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
A nice QoL change would be to show the lock level before you attempt to open it and then open it when you hack it instead of making you go through the open animation again at least.

and another would be to show Y to hack instead of A to open when it's got a security level to it

it took me 10 hours to realize you needed to hack it

ilikesanta

Oct 26, 2017
Had an issue when streaming, for what reason the game doesn't grab the newest cloud save some lost some progress.

Spitz

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished all the main missions it was a hard but fun ride without the main Achievment popping. The broken Achievments are a real bummer and hopefully will get patched one day. Also the broken side mission where you have to save Ubi. There are also two Cyberdeck upgrades i can't collect cause its fully upgraded.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So wait a minute, some chests I hack with ICE 1 still don't even open, even though I can open IC2 chests now (I picked up a rare weapon from the ICE 2 chest near the Cluster 13 train stop)?

Unless that chest at Tham's Gate is tied to some sort of mission, I'm confused.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm playing this on Xbox One X, any idea if HDR support is coming any time soon for this version?

The game pops already on my CX, can't even begin to imagine how it would look with HDR. I'm shocked it's missing to be honest.

mike_j1005

Nov 19, 2017
Minnesota
Started this last night and it seems really neat so far. It might be my nystagmus, but the menu text is SO difficult to read (I sit about 8-10 feet from my tv, which is a 55" LG B9), much more so than any game I've played recently. The text under the mini map on the top right corner, especially. Going to stop playing and hope for a patch in a month or so.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I just did
acquiring the labs, so the 2nd 'appropriation'
and holy shit that was tough. Once again adjustments to gear I got through it by flipping energy (robots) and ballistic (organics) damage based on enemies.

I used Joyun Dragon and MIM Missile Augs. Had to use the bastards constantly, that's how hard the game pushes you.

God this boss spawned 4 copies first I saw it and just steam rolled me.

He does a lot of fire damage and sends the explosive spiders at you. Here's how I overcame it;

- I pumped up my fire protection first
- Equipped a decent energy weapon. They do sick damage to robotic enemies.
- Kept Mt distance from it to prevent flames, and used mono ranger as a distraction.

Got him on the 3rd attempt. Was an absolute beast to beat tho, such a silly difficulty spike. These things shouldn't be in the mainline story rather should be optional encounters.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
So wait a minute, some chests I hack with ICE 1 still don't even open, even though I can open IC2 chests now (I picked up a rare weapon from the ICE 2 chest near the Cluster 13 train stop)?

Unless that chest at Tham's Gate is tied to some sort of mission, I'm confused.

An IGN guide on cyber deck upgrades mentioned a bunch of ICE 1 chests remained locked for them when they got ICE2, and a main mission being cleared later then let them be opened.

They think it's a bug but weren't sure but…yeah try again after some more story missions :/

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
PC Game Pass version shows no available update for me (in the UK), so still no difficulty slider available. Are GP updates ever rolled out by region?

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
PC Game Pass version shows no available update for me (in the UK), so still no difficulty slider available. Are GP updates ever rolled out by region?

Open up the windows store and try to launch the game from there. The update wouldn't show for me anywhere until I did that.

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it. Game starts out very strong but rapidly loses steam towards the end. I'm also not a fan of how it increases the difficulty in the runup to the final boss, simply throwing more and more enemies at you that have to kite around the rooms. Once it stops introducing new types of mobs that's basically all it is. I didn't have too much trouble with it but it does become a bit tedious and oh boy is the last bossfight (if you can even call it that) a poor climax.

By the end I was running the MGs with homing bullets, both energy and regular. Not particularly exciting but I found it to be the most effective. As for augs overclocked is easily the best one in the game due to its healing aspect in addition to the cooldown reduction and increased energy recovery. For damage I was using the homing rockets which made the last fight manageable. I do wish some of the cooler and more creative augs were more viable but most of the others I tried didn't seem all that useful.

I do hope that it gets a sequel because there is a strong foundation here and the presentation is absolutely beyond reproach. The world is gorgeous with an incredible sense of atmosphere and the sound design as well as music fits exceptionally well. The story has a decent setup but ultimately didn't amount to much and in terms of player interactivity everything feels fairly static. With some added variation to the gameplay, better pacing and story structure this could be something truly special. Overall I enjoyed my time with it but I was definitely ready for it to end. Still, very impressive for an indie team with 11 people, one of the most beautiful games I've played.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
How are things looking since the latest patch today on the Windows version? I've been waiting for things to get a bit more ironed out first before downloading the game. Have things improved or changed for anyone?

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it. Game starts out very strong but rapidly loses steam towards the end. I'm also not a fan of how it increases the difficulty in the runup to the final boss, simply throwing more and more enemies at you that have to kite around the rooms. Once it stops introducing new types of mobs that's basically all it is. I didn't have too much trouble with it but it does become a bit tedious and oh boy is the last bossfight (if you can even call it that) a poor climax.

By the end I was running the MGs with homing bullets, both energy and regular. Not particularly exciting but I found it to be the most effective. As for augs overclocked is easily the best one in the game due to its healing aspect in addition to the cooldown reduction and increased energy recovery. For damage I was using the homing rockets which made the last fight manageable. I do wish some of the cooler and more creative augs were more viable but most of the others I tried didn't seem all that useful.

I do hope that it gets a sequel because there is a strong foundation here and the presentation is absolutely beyond reproach. The world is gorgeous with an incredible sense of atmosphere and the sound design as well as music fits exceptionally well. The story has a decent setup but ultimately didn't amount to much and in terms of player interactivity everything feels fairly static. With some added variation to the gameplay, better pacing and story structure this could be something truly special. Overall I enjoyed my time with it but I was definitely ready for it to end. Still, very impressive for an indie team with 11 people, one of the most beautiful games I've played.

Excellent summary and echoes my thoughts exactly. Had a lot of fun at the beginning but was tepid by the last act. I would love to see more - and more content in every respect including greater differentiation of builds. Unfortunately, after the credits there was just nothing there to make me give the game any more real thought.

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
Steam version running okay?
I've heard things that make me pause
In my entire game time I had one crash and a few bugs. One notable issue was no/muted audio during cutscenes. Different output options didn't fix it for me so it was pretty disappointing.

Game ran really well. I was using a wide-screen fix for a 32:9 set up and backed the FOV out a bit to give me a lot of screen real-estate. After tweaking the settings it ran very smooth on my build (2070 super).

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I'm playing this on Xbox One X, any idea if HDR support is coming any time soon for this version?

The game pops already on my CX, can't even begin to imagine how it would look with HDR. I'm shocked it's missing to be honest.

Its the same for me on the Series X + CX. People have been ignoring me here but with your confirmation I guess the game just doesn't gave HDR.

At least not yet. Will wait until further patches before I keep playing.

Not a Horse

Aug 15, 2018
I can't get through the final mission without my gun disappearing and being stuck not being able to fight.

Edit: finally got it, but had to finish the last wave with only augs.

Last edited:

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game tonight and it was a real push to get to the end, because unfortunately I stopped really having fun. The presentation never faltered, but the gameplay did. Fights never really seemed to differ from beginning to end, and I feel I was using the same weapons and armor throughout most of the game. Armor of higher tiers seemed to have better stats in all categories and I found the highest tier early on. Blasted through all enemies with the minigun using the digital damage conversion on mechanicals. Took me 13 hours skipping many sidequests by the end since I wanted to be done.

The last boss is pure bullshit, I'm sorry. I heard of difficulty spikes going in but this is the only really stupid one I noticed, and it was really no fun at all, despite trying various augment/weapon/armor combos. I had to turn the game difficulty down for the one and only time. Its nothing like anything else in the game. Am I remembering wrong or did Borderlands 1 have a very similar issue when it first released? Like almost exactly the same?

This was a very decent game overall and I am in awe at the level of presentation of the cyberpunk setting in isometric, but the gameplay never really seemed to evolve past the first couple hours.

Also Noghead was great.

Last edited:

asmodejan

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game yesterday on PC (Game Pass), right before the 12 GB update hit. Despite the myriads of scripting bugs and technical hiccups, I enjoyed the game overall. First of all the game is gorgeous, full of detail and little flourishes. The art team did a fantastic job. Combined with the excellent music and sound effects, the game creates a scenery easy to get lost in. From a technical standpoint, the Windows Store version of the game is a little bit of a mess right now. Constant shader compilation hitches for the first few hours, missing features compared to the Steam version and features that are supported not working properly.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed the moment to moment gameplay in The Ascent, because usually I'm not the biggest fan of twin-stick shooters. The shooting felt good and the simple cover mechanics combined with the ability to aim low or high worked great. I died several times during my playthrough, especially during my early levels, but funny enough, I never died during any of the "survive for x seconds" encounters. For most of the game I stuck with the RPG23 Launcher as my primary and the HMG42 Dominator as my backup weapon. I would usually pop Biometric Timestamp right before an encounter and then go to town with the RPG23.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An IGN guide on cyber deck upgrades mentioned a bunch of ICE 1 chests remained locked for them when they got ICE2, and a main mission being cleared later then let them be opened.

They think it's a bug but weren't sure but…yeah try again after some more story missions :/
It's really annoying, found another ICE 1 chest I couldn't open during main quest 7 and I'm unlikely to return back there. I just don't get it

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone actually keep the skins?
The amount of bugs in this game is unbelievable
Disappearing cosmetics
Multiple boss spawn
Weapons not firing
Weapons firing without using ammo
Environment not loading and getting stuck in it when it does
Quest mobs not spawning
Hacking not working when it should

Most of it can be solved by reloading but damn.
Its incrrdible to have so many bugs in a game that looks and feels so polished.

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
Yeah Q&A probably wasnt very good. Bugs galore.
IVve been VERY lucky regarding bugs (SeriesX) , have only noticed the endless bartender one in coop, but a lot of friends are getting hammered.

Anyway, game's atmosphere is incredible. I can't comprehend the work behind the scenery, the verticality of the world, the background animations, the camera sweeps, drones and cars flying around, all the little details you can easily miss if you're not paying attention like the whispers, the small conversations, the ads... The amount of work spent there really payed off.

I really hope there's a sequel planned because the world building is maybe one of the best I've ever seen on the cyberpunk genre. And the isometric camera really allows you to keep an eye on all the world even while fighting. I love it.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
So the Dealbreaker combined with Overclock aug and the module that makes you regen health based on damage dealt make you nearly invincible. I really wish I had discovered this before some of those ending fights. Basically overlock makes your energy fly back up through the roof and with the passive effect of returning a portion of damage dealt, my health keeps regenerating while I'm standing still shooting enemies. I was walking around the Scrapland having fun last night.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Been trying to get into this game a couple of times now. Maybe it's my PC but the game pacing seems off, like the background is moving slower than my character?

The other is I'm dying right away because the gun feels weak on my very first couple of encounters, like it takes many shots and I can't even get anywhere. I must be doing something wrong.

funo

Oct 27, 2017
The other is I'm dying right away because the gun feels weak on my very first couple of encounters, like it takes many shots and I can't even get anywhere. I must be doing something wrong.
You're most likely trying to use the right mouse button to "aim" for the enemies, which works a bit different in this game. You just need to shoot them with LMB while NOT pressing RMB because otherwise you'll aim too high and miss the enemies.
RMB ist just used to aim while being in cover or while aiming 1 level above your current level.

Arrahant

Nov 6, 2017
NL
Alright, I'm done. The spider boss is a definite difficulty spike compared to everything up to that point, I'm not having fun bashing my head against it, especially when it bugs out and there's two of them.

Rage quit and uninstalled. Still, it's a Gamepass game, I got some hours of solid fun out of it, and the visuals were pretty. No regrets.

Had the same thing initially, got 3 spider bosses in total lol. On the 2nd try I just got the one though. Could burn it down quickly using abilities, energy nade and the first energy rifle.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
You're most likely trying to use the right mouse button to "aim" for the enemies, which works a bit different in this game. You just need to shoot them with LMB while NOT pressing RMB because otherwise you'll aim too high and miss the enemies.
RMB ist just used to aim while being in cover or while aiming 1 level above your current level.
Ok thanks, I'll try again.