• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

G Status Ray

Oct 31, 2017
Ugh. That's how this game makes me feel.
I really want to love it and I've put a lot of time in it but last night might have been the point where I put it down.

I'm pretty far in so I don't want to spoil anything, but I was at a boss fight and I kept getting a glitch where my gun would simply stop shooting. After trying multiple times and closing out the game and coming back I finally beat it… only to have the radio dialogue after the flight glitch preventing me from gaining the next step in the main quest. Combine all of that with the terrible map, back tracking and ridiculous enemy spawns, I just don't feel like pushing through.

Which is sad because what's here could really be special. I love the idea of like an elevated twin stick shooter. And this game really almost nails it. The loot, the gunplay, the world, all fantastic. Mission structure, map, glitches… not so much. I really hope it does well enough to get a sequel because I could see it being truly great.

The GOAT

Nov 2, 2017
I can't survive the data vault onslaught. Got down to 40ish seconds, but can't hold on. I even backed out of the mission and went and upgraded everything I could. Having the rocket lock on mod helped crowd control a bit and Mono Ranger, but I'm at the mercy of cooldowns and energy usage. My armor is highly resistant to energy weapons, and I'm using the energy based weapon against the enemies, but I can't kill them faster than they spawn.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
what i meant is that the boss started being level 12 and after a bunch of brutal defeats it ended up being level 10. im on xbox.
I feel like this may just be random/a bug? I was getting a level 12 boss and kept dying to try to trigger another hilarious bug where 11 of the bosses spawned at once and once it spawned and was level 8 but after I died to it again it was back to 12 so... idk 🤷‍♂️

Pitta

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Regarding the 3 minutes mission (it's among my absolute favorite so far).
This was my tactic at level 14.

I did it at level 14 after several glorious attempts crouching in the lower left part of the map behind a cover and energized everyone coming firing behind the cover, moving position when enemies came from a different entries. Used slam when the enemies sort of teleport behind you, and retired down in the stairs behind firing from the bottom with the left trigger when they come down. Used once sweet justice but I suck using tactical.

Mar 19, 2018
I want to really like this game, but I refunded it after 100 minutes or so. The hitching & frame drops were just way too much to handle for me. If it ever gets fixed I'll definitely come back to it at some point.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I can't survive the data vault onslaught. Got down to 40ish seconds, but can't hold on. I even backed out of the mission and went and upgraded everything I could. Having the rocket lock on mod helped crowd control a bit and Mono Ranger, but I'm at the mercy of cooldowns and energy usage. My armor is highly resistant to energy weapons, and I'm using the energy based weapon against the enemies, but I can't kill them faster than they spawn.

Kite everything. Just keep moving. The game cheats a bit since enemies can shoot you from offscreen when you can't see them. I used an upgraded energy burst rifle that has homing (EBR Enforcer). Similar to the ones the robot enemies use.

The GOAT

Nov 2, 2017
Kite everything. Just keep moving. The game cheats a bit since enemies can shoot you from offscreen when you can't see them. I used an upgraded energy burst rifle that has homing (EBR Enforcer). Similar to the ones the robot enemies use.

I haven't seen an EBF Enforcer drop yet. I have the Pacifier and the E77 Superior is my main (upgraded to MK 4) but they are less than capable for the amount of enemies, as they sponge a full clip each.

I've tried kiting, using the dash mod, popping off shots and augs to lessen their numbers, but I get surrounded and destroyed. I try to prioritize killing the guys with guns first. Then the named dude joins the fight and he is an absolute tank.

I keep playing games that frustrate the living shit out of me, hah. Returnal, and now this. At least Returnal normally felt like my own fault, and I had made a critical mistake. The Ascent is frustrating in a lot of design and encounter scenarios. Having to run back to the Warrens to upgrade mid-mission feels clunky at best. I'm happy this is on Game pass. If I end up dropping it, I'm not losing anything.

Blu10

Oct 27, 2017
Use the taxi to get around. You should have plenty of credits. I never buy anything, although I do wish the stores sold upgrade mats.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Is this game fully co-op where me and my friend can join together in a lobby, and then start the game from the beginning in co-op and both be progressing through the story?

Or is it one of those "sort of" co-op games where my friend drops into "my" game to help me progress through the story, but then he's not progressing?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I do wish the taxi worked between zones.

One of the other things I wish the game had was weapon mods that change behaviour of the weapon. I do understand that the game has tons of different weapons that do indeed have different behaviour, so there's lots of variety there. But due to the upgrade cost you only ever upgrade some of them and basically ignore the rest. That Burst Energy Rifle is so much better than anything else in the game that you automatically make it your primary. So I think there was some room for condensing some of the weapons into mods for the same weapon. Could also work well with the elemental damage that some of the weapons have.

Also what is that second bar that fills up when you shoot an enemy? At first I thought it was armour, that got charged up when using energy weapons thereby giving diminishing returns towards organic targets. But I saw it happen on both Robotic enemies and Organics, and saw it show up for Ballistic weapons too.

Oct 26, 2017
Game needs a quick travel to start of dungeon.

I'm just so frustrated with the difficulty. Game seems to have just one setting mainly to work around 4 players playing but not solo. That mecha spider boss is unreal and I have no way forward in spite of my build and heavy lvl electric weapons

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I think the key to beat the mecha spider boss is just shoot as far from it as you can. That worked for me.

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Tried local Multiplayer with the gamepass version today but it keeps on crashing after trying to create a new game. Anyone else with that problem?

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Ah this game can be difficult at times. I think I'm kind of tired of it already :/. Wanted to really enjoy it

Blu10

Oct 27, 2017
Ha… just fought a flying boss who went for 100% health to dead in one Ironman chest beam.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
It's like everything needs to be a GAAS these days.
Right?! It's an awful trend. I HATE the concept of the "end game". It's just designed to pump metrics higher so that games looks more successful than they actually are. Don't get why players like grinding the same few levels over and over for some average loot just so some executive can have his bonus for "player engagement".

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
I'm really having lots of fun with my mates playing this. Unfortunately the stutters and the heavy fps drop are very annoying

Hopefully they patch it soon. Other than that, everything is simply magnificent

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit the difficulty ramps up in the final fight. Definitely hard to solo.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Feedback on 5-8 hours played:

Regardless of who started it, calling this game a "Diablo-meets-Cyberpunk" is going to lead to disappointment. It's not to say there isn't a good game here, but there isn't much Diablo to be found. There's some loot piñata effects, but the contents are almost exclusively uCreds, health and energy packs. When items do drop, they're typically a duplicate of something you already have or something that the shop sells, and as far as I can tell, there's no variance in the drop quality. When I reframed the game as something like 30% WRPG, 70% twin-stick shooter, I started to enjoy things quite a bit more.

The story so far has been interesting, but I've noticed a pattern of trying to understand an NPC, mostly failing, then being given the opportunity to work my way through five or so follow up questions to unpack what they just said. There's quite a few Veles/Ascent Group specific colloquialisms, often dropped in very quick succession making the dialogue pretty hard to consume. While I've taken some enjoyment working through codex entries to understand things, I could see it pushing some players away.

On the world - as beautiful as the game can be, navigation of Cluster 13 (and many other areas) isn't easy. It feels large and labyrinthine, and I ended up a bit lost every time I wanted to find a specific vendor. I'm getting better at opening my map, and I'm thankful for the red guiding light, but I'd have preferred if the level layout stuck better with a passive investment. It could be something to do with the verticality of the zone, cause I much prefer navigating the next vendor hub which I think is just after you arrive at high street?

Some other technical issues and oddities
  • I'm playing on XSX and it's crashed on me at least 6 times. Nothing of note happening in game when it crashes. Once was just after loading the game.
  • I've also run into a few too many dead-end side quests.
    • A level 2 sidequest that led to the elevator to Arcology: highStreet that I couldn't access until later on.
    • A similar sidequest later on leading to Stimtown(?) that I still can't access.
    • And lastly, a sidequest marked as Level 13 (or 14?) that throws level 16-18(+) enemies at me in waves. They were initially almost one-shotting me, but I pushed through, acquired new armor drops from them, and made it to the destination. However, I was unable to complete it due to no NPC existing at the marked location. I don't have the game open, but I was supposed to be delivering a Bag to somebody whose name started it a "T". Anyway, they weren't there. I'm going to assume that similar to all of the above issues, the game is expecting me to do the quest later.
  • When trying to create a second character and play through the intro (just past getting out of deepStink) for my wife so we could start local coop, the game didn't save my progress after quitting out. I made sure to check the time since last auto-save upon quitting just after arriving at the Warrens, which showed 5 seconds. I stubbornly replayed it all again
  • Lastly - I said it earlier, but I cannot stand the NPC-speak. Apologies if there is an actual language behind it, but it sounds like it's been spliced, distorted, condensed so much that I legitimately cannot focus on reading anything until they finish talking.

I just want to say that despite all the criticism above, I really do enjoy what's been created here. Looking forward to playing more soon

It's like everything needs to be a GAAS these days.

I know what you're saying, but I do think that this game would benefit from leaning into the Diablo model a bit more. If they get the opportunity to build out a sequel (fingers crossed), having difficulty tiers, a large varying loot table, and being able to pick various major quests or chunks of game to replay would be a blast. They don't have to create an endless game, manage 'seasons' etc. Just build in a way for people that love their character to keep playing and become absurdly and comically overpowered.

If the developers don't want that from this franchise, that's fine. But I personally think it would be great.

Last edited:

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I was having serious trouble with the "resist 3 minutes" mission till I did the following to kinda cheese it:

First of all, I was lucky enough to have the big sniper robot (the one that turns invisible) weapon dropped after killing it in one of my attempts. I equipped this rifle, and after starting the timer I positioned myself in the upper right part of the map, just at the end of the little stairs in the little segment that ends with a desk. From there, you can kill all the enemies that come for you from distance (like shooting at their feet cause you are literally below them) aiming with LT pressed, and also their bullets can´t reach you because they are above you.

I hope I explained myself well and this helps someone.

After said mission, framerate started to dip like crazy and ended up in like mid 10-s or so till the game completely froze and had to close it manually. I am playing on Xbox Series S.

I honestly don´t know what´s the pressure to hurry and release game in a state like this, especially when we aren´t talking about a superbig publisher or something like that.

I may finish it this time around: the aesthetic (visuals and sound design also) and gunplay are totally carrying the experience for me. I dont give a monkeys about the story and the bugs are plenty, but the vibes are simply too good. I may even revisit it in the future, after some patches, that hopefully touch not only on technical matters, but also on design ones, like the disastrous maps.

I know devs are reading this thread so I will probably share my short review once I am done with it. I would actually like The Ascent 2.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I haven't seen an EBF Enforcer drop yet. I have the Pacifier and the E77 Superior is my main (upgraded to MK 4) but they are less than capable for the amount of enemies, as they sponge a full clip each.

I've tried kiting, using the dash mod, popping off shots and augs to lessen their numbers, but I get surrounded and destroyed. I try to prioritize killing the guys with guns first. Then the named dude joins the fight and he is an absolute tank.

I keep playing games that frustrate the living shit out of me, hah. Returnal, and now this. At least Returnal normally felt like my own fault, and I had made a critical mistake. The Ascent is frustrating in a lot of design and encounter scenarios. Having to run back to the Warrens to upgrade mid-mission feels clunky at best. I'm happy this is on Game pass. If I end up dropping it, I'm not losing anything.
My post above may be helpful for you.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody else is having issues with the quest markers sometimes not showing up on the map? I can't figure out why but sometimes there's just no green icon on the map. The Up on Dpad thing still works fine but no icon...

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
I know what you're saying, but I do think that this game would benefit from leaning into the Diablo model a bit more. If they get the opportunity to build out a sequel (fingers crossed), having difficulty tiers, a large varying loot table, and being able to pick various major quests or chunks of game to replay would be a blast. They don't have to create an endless game, manage 'seasons' etc. Just build in a way for people that love their character to keep playing and become absurdly and comically overpowered.

If the developers don't want that from this franchise, that's fine. But I personally think it would be great.

I think you make a good argument for sure. The game doesn't need to be a GAAS to have something like what you're saying. Based on what I've played I think a NG+ or maybe some "strike" missions would be reasonable.

But on the other hand, I love a game that is a simple affair such as this; reminds me of playing Dead Nation or other top down shooters of the same genre.

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
i really like the game but it gets frustating at times when they throw waves and waves of enemies at you that dont drop medkits at death and you die until the game remembers that sometimes they should drop some. feels that it requires more luck than skill at times.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
I think the key to beat the mecha spider boss is just shoot as far from it as you can. That worked for me.
The key is to upgrade your weapon to make more damage. I did that and I killed it immediately.

Btw, I just got the dash module, and it makes the game even better as dashing >>> rolling.

criesofthepast

Crash Test Dummy
Oct 25, 2017
Change your gear to have fire protection and that fight is a walk in the park.
I did and 5 mins after I posted I gave it 2 more tries and beat the damn thing. Lol And I got my second augment and the dash module so will keep going until I hit a wall again because I actually do like the game.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Just found out about the Gamepass version on PC missing both DLSS and the Difficulty Settings from the Steam version.... Jesus....ugh

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, time to find some anti-fire gear. Getting my ass thoroughly trounced by that damn mecha-spider.

I don't think the game's messaging around elemental things is all that clear. For instance I saw a flame icon, assumed it was fire damage of some kind, but have yet to work out the purpose. I'm not as far as you all I suppose

Maybe that's on me glossing over something - I'll have to dig in a bit more later.

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
Just lost my save and character joining my friends coop. Was really enjoying it single player. Might be done now…

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
Some really bizarre bugs in this game, like 2/3/4 bosses of the same model spawning when there should only be one, items disappearing, co-op issues, etc.

Other than that, this game is so fucking good and I'm not typically a fan of I guess 'twin-stick shooters'. Neon Giant did an incredible job with this game.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Ok, time to find some anti-fire gear. Getting my ass thoroughly trounced by that damn mecha-spider.

I don't know if you can go there before or after the boss, but if you can go to Highstreet head over to the Umbilical and buy the Disintegrator it's a unique weapon and the best weapon to use against machine enemies. If you can't head there put Neutron Beam into your aug slot and do a crap ton of damage to the boss, just make sure to clear out the little spiders he spawns first those are always top priority kill.

Apr 21, 2018
Some really bizarre bugs in this game, like 2/3/4 bosses of the same model spawning when there should only be one, items disappearing, co-op issues, etc.

Other than that, this game is so fucking good and I'm not typically a fan of I guess 'twin-stick shooters'. Neon Giant did an incredible job with this game.

I paused it/went to a Home Screen during a boss and then the boss disappeared.

I also got trapped in an area where I was underlevelled and had no money for a taxi, and had to run/roll to safety, dying over and over.

But I love it so far. The graphics, world, detail— just staggering.

I really hope they iron out the issues.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
That final battle, god damn. I was feeling pretty powerful too up until that point. I was surprised it only took me 3 tries, thought for sure i'd be at it longer.