• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I was inspired by the new Samsung Flip.
To revisit one of my all time favorite phones. + Still learning unreal engine.

www.youtube.com

Samsung Flip wip

1080tiUnreal Engine 4.https://commedieu.artstation.com/projects/oA0kXm3-5x 3840x2160 renders a minute.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
I made some doofy little comics to express my frustration with myself and my art in a bit of a comedic way.

I wouldn't call these the "best" I can do by any stretch, but I'm afraid it says something that I'm happier with these than with projects that I put a lot more time, effort, and skill into.

Just kinda wanted to share them with people here who might be able to empathize with these feelings.

dcr4hr2-e9988ef9-82d8-4426-b1d1-00c4e66b9f85.png

ddas4j5-761136fb-e72f-4f0f-a872-59818de9ade2.png

ddtsv9o-a71fe8d1-28a4-4305-9b84-de65db7aca84.png

Blanderson is clearly my greatest work.

Kazoku_

Oct 27, 2017
I made some doofy little comics to express my frustration with myself and my art in a bit of a comedic way.

I wouldn't call these the "best" I can do by any stretch, but I'm afraid it says something that I'm happier with these than with projects that I put a lot more time, effort, and skill into.

Just kinda wanted to share them with people here who might be able to empathize with these feelings.

Ok, who are you and how long have you been spying on me?
These are really good

Dever

Dec 25, 2019

Lol I can definitely relate. I get compliments on my artwork and it's pretty decent imo, but then you go on Artstation or something and my brain just doesn't comprehend how some people make such complicated and realistic works. Also, how do people come up with designs and stuff.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
Lol I can definitely relate. I get compliments on my artwork and it's pretty decent imo, but then you go on Artstation or something and my brain just doesn't comprehend how some people make such complicated and realistic works. Also, how do people come up with designs and stuff.

Yes, exactly! I don't know what to say to compliments from people who don't really draw, because yeah, it's better than that of someone who doesn't draw, but then I look at actual artists and just feel like a kid holding a crayon.

MasaDrew

Jun 20, 2019

I'm having issues with brushes in Procreate. I really just want a solid square or triangle brush so I can improve my sculpting/hard edges/blending.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
More hair practice today.

TvSoERM.jpg

Drawn entirely from imagination, and while not bad at all, it also felt like something was off in my first attempt (on the left). The more I drew, the more I felt like I was drawing the protagonist from SMTIV: Apocalypse, and one look at their official art was enough to realize what was wrong: the hair was missing a point of origin; it didn't flow. Which led to the version on the right, in which I also further enlarged a couple of locks to make it pop more. The one in front of the face now conveniently covers the eye, which may make the face look more dynamic? Who knows.

Have been reading a lot of tutorials and guides the last couple of days and picked up a myriad of great pointers. Reading a guide on contrapposto in particular caused a massive "I'm so dumb" moment, as I actually learned about the term years ago in art history class, yet it never occurred to me to apply it to my own drawings.

*snip*
Yeah I know that feel. Cute comics, though. The first one in particular reminds me of Awkward Zombie's 24-hour comics.

robertredfordnod.gif

Amazing art. Something about the maskless version looks off though, but maybe that's simply because you never see her without it in-game.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017

Literally came into this thread to complain about the emotion relayed by the first one. Shit just feels hopeless some days. I like to think I'm decent, but then you see some of the stuff on Artstation or wherever and it's like how does anyone even get there.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
Yeah I know that feel. Cute comics, though. The first one in particular reminds me of Awkward Zombie's 24-hour comics.

I suppose until you master it, it's a pretty universal feeling, but it's hard to explain to people who don't draw themselves. It's nice talking to other people who get it.

Off/On Topic: I love the look of your lineart. I know it's just practice, but I love the smooth calligraphic feel (and I love seeing in-progress work anyway).

Literally came into this thread to complain about the emotion relayed by the first one. Shit just feels hopeless some days. I like to think I'm decent, but then you see some of the stuff on Artstation or wherever and it's like how does anyone even get there.

Seriously. It's frustrating because you keep getting the refrain of "hard work and passion will get you where you want to go" but it's genuinely not enough. I spend almost all of my free time practicing and learning and yet I still feel like I'm just spinning my wheels. And hearing friends who don't draw telling me how good my art is isn't as uplifting as they think (though I do appreciate their effort).
If it makes you feel better, you're not alone. Solidarity fist-bump!

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
I suppose until you master it, it's a pretty universal feeling, but it's hard to explain to people who don't draw themselves. It's nice talking to other people who get it.

Off/On Topic: I love the look of your lineart. I know it's just practice, but I love the smooth calligraphic feel (and I love seeing in-progress work anyway).

Seriously. It's frustrating because you keep getting the refrain of "hard work and passion will get you where you want to go" but it's genuinely not enough. I spend almost all of my free time practicing and learning and yet I still feel like I'm just spinning my wheels. And hearing friends who don't draw telling me how good my art is isn't as uplifting as they think (though I do appreciate their effort).
If it makes you feel better, you're not alone. Solidarity fist-bump!
Sometimes it's frustrating, in fact many times it is, but that is the problem with social media, you are looking at somebody's final result, never the struggles.
The hard work and practice is true, but people also do not know how you practice, there is such thing as efficient practice and bad practice.
And as your free time practicing, it's just like that, while not diminishing your effort, perhaps it is just not enough accumulated time to get those results. If you think you have accumulated enough time to get a particular result but didn't, then you have to evaluate what and how you practice.

Some people have innate talent, plenty is just there through endless grinding. Kim Jung Gi is the latter, his drawing isn't super special, but if you see the volume of his drawings, maybe in one year he drew more than people in 3 years.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I tried to draw faces from more extreme angles.

Guides: "Just draw a circle here, a triangle there, connect them and boom, there's your face. Literally child's play!"
Me, drawing it:

giphy.gif

I don't know if I'm overthinking things again or maybe my spatial awareness is just... kinda shit?

Thanks! I feel like I hit my stride as far as brushes and draw technique are concerned. This is exactly the kind of sketchy, messy style that I love to see in art, and a big improvement over the super smooth perfect lines I forced myself to draw before.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Sometimes it's frustrating, in fact many times it is, but that is the problem with social media, you are looking at somebody's final result, never the struggles.
The hard work and practice is true, but people also do not know how you practice, there is such thing as efficient practice and bad practice.
And as your free time practicing, it's just like that, while not diminishing your effort, perhaps it is just not enough accumulated time to get those results. If you think you have accumulated enough time to get a particular result but didn't, then you have to evaluate what and how you practice.

Some people have innate talent, plenty is just there through endless grinding. Kim Jung Gi is the latter, his drawing isn't super special, but if you see the volume of his drawings, maybe in one year he drew more than people in 3 years.
There is definitely truth in good practice and bad "practice." The whole "10,000 hours to mastery" bit is only true if those hours are spent actively deconstructing your own work and identifying your flaws. Can't fix issues if you don't know why they're happening.

Just gotta keep grinding away at it. Sigh.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
There is definitely truth in good practice and bad "practice." The whole "10,000 hours to mastery" bit is only true if those hours are spent actively deconstructing your own work and identifying your flaws. Can't fix issues if you don't know why they're happening.

Just gotta keep grinding away at it. Sigh.
yeah, in fact the good news is, I don't think you even need to hit approx 10'000 hours, you just have to be consistent, and be drawing hard within a certain time frame.
Think of it like this, it's like building muscles, you have to go to the gym, give it a good 1.5 hours, min 3x a week, and eat well. No matter who you are and your metabolism, you will build muscle and burn fats that way.
You can't go gym once a week for 10 years, no muscles, you can't just put 5hrs a day without rest for 7 days a week either, no muscles for that too. If you can FOCUS 2 hours just for drawing everyday, even if it's just one thing, you will improve definitely.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018

As usual, chara designs for projects that will never come to life unless I win 100k euros and quit my day job !

Kazoku_

Oct 27, 2017
I'm working on the next piece for my gallery but I can't come up with the motivation to conceptualize something proper. Anybody else feeling a lack of creative motivation?

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Practicing faces from photos during lunch hours. I can't get people to actually look like themselves seemingly ever; their facial proportions are always off in some way that makes them look like a sibling or something instead, and I hate it, so I'm trying to do this relatively frequently at work to slowly fix it.

The top two are from QuickPoses and the bottom four are from Line of Action. Dude on the top right is a wreck compared to everyone else, lol.

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
Screen_Shot_2020-08-28_at_3.50.11_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2020-08-23_at_10.00.19_PM.png

Been learning to draw the past week or so. Ever since i got my note 20 ultra I've been learning. I always had trouble in art classes as a kid. So I never actually learned how to draw and swore off art for the longest time. Now I'm 24 and I don't think I'm doing tooooo bad. I got a lot and I mean A LOT to learn. But so far I'm just proud of being able to actually draw something and have it look like what it's supposed to.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Screen_Shot_2020-08-28_at_3.50.11_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2020-08-23_at_10.00.19_PM.png

Been learning to draw the past week or so. Ever since i got my note 20 ultra I've been learning. I always had trouble in art classes as a kid. So I never actually learned how to draw and swore off art for the longest time. Now I'm 24 and I don't think I'm doing tooooo bad. I got a lot and I mean A LOT to learn. But so far I'm just proud of being able to actually draw something and have it look like what it's supposed to.
Thats excellent! For now try to focus on whats fun for you and learning basic drawing techniques like drawing circles (I like to draw them in one stroke, then draw smaller circles inside the previous circle without going over the edges), corsshatching, etc

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
hello art people

i was wondering if anyone here has used a printing service to sell, well, prints, of their art. is there anyone that stands out in terms of reliability, quality, price etc? in particular anyone europe or even uk based that people can recommend?

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm learning how to do the digital drawing! And really this is my first serious attempt at drawing since... ever? Some friends had shown off some pieces they'd done with Procreate on their iPads with a Apple Pen, and I was like "hey, I have an iPad, and could get a Pen, and I desperately need stuff to do" so here we are! I think the thing that most helped vs any previous dabbles into art was truly understanding that looking at reference pics and other art is absolutely the thing to do. I had the mistaken impression that because I could not draw something that looked not terrible just right from my brain I just wasn't programmed to be an artist. So now that I've got that horribly wrong misconception out of the way, hey been learning stuff the last few weeks!

So yeah! Here is a pretty lady I drew. This was my first try at doing coloring so that most of my line art didn't show in the end. Really liked how it turned out, and the process was pretty fun too, so I might trend more in this style for a bit. I kind of went overboard on the lighting, but that's okay! Learning!

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
A long time since I have made an animated gif!
Just found out assumed gender of my baby today, so I thought this would be fun for family to click on.

This took me like 4 hours because I don't know how photoshop works lol

31082020_reveal.gif

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
No idea, tbh, I havent done much comparing since I typically print my own work at a local print shop

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Did a fun DTIYS on Instagram, and learned a ton about shading/blending on skin while working on it!

MasaDrew

Jun 20, 2019

A quick sketch from after work yesterday.

I've been using Procreate for a while now, is ClipStudio worth getting into?

Kirie

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey I'm really glad I found this thread! I started learning how to draw on July 19th, as something to do during the pandemic and to help keep my extreme anxiety lessened which it has been really helping with :)

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
It's been a while. Street Fighter makes for good perspective and dynamic poses practice

Son7xPn.jpg

The hand and arm in particular came out a lot better than I thought they would. You'd think it would be easier, not having to draw stuff because it's obscured by the parts in front of it. But it can be a hell of a mindfuck when you actually try to draw it.

Also I can't help but feel her foot shouldn't twist quite like that. But I think this is one of those instances that will look awkward no matter how you draw it.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
More pose practice.

7xZmDRG.jpg

It doesn't look bad, buuuut...

GtjKole.jpg

I started with the line on the left and my goal was to exaggerate the S-shape. But it turns into a more or less straight-ish line at the hips. Now I wonder if it wouldn't look better if I pushed the hips back (red line) to be more in line with the torso.

Well, only one way to find out.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Big image, so I'll put it in a quote.

Practice using a photo from QuickPoses. You can see the reference image here.
I jumped on it when I saw it because just look at those colours.

I have a hell of a time trying to make anyone actually look like themselves, so I tried something here where, after painting for a while and deciding it was still way off, I overlaid the photo on the painting and then flicked its visibility on and off. Never traced though, just took stock of which proportions were wrong and then tried to fix it with the photo off to the side again. Still doesn't look anything like the model. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I used this Frenden brush set called "Bitter Ritter" that makes everything look just like oils on canvas. It's pretty great.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
Dear digital artists — I am looking at buying a tablet for illustration. My main concerns are: a thin, realistic stylus. Tactile feel. Can draw directly onto the screen (not one where I'm looking at a separate screen as I draw).
Budget isn't an issue.
What would you recommend?
So far I came across the Wacom Cintiq 16 which seems pretty good.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Big image, so I'll put it in a quote.

Practice using a photo from QuickPoses. You can see the reference image here.
I jumped on it when I saw it because just look at those colours.

I have a hell of a time trying to make anyone actually look like themselves, so I tried something here where, after painting for a while and deciding it was still way off, I overlaid the photo on the painting and then flicked its visibility on and off. Never traced though, just took stock of which proportions were wrong and then tried to fix it with the photo off to the side again. Still doesn't look anything like the model. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I used this Frenden brush set called "Bitter Ritter" that makes everything look just like oils on canvas. It's pretty great.
An artist is their own worst enemy. They live inside their heads too much. Embrace your style and roll with it. I think it looks pretty damn good personally as someone who doesn't dabble too much in realism. The most important thing about portrait drawings/art is getting the essence of the person to paraphrase comic book artist, Jen Bartel. I think you nailed down the color sensations in addition to the essence of the subject. What surprises me more is that Deviant Art is still a thing! But I'm only teasing. 😆

And you're reminding me that I have to reinstall all my Frenden brushes since CSP didn't save them for some reason. I've been itching to mess around with all the brushes to get a feel for them.
Dear digital artists — I am looking at buying a tablet for illustration. My main concerns are: a thin, realistic stylus. Tactile feel. Can draw directly onto the screen (not one where I'm looking at a separate screen as I draw).
Budget isn't an issue.
This thread is more for general artwork, process, and feedback. I would recommend reposting it in that thread since it's exactly for that: https://www.resetera.com/threads/digital-art-hardware-software-era-ot.29658/

Personally, I got a Lenovo Flex 5 2-In-1 laptop with a Wacom EMR pen. I got it thanks to the above thread. Touch can be disabled which I did and I exclusively only use it for digital software.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Budget isn't an issue.
Get yourself an Ipad Pro, a paper style screen protector and Procreate/CPS. 12 years of wacom life have been instantly forgotten when I bought mine.

All my recent stuff is under NDA, I'm working for a DnD campaign book project. I'm pretty happy with the stuff I'm doing, so I'll post them whenever I can. Until then, here's a random character!

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone recommend a good book or two(or hell, any resources! websites, etc) for brainstorming ideas for narrative illustrations and characters? Thanks in advance.

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
Did more JoJo fanart. Decided to be a bit more liberal with bright colours(inspired by Loish) and I like the result.