• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Murder_by_number_ghost_trick.jpg

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I FINALLY decided to start an art-only Twitter and Instagram so as to limit my inanity spammings:

I also figured out how to make it so that my Instagram posts auto-post onto Twitter without importing all the horrendous Instagram-required hashtags. Hopefully I will be able to start working on actual new art and posting it too sometime soon.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't posted here in a good long while lol

Here's a warmup sketch that I decided to use to practice painting

8e9f04164dbaf8a33cae84444d71ce3e74820d4d.jpg

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Been experimenting with polaroid lifts. First one is done on SX-70 film I took a few weeks ago.. second one is from 600 film taken today.

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody here has an iPad pro w/ Apple pencil and procreate? Any feedback you can give about it? What size of iPad do you own, and how has it impacted your drawing habits thus far? I'm really curious, I really wanna indulge in one, but it's pricey, so I'm looking for some opinions and advices before taking the leap (if at all). Thanks in advance for your kind answers!

I'm terrible at art but I have a 12.9 pro and the new pencil and (sort of...) proper file support makes it really awesome. I'm not good enough to care about or take advantage of Procreate but I sometimes draw in Fresco or Clip and then edit/manipulate with Procreate and it's mostly great.

You can also use a mouse and keyboard at the same time which becomes really useful for some projects.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
tyler-klimek-slightlybrighter-atlantiaheader.jpg

Atlantia: Museum Beneath the Sea

tyler-klimek-slightlybrighter-bloodgulchheader.jpg

Halo Recreation Project: Part 1 - Blood Gulch

tyler-klimek-amanda-wood-highresscreenshot00004.jpg

Zoelie (3D Game - Stylized South American City)

Here are some screenshots from a few of my 3D unreal engine environments from my portfolio. Im an environment artist ☺ hope you guys like them. This is my first time posting in this thread. There are more images and videos from these environments on my portfolio website: Www.tylerklimek.com

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Why 6 when 12 means more practice?! o_O
(And strike a few off my personal "I like eem and wanna do faaaanart" list)

Im surprised there's been so few art memes/challenges in this time but it was fun.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I privated my other twitter so a bunch of my images in this thread are broken lol.

But anyway, new twitter for just arts and finally new art for the first time in a long time, it feels like!

"The #SixFanarts art meme has been going around, and I wanted to participate, but I decided to make fanart of my own OCs because I never have the time to draw them these days! ;w;

My twist: 6 fanarts of my various Sun in Aries OCs!

Let's see if I can do the Taurus set soon! "

EWJK3pvXgAAfgqL.jpg:large

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Chie "trial of the dragon" Satonaka in the iconic Bruce Lee jumsuit:

ZaW2p5c.jpg

This is one drawing I wanted to make ever since I first played Persona 4 Golden years ago. Originally it looked way more elaborate. Realizing that endless perfectionism wouldn't get me anywhere, I tried to adopt the "don't think, feel" mindset myself and went back to a much sketchier style. I actually finished it pretty quickly after that.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
For all its (potential) fanservice, the character creator in SoulCalibur VI actually offers good anatomy and pose references. Below a character doing one of Geralt's poses. It's technically a mannequin in terms of nudity, but better to err on the side of caution, hence the panels and focus on limbs.

iqY0hvp.jpg

(Panels not to scale, btw.)

Face isn't finished yet and might never get finished. My main focus here were the muscles and how to use simple shadows to accentuate them. With around 2 hours of work put in, it's a pretty quick drawing all things considered. I tend to get bogged down in detail, but this time I made sure the basic outline was good and immediately started on the shadows.

Gotta say I'm pretty damn happy with how it turned out.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
how is the six fanarts thing working? Someone picks the characters for you, or just draw whatever you like?
Yeah, the idea is to have other people fill in requests for you so you have a variety of characters to draw.
But you can totally forgo that and pick your own faves to draw. Or in my case, I just draw my own characters. ;D

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Gemini set of my characters!

Do you think I can keep up with getting through all 12 signs and then some? (I want to do a couple of sets for undecided/unknown signs).

EXMKYWqXkAA4GPV.jpg

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
6Dfnd8I.gif

Longtime lurker of this thread: Finally took the jump and grabbed an iPad and Procreate, and am now taking the time to get into The Animator's Survival Kit and wanted to do something quick to show where I'm at before I try and apply those lessons to my own work. Also wanted to see what Procreate's animation features can do and im loving how intuitive everything feels. I always wanted to participate in this thread after admiring for so long, and was inspired to take that leap today! Hopefully this is just step one of many.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
6Dfnd8I.gif

Longtime lurker of this thread: Finally took the jump and grabbed an iPad and Procreate, and am now taking the time to get into The Animator's Survival Kit and wanted to do something quick to show where I'm at before I try and apply those lessons to my own work. Also wanted to see what Procreate's animation features can do and im loving how intuitive everything feels. I always wanted to participate in this thread after admiring for so long, and was inspired to take that leap today! Hopefully this is just step one of many.

I recognize that outfit! PSO2?

I like it!

Myself just got lucky with warranty and got upgraded to the new iPad so I'm waiting for the new pen to be delivered.. I want to take this chance to actually get back to working on my drawings.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
I recognize that outfit! PSO2?

I like it!

Myself just got lucky with warranty and got upgraded to the new iPad so I'm waiting for the new pen to be delivered.. I want to take this chance to actually get back to working on my drawings.

Thank you!

And yes, it's from PSO2. Love the character creator and outfits and that particular one is my favorite at the moment!

Im coming from a Surface Pro 4 and the difference in experience between the surface pen and the Apple Pencil (or anything else that I've tried before getting the Apple pencil really) is like a night and day difference, so I'm just getting used to being able to draw diagonal lines correctly and actual palm rejection. Look forward to seeing your work 😊

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
feel like its been ages since I shared anything here lol

EXhf5P9U8AAEP1W

Onto the next one! This time, with an actual plan lol

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I continue on with more OC groups according to zodiac.
Cancer group!

EXya_4sWAAc3QC5.jpg:large

Last edited:

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
While I have been improving overall, I feel my biggest problem currently is coming up with a pose, and if I have one, actually translating it to a good sketch. I can 'see' a pose with my mind's eye, but I fail to translate it to a proper drawing without some sort of reference to hold onto. So I seek out references in the form of photos, other drawings, etc. which is not a bad thing per se. But A) it can be hard to find the specific pose I am looking for, and more importantly B) when I try to deviate from the reference pose I instantly feel like I'm way out of my depth.

More and more it feels like I miss a solid foundation. The way I draw is like starting an RPG but bypassing the entire early game and going straight for the final boss. Which can be fine if you already played the game a dozen times, but not when it's your first playthrough.

Additionally, sticking so closely to a reference just doesn't make it feel like it's really my own drawing you know. Thing is: whenever I sketch something myself it always ends up looking like crap. Combined with my perfectionism it just makes for a miserable experience overall.

I gave it some further thought and now I wonder if one of those wooden mannequins might help me out? I never really thought about using one, but it might just be what I need. It lets me experiment with any pose and perspective I want, and I could even sketch the mannequin itself in great detail and simply adapt it into an actual human figure in a new layer. It might even help me with shadows (my other big stumbling block).

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
Since my PC is broken and I'm stuck at home because of this virus, if decided to venture into the uncharted waters of the analog 2D art. I started studying with the courses of the Faber-Castell website, but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. Then I started the drawabox course, and it worked for a while, but eventually it started making my life miserable, so I gave up. Spent a few days not drawing, not knowing what to do, then I had the idea of drawing pokémons, so this is the first page. I decided to start with the ones with simpler designs. For the second page I want to draw some of my favorite designs (Gengar is already done). Tips and comments are appreciated. I really want to get good at this thing.

EX-rSNBXgAA0bV0

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
They are cute but their eyes could be spaced farther apart and moved a bit closer to their mouths. Like this:

uclt0cP.png

Source: Pokemon Go

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
Since my PC is broken and I'm stuck at home because of this virus, if decided to venture into the uncharted waters of the analog 2D art. I started studying with the courses of the Faber-Castell website, but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. Then I started the drawabox course, and it worked for a while, but eventually it started making my life miserable, so I gave up. Spent a few days not drawing, not knowing what to do, then I had the idea of drawing pokémons, so this is the first page. I decided to start with the ones with simpler designs. For the second page I want to draw some of my favorite designs (Gengar is already done). Tips and comments are appreciated. I really want to get good at this thing.

EX-rSNBXgAA0bV0
Page 2.

EYn4-E7WoAUVxmF