• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It took 1.5 months but I finally finished my travelogue for the UK trip
I suck at taking photos (backlite, blurry, messed up lighting, etc) so that why I do travelogues instead
These are some of the pages from the travelogue--if you're interested, the rest is up on my site

FmPfAPi.jpg

KoD4isX.jpg

OoEwqvN.jpg

xaTRHg3.jpg

hQ4Xy68.jpg

VJ18bqw.jpg
This is super nice! Really good job and great way to take notes :)

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm can't see any images loaded? Might need to fix the link or something?

closeup63kdq.jpg

A close up wip of the current commission I'm working on. Its completely left field of what i normally work on which has both been refreshing but also challenging. Its at least given me the chance to really explore some more vivid bright colour stuff. Which I now feel I need to dig deeper into...

Did you ever finish this? I really love how you're rendering it. I'd love to see some pops of blue in the bow.
I knew there had to be an art thread somewhere.

I bought myself a Wacom Intuos S tablet a few days ago and it has been a lot of fun so far. I have always been a big fan of traditional art (heavy, coarse paper + thick graphite in particular; I love that thick, sketchy style) but my crippling perfectionism has prevented me from drawing by own things for a loooong time. When I was younger I would make an attempt every once in a while, but the last few years I kind of gave up. Instead I picked completed pieces of art that I liked and drew them in my own style. It wasn't tracing, but it certainly didn't feel like my own work.

This tablet feels like it could be a game changer for me, because it is so much easier to erase things that I don't like. There is no paper to ruin anymore, or erased but still vaguely visible lines to remind me of previous, botched attempts. It has actually given me a confidence boost because in just two hours I have been able to sketch an entire drawing, without using any reference except my own imagination, and I actually like how it looks! It is far from finished, but this is a big step for me.

I do have one question: can I use the tablet without any form of scratch protection? I noticed the tip of the pen scrapes. At first I figured the surface would probably be scratch resistant, but the more I hear it scrape, the more I start to worry I am ruining my tablet.

Be careful with that erasing thing. It can become a bad habit to rely on your eraser too much, especially in digital art because it's so convenient. The focus should be on building up your technique so that you don't need to use the eraser so much rather than using it even more out of convenience. You gotta make a lot of shitty work to get good. A tablet isn't an upgrade to your skills. If it is encouraging you to make more work though, that's great. Digital art is a lot of fun once you get into a good workflow.

As for the other question, I've never known anyone to use any form of protection on their tablet. It can get scuffed a bit but I've never actually scratched one non superficially.

Oct 26, 2017
Really loving this, must have taken so much time to complete! Absolutely love the Floral Costumes panel and the Botanical Garden one!
This format reminds me about how blogging through comics was the rage in France 10 years ago and I used to have a blog that I would update with similar comics narrating my daily life. I loved doing those, I kinda miss it in a way, I guess.
Yeah that floral costumes page from covent garden took like 4.5 hrs to color and I kept messing up which layer I was on

Do you still have that narrative art blog

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Did this bored at work today!! Any critiques would be great!
534E6C4B-9B15-4BA4-B479-C447945BEA15.jpg
Hey bud, this looks pretty good! Work must have been boring indeed :)

For a critique, heres a quick paintover, try to think about the figure in more holistic terms instead of making sure the face looks good, or the chest looks good, first make sure that everything is properly aligned before going heavy on the detail

po_ryzzi.jpg

Hope this helps!

TheRyzzl

Oct 5, 2018
Hey bud, this looks pretty good! Work must have been boring indeed :)

For a critique, heres a quick paintover, try to think about the figure in more holistic terms instead of making sure the face looks good, or the chest looks good, first make sure that everything is properly aligned before going heavy on the detail

po_ryzzi.jpg

Hope this helps!

Hey! Thanks for the feedback! I do have a bad habit of starting on detail to early or working my way down and then later looking at it and something seems off. Dynamic poses and hands and what not are still a struggle for me at least without a reference. Once again appreciate the feedback and the quick paint over looks great!

MasaDrew

Jun 20, 2019

Been working a bit with Procreate while in between traditional commissions. I really wish I had a tablet instead of my phone.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
bright side of life I'm loving the travel comics. As someone who does urban sketching/travel sketching with watercolors regularly, I dig it quite a lot! I'm due to travel for the entirety of next month (three weeks in the Dominican Republic, then a week in Seattle for PAX West) so I'll be sketching at the airport, on the plane, and beyond.

I miss digital drawing as my Galaxy Note 3 got messed up last year and I lost a TON of digital stuff in the process. My Wacom Bamboo tablet has been dusty for the last year on account of being too lazy to transfer my art programs and files over to my current laptop (I need to set aside some money to get an external HD).

Any way, I've been trying to get back into actively posting more art stuff on my Instagram regularly since I got a new phone. The Instagram algorithm is weird AF to pop into friends' feeds and what have you. Here's a mix of new and old stuff in descending chronology.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
Hey all, I'm new here and I apologize if this isn't the right place, but I had a more technical sort of question that I wondered if any of the art-type people here could help me out with.

I'm uploading images as png files to the comicpress theme on WordPress. I know that png files aren't completely lossless, but when they post online they show a high amount of artifacting. They look more like basic jpeg files than png. Anyone have any clue about why that may be happening and what I might be able to do to fix it?
Is it a setting in photoshop that I have incorrect? Is it something on ComicPress that I have set wrong? Am I doing something wrong when I resize for web? Google hasn't been very helpful and I'd really like to get this resolved.

Apologies again if in the wrong place.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hey all, I'm new here and I apologize if this isn't the right place, but I had a more technical sort of question that I wondered if any of the art-type people here could help me out with.

I'm uploading images as png files to the comicpress theme on WordPress. I know that png files aren't completely lossless, but when they post online they show a high amount of artifacting. They look more like basic jpeg files than png. Anyone have any clue about why that may be happening and what I might be able to do to fix it?
Is it a setting in photoshop that I have incorrect? Is it something on ComicPress that I have set wrong? Am I doing something wrong when I resize for web? Google hasn't been very helpful and I'd really like to get this resolved.

Apologies again if in the wrong place.
Some sites have a size threshold, for instance on Facebook youll get a lot less compression on a file above 1200 pixels or so. I use wordpress and havent noticed any noticeable compression so looks like it might be the theme?

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
Some sites have a size threshold, for instance on Facebook youll get a lot less compression on a file above 1200 pixels or so. I use wordpress and havent noticed any noticeable compression so looks like it might be the theme?

That's a good point on the size threshhold and gives me some ideas on things I can try to fix it.
And I know comicpress was not something officially made by wordpress so it wouldn't surprise me if there weren't something in the settings there.

At the very least I can eliminate some variables. Thank you!

Deleted member 42102

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018

So my friends got me back into drawing and I'm having a real hard time with eyes/hair/heads in general. Any recommendations?

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY

So my friends got me back into drawing and I'm having a real hard time with eyes/hair/heads in general. Any recommendations?

Andrew Loomis' Drawing Heads and Hands. George Bridgman books and Jack Hamm. You can probably Google Image search any of that stuff. Hamm posts a lot of good stuff on his Twitter too.

Also IIRC, Jen Bartel posts a lot of resources on Twitter including one on anime style drawing which seems to be what you're going for. Check out manga-materials.net/en (copy and paste it). You'll want to get used to drawing faces from different angles as it looks different.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Last edited:

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
I am interested in buying Proko's tutorials but they are quite expensive (375 USD for his three books). Has anyone here bought one of his packages? Are they worth the investment?

Oct 26, 2017

Heads are quite simple, comparatively. I almost always start with a ball, then add the contour of the face, then add the outlines of the eyes. If you're trying for an anime style, find an artist you like and try to emulate the details, like how they do noses or eyes. Just draw a ton of faces and you'll eventually pull into your own style.

Here's a current WIP:

AhzkC6R.jpg

That's a gnarly tree. If I can add one suggestion, I think the rocks shouldn't be that small. Even if it's exaggerated, it's hard to see what would hold the dirt together unless it's concrete. Maybe better to even just have dirt.

I've been drawing more portraits for my card game. Last two are two elven sisters: Arameldë and Wilwarin. I'm pretty happy with these two but I'll probably do some touchups. They were sketched by hand and then I took photos and inked them digitally. I used to scan everything but lately I haven't bothered to get the old scanner set up since it doesn't work on my current desktop system.

Aramelde.png

Wilwarin.png

Oct 26, 2017
These are amazing and keep getting better!

Do you take pics and notes during your trips? How do you decide or compile what goes into your travelogues?

I take (terrible) pictures that I use for reference and kind of draw whatever I can fit on a page that entails what happened on that day/locaton. I don't really take notes or anything--I just remember my impressions of what I did that day/at that location when I draw it.

I don't plan things out unlike my comics or illustrations so I some times wind up either putting stuff in an awkward layout and roll with it or erase EVERYTHING (which could be an entire page pencilled out) and start over.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
I drew my D&D characters
MTWMY9z.png

jhGYvTK.png

Maybe you can tell what games I pull my inspo from 😂

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I take (terrible) pictures that I use for reference and kind of draw whatever I can fit on a page that entails what happened on that day/locaton. I don't really take notes or anything--I just remember my impressions of what I did that day/at that location when I draw it.

I don't plan things out unlike my comics or illustrations so I some times wind up either putting stuff in an awkward layout and roll with it or erase EVERYTHING (which could be an entire page pencilled out) and start over.

Interesting process, thanks for answering.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
Some art I made for Dark Souls inspired personal artbook that I want to kickstart, thought I'd share it here first. watermark address not valid, so perhaps I might repost it with the correct address when the project is up.

48364878942_41639d155d_c.jpg

Hiraeth

Mar 16, 2018
London, UK
Hey guys, I've not posted in here in a little while but I've just finished a fairly big project with this Stranger Things poster and thought I'd come and share it with you all. Didn't realise you could share directly from Insta, that's incredibly handy!

I was really going for a Drew Struzan/80's movie poster vibe with this one - I studied him pretty closely when making it. Unfortunately a lot of the details are lost at this scale.