• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017

Amazon.com: The Art of the Mass Effect Trilogy: Expanded Edition: 9781506721637: Bioware: Books

Amazon.com: The Art of the Mass Effect Trilogy: Expanded Edition: 9781506721637: Bioware: Books

51+b66G17-L._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Expanded with hundreds of never before seen works of art, this new edition delves deeper than ever into the sci-fi saga that changed video games forever.

Contains extensive new material from the DLCs for all three games--including the award-winning "Lair of the Shadow Broker" from Mass Effect 2 and the fan-favorite "Citadel" from Mass Effect 3.

Experience the evolution of the aliens, planets, ships, and technology that define this iconic science fiction universe, as the developers who brought BioWare's masterpiece to life take you from the earliest design sketches through to the meticulous final renders.

Brimming with concept art and commentary, this expanded edition is the ultimate companion to one of the greatest series in the history of gaming!

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Thanks, I'm always interested in artbooks, especially from video games, will keep an eye on this one.

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
Neato, will get this for sure, I never got the first one. I wonder if the remaster will come out around the same time?

Dec 25, 2018
Yep, new book. I assume, given the name, all the old material is there. But it also has added material, namely from the DLCs and whatnot.
sounds good, I remember the 1st version came out before Mass effect 3 (I can remember trying to not look at the me3 chapter to avoid spoilers) so it wouldn't have had art from anything that came out after.

Just checked the page count on the one I have versus the amazon listing of the new one, 181 vs 272, should be a good bit of content in it then.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Before Andromeda came out the release date got leaked when they put the art book up, wouldn't suprise me if that date is when the remaster comes out.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting. Guess this means I can sell my old one if everything from before is included in this one?

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Before Andromeda came out the release date got leaked when they put the art book up, wouldn't suprise me if that date is when the remaster comes out.
Yeah, first thing I thought. Though rumors said the remastered trilogy would be coming this year, I wouldn't be surprised if they pushed it back to February.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
This is the best thing to happen to Mass Effect franchise since the Citadel DLC. One of these days I was once again reading the Art of Mass Effect book and it's an incredible book, but I also thought too small for three games. I wanted more! Now I see, for a price, I can have it. A fitting birthday present to myself.

I also particularly like how it's the Mass Effect TRILOGY. Leave Andromemda out of it.

Hopefully this means the trilogy remaster announcement is imminent.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
OP
OP
EatChildren

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Also, they are releasing a comic book collection (nov 3, 2020):

Mass Effect: The Complete Comics: Walters, Mac, Miller, John Jackson, Barlow, Jeremy, Francia, Omar, Parker, Tony: 9781506719191: Books: Amazon.com

Mass Effect: The Complete Comics [Walters, Mac, Miller, John Jackson, Barlow, Jeremy, Francia, Omar, Parker, Tony] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. Mass Effect: The Complete Comics

tumblr_mv0bpsaRdD1qb5gkjo1_400.gif

Oh cool. Thanks!

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Dark Horse seems to put together insanely good books at great prices, this should be amazing.
Been trying to track down copies of their previous Tomb Raider archives that look stellar.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
Neat. I'll sell my original edition if this one includes all of that material too. It doesn't matter at all, I know, but Aria getting the cover blows. There are way more iconic characters, scenes and locations they could've gone with.

OP
OP
EatChildren

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Aria is on the cover for both the artbook revision and the comic collection, for some reason.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one thought the book was a game, it was clear by the art part. No need to talk down to people in the thread title. It comes off as shitty.

ColR100

Jan 13, 2018
The release of Art of Mass Effect Universe really is quite comprehensive, as much as I enjoy the designs and concept work behind this series, I really don't think a new book is really required to add 100 new pages.

If you own the original Mass Effect 1 art book also, then there's even less of a reason to consider this, unless you really need those DLC art work additions.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
The release of Art of Mass Effect Universe really is quite comprehensive, as much as I enjoy the designs and concept work behind this series, I really don't think a new book is really required to add 100 new pages.

If you own the original Mass Effect 1 art book also, then there's even less of a reason to consider this, unless you really need those DLC art work additions.

I love it, but it feels like a nutshell version of it. There is a lot of artwork on the internet that was not in the book. I mean, you don't have a page that explore the design of the Reapers for example. You have for the Human Reaper, and that small version from ME3, but not Sovereign or Harbinger.

Oct 29, 2017
Just saw from Shinobi on Twitter that BioWare has had a 'grand reopening' of their online merch store, including a lot of Mass Effect items naturally. Not to get too hyped, but I'm beginning to wonder if these small signs are building towards an announcement. Maybe on Thursday?

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
Just saw from Shinobi on Twitter that BioWare has had a 'grand reopening' of their online merch store, including a lot of Mass Effect items naturally. Not to get too hyped, but I'm beginning to wonder if these small signs are building towards an announcement. Maybe on Thursday?
Dunno if there's an announcement this Thursday, but this is definitely a move to promote the ip for the remaster's release.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil

I've been on "Hype Set to Maximum" since I saw this thread. I mean, in the EA conference I was "maybe they leave to the Microsoft one". But now? if it's now, when?

OP
OP
EatChildren

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a safe bet the Trilogy Remaster is a real thing. Multiple reliable journos and insiders have stated it's on the way. The question is what extent of work is being done on them, and when they're due. If they're not too far away EA neglecting to announce them at the digital event implies one of two things.

Either:
a) EA is trying a quick announcement-to-release turnaround strategy, like others have done with remasters, feeling it'll result in more loaded front end marketing and sales
or b) It's a pretty simple quick-and-dirty port with not much in the ways of enhancements and EA would rather not make a big deal about it pre-release and potentially stifle sales from unsatisfied fans

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
I think it's a safe bet the Trilogy Remaster is a real thing. Multiple reliable journos and insiders have stated it's on the way. The question is what extent of work is being done on them, and when they're due. If they're not too far away EA neglecting to announce them at the digital event implies one of two things.

Either:
a) EA is trying a quick announcement-to-release turnaround strategy, like others have done with remasters, feeling it'll result in more loaded front end marketing and sales
or b) It's a pretty simple quick-and-dirty port with not much in the ways of enhancements and EA would rather not make a big deal about it pre-release and potentially stifle sales from unsatisfied fans

I'll go with b:
BioWare is already full at work with other proyects, and if you take a look at other EA remasters (Burnout Paradise), one can safely expect it to be a resolution bump + better lighting and textures.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I'll go with b:
BioWare is already full at work with other proyects, and if you take a look at other EA remasters (Burnout Paradise), one can safely expect it to be a resolution bump + better lighting and textures.
Their other remasters are just Burnout Paradise and Command & Conquer. The former is a quick job with not much in the way of improvements other than resolution and textures and the latter is an incredible work that included a wide rework of art assets, audio and video remastering, quality of life improvements, etc.
So it's anyone's guess, really.

Either:
EA has nothing announced for the Holiday season or Q1 2021, so I think it's safe to say that's when they might be planning to drop the remaster.
And it might not be too wise to announce it too far ahead, because that would increase the marketing costs and a remaster isn't going to dominate the mindshare against brand new releases.

I think EA is going to announce it around a month before launch.

foxdvd

Oct 30, 2017
I would honestly take any version....I love the games so much and I would love the convenience of playing them again on the latest console.

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
If it's really coming in February I could see them just waiting for N7 Day at this point. I don't remember them ever announcing anything big that day but I think it'd be smart, at any other event a remaster would just get overshadowed by next gen.

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
Their other remasters are just Burnout Paradise and Command & Conquer. The former is a quick job with not much in the way of improvements other than resolution and textures and the latter is an incredible work that included a wide rework of art assets, audio and video remastering, quality of life improvements, etc.
So it's anyone's guess, really.
C&C remastered was announced more than a year prior to release, talking about how big of a comeback is going to be with the original devs on board, etc.
This is going to be released this year, and hasn't had any noise yet, besides the strong rumours and leaks.

EA's behaviour is a clear evidence of what kind of proyect it is.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
C&C remastered was announced more than a year prior to release, talking about how big of a comeback is going to be with the original devs on board, etc.
This is going to be released this year, and hasn't had any noise yet, besides the strong rumours and leaks.

EA's behaviour is a clear evidence of what kind of proyect it is.
Eh, I don't know. They're different games and Command & Conquer actually specifically sought the help of its community while the devs were working on it, it was a very transparent process. And it most likely need it to gauge interest so EA would keep working on it. Mass Effect doesn't need that, so it doesn't need to be announced so far in advance.
I'm not firmly expecting them to go as far with Mass Effect as they went with C&C, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's also a much better job than Burnout.

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
Eh, I don't know. They're different games and Command & Conquer actually specifically sought the help of its community while the devs were working on it, it was a very transparent process. And it most likely need it to gauge interest so EA would keep working on it. Mass Effect doesn't need that, so it doesn't need to be announced so far in advance.
I'm not firmly expecting them to go as far with Mass Effect as they went with C&C, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's also a much better job than Burnout.
Oh, it will definitely will look better than Burnout:
Paradise was quite good looking on it's time, there's not much to improve with textures and lighting on that case.

The original version of the trilogy instead, have a lot of low res textures, ME1 in particular. The extra texture details will do wonders for the games, even if they don't reach the same resolution as the mods made for the pc version.

In other words, while the scope will be similar to what they did to Burnout, the improvements will way be more noticeable.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Probably just a quick and dirty port but if they went Mafia Definitive Edition it would be amazing. I don't think Bioware would handle it directly but some studio EA will bring in.

I feel it will be at the Xbox conference as if it's out this year it needs to be out before the next generation arrives. It will be lost in the hype.

I think EA is over Mass Effect as a series. It looked like they wanted Anthem to become the new Mass Effect and were pushing that and left Andromeda to an inexperienced team. The game lacked marketing and didn't see much of gameplay until the final few months.

Last edited: