• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
and 5 looks like Claymation. In the meantime cell shading has improved so the anime look of the Zero series (and anime movie) could have been recreated polygonally perfectly now, but instead we have banana hair, clay statue stumpy muscle thugs and thick women in fetish outfits.

Its suppoused to

Street Fighter looks like action figures fighting, that's literally the entre point.

Further more, it you could do an arksys " Everything looks anime perfect" they would loose out on their revenue stream, costumes. Because to make shit look that good an anime, they would have to mate every single part individually, because there would be no physics because the graphics are baked in. And while that works for DBZ because its dragonball the fuck Z and for the most part outside of rare occurrences there isn't too much of a market for alt costumes. Its there for every other fighting game and games in general and makes a lot of money. What the hell would they throw that away on a process that would take them a long amount of time, when they could make a fighting game that looks good in its own way in a completely different art style that also allows them to get different revenue streams

langgi

Oct 27, 2017
Southeast Asia
I fucking adore this Mika costume, it's so amazing

Mika got all the best costumes in V. Cheerleader costumes with pompom hands is also brilliant. Her Monster Hunter costume gonna be glorious.

I also like how expressive characters are during combat.
100% this. I even modified the hit VFX in my game just so I can see characters face expression :p
24464934437_9db8ac82e1_n.jpg
vs
38621113384_6363e333e3_n.jpg

I found SFV expression and animations to be consistent. The characters are as expressive during combat as they are in intro or story cutscenes. These are all taken during combat:

Even the background NPCs are expressive

Village

Oct 25, 2017
If you think SFV looks great obviously you don't agree with me.
And I don't think Guilty Gear Xrd limited itself bc it tried to emulate it's 2D art. The opposite happened actually, we saw a revolution on how the 2D looking graphics are made in 3D.
I think that works for guilty gear, but I feel like its artistically limiting for street fighter. Guilty gear a fighting game series that's litterally 90's animefighter, evovling to look like a 3d 90's anime is its lane. Street fighter that's beenin a few art styles, continues to evolve in a different art style. Also it didn't start a " revolution" that aren't a lot of games doing that? And if you mean movies like charlie brown, those movies were problably in production a lot longer than guilty gear was and had no influence from guilty gear whats soever. SO what revolution are you talking about. The most popular games in the world right now look full on 3d, hell the most popular shooter in the world right now, overwatch is literally using the same school of " my characters look like clay super hero action figures fighting each other" what revolution are you talking about

Nov 11, 2017
This user is warned for this post: Drive-by. Please contribute earnestly or dont post. It's not hard.
I want to see all these fighting games that look like gg xrd or dbfz.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't play fighting games, but this is the best looking one from what I can tell. Looks so cool that it makes me want to try playing.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
While I've always found SFIV to be rather hideous, but SFV makes polygonal Street Fighter work for me in a way it never has before. Love it or hate it, it's definitely distinct, and I'm on the side of loving it. The aesthetic is something that translates the cartoony designs and character proportions so well, and I've been impressed with the details on the character models themselves as well as just how different they can look in their alt costumes.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for making this thread, its a fantastic looking game and truly the best visuals in the genre right now ... its also the most misunderstood visually, but Ive been having these fights since SFIV, haha. This is the one game where people make the most assumptions about its art.

On a personal note, Im not a fan of most of the season 1 and 2 character designs, like, at all, but I really appreciate that the costume changes are so indicative of the gameplay changes, as exemplary synergy between art and design.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
As great as DBZF looks, the key frame poses don't compare to seeing the swing through on my attacks in SFV. They over did the physics animation to show it off on things like Necalli's hair but everything else is great.

Finaika

Dec 11, 2017
Is that a joke thread?
Apart from the animation, many other fighting games surpasses it in terms of art style. Kof 13, MvC3, KI, tekken 7, skull girl to name a few.

Animation is absolutely not subjective, it's some of the best in the business.

From extravagant details
z0e2DJa.gif
qeRYBKu.gif

To classic, understated fundamentals
OZ8L6QL.gif
G764FkP.gif

Just flat-out gorgeously detailed animation
LHt1Z0Y.gif
yKUJgPL.gif

Seamless camerawork and direction
hPEsywM.gif
O7PaIn2.gif

Top tier sense of impact and reactions
jLSCEkT.gif

And this
sghY50y.gif

I rest my case.

p.s. rip mobile users

KOFXIV has better animations though.

tumblr_on9aa5dxM71usrgjso1_500.gif

Village

Oct 25, 2017
That's not the best example

The gif is choppy, and her animations don't look like she has weight

And that doesn't help more because the boxers in sfv has some of the best animations in the game

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I think that works for guilty gear, but I feel like its artistically limiting for street fighter. Guilty gear a fighting game series that's litterally 90's animefighter, evovling to look like a 3d 90's anime is its lane. Street fighter that's beenin a few art styles, continues to evolve in a different art style. Also it didn't start a " revolution" that aren't a lot of games doing that? And if you mean movies like charlie brown, those movies were problably in production a lot longer than guilty gear was and had no influence from guilty gear whats soever. SO what revolution are you talking about. The most popular games in the world right now look full on 3d, hell the most popular shooter in the world right now, overwatch is literally using the same school of " my characters look like clay super hero action figures fighting each other" what revolution are you talking about
You just don't get it.
Peace.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
You just don't get it.
Peace.
I just don't get what, I explained why different games have different styles and go different routes and how one games evolution might not equate to another

and then i asked you to provide proof this 2d, but 3d revolution GG started and you didn't name a single game

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
KOF XIV has underrated animation. Better than just about every fighting game this generation.

But it's still not in SFV's league.

Agreed. To me SFV is the 3D equivalent of SF3, out doing every 3D SF in the past by far much like SF3 did with 2D. I don't think SNK has reached that level of Garou/3S yet.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
There are some things that bother me a lot with the game visually, mainly how bad stuff in the story looked, but otherwise I think the game looks completely fantastic. I love how the colors in the game glow and certain aesthetic touches, like dithering psycho power waves.

I adore how Dragon Ball FighterZ looks but that style is all wrong for Street Fighter IMO. I never liked the anime vibe that the Street Fighter Alpha games had, always felt like a different franchise to me even.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It looks good but it looks like early UE4, and the materials (clay) and 30 fps background animation kind of detract from the overall look.

Someone else said inconsistent modelling and that's probably correct.

4 was irritating to look at because it tried to legitimatize "obnoxious" as a palatable aesthetic. They've made subtle improvements, but the silhouettes and a passing glance say 4-2. If you have a history of re-branding the same game over and over with incremental additions, it would probably be more exciting to consumers to distance yourself dramatically in the visual department. First impressions mean a lot. Unfortunately, it was probably the plan to maintain a visual identity, given SF4's success.

The new character select and fight introductions are sick though.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit at some pics here. Is this game Pro supported? Does it look this good on PS4 as well?

No, it is not Pro supported, even though the game got basically a rerelease with Arcade Edition recently and it imo looks disappointing on PS4 compared to PC. Most of the super clear and crisp shots you see in here are PC shots.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That Chun Li outfit is tragic but SFV is beautifully modelled and animated. The best looking fighting game. Wish it got a Pro patch tbh.

OP
OP
MrCarter

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for making this thread, its a fantastic looking game and truly the best visuals in the genre right now ... its also the most misunderstood visually, but Ive been having these fights since SFIV, haha. This is the one game where people make the most assumptions about its art.

This means a lot coming from someone in the industry. Capcom would be proud. Perhaps they can do some Star Wars cross over costumes in the future, would be great to see Bison in a Darth Vadar costume lol.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I love the art direction. The characters look like high-quality figurines. Like Figma or something. And it's got great colours.

Sure, some of the modelling and animation is a bit hit or miss. But the art-direction itself, and 95+% of the game looks great.

Aigato

Oct 30, 2017
Manchester, UK
Really like the look of SFV, huge improvement from IV IMO. Was a little letdown it's mostly a discussion about ingame graphics though, got a huge thing for Street Fighter Art Work.

Anyone got a copy of Street Fighter: Undisputed?. Adore that book at the moment

Gren

Oct 27, 2017
Really like the look of SFV, huge improvement from IV IMO. Was a little letdown it's mostly a discussion about ingame graphics though, got a huge thing for Street Fighter Art Work.

Lol, have that sitting on my coffee table atm. Didn't even realize that was the full title. Just saw a new book with "Street Fighter" in the title at our comic store & I said "I'll take it."Great little book about the history of SF (JPN & US) that I like to thumb through every now and then.

Last edited:

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
As much as I love how the game looks, it's really jarring to see a lot of things in the background run at sub-60 fps. It's been a while, but I don't remember that being the case in SFIV.

It's just a weird juxtaposition to see such fluid, beautiful animation playing out in front of a bunch of background elements where you can physically count each frame of animation. I was really hoping they optimized the game well enough for AE to fix this, but that's unfortunately not the case. :<

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great animation quality but the art style in SF4 and 5 are probably the worst I have ever seen for a video game

Why couldn't they just stick with the HD remix art direction?

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Great animation quality but the art style in SF4 and 5 are probably the worst I have ever seen for a video game
Yup. SFV looks horrendous. jett Absolutely. HORRENDOUS.
As much as I love how the game looks, it's really jarring to see a lot of things in the background run at sub-60 fps. It's been a while, but I don't remember that being the case in SFIV.

It's just a weird juxtaposition to see such fluid, beautiful animation playing out in front of a bunch of background elements where you can physically count each frame of animation. I was really hoping they optimized the game well enough for AE to fix this, but that's unfortunately not the case. :<
That's only for stages that were in the base launch. I believe all extra/DLC stages since then have 60 fps animation.

Which just makes the base stages having 30 fps animation seem even weirder tbh.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
When the game looks good, it looks damn good. There some issues, like certain characters looking a little less amazing (Ken, at times, certain outfits) but overall the look is so good. Like clay figures or or something.

But the one thing I absolutely adore and that makes things feel fresh is the animations. They're gorgeous and the best on any fighting game, personally. That's not to say other fighting games aren't good but they're aren't on SFV's league. Not Tekken, not DBZ (or anything ASW), not KoF (though I love XIII, actually but it's last gen). SFV just has beautiful animations and it's what I would say is "next gen". They've added so many subtle animations because the technology now allows for it. I wish most developers would put importance in animation like SFV has. It really follows SFIII in this department. Mesmerising animations you could sit and look at for a while. It's one of the things I do whenever a new character drops. Just their neutral animations and the movements they make are super smooth and delightful to see. It's almost wasted effort but I really love it.

Other than that, UDON art and Bengus' low quality art... It's a mishmash that I don't really like. But I try to forget Bengus did these on a napkin and called it a day...

OP
OP
MrCarter

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There are some nice pieces of artwork which you can unlock by playing through SFV Arcade Mode.

Artist - Namboku:

ending-sfa-sakura-special-namboku.png

Artist - Bengus:

ending-sfa-sakura-legacy-bengus.png

Artist - Tamio:

ending-sf1-ken-special-tamio.png

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The NPCs in SFV's stages are actually a mix of 30 and 60fps animation, depending on how close they're to the camera/characters. I think the cutoff mark was wrongly set too close in some of the original stages. In the London stage you can see a mix of 30/60fps NPCs that look like they're virtually next to each other. Too bad they didn't fix this. If it's something that can actually be fixed anyway. This is done to alleviate stress on the CPU. A lot of games do the same thing for characters in the distance, and when it comes to 30fps titles, that means 15fps animations. Even the Naughty Gawds resort to this.

Personally, I don't think it's that distracting, it's not like the 2-frame animations of background characters bothered anyone back in the 90s.

I'm gonna have to disagree there, but KOF14 doesn't look too bad in motion. I like how the animation and overall flow was done to resemble their old 2D games, in a way.

That game just needs a better engine.

latest
latest

balrog_hd.gif
zangief-hdstance.gif

GratefulBeneficialFreshwatereel-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:

Subaru

Oct 26, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
While the characters have some problems (specially with hair), I think Capcom NAILED their animations. SFV is LEAGUES ahead the competition animation wise.
That said, I think the stages are really ugly. It haves so much low quality textures on the first plane and while I do like the stages DESIGN, I hate the execution.

These pictures that everybody posted are awesome because the stages are blurry.

SFV-4k-Vega-3.jpg

I don't hate this stage design/composition, but EVERYTHING in it is so ugly: the log, these sheeps, the grass... everything is ugly as hell

The newer stages are better, but I was baffled with Suzaku Castle:

street_fighter_5-2-1.jpg

I know that this picture isn't perfect to make an analysis like that, but look how fuzzy the castle is, it seems like everythings is poorly rendered. This stage is simple, it doesn't have much going on, it cant be because the PS4 (and the PC!!!) can't show better stages.

I think they are making the stages less "vibrants" to make SFV characters popup even in bad streamings, that's why everything on the background are foggy. But I hate it.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There are some nice pieces of artwork which you can unlock by playing through SFV Arcade Mode.
Artist - Bengus:

ending-sfa-sakura-legacy-bengus.png

Oh my gosh Bengus is still at capcom? Why arent their more games using his art direction? Loved his work on Marvel 2

He's jesting sure but I do like this ken much more than the one we have in SF5. Look at how wild his hair is! Bushy unkept eyebrows lood good too!

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

Lol!

You know there is something wrong when you can't get me to agree with a Vanessa example. She is one of my all-time favorite fighting game characters, KoF XIV was the worst she ever looked though. Obviously her animations have more frames, due to the shift away from sprites, but her animations also lost a lot of their impact.

It was hard enough to deal with SFIV's style, I don't know if I would have even bought SFV if it looked like HD Remix. That was an UGLY game.

Last edited:

Hitoribhoshi

Oct 28, 2017
I want a PC that can run the game at highest settings without issues from extended play :[

Ken just needs a new pose on character select screen. Wherever that light source is isn't doing him favors.
just so you know, I was given a PC that does exactly that, 2500K, 16Gb of 1333ghz DDR3, and a 280X amd card(it's a mid end config from like 5y ago). I really don't think you need a beast of a pc for this game tbh.

Edit : I mist agree with what's said above. I'm a fan of Vanessa, and KOFXIV does nothing for me.

Aigato

Oct 30, 2017
Manchester, UK
Lol, have that sitting on my coffee table atm. Didn't even realize that was the full title. Just saw a new book with "Street Fighter" in the title at our comic store & I said "I'll take it."Great little book about the history of SF (JPN & US) that I like to thumb through every now and then.

Such a gripping read.

Glosses over ALOT, I think Street Fighter III in general only gets a handful of pages at best/

OP
OP
MrCarter

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the initial stages were inconsistent but the new stages are pretty well done. My fave one is probably Bison's Thailand stage because the detail on the statues, the bell and temple are very nice.

SFV-Thailand-Stage-2.jpg

sfv-temple-hideout-wide.jpg

18_sf5costumesstage12.jpg

18_sf5costumesstage13.jpg

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
The NPCs in SFV's stages are actually a mix of 30 and 60fps animation, depending on how close they're to the camera/characters. I think the cutoff mark was wrongly set too close in some of the original stages. In the London stage you can see a mix of 30/60fps NPCs that look like they're virtually next to each other. Too bad they didn't fix this. If it's something that can actually be fixed anyway. This is done to alleviate stress on the CPU. A lot of games do the same thing for characters in the distance, and when it comes to 30fps titles, that means 15fps animations. Even the Naughty Gawds resort to this.

Personally, I don't think it's that distracting, it's not like the 2-frame animations of background characters bothered anyone back in the 90s.

I'm gonna have to disagree there, but KOF14 doesn't look too bad in motion. I like how the animation and overall flow was done to resemble their old 2D games, in a way.

That game just needs a better engine.

latest
latest

balrog_hd.gif
zangief-hdstance.gif

GratefulBeneficialFreshwatereel-max-1mb.gif

I remember being so hype about this. I didn't mind it at first. Then I hated it. The Udon house style is not that appealing in the long run. It tried to mimic a lot of Alpha 1 art but it's just off. Everyone is legit ripped and jacked whereas Alpha1 still had thicker built designs without everyone having hard edges.

Stages in SFV can be a bit ugly yeah. It's obvious the characters got all the effort, which is fine to a degree. Weirdly, how some stages have fog and such, it'd make sense for the aeroplane UAE stage to have it, but it doesn't .I feel that would make it a bit easier to view that stage. I haven't played too much on the Thailand stage but it also looks too busy for me. Might just be a period of adjustment, however.