• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Obviously I'm not as mad as you are and I'm not being passive aggressive about it, I'm being completely forward. SFV's OT is full of dudes who want to make threads about their game where as soon as someone has an opinion that doesn't match theirs they all gang up and never engage in an honest discussion whatsoever. I wouldn't be surprised if the community itself has scared more newcomers away than it has attracted.
But we're not talking about the SFV community in this thread. This thread sole purpose was to express people's love for the art and animation of street fighter. I'm not a huge fan of the art in SFV but I appreciate it. Just like I appreciate tekkens art. But I see no reason to come into a thread specifically designed to discuss peoples affinity for a certain product and shit on it like you have. So what was your entire point in coming in here and doing that?

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
My issue is, for example, that the hair/clothes look like they're made of clay, but move like they are made of hair and fabric. It creates a cognitive dissonance on those physics. It's like it's been animated for another art style (like a normal 3D art style like Tekken), then had the claymation art style added on top.

I kinda see what you're saying. I was big into action figures (and had a huge SOTA toys SF collection). One of my pet peeves with figures is when they have cloth capes or clothing instead of modeled plastic. The SOTA Toys Bison cape always bothered me like that. However, sometimes something has to give, so it doesn't bother me too much in the context of this presentation.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
Hey everybody look it's all the regular posters from the sfv ot talking about how great sfv is and shouting down all dissenting opinions.

The rabid desire to defend SFV in every single respect is a wild thing to see. Kinda amazing how every single discussion of SFV here gets dominated by the same handful of people armed with their folders of gifs and dismissive statements.

Omar310

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I really like SFV and I play it regularly but I have to say that the visuals are pretty hit or miss. Characters like Chun-Li and Karin look fantastic while some look pretty meh like Alex and Akuma. The game has really high highs but also really low lows.

One thing I hate that I never see mentioned is how weirdly proportioned some of the characters are and I don't just mean the hands and feet. Like, Ken looks so weirdly stocky that it makes him seem kinda short and weird looking which has bothered me since the game came out. Also the hair consistently looks like clay which I can never get over. I guess it's still better than He-Man looking Ken from SFIV.

The music, on the other hand, is fucking god-tier. It's like my third favourite soundtrack of this generation, beaten only by Nier Automata and Persona 5, yet it's rarely ever mentioned.

Quoting for the new page

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No, you did not. You posted a huge post about animation when I hadn't even mentioned my opinion on animation (or even mentioned it apart from incidentally saying the OP stated option as fact) but the modelling.

When I then replied to you your post directly addressing the animation, by stating that I didn't think the fluid animation matched the art style, you replied with no real engagement by quoting me out of context with a smarmy neckbeard meme.

Your behaviour in this thread has been extremely rude.

Guy comes into an appreciation thread for a game's art, first thing they say is

"A disgusting looking game"

"a fetishistic nightmare"

Rude behavior indeed.

Last edited:

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
This game has some of the best animation work in all of videogames. I've no idea what people are looking at when they say they don't like the look of it tbh. If it's the backgrounds, then I'm glad they took a hit for the sake of the main characters tbh. Only one thing I'm looking at while playing.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
We just need someone to come in and say they think SFIV looks better, and we can wrap this one up and put a bow on it.
SFIV looks better. I'm not even joking.
sfiv-ken-622.png

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I read the thread title as "The Art of Fighting." Clicked on expecting to see this.

250px-Art_of_Fighting_1_cover.png

I need to read better.

supafamiman

Oct 27, 2017
One of their goals I'm sure was to make each character unique in look and feel including the "old" familiar classic characters.

I think they've done a pretty good job with that. The characters animate very different from one another and body types vary too (with female characters getting the least amount of variance, though Chun-Li looks different from R.Mika who looks different from a smaller character like Cammy/Ibuki). You'd be able to distinguish one character from the other seeing their silhouette or how they move.

Some other games I can feel like I'm just playing basic male/female model + moveset and it's very "function-like".

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
The art direction in SFV is fantastic and it is why this game was able to be "saved" compared to something like MVCi where it wont be possible. The character models and animation continue to get better with every new character release. The skins/costumes have actual effort put into them and are not just color swaps or adding some sort of weird thing on top the characters. The worst art in the game continues to be Bengus story mode art.

Oct 27, 2017
The animation is great. So fluid and detailed. The effects are quite nice, especially when using v triggers. I just wish I liked the character design as much as the other aspects. I can't get past how ridiculous everyone looks.

But we're not talking about the SFV community in this thread. This thread sole purpose was to express people's love for the art and animation of street fighter. I'm not a huge fan of the art in SFV but I appreciate it. Just like I appreciate tekkens art. But I see no reason to come into a thread specifically designed to discuss peoples affinity for a certain product and shit on it like you have. So what was your entire point in coming in here and doing that?
It's a problem this site has needed to discuss for a long time. Obviously I'm not going to make a thread randomly calling out a whole community because that would be ridiculous, but when they illustrate the same exact destructive pattern immediately in a completely innocuous thread it's fully on the table for discussion. Everybody is still fine to post cool screenshots and gifs or whatever, but damn maybe these couple of people (I assume they know who they are) can chill out on the dogpiling of dissenting opinions?

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Only thing I dislike is the huge feet and hands but otherwise, the game is beautiful.

I dont see that in any of the models in SFV, only happened in SFIV really. Character models in SFV have somewhat more subdued proportions on their limbs compared to SFIV.

only person that has giant hams for feet anymore is Ryu really.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
I raise you this monstrosity

As long as Ken looks fine, I'll take everyone else looking like monsters. I am fine with those sacrifices.

I think 4 looks more consistent. It's ugly in a different way though, it just looks kind of budget/amateur.
Eh, never found IV to be ugly. SFV though... as soon as I saw that Ken trailer all I was thinking was what went wrong. Been two years, still waiting for that patch. Where is it Capcom?!

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
This game has some of the best animation work in all of videogames. I've no idea what people are looking at when they say they don't like the look of it tbh. If it's the backgrounds, then I'm glad they took a hit for the sake of the main characters tbh. Only one thing I'm looking at while playing.

Fighting games seem to be so polarizing in terms of people's vocal love or disdain for the presentation. If you praise one aspect you'll get hordes of comments about how some other aspect is absolutely hideous. It never fails. It happens all the time for positive comments about NRS's presentation where you get that Kitana kicking gif or that video about how MKX's animation sucks.
It would be nice to talk about pros and cons of different games without all the extremes.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
SFV is pretty inconsistent in its execution. I think a lot of its animation is top notch but the game in its entirety does not feel cohesive or consistent to me.

This clipping and way Kolin's clothes behave in the above screen is a perfect example of the things that stick out to me from a qualitative standpoint. With so much looking so good, the problems stick out more.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I dont see that in any of the models in SFV, only happened in SFIV really. Character models in SFV have somewhat more subdued proportions on their limbs compared to SFIV.

Alex's hands are enormous. Like his fist is the size of his head.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
SFV is pretty inconsistent in its execution. I think a lot of its animation is top notch but the game in its entirety does not feel cohesive or consistent to me.

This clipping and way Kolin's clothes behave in the above screen is a perfect example of the things that stick out to me from a qualitative standpoint. With so much looking so good, the problems stick out more.

You should try being a Vega main. 9 times out of 10, his ponytail freaks out during the win pose.

Oct 27, 2017

I feel like its mostly those without shoes that have it, like Ken, Ryu, Laura, Menat etc.
I agree though, this game is much better than 4 at this thing.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Hey everybody look these two people don't know the difference between KOF 13 and 14.

Hey everybody look it's all the regular posters from the sfv ot talking about how great sfv is and shouting down all dissenting opinions.

KOFXIII is fucking awful, both visually and mechanically. Nona is my favorite SNK artist bar none but he can not design Sprite art worth shit.

And I don't even play SFV like that nor am i in the OT LMFAO. I compete in KI and even I can tell you that KI is an ugly ass game.

I wear one of the biggest capes for Killer Instinct as a competitive game don't you DARE suggest I can't give an opinion about the visuals on that game when they're fucking gaaaarbage

I can't believe you have the gall to even consider me an SFV fan I play that shit casually to the max. I'm a scrub Nash player who doesn't even watch that shit let alone actively discuss in it's mechanics. The audacity to make such a silly ass assumption about my fighting game preference when you can search my posts (it's a free feature on this site) and see what I'm into.

Last edited:

spider

CLANG
On Break
Oct 23, 2017
Australia
It's a problem this site has needed to discuss for a long time. Obviously I'm not going to make a thread randomly calling out a whole community because that would be ridiculous, but when they illustrate the same exact destructive pattern immediately in a completely innocuous thread it's fully on the table for discussion. Everybody is still fine to post cool screenshots and gifs or whatever, but damn maybe these couple of people (I assume they know who they are) can chill out on the dogpiling of dissenting opinions?

If your dissenting opinions are presented civilly and backed up with the understanding that others in the thread may react, in turn, with dismay towards you (i.e. dogpiling), then there is room for such feedback. We do not encourage an environment where there can be no discourse held in any given topic at ResetEra, but we do encourage that people keep to topic at hand, and that discussions are civil. Entering a thread simply to ruin the tone of the thread can fall within warnable conduct.

Please be mindful and apply empathy. Imagine if a thread is about a topic that you care passionately and that you want to gush about, before you hit post reply button.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Whats wrong with the way he looks in AE?

latest

Uh when did this happen, dude looks fine in this image. But I do not remember him looking like this when I last played the game, I'll get back to you I need to boot up the game and see if he really looks like this now. In the first image, his hair and eyebrows look pretty bad. Especially the eyebrows.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
SF characters having big hands and feet has been a thing for over twenty years. It'd be strange if SFV didn't carry this age-old tradition.

scale_2.png

It's done to make actions easier to read and increase the sense of impact of the attacks.

I raise you this monstrosity

guile_ssf4.jpg

For reference

BSAov2p.jpg

XJajs2Y.jpg

nded

Nov 14, 2017
It's alex....he's....always looked like that. Toning down his proportions from his original sprite would be kind of jarring.

latest
latest
alex-grab-headbut.gif
Oh, I know. I'm totally into the exaggerated proportions of SF, by the way. It's just that the early SFIV models handled that particular stylistic hallmark poorly.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Uh when did this happen, dude looks fine in this image. But I do not remember him looking like this when I last played the game, I'll get back to you I need to boot up the game and see if he really looks like this now. In the first image, his hair and eyebrows look pretty bad. Especially the eyebrows.

You've fallen to the meme bro. His Vanilla SFV character select had atrocious lighting that made his character look mangled.

But what you get now is this

8lbl4z86oz101.png

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
You've fallen to the meme bro. His Vanilla SFV character select had atrocious lighting that made his character look mangled.

But what you get now is this

8lbl4z86oz101.png

Uh this Ken is pretty busted, this is what I remember seeing. It doesn't look close to the second image at all... I thought they finally replaced the character select icon with the second image you posted.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
It's up there with GG and DBFZ. I love SFV attention to details .
Tekken, KOFXIV and MvCi are so behind sfv imo.
One thing I noticed is that the PS4 looks blury compared on my pc. I assume that my tv is just ass .

OP
OP
MrCarter

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The music, on the other hand, is fucking god-tier. It's like my third favourite soundtrack of this generation, beaten only by Nier Automata and Persona 5, yet it's rarely ever mentioned.

Oh the soundtrack deserves a whole other thread. It's definitely up there with P5, Nier Automata and other games for sure.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I think it's hideous. Just a bit better than the horrible SF4'S but it's not a compliment.
This and Kof14 are the ugliest fighters this gen. I hope both games improve it in the next installment and try to mimic the art of the 2D entries of their heydays.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's hideous. Just a bit better than the horrible SF4'S but it's not a compliment.
This and Kof14 are the ugliest fighters this gen. I hope both games improve it in the next installment and try to mimic the art of the 2D entries of their heydays.
That sounds artistically limiting

especially considering SFV looks great and there are other 3d fighters that look great. Maybe everything doesn't have to be the 90's and things can evovle artistically. Just maybe

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Overall I really like SFV's art style except for the hair. Really brings the look of some characters down i.e. Ken and Alex.
Another visual thing I dislike is the clipping in the character select screen. I don't mind clipping normally but when it's front and center in the css then that's a pretty bad look imo.
Otherwise, yea SFV has a really nice artstyle and some of the best animation in Fighting games to date. Love all of Abigails little post atrack animations.