• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zoukka

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it completely and utterly destroys the competition. I love Tekken and GG but they are generations behind what unholy handiwork the artists did at capcom.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Yes its really surprising that the game has no Pro support. Especially when they plan on supporting it for years and since it also has a PC version.

Pro support coming down the line maybe? Maybe they're waiting for the Pro install base to grow. I guess they might also see how many of CFN players are using Slim/OG and how many are using Pro and make their decisions partly based on that.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
SFV can be gorgeous on PC at max settings...but damn is the clipping distracting at times. PS4 version baldy needs a Pro patch.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Is that a joke thread?
Apart from the animation, many other fighting games surpasses it in terms of art style. Kof 13, MvC3, KI, tekken 7, skull girl to name a few.
My first thought. It's IMO a disgusting looking game with a really bad clash of 'realistic' and fantasy/cartoony elements so it ends up that everything looks like a fetishistic claymation nightmare.

Saying 'SFV has one of the best art styles and animation techniques in the games industry' is entirely subjective and a terrible way to start a thread.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
SFV's artwork is the biggest reason why I bought the game. It's gorgeous. I mean, sure I love the solid gameplay, but as a casual player; I already own Ultra SFIV.

That artwork (Chun Li *drool*) sold me on the game.

Killer Instinct is the only other fighting game this gen, whose art has some life to it. Everything else looks like a by the numbers, bland evolution of what came before it.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
When SFV works, it works. But the game suffers from what I call Capcom Jank where it's almost perfect but then Laura's hair physics wigs out and vibrates into another dimension.

I love the look of it overall though.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Disproportionate hostility - there is no reason for such an inflammatory post.
Is that a joke thread?
Apart from the animation, many other fighting games surpasses it in terms of art style. Kof 13, MvC3, KI, tekken 7, skull girl to name a few.
This might be the shittiest first post I've ever seen on a forum, dear fucking lord thank you for the ignore function, Reset.

Oct 25, 2017
Saying 'SFV has one of the best art styles and animation techniques in the games industry' is entirely subjective and a terrible way to start a thread.

Yeah I'm here on this, like the game doesn't look bad but in action it just looks a bit average. It's clear the game was constrained by the PS4 whilst hitting a sustained 60fps.

Sure it looks better than SF4 but I'm not sure it is the generational leap I'd hoped for. Between the first trailer and the release they clearly did a fair bit to improve overall image quality but otherwise... Yeah it ain't all that.

I mean if we're going to cherry pick shots of the game then we're only a page or so away from Cammy air throw gif rearing its head.

By comparison I'm not big on GG but that is clearly a game that you can point out as being artful and unique in what it did.

I mean SFV ain't MVCI or KOFXIV but I guess that isn't saying much either.

-edit-

Oh boy I just saw the mod edit. Ha ha I think I'll reign it in a bit.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Could someone point me in the direction of where to find some decent PC costume mods? I'd love to see them.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
"hideousness", "disgusting", "grotesque"

When I see these words I think games like Ride to Hell Retribution, Normality or Arabian Nights. Hyperbole sure is a cheap commodity these day.

Yeah it completely and utterly destroys the competition. I love Tekken and GG but they are generations behind what unholy handiwork the artists did at capcom.

"generations behind"

Come on, now.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My first thought. It's IMO a disgusting looking game with a really bad clash of 'realistic' and fantasy/cartoony elements so it ends up that everything looks like a fetishistic claymation nightmare.

What are these words you're even typing.

Art style is up for opinion I guess, I personally think it's by far the best a 3D SF game has looked like, and the best representation we got of the iconic western/eastern meld of Ikeno/Akiman's designs.

Animation is absolutely not subjective, it's some of the best in the business.

From extravagant details
z0e2DJa.gif
qeRYBKu.gif

To classic, understated fundamentals
OZ8L6QL.gif
G764FkP.gif

Just flat-out gorgeously detailed animation
LHt1Z0Y.gif
yKUJgPL.gif

Seamless camerawork and direction
hPEsywM.gif
O7PaIn2.gif

Top tier sense of impact and reactions
jLSCEkT.gif

And this
sghY50y.gif

I rest my case.

p.s. rip mobile users

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, game is gorgeous. Best Animation great detailed costumes and models I've seen in a fighter.

OP
OP
MrCarter

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"The Art of Street Fighter V"

I was expecting 2D concept art and artwork :(

On the CFN portal (a great little site for all things SFV) they post character concepts and art all the time. This particular post is about how they do the animation in SFV and use the character Ed as an example:

To get the characters moving in-game, we need data called "motions." In Street Fighter V, with a few exceptions we used motion capture in order to create those motions. Before the motion capture actors could get to work though, we had to think about the type of move and what its properties would be. For that purpose, we drew images of the animation patterns to help.

If the dialogue has been finalized, we have the motion capture actor say them out loud upon doing the performance. It's extremely useful in considering the move duration and tempo.

But there are times when the motion capture actor will do an adlib (it's amazing every time) or we might come up with new ideas on site, which leads to changing the poses we originally decided on. Excluding this though, this is how the character motions are decided.

ed1.jpg

ed2.jpg

ed3.jpg

More at the link:

https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/column/13220https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/column/132209

Last edited:

UncleMeat

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the reasons why I'm very much looking forward to how Blanka animates. He will be the first animalistic/beast style character in SFV so I'm excited to see how they visualise him.

SFV-Season-3-characters.jpg

I would say Necalli would count as at least kind of animalistic but if people want to forget he's in the game I'm good with that too. But ya I can't wait to see Blanka in action either.

Cool thread, OP. And Ken is beautiful you heathens!

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get you. Those games aren't doing anything unique. Tekken 7 just looks like every other Tekken upscaled in HD, while GG...just looks like anime.

I appreciate Capcom actually trying different things.

KOFXIII and KI are ugly ass games

Ehh.... agree with tekken

kof
ki
skullgirls for multiple reasons, though its beautifully animated

are all hard no

like god no

Hey everybody look these two people don't know the difference between KOF 13 and 14.

Hey everybody look it's all the regular posters from the sfv ot talking about how great sfv is and shouting down all dissenting opinions.

Yea its nice to have opinions.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To say SFV has horrible animation really displays ignorance. You may hate the art but it has one of the best and detailed animations in a fighting game.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's some bad character designs(Abigail, Ken with short hair, Akuma's stupid hair+chinstrap combo) and some technical problems but overall it's a very pretty game with some fantastic art and some of the better redesigns of well known characters I've ever seen.
It's weird to say it, but it also probably has the best looking females in any current fighting game.
And yeah, the animations are insane. I don't think any other fighting game comes close.

I know people shit on it, but I actually like the "clay" look. It would look weird if the character's hair looked realistic instead of solid like clay or plastic. They look like animated action figures.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
What are these words you're even typing.

I rest my case.
You just stated a bunch of opinions and then said 'I rest my case'. That's now how arguments work.

I didn't even mention animations when I stated my own opinion on the game. But in my opinion, the animations are too fluid for the chunky art style, it's like cartoon bugs bunny animations of very 3D looking semi-realistic characters, creating a style mismatch that looks bad. Chunky but floppy, it's no good. Street Fighter III had a flowing, 'classic 2D animation' style in both art and animation which matched well, many of those animations have been copied directly in 5, but it doesn't match the 3D graphics.

But my main complaint is the modelling and lighting, which just creates disgusting looking characters in many cases. they look literally like clay models, instead of either animation or real people.

TwoCoins

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Houston Tx
The games models and animations are top tier. The backgrounds are so early ps3 level characters which ruin a lot of the stages for me... the stages look better when they are empty.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Different opinions make me so angry!!! If you're going to use the ignore function maybe you shouldn't post a pointless inflammatory comment to go with it?
You sound like you need to chill the fuck out there, guy. You're the one who came here to shit on this thread with some hot takes. In a thread celebrating some people love of something you came in to make a comment that has nothing to do with the thread. Then you start making passive aggressive posts. Calm down

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
They fixed alot of the lighting issues in AE, whereas regular SFV had terrible character lighting that made models look off

Example

SFVAE_Akuma_vs_Menat.jpg

ar10p3r19piz.png

1_1_2_1.jpg

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
I want a PC that can run the game at highest settings without issues from extended play :[

Ken just needs a new pose on character select screen. Wherever that light source is isn't doing him favors.

Gren

Oct 27, 2017
The games models and animations are top tier. The backgrounds are so early ps3 level characters which ruin a lot of the stages for me... the stages look better when they are empty.
Very much agreed on that. On PC I used to mod the NPCs out, but since so many of the weekly FM missions involve triggering them to do something, I got tired of remembering to toggle them on/off and just let 'em rock.

OP
OP
MrCarter

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I updated the OP with how the SFV team produce the animation in this game.

I would say Necalli would count as at least kind of animalistic but if people want to forget he's in the game I'm good with that too. But ya I can't wait to see Blanka in action either.

Cool thread, OP. And Ken is beautiful you heathens!

I feel like Necalli was this?

I know what you guys mean and I initially thought about this, however although Necalli is "animalistic" he still very much has the body and structure of a human. Blanka is straight up a beast.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
https://www./proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F8rsB4ep.jpg&hash=e443e29a0b4837c1fbb09fd4e62fbc55
Did you think it was clever to post this instead of engaging with my opinion?

There IS such thing as too fluid animation, and animation must match art style for something to work. The opposite of fluid in this context is not stiff animation, it's balanced animation for the art. Not everything flows like water.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I know people shit on it, but I actually like the "clay" look. It would look weird if the character's hair looked realistic instead of solid like clay or plastic. They look like animated action figures.

Yeah, same. The character art style and animation look great to me in that regard. The hair fits the style. The hair complaints seem to miss the point of the style to me.
That's why the V-trigger swirls look like clay-like as well. It's just that some alternate models aren't quite as good and something like Ken's hair could maybe could have been broken down into a couple more pieces to be a tad less chunky, perhaps.

I do think the over filtering on the backgrounds is unnecessary and the 30 fps npcs hurt the overall look though. That's the only thing about the style I don't really like.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
It actually needs numerous gifs to see the greatness of this animationwork.
Females are damn sexy in this game, especially Cammy and Laura are top tier.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Yeah, same. The character art style and animation look great to me in that regard. The hair fits the style. The hair complaints seem to miss the point of the style to me.
That's why the V-trigger swirls look like clay-like as well.
My issue is, for example, that the hair/clothes look like they're made of clay, but move like they are made of hair and fabric. It creates a cognitive dissonance on those physics. It's like it's been animated for another art style (like a normal 3D art style like Tekken), then had the claymation art style added on top.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Did you think it was clever to post this instead of engaging with my opinion?

There IS such thing as too fluid animation, and animation must match art style for something to work. The opposite of fluid in this context is not stiff animation, it's balanced animation for the art. Not everything flows like water.
I engaged your opinion with ample visual evidence, which you disregarded entirely to push whatever it is you tried to push.

If you want to further read my thoughts on the quality of SFV's animation, you can do so here:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...preciation-a-lot-of-gifs-mobile-warning.1856/

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
You should have said animations in your thread title, when you said art I thought you were talking about promotional art or that there was a SFV Artbook
tumblr_njc3f5zmqx1so3jsqo1_1280.jpg

Other than that I agree SFV looks great in motion, with the exception of the stages which I feel look a little lifeless.

UncleMeat

Oct 25, 2017
I know what you guys mean and I initially thought about this, however although Necalli is "animalistic" he still very much has the body and structure of a human. Blanka is straight up a beast.

Ya it's going to be sick, I can't wait. Might even get me to learn to play charge characters now that I know so many people hate playing against Blanka.

Although the more realistic scenario is me getting frustrated and going back to Ken full-time only to face an annoying army of Blankas who I end up hating. Shit...

You sound like you need to chill the fuck out there, guy. You're the one who came here to shit on this thread with some hot takes. In a thread celebrating some people love of something you came in to make a comment that has nothing to do with the thread. Then you start making passive aggressive posts. Calm down

Obviously I'm not as mad as you are and I'm not being passive aggressive about it, I'm being completely forward. SFV's OT is full of dudes who want to make threads about their game where as soon as someone has an opinion that doesn't match theirs they all gang up and never engage in an honest discussion whatsoever. I wouldn't be surprised if the community itself has scared more newcomers away than it has attracted.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I engaged your opinion with ample visual evidence, which you disregarded entirely to push whatever it is you tried to push.

If you want to further read my thoughts on the quality of SFV's animation, you can do so here:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...preciation-a-lot-of-gifs-mobile-warning.1856/
No, you did not. You posted a huge post about animation when I hadn't even stated my opinion on animation specifically (or even mentioned it apart from incidentally saying the OP stated option as fact) but the modelling.

When I then replied to you your post directly addressing the animation, by stating that I didn't think the fluid animation matched the art style, you replied with no real engagement by quoting me out of context with a smarmy neckbeard meme.

Your behaviour in this thread has been extremely rude.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
We just need someone to come in and say they think SFIV looks better, and we can wrap this one up and put a bow on it.

Omar310

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I really like SFV and I play it regularly but I have to say that the visuals are pretty hit or miss. Characters like Chun-Li and Karin look fantastic while some look pretty meh like Alex and Akuma. The game has really high highs but also really low lows.

One thing I hate that I never see mentioned is how weirdly proportioned some of the characters are and I don't just mean the hands and feet. Like, Ken looks so weirdly stocky that it makes him seem kinda short and weird looking which has bothered me since the game came out. Also the hair consistently looks like clay which I can never get over. I guess it's still better than He-Man looking Ken from SFIV.

The music, on the other hand, is fucking god-tier. It's like my third favourite soundtrack of this generation, beaten only by Nier Automata and Persona 5, yet it's rarely ever mentioned.