• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love how OP is using horrible examples.

The fact is, lots of creative within the industry caught the Naughty Dog cancer after TLOU. Check God Of War. What was once a fast, action game-play series with an intentionally fun but over the top story gets streamlined into some slow, repetitive serious cinematic experience.

AH YES, SUCH A REPETITIVE STUPID SERIOUS CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE WITH HARDLY ANY FUN COMBAT DEPTH.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've really yet to see someone say that Sony exclusives are all exactly the same game. I've seen people say that they look "samey" which I take to mean that at a glance, you may not understand what makes each game unique. Based on that, I've seen tons of people like OP who take that statement to an extreme and think it means that all PS4 exclusives are the same game.

I think we just need to chill out and enjoy video games.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
It's obviously an exaggeration, as it's intended as console war trolling, yet there's some truth to it. That's why it works and why there's some defense in return.

If it was just "blatantly false", people wouldn't need to argue against it.

It's just annoying that console wars pollute so much gaming discussion, even around here, because I think there would be a good discussion to be had about some form of gaming homogenization, in particular with "action adventure games", something which yes is not specific to Sony First Party output.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The fact is, lots of creative within the industry caught the Naughty Dog cancer after TLOU. Check God Of War. What was once a fast, action game-play series with an intentionally fun but over the top story gets streamlined into some slow, repetitive serious cinematic experience.
You're getting shit on for this opinion, but I completely agree. As a huge fan of the old God of War games, I didn't even finish the new one, it was just mega-boring to me.

This is more of what I wanted:
1*vJMdgv4iB4c8fjEvjUKU7A.gif

Namdrater

Oct 27, 2017
Berlin / Cape Town
The 'best' PS4 exclusives are all 3rd person action adventures. I'm not saying it's fact that these games are sameish, because obviously they're not; the games all play differently, in different worlds, and they have their own strengths/weaknesses. But I have most certainly experienced high production 3rd person action adventure fatigue. I'm new to PS4 and primarily play on PC. All the highly-rated exclusives that are spoken about are 3rd person action adventures - Spiderman, Bloodborne, Horizon, TLOU, Uncharted4, GoW (these are the ones I've played). Maybe someone can recommend a GOTY title that is vastly different to these?

With a PC, it's hard to justify playing anything on PS4 that isn't exclusive which means I'm going to play the highly rated ones (see the list above) so I admittedly bring the fatigue on myself, but that doesn't mean my PS4 isn't a blockbuster action adventure machine. I play strategy, action rpgs, card games, FPS, etc. on PC, exceptional games spread across many genres.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
They hate us cuz they ain't us.

It's as simple as that. If these were Nintendo, pc or xbox exclusives you would see people falling over themselves trying to praise them.

That said, Sony fucked up big time by not investing in any first person shooters this gen. Last gen they had 3 resistance games, 2 kz games and mag. Warhawk wasn't first person but it was brilliant. This gen all we got was a bad kz game. Shutting down zipper, incognito and gg Cambridge who made the awesome kz mercnary is inexcusable for an industry-leading first party.
Yea,it's a tricky one with so many third parties pushing FPS games,I guess the thinking right now at Sony is just let them get on with it.

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
I just wish Sony put more of its marketing heft behind titles that don't fit snugly inside the 'PlayStation Template'. The treatment of Gravity Rush and Astro Bot prior to release was kind of shitty for instance. Kudos for actually making the games, but if you're not going to put the effort in to alert the general public of their existence then they're dead out of the gate. Let's not forget how cruelly snubbed at E3 Gravity Rush was. There is certainly diversity among Sony's first-party offerings, but it kinda sucks that the real big bucks are generally afforded to your Days Gones and Horizons and Uncharteds.

Fund more 3D platformers you cowards. With a fucking budget behind them!
This is exactly the problem.

People argue with Gravity Rush and Astro Bot; but those games had zero marketing budget, had like a 15 second trailer at E3; while the "SCU" type games got all the airtime. At this year's Sony's not E3 presentation, you'll see the focus on TLOU2 and Days Gone (which looks terrible) in spite of all the other great games they have. Maybe they'll talk a little about Dreams; not much more.

That people think most Sony's games look samey is Sony's fault alone.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Which exclusive am I describing? 3rd person action-adventure where you hide in bushes and cover for a large amount of time.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Then you also have to distinguish that God of War is a character action game, TLOU is a stealth/survival horror game, uncharted is a third person shooter and horizon is an open world action adventure.
Those definitions are a bit reaching, but anyway that doesn´t go against admitting that all are single player, 3rd person, realistic looking, narrative-driven games. Just like most Nintendo games share a similar simpler and colorful aesthetic and are gameplay-based with little or no focus on story. And there´s nothing wrong with either of these things.

Usul

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Dune
AH YES, SUCH A REPETITIVE STUPID SERIOUS CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE WITH HARDLY ANY FUN COMBAT DEPTH.

What does that video even prove? It's fact a lot of newer games have combat systems that are unnecessarily in-depth. Look at Spider-Man. I bet 90% of the player-base for that game mashed the basic combo and triangle. Going on YouTube and typing in "GOD OF WAR COMBO" and then linking it doesn't really do anything for whatever you're trying to say.

That's just a video for style points. When I watched multiple streamers play and replay the game, I never saw people bother to do anything that stylish. Just like how MGR had juggle properties and BM resets that only 0.2% of the people that played game ever knew about - because it's pointless.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
its the same thing as when people say xbox only has shooters or only puts out the same 3 games every year.

its console war crap

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What does that video even prove? It's fact a lot of newer games have combat systems that are unnecessarily in-depth. Look at Spider-Man. I bet 90% of the player-base for that game mashed the basic combo and triangle. Going on YouTube and typing in "GOD OF WAR COMBO" and then linking it doesn't really do anything for whatever you're trying to say.

That's just a video for style points. When I watched multiple streamers play and replay the game, I never saw people bother to do anything that stylish. Just like how MGR had juggle properties and BM resets that only 0.2% of the people that played game ever knew about - because it's pointless.

So like the old trilogy then?

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Last Of Us, Uncharted 4, God of War are all cinematic single player third person action adventure games with QTEs and heavy on the character driven cutscenes. If you can't see the similarity you aren't trying very hard.

Horizon and Spider Man also have some simlarites

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
The Last Of Us, Uncharted 4, God of War are all cinematic single player third person action adventure games with QTEs and heavy on the character driven cutscenes. If you can't see the similarity you aren't trying very hard.

Horizon and Spider Man also have some simlarites
So is Bloodborne, MLB, GT Sport, The last guardian, Detroit, until dawn, gravity rush 2 very similar to the ones you listed? Nope.

Oct 27, 2017

You do know that old God of War games were just like this right? All people did was mash the same combo and everything.

The video the other member posted was to show how God of War 4 isn't like what was described.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You platform in zelda Xp
Would you describe Zelda as a platformer?
Would you describe GoW/Uncharted/TLoU as a singleplayer 3rd person, realistic-looking, narrative-driven game?
If you want to look for a comparative simile you could say 3D Mario and Zelda are 3rd person gameplay-based cartoony looking games, but saying they´re both platformers is even worse than saying all Sony exclusives are the same.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gravity Rush 2, last Guardian, Uncharted 4, all basically identical

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Can we, as a community, stop using the word cancer to describe these types of things? It's always struck me as gross and immature. Regardless of how you feel about ND's output, and it seems that you feel pretty negative towards it, using that type of language to me is beyond the pale. Basically grow up.

Not exactly, if you want to talk about "game-play depth" then the challenges / trials from the older games alone are more mechanically demanding than anything from the new game. Good thing "game-play depth" was never apart of my original comparison.

I guess you haven't tried Sigrun on the hardest difficulty if you feel this is true.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Even if they were all the same, which they aren't, there aren't that many other publishers making games like them so...

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
It's no different to people claiming that the market is "flooded" with FPS games (singleplayer FPS games have always been relatively rare and they have grown even rarer in recent years). Some people think that FPS games all look and play the same. A lot of people think that, for example, something like Perfect Dark or GoldenEye is no different to Halo. This makes no sense to anyone familiar with how they actually play, but gamers love being reductive. For example, some people felt that Battlefield: Hardline was a "reskin" of Battlefield 4. Battlefield 4 was an FPS game where you basically walked down a wide corridor and shot things. Hardline was essentially a stealth game. That encouraged players to not shoot people. With frequent bouts of branching and non-linear level design.

You know this one game that is all about shooting people and this other game that is specifically about not shooting people if you can avoid it? Yea, they're totes the same.

I think that there is, however a grain of truth to the idea that a lot of Sony's games are shoehorned into a particular mold. What do I mean by this? You know how there's a new Perfect Dark coming? Well, it's very telling that some people's idea -- particularly on Era -- of the best way to bring back Perfect Dark sounds an awful lot like wanting Microsoft to make a game cynically designed to compete with Sony's games. They want it to be third person. They want it to have a stealth focus. They want it to focus on its protagonist and try to make her "iconic". They want it to focus on her life struggles, basically.

What's curious is that Sony do make first person games. But they're almost all VR games now. There is a bit of a third person fixation in sections of the current gaming market. People being vocally "disappointed" that Cyberpunk 2077 was an FPS game instead of a TPS game is an example of that. They wanted Cyberpunk 2077 to be a certain kind of game. This kind of game could be crudely distilled down to a bunch of adjectives like "third person cinematic action game with RPG elements", to be deeply reductive.

Here's what I wonder to myself sometimes: If a Sony-owned studio wanted to make System Shock 3 with a different name, would they make something like Prey (or Alien: Isolation for the PSVR audience), or would they make something like Dead Space? Would Sony nudge them to steer away from first person perspective, and gameplay with a late 90s PC mindset in favor of over the shoulder third person shooter action with a cinematic camera that never cuts? Would Sony have greenlit Horizon: Zero Dawn if it had been a Far Cry: Primal-esque first person title? Still have a great female protagonist, but you never see her face ingame because all the cutscenes are first person. Would Sony be okay with that?

If a Sony studio came to Sony and said, "We want to make a game that's basically STALKER with another name," would Sony greenlight that? Or would Sony want the game to be pushed into some kind of third person open world post-apocalyptic third person shooter with a cinematic presentation and a strongly defined protagonist mold? I guess we may never know. Most of this stuff is firmly behind closed doors.

Would Sony today make another first person Killzone? And you could also argue this is why it hasn't made another SOCOM. I think the closest thing Sony has right now to a major first party multiplayer shooter is Uncharted multiplayer. And maybe Sony just decided to let the third parties handle multiplayer while it provides the singleplayer story-focused games third parties are making less o f these days. I think I also heard somewhere else (I think it was John Davison on a podcast) say Sony does this because it sells better in Europe, which is one reason Microsoft is weaker than Sony in continental Europe.

The title doesn't portray the argument accurately, it's more about first party games and many of those being quite similar in their core not entirely the same. Just like with Ubisoft, not all Ubisoft games are exactly the same, but there are many similarities across many of their biggest titles. No different to Sony first party. If one recognizes the similarities with many Ubi games, I don't know how they could argue otherwise about Sony first party. Personally I don't have an issue with either tbh, they both do well what they are best known for. Ubi is known for open world action and Sony for cinematic action. But in addition they do take some risks with their other games and also develop/publish interesting smaller titles that have nothing in common with their flagship franchises. It doesn't have to be some inflammatory thing. Now of course if someone says "Ubi only does open world games and those are all the same" or "Sony only does cinematic action games and those are all the same", they would be wrong (there's been people saying those things). But saying that many of their flagship games share a lot core similarities is accurate. If it's a bad thing or not, is ofc dependant on personal preferences.

While I'm not as critical as some people in this thread like Usul, generally I agree that maybe the OP didn't entirely understand the argument being talked about here. I'd say maybe half the examples the OP listed fit into the "mold" people talk about when they say a lot of Sony's own games are similar, and they're really just talking about first-party-developed games, which wouldn't include Bloodborne.

Oct 27, 2017
Not exactly, if you want to talk about "game-play depth" then the challenges / trials from the older games alone are more mechanically demanding than anything from the new game. Good thing "game-play depth" was never apart of my original comparison.
Sorry but this is bullshit.

I replayed the whole franchise before God of War 4 came out and it was much more harder in God of War 4. The enemies and the bosses were so much more advanced it is not even funny.

Add to the fact that God of War 4 allows you to customise your character in many different ways and you will realize it is much much more deeper than the Greek games.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Fairly broad range of 1st /2nd party exclusives over the last few years

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While I'm not as critical as some people in this thread like Usul, generally I agree that maybe the OP didn't entirely understand the argument being talked about here. I'd say maybe half the examples the OP listed fit into the "mold" people talk about when they say a lot of Sony's own games are similar, and they're really just talking about first-party-developed games, which wouldn't include Bloodborne.

That's like saying that Smash isn't a first party developed game, a distinction which really doesn't have much point even if it's true.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It's a baseless statement and honestly belittles the insane amount of work that every person puts in to these games to make them all look and play differently.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
They dont cover all genres, and they do seem to concentrate on making emotionally manipulative 10-30 hour 3rd person AAA games with super predictable gameplay. So, I do get the complaint even if many don't.

However, they do do vr.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Isn't there truth to this especially because of PS4? PS3 doesn't do this; this notion never came up in PS3 gen It's clear Sony's priorities have shifted this gen. It's not bad per se, there just isn't as much variety in the big guns...

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Did we play the same God of War?

Old games were narrative driven cinematic action games. The new ones are still the same but they made it RPG semi open world. And it is still fast and I would say more intense compared to the past games.

Ok, I was thinking the exact same thing. Either that or some ppl gave up on it waaaay too soon.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is exactly the problem.

People argue with Gravity Rush and Astro Bot; but those games had zero marketing budget, had like a 15 second trailer at E3; while the "SCU" type games got all the airtime. At this year's Sony's not E3 presentation, you'll see the focus on TLOU2 and Days Gone (which looks terrible) in spite of all the other great games they have. Maybe they'll talk a little about Dreams; not much more.

That people think most Sony's games look samey is Sony's fault alone.
But Days Gone wasnt even at their E3 conference this year. It was relegated to a gameinformer 1 hour youtube video. This year they focused on TLOU2, Ghost of Tshushima, Death Stranding and Spiderman. One is a linear third person shooter, one is an open world third person melee action Samurai game, one is a third person open world super hero game that plays and moves unlike anything else in their first party, and Death Stranding is an open world third person walking simulator.

It's not Sony's fault that hardcore gamers cant differentiate between melee action games and shooters. You dont go blaming Einstein and Newton for people not understanding the difference between science and math. It's the person's fault for being ignorant and foolish.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
That's like saying that Smash isn't a first party developed game, a distinction which really doesn't have much point even if it's true.

And yet the most recent Smash games are following a gameplay template initially set by Nintendo and HAL, and you can't deny Sakurai has his own "style" of making games that you can see across Smash, Kid Icarus Uprising, and Meteos.

It's pretty easy to see Sony simply bankrolled another effort from From Software to make more of the kind of RPG it's been ma king for the last 10 years. I also already noted that nowhere near "all" of Sony-published games follow this "mold" we're discussion. It's really just Sony's biggest releases from its western internal studios. What some people are pointing out is that the OP didn't seem to understand specifically which Sony games people are comparing in this argument.

I also wouldn't count Death Stranding either because we don't know what the fuck that is yet.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
But Days Gone wasnt even at their E3 conference this year. It was relegated to a gameinformer 1 hour youtube video. This year they focused on TLOU2, Ghost of Tshushima, Death Stranding and Spiderman. One is a linear third person shooter, one is an open world third person melee action Samurai game, one is a third person open world super hero game that plays and moves unlike anything else in their first party, and Death Stranding is an open world third person walking simulator.

It's not Sony's fault that hardcore gamers cant differentiate between melee action games and shooters. You dont go blaming Einstein and Newton for people not understanding the difference between science and math. It's the person's fault for being ignorant and foolish.

Tlou2, ghosts, and spiderman are all one-and-done story arpgs with a heavy emphasis on actors and story. Can you not see how some folks see that as samey? And I dont think Death is a Sony game anymore than rise of the tomb raider was an MS game.

Usul

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Dune
Sorry but this is bullshit.

I replayed the whole franchise before God of War 4 came out and it was much more harder in God of War 4. The enemies and the bosses were so much more advanced it is not even funny.

Add to the fact that God of War 4 allows you to customise your character in many different ways and you will realize it is much much more deeper than the Greek games.

Why are you bringing in the "difficulty" argument now when I was talking about "game-play depth" mechanics within what you quoted?

You can't compare a boss or enemy AI that you can mash away at that has a move-set of about 4-5 moves at most, to a mode where you're forced to play the game differently and actually utilize the game's "game-play depth" requiring more mechanics.

Stop bringing in unrelated arguments and read what I'm actually talking about.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Factually incorrect. How far did you get in the new GoW?