• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
That would suck ass. I don't want Game Pass or any subscription model influencing game design. GaaS is already too much right now.

This is the reality of the games industry I'm afraid. We've gone through various shifts of delivery system and technology and monetisation and every one has had an effect. It's never all good and it's never all bad, there will be winners and losers. Certain types of games which will be less viable, and certain types which will be more. I'd say there are two obvious things to be optimistic about:

1) Game Pass will moderate risk for developers as you're less dependent on a successful launch
2) Game Pass will punish games that traditionally sold on hype and disappointed

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I don't think I've ever scrutinized something that benefits me as a consumer as hard as some of you have. Too much time on your hands.
100% agree. The concern over game pass is just a weird take overall. I don't get it or probably ever will. Its the best value in gaming this entire generation in my opinion.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
This is the reality of the games industry I'm afraid. We've gone through various shifts of delivery system and technology and monetisation and every one has had an effect. It's never all good and it's never all bad, there will be winners and losers. Certain types of games which will be less viable, and certain types which will be more. I'd say there are two obvious things to be optimistic about:

1) Game Pass will moderate risk for developers as you're less dependent on a successful launch
2) Game Pass will punish games that traditionally sold on hype and disappointed

I can give you another, it allows Microsoft to try riskier or more inventive games because they don't need to worry about how that game will sell.

Oct 25, 2017
I can give you another, it allows Microsoft to try riskier or more inventive games because they don't need to worry about how that game will sell.

You don't need Game Pass to do this if you budget properly. Look at what Nintendo is doing with smaller exclusives like Astral Chain. They definitely aren't going to start making AAA games that wouldn't viable otherwise because of Game Pass. Those type of games will still be allocated resources appropriately for the expected return.

Oct 25, 2017
That would make some sense if all you care about are the Microsoft day one releases. Didn't DMC5 just join Game Pass? You know, the game with no DLC that fans can't stop begging to get one expansion at least?

My time with Game Pass has been spent like 10% with Gears and 90% with third party titles that I didn't play yet for some reason or another, like Abzu, Tomb Raider or Blazing Chrome.

Oct 25, 2017
Game pass offers up a pretty good value, but it doesn't take a genius to realize the model works better with MP or GaaS games than it does with AAA single player games. It becoming the main way to play games would be awful for game quality in the industry. What would even encourage publishers to make amazing games if they're not pressured to sell x million copies?

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Game pass offers up a pretty good value, but it doesn't take a genius to realize the model works better with MP or GaaS games than it does with AAA single player games. It becoming the main way to play games would be awful for game quality in the industry. What would even encourage publishers to make amazing games if they're not pressured to sell x million copies?

Who would subscribe to a service with only low quality games?

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
This thread treats traditional gaming and GaaS as an EITHER or an OR thing. It's not especially with 'realities of modern gaming'. Both will co-exist for the foreseeable future. OP is not critically thinking this through.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see your point OP.

GamePass isn't any more conducive to incomplete GaaS games than it is to games that are fully featured and functional upon release.

Its success is at least partially contingent to it offering a variety of games across the design spectrum. Everything from linear single player games, to grindy GaaS games, and everything in between.

What's most important is that they have another game waiting for in the catalog when your finished with one. They don't need to only offer games designed to be played indefinitely- that notion doesn't even make sense. People have limits to the number of GaaS games they can focus on. If that's all they offered, then their would be no value in subbing- people would just buy the one game that's eating all of their time.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
If Microsoft has to adjust the business model of game pass for some reason that it is not working, then we'll come to those issues. Stuff like mtx, dlc, etc have been here way longer before game pass.

Daebo

Oct 26, 2017
Cincinnati
Some of you all are crazy. The market will always fix itself. If GP gets shitty, and ends up delivering subpar games, people will unsubscribe.

Luckily you can still buy 3rd party games if GP is not for you. Additionally, there is the Sony and Nintendo systems still. That's going to push MS to keep delivering a worthwhile product or people will leave.

The industry is better with a healthy 3 system market that is offering different experiences.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
If anything it's better to play these barebones or "broken" games on a subscription service because there's no commitment or initial investment. OP would have an argument if it was only Game Pass where these issues were happening but as we all know we've had a ton of full priced titles that have launched with weak content or major issues.

Pyke Presco

Dec 3, 2017
Remember the good old days when you rented a game from blockbuster on Friday night for $9.99 and had to bring it back on Monday?

Now you get to do that for a month for the same price. Except instead of one game, you get something like 80 or 100 or whatever. And you can cancel at any point, just like Netflix. If you're like me, you'll just let the subscription keep going, because odds are there's always at least something you can play even if it's not the great game that $60 would have bought you. But hey, I get to play a bunch of games for 6 months for the price of that one game.

I don't know. It seems like a fine deal to me.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
After reading the OP, I'm not even sure if the OP expects me to take them seriously or not.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Why are you saying that GaaS titles are bare-bone? Because of the SFV and GTS launches?
Assassin's Creed Odyssey could be a GaaS title, No Man's Sky as wellcinsudetung the updates,, but they're certainly not lacking content.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget that services like GamePass are going to encourage even more egregious and aggressive monetization to make up the revenue from lost retail sales and to compensate for the impermanence of having to compete in a "pass" ecosystem, and thus will change how games are made to promote short bursts of gameplay and direct players to paying for MTX.

What if these companies make more money with a subscription model then without?

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
Starting to move on from being concerned about Game Pass to fanboys literally just making shit up about it because it's a Microsoft product.

Cool. Cool.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
You don't need Game Pass to do this if you budget properly. Look at what Nintendo is doing with smaller exclusives like Astral Chain. They definitely aren't going to start making AAA games that wouldn't viable otherwise because of Game Pass. Those type of games will still be allocated resources appropriately for the expected return.

In what way is Astral Chain a risky game? Again though budget has to be recouped or you don't make more games. If Game Pass what a thing when Sunset Overdrive launched my bet is we'd have seen a sequel because it was a well received game that just didn't sell. If it launched on Game Pass it would have done much better.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you OP I don't think the gamepass model will be good for people who like single player games. At the same time waiting until a game is 10$ on Steam before buying it might also not be what's best for this industry

Gamepass is loaded with Single Player games. I'm not sure how this argument makes any sense.

Don't forget that services like GamePass are going to encourage even more egregious and aggressive monetization to make up the revenue from lost retail sales and to compensate for the impermanence of having to compete in a "pass" ecosystem, and thus will change how games are made to promote short bursts of gameplay and direct players to paying for MTX.

Nah this is slippery slope fallacy.

Publishers are paid by MS to appear on the service, and usually sign on when their game has already reached the end of its natural retail life. They get a windfall of cash they otherwise wouldn't be getting.

Those who appear during their retail window are paid by MS to offset the loss of retail revenues.

So outside of MS, publishers aren't losing their retail profits so there's no need to design their games around such losses. And MS makes up those cost via the royalties they get - which is the same exact percentage they've been asking since forever, but they benefit from the higher volumes.

Aside from a few first party titles a year, Gamepass isn't replacing retail, it's replacing the used game section at retail.

Last edited:

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
more and more games shifting to GaaS during the advent of game subscriptions is a feature, not a bug

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
This is one of those round peg/square hole kind of posts. You're trying to define the game pass in one specific way (the whole industry, frankly): as a conduit for broken, just-released GaaS content. But that's ignoring all of the other content on the game pass. So far on the Game Pass I've played Blazing Chrome, Age of Empires Definitive Edition, Sunset Overdrive, Gears of War 4, Gears 5, Wargroove. I've also tried Void Bastards and Night Call. Many of those games are older, some are small budget indies, and most of them are as far from AAA GaaS titles as possible.

I certainly hope that the industry isn't thinking of GaaS titles in the way that you are, because only a certain number can afford to be sustained by the market. Lots of people don't even want GaaS games. I think Game Pass is designed to try to cater just enough to most audiences. For many committed to certain GaaS games like Destiny 2 they probably want to drag them in as a cheap way for those people to try other games they'd normally ignore.

Basically I think your whole premise is flawed.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
lol...ok, bud. Squeeze your 'MICROTRANSACTIONS ALL BAD!' ranting into a new thread.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Gamepass is loaded with Single Player games. I'm not sure how this argument makes any sense.

Nah this is slippery slope fallacy.

Publishers are paid by MS to appear on the service, and usually sign on when their hands has already reached the end of its natural retail life.

Those who appear earlier are paid by MS to offset the loss of retail.

So outside of MS, publishers aren't losing their retail profits do theirs no need to design their games around those losses. And MS makes up those losses via the royalties they get - which is the same exact percentage they've been asking since forever.

The effect on "singleplayer" games (if it happens at all) won't be seen for a while, Game Pass is still in its infancy. I'm not 100% sure how viable these lesser or "AA" SP only games are in the long run when people know they'll end up on a subscription service within a year. I have no idea how much Microsoft pays for these lower profile titles but maybe it's enough for them since they probably wouldn't have sold that many copies in the first place. For a subscription service on paper it does make more sense to make a game you can keep going back to as opposed to a 5-10 hour "one and done". I'm sure we will have both though since you obviously still need variety.

I will say Horizon 4 definitely does feel a little bit like a game that was designed for Game Pass and long term retention (as opposed to a game that people will play the shit out of for a month but never touch again). The whole seasons concept and the weekly championships is clearly something that is meant to keep you coming back. To even see every season in the game you have to have it for a month minimum and if you want to play it again you have to wait another one. Also the tacked on cosmetics that are only attainable through RNG wheelspins basically.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
A lot of games in this current climate have been shifting, and will continue shifting, to a GaaS model, or otherwise have elements of said service games. Publishers plan and design their games out for you to play them long term, for months at a time, adding content as they go along, Microsoft amongst them. What this translates to is that you're left with many games that feel barebones at launch, light in content until they get fleshed out with regular updates, as they're designed to be. Destiny and Microsoft's own Sea of Thieves are great examples of games that eventually got it together, but the day one experience for those games were lacking.
Yeah there have been quite a few games that launched with barebones content and tried to compensate for that via "Roadmaps", but how is this a negative for a GP subscriber? If anything this is a positive, as a GP sub is 10/15$ while a new game is 60$. So I just don't get it.
Furthermore, with the way game development has ballooned into massive undertakings in resources, many games nowadays just don't work as intended at release. Day one patches have become the norm in this industry, and often that is never enough. Gears 5, for example, despite being a massive hit for Xbox Game Pass, has been marred with technical issues including but not limited to missing assets, server issues, audio issues, AI pathfinding issues, missing collectables, stuck animations, and literal gamebreaking bugs in the campaign that block progress. All of this provided you were fortunate enough to even get Xbox Live to work. The service has had issues ever since launch, and I'm wary thinking about how badly it will buckle with the release of Halo Infinite. This kind of thing isn't some uncommon exception; major releases tend to have rough launches, riddled with bugs until they're eventually ironed out over the following weeks and months.
Once again, if a game launches a buggy mess and doesn't work until X weeks of patches, how is paying 10/15$ for GP is worse than dropping 60$ for it?
Besides that, the network resources issues will be ironed out by MS, there is no indication that they will continue to have these issues with every game release.
Now, you might be saying "but Neat, games launching light on content and plagued with issues is hardly limited to Xbox Game Pass". Or you might be one of the wasteyutes bloviating "tough nuts Neat, if you don't like it, don't sub until after that shit gets fixed". All of that goes back to what I was saying earlier. This is a service explicitly pushed to get you on board long term. There's no "sub later", you are already subbed. This is also a service specifically marketed around having a low barrier of entry to get you to play the latest hot new game. And that game you're playing is missing a ton of content, recycles a bunch of quests to pad its length, and hell it probably doesn't even have an ending fam, and that's assuming the game will even let you play ball and get past its technical issues to get to that point. Put another way, the draw and appeal of Xbox Game Pass really doesn't jive with the gaming landscape in this day and age
MS went on an acquisition spree recently and will probably continue adding more studios to their lineup, their strategy as of right now is to release a new title about every quarter (rather than grindy games) , Mike Ybarra said so explicitly, so why bother make wrong and wild speculations about their strategy when we already know it?

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
The effect on "singleplayer" games (if it happens at all) won't be seen for a while, Game Pass is still in its infancy. I'm not 100% sure how viable these lesser or "AA" SP only games are in the long run when people know they'll end up on a subscription service within a year. I have no idea how much Microsoft pays for these lower profile titles but maybe it's enough for them since they probably wouldn't have sold that many copies in the first place. For a subscription service on paper it does make more sense to make a game you can keep going back to as opposed to a 5-10 hour "one and done". I'm sure we will have both though since you obviously still need variety.

I will say Horizon 4 definitely does feel a little bit like a game that was designed for Game Pass and long term retention (as opposed to a game that people will play the shit out of for a month but never touch again). The whole seasons concept and the weekly championships is clearly something that is meant to keep you coming back. To even see every season in the game you have to have it for a month minimum and if you want to play it again you have to wait another one. Also the tacked on cosmetics that are only attainable through RNG wheelspins basically.

Why do you think people will have that apathetic approach to SP but not any other game? What's the basis?

Someone saying I'll wait for that single player game to land on Gamepass is no different from someone saying I'll wait for that single player game to drop in price and/or land in the used games bin EXCEPT when it lands on Gamepass it results in another windfall for the dev/publisher. this is a bonus for SP devs And should make smaller, finite experiences MORE attractive.

I'm not sure why people argue GaaS games are "designed" for Gamepass. Gamepass is perfect for people who want to consume more concise experiences. Once your done with one experience there's plenty more to choose from.

Having GP just be loaded with GaaS would be self-defeating. Most People can only devote time one GaaS game at a time- many of the play one game at at time.

why would GaaS players, notorious for devoting all their time to just one or two games, be the main target for a service who's main attraction is the sheer number of games to choose from?

Furthermore, why would GaaS gamers choose Gamepass when they can devote all their money to that one game they play?

Nah- the biggest draw of Gamepass is the every growing variety. So it'll appeal most to people who want a lot of different things to choose from.

Last edited:

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Game pass IS the game as a service. It's the flawless way to turn non-service games INTO a service.

Single player RPGs with no DLC, are now service-ized by being on gamepass.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The way games are designed now, with prolonged engagement, surely makes them a good fit for Game Pass?

They want to keep you subscribed, right? One way to do that is with a good stream of new content. But the other way is to keep the existing content relevant.

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
Why do you think people will have that apathetic approach to SP but not any other game? What's the basis?

Someone saying I'll wait for that single player game to land on Gamepass is no different from someone saying I'll wait for that single player game to drop in price and/or land in the used games bin EXCEPT when it lands on Gamepass it results in another windfall for the dev/publisher. this is a bonus for SP devs And should make smaller, finite experiences MORE attractive.

I'm not sure why people argue GaaS games are "designed" for Gamepass. Gamepass is perfect for people who want to consume more concise experiences. Once your done with one experience there's plenty more to choose from.

Having GP just be loaded with GaaS would be self-defeating. Most People can only devote time one GaaS game at a time- many of the play one game at at time.

why would GaaS players, notorious for devoting all their time to just one or two games, be the main target for a service who's main attraction is the sheer number of games to choose from?

Furthermore, why would GaaS gamers choose Gamepass when they can devote all their money to that one game they play?

Nah- the biggest draw of Gamepass is the every growing variety. So it'll appeal most to people who want a lot of different things to choose from.
exactly how I feel

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Neat I've read through your OP twice, and I've still not understood your point or why you've concluded what you did.

For a start, I'd argue Game Pass is actually ideally suited to GaaS models. In-fact, Microsoft will likely heavily rely on them for longer term subscriber retention.

Whilst someone could sign up for a single month of Game Pass to bang out several single player titles they were interested in and then simply unsubscribe the next month, with long term GaaS games they're less likely to, as the constant flow of updates and content is more likely to keep them playing for longer, and thus subbing for longer too.

Obviously the other addition to that is volume of content in and of itself. Game Pass will need to be stacked with content to keep users using the service month after month, and thus maintaining a longer term subscription.

Dec 31, 2017
Starting to move on from being concerned about Game Pass to fanboys literally just making shit up about it because it's a Microsoft product.

Cool. Cool.
There is no concern here; Gamepass is a popular service and has great quality AAA games that are not GaaS or low quality like some of the people in here seem to suggest, and I don't see any of the upcoming first party games being GaaS either so OP has it completely wrong.

Also, have you even tried Gamepass? People see Gears5 being the big game right now and it has a few loot boxes and now it's: Oh, gotta be concerned, all games are GaaS on Gamepass and they are also all low quality games. It's not about being a fanboy or anything, the service had/has high quality AAA games and only a minority are GaaS. Maybe people should stop with the concerned trolling, pay 2$ to actually try the service, and realize they've been wrong all this time.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Business chatter aside, anyone on Game Pass should check out Creature In The Well on there that was just added. This is a small indie game with a current 76 Metacritic (shows that doesn't mean everything for me at least) that has really pulled me in after I checked it out today once I completed the campaign on Gears 5 and was waiting to play some Gears multiplayer later. It is a pinball/hack and slash/dungeon crawler/Journey vibe game that is one of the reason I love Game Pass so much to be able to play so many big AAA games and such interesting games such as this one.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Neat I've read through your OP twice, and I've still not understood your point or why you've concluded what you did.

For a start, I'd argue Game Pass is actually ideally suited to GaaS models. In-fact, Microsoft will likely heavily rely on them for longer term subscriber retention.

Whilst someone could sign up for a single month of Game Pass to bang out several single player titles they were interested in and then simply unsubscribe the next month, with long term GaaS games they're less likely to, as the constant flow of updates and content is more likely to keep them playing for longer, and thus subbing for longer too.

Obviously the other addition to that is volume of content in and of itself. Game Pass will need to be stacked with content to keep users using the service month after month, and thus maintaining a longer term subscription.

No, the opposite is true. The type of gamer who devotes all their time to just one or two GaaS games won't get any value out of gamepass. The draw of Gamepass is the larger variety of games. Why would someone keep subbing if they just want to play the same game every month.

There will obviously be GaaS games on the service- simply because all types of games will find an audience on the service. But gamepass will be most attractive to those who want to play new things every month.

As long as there are more, interesting SP games to play the following month, a SP focused gamer isn't going to unsubscribe.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, the opposite is true. The type of gamer who devotes all their time to just one or two GaaS games won't get any value out of gamepass. The draw of Gamepass is the larger variety of games. Why would someone keep subbing if they just one want to play the same game every month.

There will obviously be GaaS games on the service- simply because all types of games will find an audience on the service. But gamepass will be most attractive to those who want to play new things every month.

I'd argue it's a bit of both. For example, people will play Gears 5 and Halo Infinite for several months, not dissimilar to Sea of Thieves or Forza Horizon 4, and part of the reason for that is going to be the constant flow of new updates and content. But simultaneously they may alternate between other games on the service in between, which is where the variety element comes in to play.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Any way you slice it, Microsoft has crafted an excellent service in Xbox Game Pass. The value proposition is undeniable, which is why many of us have several years of the service stocked up. You have a huge library of titles, get to play brand new full-price games the day they hit retail, and Microsoft has recently expanded it to PC in an official capacity, with xcloud in the works giving you more options to play than ever before. So everything's peachy, right?

Consider the following:

1. Microsoft wants consumers to sub long term. Yes they have promotions for you to get on board for $1 a month or $2 for two, but what they really want to sell are those year-long subscriptions. They even recently let you convert up to 3 years worth of Live or Game Pass to Game Pass Ultimate. Like any company wanting to maximize profits, they want you in their ecosystem for the long haul.

2. A big marketing point for them is to have games available on Game Pass day and date with their retail releases. They entice this further by offering "ultimate" editions of games for Game Pass subscribers, as is the case with Gears 5. If the numbers are any indication, a lot of people have been playing the game, making it Microsoft's most-played first party effort in years. And why shouldn't they? Getting to play a brand new $60 release on day one for $10 or $15 a month (even less if you're on a promotional price) is a great deal.

Here's the problem.

A lot of games in this current climate have been shifting, and will continue shifting, to a GaaS model, or otherwise have elements of said service games. Publishers plan and design their games out for you to play them long term, for months at a time, adding content as they go along, Microsoft amongst them. What this translates to is that you're left with many games that feel barebones at launch, light in content until they get fleshed out with regular updates, as they're designed to be. Destiny and Microsoft's own Sea of Thieves are great examples of games that eventually got it together, but the day one experience for those games were lacking.

Furthermore, with the way game development has ballooned into massive undertakings in resources, many games nowadays just don't work as intended at release. Day one patches have become the norm in this industry, and often that is never enough. Gears 5, for example, despite being a massive hit for Xbox Game Pass, has been marred with technical issues including but not limited to missing assets, server issues, audio issues, AI pathfinding issues, missing collectables, stuck animations, and literal gamebreaking bugs in the campaign that block progress. All of this provided you were fortunate enough to even get Xbox Live to work. The service has had issues ever since launch, and I'm wary thinking about how badly it will buckle with the release of Halo Infinite. This kind of thing isn't some uncommon exception; major releases tend to have rough launches, riddled with bugs until they're eventually ironed out over the following weeks and months.

Now, you might be saying "but Neat, games launching light on content and plagued with issues is hardly limited to Xbox Game Pass". Or you might be one of the wasteyutes bloviating "tough nuts Neat, if you don't like it, don't sub until after that shit gets fixed". All of that goes back to what I was saying earlier. This is a service explicitly pushed to get you on board long term. There's no "sub later", you are already subbed. This is also a service specifically marketed around having a low barrier of entry to get you to play the latest hot new game. And that game you're playing is missing a ton of content, recycles a bunch of quests to pad its length, and hell it probably doesn't even have an ending fam, and that's assuming the game will even let you play ball and get past its technical issues to get to that point. Put another way, the draw and appeal of Xbox Game Pass really doesn't jive with the gaming landscape in this day and age
Sea of Thieves and State of Decay II had to release because Microsoft had nothing in the pipeline. It is nothing to do with the service. To give an example, Gran Turismo Sport launched with less content than Forza Motorsport 5 did, and that was a launch title.It launched at roughly the same time as Forza Motorsport 7, and with the addition to content, still does not come close.

We have seen Call of Duty move from having a piecemeal campaign to not having one at all. We have seen Battlefield have a mess of a release and slowly look to add features. We have seen games like Fallout 76, Destiny, Anthem all release half baked......is that not modern gaming?

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I hate getting access to a wide range of current games for a reasonable price.

The GaaS argument is flipping ridiculous when you consider one game along with it's season pass is likely going to be similar cost to a year of Gamepass. Going into the issues with Gears at release and trying to attribute them to Gamepass is even more so.