• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I can because I own them but it's kind of lame they'll be removed for new buyers. I mean it's not the end of the world, but also not very cool to see digital games being handled that way. The classic versions should still be available
They're the same games with QoL improvements and compatibility patches

Your "preservation" argument is nill as the games are preserved

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
On the preservation front, this might be the time to buy all the games on GOG if you haven't already. Sadly, they're not part of the GOG Summer Sale (possibly because Ubisoft knew this announcement was coming and didn't want to encourage people to buy the old versions?). The announcement doesn't say anything about whether the originals will also be pulled off GOG as well; considering GOG isn't getting the new games as far as we know, it seems like it might be possible you'll be able to buy the originals through GOG indefinitely, but I'm not holding my breath.

Back to the new versions: I guess since Steam only ever got Anno 1404 that it's fine that it's also the only one that gets a Steam version, but it's still kind of shitty. With Anno 1800 not making an appearance on Steam either I guess this isn't entirely unexpected. Setting the storefront issue aside, this is a neat thing that I wouldn't have expected, even with the higher profile Anno has nowadays. I never did get very far into the older Anno games (never mind the newer ones) so I'll be interested in picking up the whole collection at some point, if 1602/1503 are really that difficult to get running on modern PCs.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
In what way? Did they start the documentation with "Herst, Gschissana!"?

Man, I'm kinda imagining a full tech docu in viennese dialect now

EDIT: Oh, I see they were from Styria at the border to Salzburg. Even funnier now.

Indeed, they were based in Styria. Let's just say that they did not necessarily use the terminology one should be using today for documenting code :)

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
This is coming out today, right? Haven't actually played any of the games of the Anno series (though bought 1800 in the Epic sale recently), but I like the city-building genre, any recommendations?