• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
You've never heard of "Ja-fa?"
tenor.gif

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Early voice acting almost sounds like they got workers from around the office to read the parts.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I see that it's based on the character designs from the original Hezar Afsan manga.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Brief googling tells me that this version was developed by a Japanese company called Bits Laboratory.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
People are surprised?

Wait 'til they hear there's a Golden Axe, Double Dragon 2 and R-Type with animated cutscenes on the Turbografx CD too.

Oct 28, 2017
You've never heard of "Ja-fa?"

was the duo port the same (not a different version?)

More or less. The Sega CD version is based on the Duo version but has some small tweaks. The Duo version only has more traditional static cutscenes with scrolling text (the graphics for these cutscenes are incorporated into the Sega CD version as backgrounds for the anime-style cutscenes). Both are descended from the PC-98 version and share a lot of its distinguishing features, like an elaborate options menu with various speed settings and an extended finale where you fight Jafar outside on a bridge or something. They also use mostly the same redrawn graphics, with differences depending on the platforms' resolutions and color capabilities.

Also, the Genesis cartridge version is a completely different (terrible) port.

Black Soma

Oct 27, 2017
He looks like he's trying to scare someone with that pose, while "Jafah" is straight up a vampire wearing a turban. This is great

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Never mind the opening cutscene, I just watched the ending cutscene and that is a LOT of blood.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I remember being really into this when I saw pictures on EGM or wherever, now I think it looks kinda wack and it barely has any animation anyway lol.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
More or less. The Sega CD version is based on the Duo version but has some small tweaks. The Duo version only has more traditional static cutscenes with scrolling text (the graphics for these cutscenes are incorporated into the Sega CD version as backgrounds for the anime-style cutscenes). Both are descended from the PC-98 version and share a lot of its distinguishing features, like an elaborate options menu with various speed settings and an extended finale where you fight Jafar outside on a bridge or something. They also use mostly the same redrawn graphics, with differences depending on the platforms' resolutions and color capabilities.

Also, the Genesis cartridge version is a completely different (terrible) port.
Interesting that the look of the Prince in this version, with turban and vest, was then used for the hugely expanded Super Famicom/SNES version, which was by the original PC-98 version's developer.

And then the Prince was wearing these in the sequel too. No idea if there was any communication on it...