• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Some animations in this game are very nice and a real improvement over the past. It can't be overstated how much better the idle stances are than they were before.

Like they actually got rid of this shit at last
BkENpc4.gif

OKS7fLO.gif

vs

wFh5j8Q.gif

KlrxWUk.gif

This looks like a direct reaction to those negative videos about NRS animation, so despite what some people said those videos did serve a purpose. :P
Maybe Ed Boon's mind can in fact be changed.

And several combos actually look very nice
pU5v7Qh.gif

gMEHw4Q.gif

XAt85aY.gif

Look at Scorpion's first punch with some actual form and feet positioning.

Unfortunately the ol' fence punching seems to still be in.
JfrEKdj.gif

But better than before for sure

qWUj3sO.gif

And stance/side switching in these games is still a thing for some inexplicable reason.

uscvpe7.gif

Unlike essentially every other 2.5D fighting game out there characters don't always face the same side in NRS games, the characters flip from side to side depending on their actions, and as they do they turn their backs to you, often obscuring their moves (and animation).

Yo1P6Ui.gif

Is Baraka here biting her arm or giving it sweet little kisses? The world will never know. I will never understand why characters don't change to the "normal" side automatically. It serves no purpose mechanically. It's not like Hwoarang in Tekken where switching stances gives you different moves. This is like some weirdo remnant from the PS2 days of 3D Mortal Kombat that nobody bothered to correct.

Overall it's early days but seems like NRS is definitely moving forward in the right direction while still retaining its Mortal Kombat-ness.

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (5 days): Threadwhining, history of low effort drive-bys.
Who cares ? Seriously some people are weirdly fixated on netherealm games animations

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Huh, nice job catching these. Didn't notice the idle stuff at all and that's probably the most obvious from what you posted.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is why critique is important

Game looks so much more appealing than previously and the fact that they updated it means they actually agreed it was in need for improvement, I respect that

Whales

Oct 25, 2017
even in those combos gift, it feels like the hits still have no real impact to them sadly.

Who cares ? Seriously some people are weirdly fixated on netherealm games animations

I care, a fuckton of moves in MK feel dumb as hell and lack impact because of the garbage animations

I cant take MK seriously because of them

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
They fixed some of my biggest complaints at least.
I don't mind janky animations that much, my biggest problem was I2 and MKX were full of goofy and janky animations.

So far, everyone other then Sonya got a significant animation overhaul and most attacks look a little stiff, but they at least look fucking cool, which is the big thing.

Like everything Flash and Batman did in Injustice was just straight up dumb looking, it didn't look cool.
Or Erron Black and him hitting you with the barrels of his guns, like just garbage.

In this, Scorpion has some really fucking cool combo attacks with his rope dart.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't get the complaints over stance switching. It's such a minor thing, and it's not like it takes up a precious button.

That's just an annoying nitpick to me.

Oct 27, 2017
I always thought the exaggerated idle stances were more of a stylistic choice and a throwback to the older games, never really thought they were "bad" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i don't exactly think that is a fence punch. at what point does a forward leaning jab for extra reach become a fence punch? i think scorpion stepping forward for the 2nd hit (vs. the MKX gif) really helps it to not be a fench punch

Sudsakorn-Jab.jpg

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Because animations play a key role in both how your fighting game is seen (obviously) & how it feels to play (makes the moves easy to read). That's why it's good to see some significant progress being made for MK11 & why we need to see more progress. NRS games literally print money, so there's no excuse for them to be upstaged animation-wise by fighting games that sell less.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Unlike most Netherrealm gameplay I've seen looking for animation flaws felt I was nitpicking. Like Sonya's back walk cycle is terrible, but not much stood out as bad.

even in those combos gifs, it feels like the hits still have no real impact to them sadly.

Looks great to me, and the sound effects (absent in the .gifs) are a big part of conveying impact.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
The animations look improved but I'm still not going to play this game. Looks too much like old MK and that means a very boring fighting game.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one, but nerds who sit on YouTube all day, knows what you're talking about when you say fence punching.

Harken Raiser

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has hated the animations of the previous games, MK11 looks like it's made a lot of improvements and I hope they keep refining them as the series goes forward.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Do we have any real Martial Artists in here to confirm whether this sort of movement/bounce is a distraction technic, so that your opponent doesn't know whether you are going to strike with your arms or legs?

Of course it's slightly over exaggerated in Mortal Kombat I'd expect.

Thanks and then I can put my thoughts to this thread, I am not a Martial Artist so I would like a proper opinion before I share mine, incase I am wrong.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
With how much better they remade some of the character designs, they could have animated it in 2fps game & watch style and it would be better than previous games =P

Like they actually got rid of this shit at last
BkENpc4.gif

DUDE that upper hand in circles is like a mortal kombat signature !

kAs9bZZ.gif

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
i don't exactly think that is a fence punch. at what point does a forward leaning jab for extra reach become a fence punch? i think scorpion stepping forward for the 2nd hit (vs. the MKX gif) really helps it to not be a fench punch

Sudsakorn-Jab.jpg

Honestly that's just me being cute. :P Scorpion's leaning punch does look a lot better than it used to be. I'm not an expert so I can't say if it's proper form or not, but doesn't look bad like it used to be, for sure.

I really don't get the complaints over stance switching. It's such a minor thing, and it's not like it takes up a precious button.

I'm not sure if MK11 uses a button for manual stance switching again, but that was definitely the case in their previous games. I think I explained myself though, this stuff obscures animations that very clearly weren't meant to be seen from both sides. Sometimes characters' idle poses are blocked entirely because you can see nothing but their backs (this was most obvious in IJ2 since so many characters wear capes). Anyway, whatever. Just a nitpick I guess.

Big Tent Expat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The animation isn't perfect but it's now good enough to not make me want to turn my eyes away and I applaud Netherrealm for this change. They were gonna make a bajillion dollars with MK11 either way. Good shit to that animation complaining Youtube guy.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely looks better. The fence punching is better too, and as the guy above mentioned, he steps in now so it looks more natural, too. There is still some jank, but an improvement either way.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Because it looks terrible, I love the characters and the whole bloody aspect/fatalities of MK, but I rarely played any of the recent games because the way the characters stand and fight looks so bad. It's like the body facing towards the screen and they're swivelling/reaching to throw punches, moves etc., towards the opponent, looks so awkward.
It does look better in the new game though, but I really wish they would completely redo the whole system, my dream would be a MK game that's 3D like Tekken with proper stances and such, but 2.5D would still be great as long as it looks completely reworked/improved upon what it is now.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Take SFV for example, you don't need sound to feel the impact of the attacks in that game.....or any SF game, for that matter.

RLEBpid.gif

xUU9Pgx.gif

All these gifs were made by jett.

I don't see how that would translate to Mortal Kombat. MK11 has hitsparks and blood fit the visual style of the game. I could also see how that much emphasis on individual hits wouldn't work as well for Mortal Kombat juggle combos.

Oct 25, 2017
From what little I saw on my own, I could tell that the ol' NRS visual jank was still intact, but this showing me that they deserve more credit than I was giving them.

It's still distracting, though.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly that's just me being cute. :P Scorpion's leaning punch does look a lot better than it used to be. I'm not an expert so I can't say if it's proper form or not, but doesn't look bad like it used to be, for sure.

I'm not sure if MK11 uses a button for manual stance switching again, but that was definitely the case in their previous games. I think I explained myself though, this stuff obscures animations that very clearly weren't meant to be seen from both sides. Sometimes characters' idle poses are blocked entirely because you can see nothing but their backs (this was most obvious in IJ2 since so many characters wear capes). Anyway, whatever. Just a nitpick I guess.

Stance button is back.
It's actually used now for wake up rolls now though.

They get asked about it sometimes, even just recently from a interview from yesterday, and they usually just say Paulo Garcia the main combo designer just really likes it and never go into any other detail then that.
So who knows what the fuck that means.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Take SFV for example, you don't need sound to feel the impact of the attacks in that game.....or any SF game, for that matter.

RLEBpid.gif

Ip41yMn.gif

5TYVDGh.gif

xUU9Pgx.gif

yBhTsOB.gif

Hitstop goes a long way, the action stops slightly every time a hit connects. Street Fighter also puts a strong emphasis on the key poses on the active frames (when hits connect), which obviously are more noticeable due to hitstop. NRS doesn't use hitstop, kind of like other 3D fighters. It's funny how much of their current crop of fighters (MK and IJ), despite playing on 2D plane, take from their 3D brethren. Side switching, no hitstop and the use of 3D hitboxes over 2D ones.

Stance button is back.
It's actually used now for wake up rolls now though.

They get asked about it sometimes, even just recently from a interview from yesterday, and they usually just say Paulo Garcia the main combo designer just really likes it and never go into any other detail then that.
So who knows what the fuck that means.

Well I guess that's that. I've always figured several of the quirks in NRS fighters are simply a matter of a few people up top liking it the way it is.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I don't see how that would translate to Mortal Kombat. MK11 has hitsparks and blood fit the visual style of the game. I could also see how that much emphasis on individual hits wouldn't work as well for Mortal Kombat juggle combos.
That's exactly my point, especially with the bigger emphasis on footsies in MK11. A little hitstop can go a long way.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018

i don't get this either, it does not detract the game in anyway, if anything, i let's you see the character model from front and back which is actually neat in a sense.

RLEBpid.gif

Ip41yMn.gif

5TYVDGh.gif

xUU9Pgx.gif

yBhTsOB.gif

It seems that hit stop plays a part in this.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean clearly people cared basing on the number of vids and threads here. It's a shame because NRS are produce the best looking fighting games out there and I'm pretty sure they can produce better animation since their facial animation is one of the best in the industry.
It looks better now though than in the past hopefully they can mitigate it by the next game

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
It's a the main reason I don't touch these games. I really should give X a shot now that it's on Game Pass. For the single player stuff.