• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Correct me if I'm wrong, but WoL doesn't actually unlock characters for your versus roster, just the WoL roster. I haven't touched the mode since getting 100% around launch, but I felt like this was the case. Classic Mode was better for this.

World of light unlocked the roster for every mode provided you defeat the 'main' fighter spirit if i remember correctly.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Correct me if I'm wrong, but WoL doesn't actually unlock characters for your versus roster, just the WoL roster. I haven't touched the mode since getting 100% around launch, but I felt like this was the case. Classic Mode was better for this.

Also imagine complaining about ~10 hours of a game where most people spend hundreds of hours with it easily. It really was not a difficult task in the slightest.
World of Light does unlock characters for VS roster.

I was always speaking from my own personal experience of the game. Wasn't even really criticizing - although I do think they should have an unlock all function - just stating how the choice made me drop the game. Was it difficult? No. Did I want to sit there mindlessly playing VS mode for 10 hours? Also no.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
World of light unlocked the roster for every mode provided you defeat the 'main' fighter spirit if i remember correctly.

World of Light does unlock characters for VS roster.

I was always speaking from my own personal experience of the game. Wasn't even really criticizing - although I do think they should have an unlock all function - just stating how the choice made me drop the game. Was it difficult? No. Did I want to sit there mindlessly playing VS mode for 10 hours? Also no.

Interesting, I guess I never noticed it outside of the specific mode-based characters. I may have also unlocked everyone prior to touching WoL, but it's been a bit lol.

Usually the intent is that you unlock new characters naturally through versus with others, but as you mentioned you were only playing solo, yeah I wouldn't have done that either.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
In terms of being game with raw amounts of Stuff, it's absurdly impressive.

If only they spent an ounce of that time doing something about the horrendous online.

Aug 12, 2019
Why would I play versus mode solo? I played World of Light.

Plus a character every 10 minutes - assuming you win every fight - 60+ characters to unlock is still 10 hours, when I'm looking for like 3 specific characters still takes a while. Should've just been an option to unlock them all for party mode or w/e.

I mean, your just fighting AI in World of Light too. Versus is a nice play to try out characters without the restrictions of World of Light. It's also really easy to just look up what Classic Mode routes give you what character, so you could have found the 3 specific ones pretty easily. 10 hours really isn't that much for how much Ultimate gives you up front content wise, so I don't know if it really needed a "Unlock all here button."

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
For the life of me I can't believe the OP compared the development of Smash to a Pokemon game.

It was a great post up until your bad faith bullshit.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I mean, your just fighting AI in World of Light too. Versus is a nice play to try out characters without the restrictions of World of Light. It's also really easy to just look up what Classic Mode routes give you what character, so you could have found the 3 specific ones pretty easily. 10 hours really isn't that much for how much Ultimate gives you up front content wise, so I don't know if it really needed a "Unlock all here button."
World of Light is slightly more engaging and creative than VS mode, that's why I'd rather play it. But again, it got boring when I didn't characters I like.

If you've bought the game for a party/competitive setup and you don't want to have sit there and personally play for 10 hours to unlock shit, yeah, it makes sense. If you're like me and have specific character you want to play, yeah you also just want to unlock them asap. I'm not inviting friends around to play a fighter with only 8 characters and they're not the kind of people who want to sit there unlocking them either. I don't really see the argument for holding back characters. In World of Light, sure. But an But there's a reason fighting games aren't doing that shit anymore, especially with such a huge roster. But like I'd actually just take $5 DLC to just let me play the damn characters I want from the start.

Deleted member 33120

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Nice try coming up with a bunch of words (and even throwing in the Japanese title to seem more cultured) in order to mask the real message: the umpteenth "Gamefreak sucks" thread.

This forum is exhausting and toxic.

OP
OP
SpaceCrystal

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
For the life of me I can't believe the OP compared the development of Smash to a Pokemon game.

It was a great post up until your bad faith bullshit.

Bad faith? Seriously? Because of an opinion?

Nice try coming up with a bunch of words (and even throwing in the Japanese title to seem more cultured) in order to mask the real message: the umpteenth "Gamefreak sucks" thread.

This forum is exhausting and toxic.

Please, if this thread was really all about "trashing Game Freak", then I wouldn't have edited my last paragraph out about that over an hour ago.

I'm sure people like the both of you & the rest who have flamed me have never made a mistake on this entire site. Acting holier than thou/high & mighty. Give me a break.

Last edited:

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Bad faith? Seriously? Because of an opinion?

Please, If this thread was really all about "trashing Game Freak", then I wouldn't have edited my last paragraph out about that over an hour ago.

I'm sure people like the both of you & the rest who have flamed me have never made a mistake on this entire site.

Yes, opinions can be made in bad faith. That's how it works sometimes.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
So that was your purpose then. How do you know that Pokemon devs aren't putting their all into Sword and Shield? Smash Bros is developed with the aid of one of the biggest game makers in Japan and has years of experience making games in HD. And in the past, Sakurai has cut characters and stages from Smash Bros games. He and his team have even fallen short in providing sufficient single player content in past games. Game Freak is much smaller and hasn't done HD development before. You make the claim that the Pokemon models were already hand made but purposefully left out the other factors needed to include 500+ Pokemon like designing moves and balancing them with the new features they have. Plus designing the whole new world, and new Pokemon, and new types of gameplay, etc. And you left out that info because it doesn't fit with your narrative that the Pokemon devs are lazy.
Hard work isn't equivalent to a good job

you can try your best at something and still fail

saying gamefreak could have done a better job is not saying they are lazy, as much as you would like it to be so

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Suspect thread timing...
Its a good game but at the same time the single player is lackluster and the online is even worse and that's the one thing I most wanted done right.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Look, you say you're being honest, and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. That being said, the sincerity is shortsighted. While Ultimate is one of the biggest achievements in all of gaming, it can't be seen as the bar for which others should aspire to. Sakurai has already gone on record saying that something like this may never happen again, which is why the team is going above and beyond and why they're going above and beyond the above and beyond with regards to brining characters and game worlds together. In other words, Smash Ultimate is an outlier among outliers.

Say what you will about your disappointment/dissatisfaction with Game Freak. I share some of that with you. But comparing its efforts to that of Ultimate's is myopic and ultimately shouldn't hold.

OP
OP
SpaceCrystal

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I'm sure Sakurai would be firmly on the side of Game Freak in this case, as he's said over and over, this was a crazy amount of work and people shouldn't expect it again - whatever comes next for Smash Bros. will be its Sword & Shield, and he's honest about that. He's not going to be patting you on the back for calling other developers lazy but being in his corner.

At least he's being honest about it & not keeping fans in the dark.

Plus a majority of people already know that's going to happen within the next Smash game, so they have no real reason to be angry at him over it.

Why did you stop using Japanese names after the topic title?

I used it once more at the beginning of the first paragraph.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
I swear people who say "It's exactly like Smash 4" never actually played Smash 4, or else have no recollection of it.

OX1cAfm.png

ZMaFE1O.png
It's largely Smash 4 with much better lighting in terms of looks. They put in a ton of work, but the jump from Brawl to Wii U felt bigger thanks to HD, etc.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
So that was your purpose then. How do you know that Pokemon devs aren't putting their all into Sword and Shield? Smash Bros is developed with the aid of one of the biggest game makers in Japan and has years of experience making games in HD. And in the past, Sakurai has cut characters and stages from Smash Bros games. He and his team have even fallen short in providing sufficient single player content in past games. Game Freak is much smaller and hasn't done HD development before. You make the claim that the Pokemon models were already hand made but purposefully left out the other factors needed to include 500+ Pokemon like designing moves and balancing them with the new features they have. Plus designing the whole new world, and new Pokemon, and new types of gameplay, etc. And you left out that info because it doesn't fit with your narrative that the Pokemon devs are lazy.
As a consumer am I supposed to care that GF hasn't done HD development before? I don't care that they worked hard on it. That effort was all for nothing of the game is missing shit and is lacking in comparison to its older, cheaper titles.

You don't get a reward just because you worked hard if the work was sloppy.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Yeah it's amazing. It's all for the fans too. Literally the opposite of what Gamefreak is doing these days

RossC

Oct 27, 2017
Not played in a while, waiting on the final fighter pass character release then planning to get them all and jump back in for a bit.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
It's a massive undertaking and I think it'll take until the next game for people to fully apprecite it, Ultimate won't be done again. Heck, every Smash game since Brawl has been built on the last - if they decide to start from scratch with the next entry or take the series in a different direction we'll probably end up with a substantially smaller roster and number of stages.

Edit: Oh I see this was originally Pokemon thread. What a strange comparison...

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
Man, Nintendo really lucked out with Sakurai. One of the few, if not the only developer with the passion, knowledge and talent necessary to helm such a franchise.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
while I adore Ultimate and appreciate all the work Sakurai and Bandai Namco put into the game I'll still be excited to see what a new Smash bros could be like with half the roster but resources put in other areas.
I know I'll be disappointed if some of my favs/mains are cut but I also fully know that we might get substantial upgrades in other areas considering Sakurai and his team passion and willingness to go the extra mile (assuming it's the same team handling the next game).