• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I'm 41 years old and have never in my life seen a parade for a presidential candidate or a president in general. Every morning on the weekend for the past month on the way home from my girlfriend's I see large caravans of tow trucks and pick up trucks with these huge Trump Parades and people lining up on the streets to cheer this on.

A little back story before you automatically dismiss my concerns.

I live on Long Island and have been traveling to the surrounding states to do my leaf peeping and fall waterfall photography. OBVIOUSLY this stuff isn't happening in the city, obviously the city will carry the stats to a Blue Victory, and obviously upstate NY, Long Island and rural areas of the surrounding states are always red sensitive.

But my fear is this

Trump's base is energized, more energized than any base I have ever seen before for a Canidate. If they are that energized up here....where he will lose, how energized are they in states where every vote counts? How energized are they in those battleground states? I guess this is a please to the complacent or those mad that their preferred Canidate didn't win. If you got people in your life that say "politics is dumb I don't care this doesn't impact me"

Explain to them....that it impacts you, let that wall come down and tell them how it impacts you and open up. There is zero shame in showing some vulnerability, it doesn't make you any less of a man if you show things get to you. Tell them it's fine if they don't want them to vote for themselves but tell them they would be doing it for them. This is the most important vote of our lifetime. Yeah that's said every election cycle and hopefully it didn't get boy who cried wolf to death by now but now is the time. You have to physically do something.

That's all. Have a happy Halloween

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
All I know is that there is more early votes than ever, and that doesn't sound to me like it's for the incumbent. Trumpets are loud and obnoxious, it makes sense that their campaigns are too.

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
I'm pretty sure if we lived in a world without COVID-19 these parades wouldn't exist or be with less amount of people

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
The lessons of Trump's sinking boat parade make me feel more secure.

But recalling the Navy Seals who flew Trump's flag does give me pause.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They're that energized because they're a cult of personality.

But there ain't enough cult members alone to carry his carcass across the finish line. They have to win other coalitions to do it, and they haven't exactly been doing themselves any favors.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, Trump can win. It's still probabilistic. Vote and be at peace.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I see the same around my Chicago suburbs every weekend and no way in hell is IL going red.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully the election isn't determined by the number of boat and truck parades.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They're not normal people. Normal folk don't waste that amount of time worshipping a man. They're a minority.

Oct 22, 2020
One of the perverse effects of the Electoral College is that it makes people forget that there are more New York Republicans than West Virginia Republicans.

You're seeing a lot of New York Trumpers because there are a lot of New York Trumpers.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've even seen Trump parades going through my tiny, super liberal town in Massachusetts, but they sure as hell aren't going to win MA. So I would say don't worry about it, they're good at amassing like spots of mold in the corner of the basement - they're noticeable and worrying but not an indication that the entire house is decrepit.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
To counter your anxiety, is there anyone in your life you can do GOTV (get out the vote) efforts with? They say that's the best way to push a non-voter over the line.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Almost 3 million people voted for Trump in the NYS in 2016. That's still alot even if almost double as much voted for Hillary.

Also Trump supporters are primarily animated by two things: triggering the libs and getting triggered themselves by perceived slights. I'd expect them to be more vocal in deep blue states.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
These are people with the time and energy to sit around in a truck harassing Biden voters.

Everyone else who matters is busy with their lives, their families, and staying safe.

These Trump parades are straight up nazi garbage but they're a minority. Trump's diehard supporters are a minority. Don't let them make you lose sight of how many of us are out there who are ready to dump this fucker.

OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
To counter your anxiety, is there anyone in your life you can do GOTV (get out the vote) efforts with? They say that's the best way to push a non-voter over the line.
I'm surrounded by the reddest of red people. I'm the only democrat in my family and my family is large. I have some democrat friends but they are obviously already voting Biden.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
NY isn't going red lol.

Just do what I do: Give 'em a big old fat middle finger and be about your day.

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
Understand the concern but please remember that many democrats do not trust the polls and are uneasy which is a good thing it means more of them will vote.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Good lord whiling Wed will be "Vote? We thought parades were enough"

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Syracuse, NY here. While the city is completely blue the surrounding areas are purely Trump country. There is no way they have a big enough force in this state to overturn a goddamn thing. I really wouldn't worry about it.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean you live in New York. Trump is not winning there. I would bet my life and the lives of all my loved ones on it.

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
They are pushed into a corner so they feel the need to be louder. It is the only way they can compensate with knowing their dear leader is losing next week.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Trump has always had a small zealous base so this shouldn't be a surprise. That said, it's still great advice for folks to be energized on our end when it comes to voting. My anecdote when it comes to trump is my job. I work and help a lot of older people and I've spoken with people who clearly weren't Obama fans who are really pissed at trump regarding corona. Lady yesterday thinks she caught it in Jan and blames him for her mom catching it too. Was from Boston and cursing up a storm about ol trump. I'm very good at catching trends generally and at least from what I've seen, he's lost a lot of them at least.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
All I see around here are trucks with giant trump flags on them. These fucking people need help.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I grew up on Long Island and it has a strong core of conservatives and blue collar families that fit the Trump profile. It's distressing, but not indicative of the much larger majority of anti-Trump people. Remember they are just a loud and vocal minority.

Yeah, I'll never understand flying the confederate flag in upstate NY.

Also went to college in rural upstate NY. Parts of it feel more like West Virginia than New York.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surrounded by the reddest of red people. I'm the only democrat in my family and my family is large. I have some democrat friends but they are obviously already voting Biden.
Where do you live? I grew up in Suffolk (NY-1) and while I live in Brooklyn now I've been doing phone banking for the Democratic candidate for congress there, Nancy Goroff, and the response has been really encouraging. I know the district seems incredible conservative/racist/red, but the polls have her neck and neck with Zeldin, who positioned himself as a Trump lacky after 2016. It's pretty clear the district absolutely rejected Hillary, but it's even close to the same for Biden. I can't find where I read it, but last I checked Biden is up in the district, which could very well lead to Goroff winning as well.

I would ultimately say ignore the parades. I watched a bunch of Twitter clips of the Trump parades out to Montauk when they did that a few weeks ago. It may seem scary, but we're talking about a few hundred people in a county that has a population of almost 1.5 million.

Also New York as a whole isn't going red. Look at this map of the 2016 election.

660px-New_York_Presidential_Election_Results_2016.svg.png

Hillary got 1.7 million more votes than Trump. It's hard to believe that when you look at the map. Upstate is barren.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
kind of telling it's happening in new york not wisconson, iowa PA ect

paper tiger

Mar 27, 2019
I've been out on the island for six months and it's exactly like what you describe. I grew up on nyc and I never saw any parades growing up either. The size of trumps rallies are a spectacle and I think anyone who dismisses them does so at their peril.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Can you imagine getting a car parade together for, like, ANYONE? Especially for someone who couldn't care less if you were dead? Lol. Just imagine how dumb you have to be.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Can you imagine getting a car parade together for, like, ANYONE? Especially for someone who couldn't care less if you were dead? Lol. Just imagine how dumb you have to be.
It's also the pandemic, so it's not like they have anything else to lol. 2020 is a wacky year.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been out on the island for six months and it's exactly like what you describe. I grew up on nyc and I never saw any parades growing up either. The size of trumps rallies are a spectacle and I think anyone who dismisses them does so at their peril.
This is actual FUD. There is no chance on planet earth that Biden doesn't take NY. Doesn't matter how many white supremacists from Long Island parade around with flags.

projects.fivethirtyeight.com

2020 Election Forecast

Latest forecast of the 2020 presidential election between President Donald Trump and Joe Biden by Nate Silver’s FiveThirtyEight

kcp12304

Oct 27, 2017
I drove through some small town in Upstate NY and ran into one of those Trump parades. It was when he got Covid too lol. We've had Trump boat parades and caravans here in CT too but he's not going to win ofc. I live in the most Republican area in CT and there were tons of Trump signs in 2016. There may be slightly less houses with signs this year but the ones that do have them have upgraded to yard signs plus flags. Maybe a large sign and flags on their trucks. The reality is most people don't follow politics. It's just that the cult just got more cultish.

These folks in LI, in particular, are like the quintennial Trump fan demo.

The rural areas will turn out for him but he's loosing support from White people overall including Whites w/ College degrees, White women without College, and Seniors. Unfortunately, it'll just comes down to like 4 or so States.

Mar 27, 2019
This is actual FUD. There is no chance on planet earth that Biden doesn't take NY. Doesn't matter how many white supremacists from Long Island parade around with flags.

projects.fivethirtyeight.com

2020 Election Forecast

Latest forecast of the 2020 presidential election between President Donald Trump and Joe Biden by Nate Silver’s FiveThirtyEight

I wasn't talking about ny specifically.