• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
Australia
User Warned: Platform Warring
Hmm. 2 "directors cuts"LOL, 2 remasters and whatever kind of dlc Miles Morales was.

Forgive me if I don't get the bunting out of storage

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
They should be commended for delivering for their fans, period, imo.

Best first year for a console ever. Some people hate to see it, but I love it. Keep em coming!

But that's just the thing: they didn't deliver anything to their fans by moneyhatting third parties to only release on a single platform. They simply stopped multiplatform games from releasing on other platforms. I don't think there's anything commendable about that. It's the reality of the games industry, sure, but I see no reason to praise a company for it outside of fringe cases of indie devs that really needed the money to complete development.

Geobros

Dec 31, 2018
In it's first year Sony has had a banger, look at all of these exclusives*

Deathloop
Returnal
Spider-Man Remastered
Miles Morales
Kena Bridge of Spirits
Sack boy: A Big Adventure
Ratchet and Clank: A Rift Apart
Ghost of Tsushima: DC
Death Stranding: DC
Guilty Gear: Strive
Final Fantasy VII Intergrade
F.I.S.T
Astros Playroom
Demons Souls
Chicory

Not seen this amount of exclusives released in a single launch year in my lifetime. What's especially amazing is that it was done during a global pandemic.

*console or timed exclusive.

The list has some problems. Most of them you can play on PC or PS4. I don't see more than 4-5 real exclusives.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
It was a stellar first year and one of the most diverse and rich lineup I can remember.

They also did an outstanding job with Playstation Indies, some really great partnerships in there, this month alone we got two great indie games (F.I.S.T. and Kena) and it's not even over yet. Next month Solar Ash and Jett are coming and both are looking very very good base on previews

Outstanding work from Shu

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Yea... I'm not on board with commending them for EXCLUSIVITY in and of itself. I will commend them for 1P publishing/helping to publish a number of quality games. But celebrating games that they simply paid for or from teams that simply needed to focus on one platform is IMO not that meaningful or useful. I mean, really, in both ways, Nintendo and MS have both done well on this front this year, as well. I think it's because 2021 is the year a lot of things got pushed back to. 2022 will have plenty of that too (and probably a couple years after that, too).

That said, about half of Sony's output this year was at launch (and has somewhat petered out since). I think THAT'S commendable, when it was much earlier in the pandemic and people had to scramble. On the other hand, maybe that was because they had already almost finished most of these games and covid didn't impact them as much as they impacted all the games that are getting delayed into 2022.

Anyway, logistics aside, I do agree that PS5 is definitely a good place to play good games. And overall, I've been very impressed with what all of the platforms have been able to deliver this past year and a half.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
Moneyhatting 3rd parties to keep the games off the competing platforms isnt something im gonna cheer on.

Or overpriced dlc.

But good job for ratchet and miles.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
So a mix of definitive edtions and moneyhats, with a select few first party new games.

It's an okay first year, but the list doesn't hold up when looked with even a bit of scrutiny.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Exclusivity factually makes the hobby less inclusive and accessible towards anyone but of priviliged economic status, which disproportionally affects people living outside the "1st world", people with disabilities and anyone else who suffers economic disadvantages such as through systemic issues, but one can tell this forum just isn't real enough to have that conversation.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Not seen this amount of exclusives released in a single launch year in my lifetime.

If we're including games that are on both PS4 and PS5 as "console exclusive" (?) then I'm fairly certain the Switch measures up.

Breath of the Wild
Golf Story
Blaster Master Zero
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Splatoon 2
Ultra Street Fighter II
1-2-Switch
Fast RMX
ARMS
Super Bomberman R
Monster Hunter XX
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Pokken Tournament DX
Fire Emblem Warriors
Super Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Bayonetta 2
etc.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
It's always fun watching posters try and belittle the genuine achievements.

Apparently Miles Morales isn't a real game.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Exclusivity factually makes the hobby less inclusive and accessible towards anyone but of priviliged economic status, which disproportionally affects people living outside the "1st world", people with disabilities and anyone else who suffers economic disadvantages such as through systemic issues, but one can tell this forum just isn't real enough to have that conversation.
The "I wasn't trolling, I swear" pivot really doesn't work here

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
If we're including games that are on both PS4 and PS5 as "console exclusive" (?) then I'm fairly certain the Switch measures up.

Breath of the Wild
Golf Story
Blaster Master Zero
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Splatoon 2
Ultra Street Fighter II
1-2-Switch
Fast RMX
ARMS
Super Bomberman R
Monster Hunter XX
Pokken Tournament DX
Fire Emblem Warriors
Super Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Bayonetta 2
etc.
Yeah this thread is rather cringey. For one thing the definition is so loose that there's plenty of comparable first years out there. Second thing, why on earth are we supposed to commend companies for supporting their product? "Bravo for releasing a product and releasing games for it!"

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
You guys don't realize how easy it is for game devs to go bust. I won't fault them for receiving money to give them more safety net in releasing their games. Maybe the big AAA publishers are greedy, but other than that, no.

Making games require money.

Breath of the Wild
Golf Story
Blaster Master Zero
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Splatoon 2
Ultra Street Fighter II
1-2-Switch
Fast RMX
ARMS
Super Bomberman R
Monster Hunter XX
Pokken Tournament DX
Fire Emblem Warriors
Super Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Bayonetta 2
etc.

I mean the OP never say PS5 only, so yeah the Switch measures up for sure.

pyxl_8

Oct 27, 2017
Whoever's in charge of choosing external projects to co-fund for timed exclusivity sure does appear to have a keen eye for seeing the bangers in the prototypes and pitches.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I don't think i'm going to commend Sony for Chicory or Guilty Gear Strive, no; i'll commend Greg Lobanov and his team, and Arc System Works respectively. Won't commend Insomniac's work for different reasons.

The actual PlayStation Studios lineup from November 2020 to now is fine enough; listing third party and indie (timed) console exclusives takes away from it if anything.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I love how people always congratuale the billion dollar publishers for "delivering the products" while the actual developers don't get the same praise and this is absolutely bullshit.

Sony has delivered nothing, all the small and big developers behind all this games are the ones putting the real work.

This is a little bit short sighted. Sony has to give these devs the money to develope this games and it thus taking all the risks. It's one thing to greenlight a Sequel to one of the best selling games on PS4 ( GOW ) and another to greenlight an AAA Rogue-lite game. This is not "nothing" when Pubs like Activision let their devs develope ONE IP for years. Also Sony provides these developers with all the help including man power ( Studios like XDEV ) and expertise ( Especially third party ). They also are responsible for everything else like marketing and so on.

Saying Sony or MS do nothing and just give them Money is wrong.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Breath of the Wild
Golf Story
Blaster Master Zero
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Splatoon 2
Ultra Street Fighter II
1-2-Switch
Fast RMX
ARMS
Super Bomberman R
Monster Hunter XX
Pokken Tournament DX
Fire Emblem Warriors
Super Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Bayonetta 2
etc.

Bayo 2 wouldn't count as I don't think that added enough content haha.

But VOEZ counts!

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP

Dig up.

So you're saying that all games should be on mobile phones released 10 years ago? And you say we aren't real enough?

Trunchisholm

Oct 31, 2017
It's fair to commend them on their excellent first-party output.

As for third-party timed exclusives, absolutely not. Some people here excuse that practice saying it's always been a thing in the industry and that every company does it. Guess what? It's always been a shit practice. Paying money to keep games off other platforms is not something we should be commending. We should complain about it because it only benefits the platform holder.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna commend moneyhats or remasters that should be free, nor a 3 hour tech demo so that leaves 5 games, with two of them by a studio that has such extreme workplace abuse that I still feel bad about forgetting and I'm gonna buy all their games pre-owned till I see improvement. So I'll commend them only for Sackboy, Demon's Souls, and Returnal.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I love how people always congratuale the billion dollar publishers for "delivering the products" while the actual developers don't get the same praise and this is absolutely bullshit.

Sony has delivered nothing, all the small and big developers behind all this games are the ones putting the real work.
The platform holder has to decide what a good time is to start funding development on titles for a new platform. They've succeeded in at least not having a desert-like first year.

Its a sign of a well planned launch, with enough flexibility to deal with a global pandemic. In the past you saw platform holders struggling with that, so from a business sense yes its commendable.

I remember the N64 beginning and end. Not good.

Quasi

Banned
Aug 24, 2021
The vast majority of that list is also playable on PC and/or PS4 or are remasters/rereleases. But sure, congrats..?

Dec 5, 2017
You guys don't realize how easy it is for game devs to go bust. I won't fault them for receiving money to give them more safety net in releasing their games. Maybe the big AAA publishers are greedy, but other than that, no.

Making games require money.

I mean the OP never say PS5 only, so yeah the Switch measures up for sure.
I'm sure checks notes whatever the fuck a Final Fantasy 7 Remake is was impossible without the Sony moneyhat.

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
Like many others, found this list weird. Does the PS2/3/4 really can't match up to this list given the kind of games OP is including?

DaeJim

Founder LifeisXbox.eu
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Both Sony and Microsoft did an impressive amount this year, safe to say that both consoles had a great first year.
Really great to see that all platform holders are investing so much money for new games.

Xbox's first year:
- The Gunk
- Halo Infinite
- Forza horizon 5
- Anacrusis
- Moonglow Bay
- Sable
- Artful Escape
- Lake
-Twelve Minutes
- Death's Door
- Flight Simulator
- Gears Tactics

Feels a bit wrong to only praise Sony.
Hopefully 2022 will be equally good!

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Like many others, found this list weird. Does the PS2/3/4 really can't match up to this list given the kind of games OP is including?
This image gets posted a lot though it's a bit farther than the first year since the ps2 released in march 2000
630x.jpg

calloumiii

Sep 14, 2018
I get why timed exclusivity is a thing, but I'd never be happy about it. I'd consider it a necessary evil at best.

Plus cheering giant corporations like they're a football team strikes me as a bit juvenile, honestly.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
i congratulated them by buying some of those, not sure why they should be commended specifically, especially when most of those arent even true exclusives.
with ff7r for example, they literally extended their exclusivity period, preventing me from playing the game on my preferred platform ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I've been happy with the ol' PS5. We got Destruction Allstars (hey, I thought it was cool), Bugsnax and Godfall as well.

Next year is going to be insane for all platforms. Microsoft is going to come out swinging with Starfield and Redfall . Nintendo will drop BOTW 2, and Sony's got Horizon, GT7 and God of War. Couple that with all of the third party games*, and we'll be eating well in 2022.

I can't wait.

*Fingers crossed for Cuphead 2 and Hollow Knight 2

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both Sony and Microsoft did an impressive amount this year, safe to say that both consoles had a great first year.
Really great to see that all platform holders are investing so much money for new games.

Xbox's first year:
- The Gunk
- Halo Infinite
- Forza horizon 5
- Anacrusis
- Moonglow Bay
- Sable
- Artful Escape
- Lake
-Twelve Minutes
- Death's Door
- Flight Simulator
- Gears Tactics

Feels a bit wrong to only praise Sony.
Hopefully 2022 will be equally good!

I'd have to disagree, Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5 are clearly going to be doing much of the heavy lifting here but they're coming almost a full year after launch.

I'd say so far this is the worst launch period for any Xbox console ever and it's not even close to previous gens, but things are about to pick up big time and I don't see it ever getting this bad again.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
Eh, good work on the first party stuff and a good first year of releases overall but idk about 'commending' them for exclusives.

Status
Not open for further replies.