• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
It was very amusing this Flash game coming out of nowhere a year before Sonic 4 and just bodying it quality wise. You could perhaps say it set something of a precedent for Sonic Mania.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting stuff. I wonder if they'll ever take another crack at something like this. While a Sonic Maker certainly seems like a no-brainer idea, it strikes me that making a good Sonic level would actually be quite a bit more difficult than making a good Mario level.

TSSZNews

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How on earth could it be possible that I haven't heard of this?

What the hell?

I was subscribed to the RSS feed of TSSZNews in 2009 (and still am, for the record) and there's no way this could have existed without them posting about it, which means I should know about it.

I'm really confused.

Good thing we did post about it in September 2009!

I get the sense this could be attempted again, but Sega would want Taxman's RSDK/Star Engine for it, and I strongly suspect he (understandably) doesn't want to give up the rights to his golden ticket, especially given Sega's history of missed opportunities and messing things up.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Sega dont what nintendid - This is indeed a revelation.

How about this for a good future - Mania 2 releases with a level editor

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I was signed up to this. I think they gave me a cheapo white usb saturn pad with the playsega logo on as a signup gift

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
It's sad that this thread is the first time I was even aware such a thing existed.

Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely insane that Sega is still ahead of the competition even in the 2000s... and still failed to actually market and sell its product.

it just keeps happening

Jun 7, 2018
Considering that it was fairly commonplace by that point for people to save .swf files so that Flash games could be played offline or on PSP or whatever, I'm amazed that, among a community as passionate as the Sonic fanbase, nobody has the file on an old hard drive or something...

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Utterly dumb they did nothing with this, especially after the success of Mario Maker. It likely wouldn't have made the same waves, but a Sonic level creator would've easily sold a cool million or so.

I remember this came out a bit before Sonic 4 Episode I did, and fans like myself were excited to see if this was teasing that that would be... lo and behold it certainly was not.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
I remember this being pretty neat in theory, but the core movement and physics were unsatisfying in practice. Not as bad as what Dimps would kick out the door with Sonic 4 a bit later, but classic Sonic either feels right or he doesn't, and while I'm sympathetic to the plight of whatever poor programmer had to reimplement it all in Flash on a tight deadline, probably with no documentation, it's just not there.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
My son would love this. He "made levels" using the debug code in Sonic Mania all the time before they patched it out. :/

Mikoby

Oct 28, 2017
First member I follow. Every single one of your OT:s are straight fire! Thanks for this

mntorankusu

Nov 13, 2017
I signed up for PlaySega to get the Saturn pad. The first one I got was basically broken, and the replacement they sent me was still just a really cheap and crappy controller. It was such a disappointment to get something like that directly from Sega and it just feels the same as a $5 chinese knock-off.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Good thing we did post about it in September 2009!

I get the sense this could be attempted again, but Sega would want Taxman's RSDK/Star Engine for it, and I strongly suspect he (understandably) doesn't want to give up the rights to his golden ticket, especially given Sega's history of missed opportunities and messing things up.
I was around and paying attention in that year and never even heard about it. Crazy!

ryu_highabusa

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
I signed up for PlaySega to get the Saturn pad. The first one I got was basically broken, and the replacement they sent me was still just a really cheap and crappy controller. It was such a disappointment to get something like that directly from Sega and it just feels the same as a $5 chinese knock-off.
Same. Ordered it out if excitement then read everyone's impressions. Mine's basically unused and sitting somewhere.

Oct 25, 2017
Tragic.

I imagine it was pulled to clear the way for the TRUE classic Sonic experience, Sonic 4. I also assume Sega didn't want to "tarnish" the Sonic brand with fan made stages saturating the market. Again, in the same world where Sonic 4 would soon exist.

On the other hand, this was before Mario Maker existed and succeeded. I imagine Sega may see the market as much more palatable for such a title these days.

What was this? Did they copy and paste your post?

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I spent a lot of hours with Sonic Level Creator back in the day. It was a dream come true for a boy that drew his own levels in a notebook :')

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I actually did play this! I had quite a lot of fun messing around with it. I remember foolishly thinking that Project Needlemouse was most likely using data acquired from this, especially considering around the time it disappeared SEGA started plastering Sonic 1 sprites over a lot of their promotional materials and websites.

I honestly think the game went MIA at Sonic Team's request because PlaySEGA had nothing to do with SEGA Japan and Sonic Team at the time had to give the okay to anything Sonic related. It certainly would not be the first time something like that happened.

Unfortunately I did not play the game anywhere near as much as I wanted to. PlaySEGA was for the most part honestly such an offensive thing to longtime fans. It was run by people who actively had no interest in SEGA as a company outside of Sonic. I distinctly remember it being loaded with references to stuff like Naruto and Chocolate Rain instead, though.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
Sega making a very competent Sonic Maker 10 years ago then suddenly shutting it down and never reviving the idea is the most Sega thing I've heard all day

OP
OP
Mama Robotnik

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the great feedback everyone, really glad to have highlighted this wonderful Sonic offering.

Unfortunately I did not play the game anywhere near as much as I wanted to. PlaySEGA was for the most part honestly such an offensive thing to longtime fans. It was run by people who actively had no interest in SEGA as a company outside of Sonic. I distinctly remember it being loaded with references to stuff like Naruto and Chocolate Rain instead, though.

Can I ask, what was so offensive regarding the PlaySEGA offer? It seemed pretty vanilla to me, so I'd be interested in your view.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Thanks for the great feedback everyone, really glad to have highlighted this wonderful Sonic offering.

Can I ask, what was so offensive regarding the PlaySEGA offer? It seemed pretty vanilla to me, so I'd be interested in your view.
It was just really strongly focused away from SEGA IP (except Sonic, it had a whole section for him even if I think it only had the Level Creator as part of that section) and instead focused on really cheap, generic Newgrounds quality flash games for free members. It ultimately felt like a generic flash site for really young kids with Genesis games tacked on in a subscription.

I remember contacting someone that worked on the service and they were unusually hostile and difficult over me just asking basic stuff over the controller and if they were intending to add any SEGA character costumes to the customizable avatar. I just did not bother after that point.