• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
Initially posted in the Bad Games hangout but was told this could be its own thread, so. . . thread.

Been watching supergreatfriend's Games Night! series from around early 2016 and The Adventures of Willy Beamish for DOS/Amiga is. . . something. The gameplay is conventional point-and-click and works for the most part; SGF has had issues with crashing but that could be the emulator. The story is mostly a cartoony rip-off of The Wizard animated in some cheap Nickelodeon-ish style with terrible framerate. There's foreshadowing (which is weirdly remeniscient of Troll 2) of some Soylent Green conspiracy as well but we're not that far into it yet. At first glance Willy's an unremarkable Dennis the Menace/Bart Simpson clone who likes comic books and video games and has issues with authority.
Adventures%20of%20Willy%20Beamish-2.png

Then during the intro he crashes through his school's front door on purpose, and you start thinking there may be more to this.

As the "Must Get to the Nintari Championships" plot goes through its lazy motions, it quickly becomes apparent that almost everyone in the game is a psychopath. Everyone. Willy is always manipulating others, which is kind of fair because he's in constant danger of getting murdered or vanished to a forsaken hellhole. That's not an exaggeration. Just one example, when SGF had Willy pluck a couple of ferry tokens out of a public water fountain, a nearby cop arrests him and throws him in jail. Not juvie -- adult jail. Packed into a cell with violent criminals, then fade to black. That's not even the craziest thing we've seen so far, and as I understand it, we're not even half done! (Oh, and while we're on crazy, the game is peppered with sexual humor and casual racism that'll make you flinch or gape, such as when Willy's mother orders Willy to walk in on his teenage sister while she's taking a bath.)
114.PNG

After a few game overs, some in which Willy arguably died in scenes of body-mangling violence, SGF had to re-start and play much more conservatively to keep this 10-year-old boy, however superficial and sociopathic, from suffering some ghastly fate.
image%2B5-09%2B%2528broken%2Bbones%2529.png

Never mind that alien probe-like thing on the upper right. Notice that's a crosscut wood saw on the shelf next to the operating table!

You're in cartoon suburbia, yet simmering underneath the doing chores and collecting doodads there's this survival-horror tension to just make it through the next encounter alive.

Last edited:

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I remember this lol. I think I played this, Teen Agent, and the Beavis and Butthead adventure game around the same time.

Didn't he have a pet frog or something?

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Had the SCD version and the load times basically rendered the game unplayable. I see it's available on GoG; maybe I'll pick it up.

OP
OP
dragonchild

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
You might think that Willy Beamish looks awful now, but at the time, on my new 386, it was a marvel.
The graphics are fine for the era; the artwork is terrible. Look at Willy's face in the first image. His eyes are, just, off.
Holy crap I remember this game
Do you remember it being this demented, though? If I played this back in '91 I don't think I would've questioned its cartoony presentation but at my current age it's like a psychological horror.
Didn't he have a pet frog or something?
Yep, there's a significant subplot where he enters his frog into a contest to win the money he needs to get to the Nintari Championships. He has absolutely no issues with doping "Horny" in order to win, let alone question if the substance(s) he tried might hurt or kill the frog.
Didn't this have like 15 discs??
There was apparently a CD version, which includes voice "acting".

Last edited:

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, there's a significant subplot where he enters his frog into a contest to win the money he needs to get to the Nintari Championships. He has absolutely no issues with doping "Horny" in order to win, let alone question if

That sounds vaguely familiar.
There were so many non-Lucasarts adventure games from back then that I played, but remember almost nothing about them. Like, I played and finished most of the Quest games, and the Legend of Kyrandia games, but I could tell you about 3 things that happen throughout all of them.

jedezel

Oct 28, 2017
I remember playing this game long time ago and being stuck at the bat-vampire-baby-sitter.
Many years later, I tried again and I think I managed to finish it. I don't really remember the ending though.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that game fucked me up when I was a kid. That scene early on where he cuts his finger and blood spurts out and I remember the pc speaker making a spurting noise. Awesome game.

Wilco

Nov 25, 2018
I played it for the first time 3-4 years ago. Looks great and plot is mindless fun for a kid in a Summer vacation. But the game itself I didn't like at all because behind the cartoonish look it's incredibly frustrating and hard with the obtuse puzzles and deaths from everywhere. Probably one of the worst from Sierra for me.

OP
OP
dragonchild

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
But the game itself I didn't like at all because behind the cartoonish look it's incredibly frustrating and hard with the obtuse puzzles and deaths from everywhere. Probably one of the worst from Sierra for me.
Yeah, and these are death deaths. When the Jets gang drags Willy off it fades to black, fate unknown, implying it was too horrible to show. SGF repeated that sequence so many times because the puzzle solution was so counterintuitive, marveling that anyone back in the 90s would play it without a guide.

Last edited:

DosDaddy

Feb 17, 2019
This game was the coolest shit I'd ever seen when I was a kid. Never really got too far. Will replay it sometime soon thanks to this thread

Wilco

Nov 25, 2018
Yeah, and these are death deaths. When the Jets gang drags Willy off it fades to black, fate unknown, meaning it was too horrible to show. SGF repeated that sequence so many times because the puzzle solution was so counterintuitive, marveling that anyone back in the 90s would play it without a guide.

It's Sierra brutal deaths but in a kid cartoon context! lol
It really is extremely annoying, I tried playing it without a guide at first like usual but in this one I gave fast without regrets.

Oct 27, 2017
Had it on day one. Was terrible performance, terrible graphics (for a drawn cartoon on a computer, it's selling point), and story. Complete letdown, was somehow miraculously able to return it.

Riptwo

Oct 25, 2017
I remember playing this before I owned a mouse on my old 286, and there was a puzzle involving a throwing star (I think?) that was nearly impossible via keyboard. I probably spent half of a summer vacation on one sequence.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This game came on my family's first PC. Me and my sister couldn't ever make it past the vampire baby-sitter

Vorpal

Nov 4, 2017
Back when this was released I would pretty much but anything that had the Sierra Online logo on the box. You could take a crap in a box, call it Fiber Quest, and I'd still drop $40 on it. But this game was the one exception.

The game description that Sierra had on the box and in their catalogs was so vague that I knew something was up. I couldn't figure out what the point was. My best friend who warned me about it being awful could only say, "you're supposed to be a kid." Christ, why would I want to do that? I just a teenager. I was done being a kid. That sucked.

Anyway, bullet dodged. Ended up buying Freddy Pharkus Frontier Pharmacist instead.

OP
OP
dragonchild

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
This game came on my family's first PC. Me and my sister couldn't ever make it past the vampire baby-sitter
Oh holy pants, the "solution" to that puzzle is ridiculously counterintuitive.
  1. Run to bathroom, fetch hairspray from cabinet (that you couldn't open before)
  2. Run to little sister's bedroom, grab (dead?) mouse (that wasn't there before)
  3. Run to living room, right-click to change pointer to reticle (which you'd never done up to that point), hit the bat with the hairspray
  4. Click on the vacuum cleaner (that wasn't there before) to dive behind the couch
  5. Drop mouse onto table
  6. Right-click again to activate reticle, when bat goes after the mouse, click on it to use vacuum cleaner
With the exception of fetching the hairspray and mouse in either order, this is an unforgiving sequence both in terms of order and precision.
This is definitely one of those games where it's more fun to watch an LPer like supergreatfriend suffer through it than inflict the damage on yourself.

Last edited:

Tigerfog

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Willy Beamish was amazing, but kind of buggy at times.
I remember being stuck at Chief Childish's kitchen for the longest time. She would turn around every time I tried spilling oil behind her all the time.
The solution? Spill the oil while Willy was far far away from the oil. The game will bug (Willy will be both far from the kitchen and also next to the cauldron), but at least, if and when the chef turns around, you can immediately leave the screen and the game over will not trigger.
It might be all due to Dosbox' cycles now that I think about it. But for the longest time, I couldn't finish the game.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
The graphics are fine for the era; the artwork is terrible. Look at Willy's face in the first image. His eyes are, just, off.
Do you remember it being this demented, though? If I played this back in '91 I don't think I would've questioned its cartoony presentation but at my current age it's like a psychological horror.
Yep, there's a significant subplot where he enters his frog into a contest to win the money he needs to get to the Nintari Championships. He has absolutely no issues with doping "Horny" in order to win, let alone question if the substance(s) he tried might hurt or kill the frog.
There was apparently a CD version, which includes voice "acting".
You find the graphics off because they aren't beeing displayed in the proper resolutions in your various screenshots

Willy Beamish is a graphical showcase of what you can do with 32 colors (Amiga) or 256 (pc vga)

OP
OP
dragonchild

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
Excuse me the what now?
There's a sequence ripped off from Calvin & Hobbes and The Lost Boys wherein your parents hire a babysitter who later turns into a demon bat. The vignette ends ambiguously; either it was all a dream or your mother signed a pact with the devil to have you murdered. Mind you, given her prior indifference to a spurting artery laceration, and the fact that Willy can communicate with the dead, the latter scenario is ENTIRELY plausible.

I did say that getting thrown into grown-up jail wasn't the craziest thing in the game. I didn't mean by a small margin. This game is weird.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Pushing Up Roses has a great Let's Play of this on YouTube. Really entertaining. Don't think I'd ever want to play this myself though.

MrWhiskers

Oct 27, 2017
I still remember this on my Sega CD. Can remember the opening music still to this day. I remember always being framed out later in the game... A.. Bat or something? I forget. I'm pretty sure my disc was scratched to the point that I couldn't progress after a certain point though. Never finished it

Raleigh00

Oct 27, 2017
I still remember this on my Sega CD. Can remember the opening music still to this day. I remember always being framed out later in the game... A.. Bat or something? I forget. I'm pretty sure my disc was scratched to the point that I couldn't progress after a certain point though. Never finished it
Yup, rented it multiple times for whatever reason (guess I liked the art style and point-click adventures) when I was kid and somehow managed to finish it with the super scratched disc, which added to the severe load times that werezompire mentioned - was iffy if it ever did load the next scene. Honestly, don't know how I finished it with all of the weird deaths and having to start over from the beginning with those damn load times. First day of summer vacation! Time to boogie!

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
There's a sequence ripped off from Calvin & Hobbes and The Lost Boys wherein your parents hire a babysitter who later turns into a demon bat. The vignette ends ambiguously; either it was all a dream or your mother signed a pact with the devil to have you murdered. Mind you, given her prior indifference to a spurting artery laceration, and the fact that Willy can communicate with the dead, the latter scenario is ENTIRELY plausible.

I did say that getting thrown into grown-up jail wasn't the craziest thing in the game. I didn't mean by a small margin. This game is weird.
This game is fucking wild

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I loved this game. But it was so slooooooooow. (Sega CD here) I must have spent more time playing with the circles waiting for the game to load anything.

Aminga

Oct 27, 2017
This game was a lot of fun for my brother I growing up <Sega cd>. But I think we never made it pass the frog race or something like that. Hard as hell and no saving.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Had the SCD version and the load times basically rendered the game unplayable. I see it's available on GoG; maybe I'll pick it up.

Yea, I played it first on Sega CD and it constantly crashed and had some of the most unbearable loading I've ever dealt with. I did finish it though.

One of my favorites of the era personally, but I loved damn near most point n click games of that era and haven't revisited most in decades. I should also grab it on GoG.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
I remember seeing this game on the shelves of Babbage's and in PC gamer...I also remember guides on this game being pages long.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018

Yeah, I had the Sega CD version, always thought it was a brilliant game, but the load times were so bad it was unplayable. I know most people are thinking, "Well, it's the Sega CD, all load times are bad." No. This game had insane load times even for a Sega CD game. The load times were so bad there's an actual spinning ball mechanic that was implemented during load times so you'd have something to do lol.

Get rid of the load times and the game is better than Rise of the Dragon and up there with "Snatcher" as a high point of Sega CD's point and click library.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
I remember it was running on 12 (!!) floppy discs on Amiga.

ZgWbEDF.jpg

My stepfather bought that game when it came out. That 'Meed' notebook ended up on my bookshelf for years. It's filled with Beamish's doodles, personal writing, and halfhearted school notetaking.

I really do miss 'feelies' as part of the game package.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, this is considered a bad game? I loved it. :c The CD/talkie version is a pretty good way to play it too.

Really wish I could find other point and click adventure games with a similar setting. Low stakes 80s/90s cartoon town.