• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Whelp, the full-screen spanish SoCal Ford ads are back, but this time have a solid white background instead of hovering.

using iOS Safari, happened just going on to the main resetera.com front page:
891-BA834-3-B4-D-4-C62-AAEA-6-A82-F0529-C09.png
NOOOOO!
I was literallyy just thinking, "man I havent noticed those annoying ads in a whileee... good job resetera staff!"

How is this happening? Is it a virus on the site? There's no way Reset would approve this greedy garbage. It is so annoying.

Also why the fuck are they all in Spanish? Reset is definitely not a Spanish speaking forum...

Timewarp

Oct 27, 2017
Ford ads back with a vengeance. Guess I'll stop using site on mobile for a few weeks until it's sorted.

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
I am also getting the Spanish ford ads that take over the page again, but ALSO I am getting Spanish McDonald's ads that take over the page. That's a new one.

iphone 11

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
I am also getting the full screen Spanish McDonalds ads. Safari, iOS, SoCal. There are at least two: one for McCafe, and one for the Dollar Menu. They will crop up at any time, not just at page load. For instance, in editing this post to add images, I got the McCafe one five (!) times and the dollar menu one twice.

ACD452-B0-F3-AC-40-B0-839-B-F09-D44-A838-DA.png

4-E1-CCC89-907-C-40-EE-9362-17-F6-AA89-C75-E.png

Last edited:

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Still having non stop crippling McDonalds Ads - same as everyone above. (Safari and iOS) In the brief 60 seconds it took for me to type this, I had to stop and X out of the ad 4 damn times. Now 5.
Please Help! 6 times...😫

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Still having non stop crippling McDonalds Ads - same as everyone above. (Safari and iOS) In the brief 60 seconds it took for me to type this, I had to stop and X out of the ad 4 damn times. Now 5.
Please Help! 6 times...😫

They can try to ban ads all they want (and I'm not even convinced that is actually doing anything), but the incessant reloading of ads every 30 seconds is the root cause of a lot of the pain. If the ads weren't reloaded constantly, it wouldn't be as big a deal. But when certain ads end up forcing an entire page reload on iOS or pop up an overlay every 30 seconds, it's absolutely infuriating.

I don't see ads reload on my PC. But on iOS, they reload constantly, and it's such a pain in the ass. On my PC on Chrome, I get 2 ads. A banner on the top and a banner on the bottom, and the page and the ads don't seem to ever reload.

On iOS, the ads seem to refresh every 30 seconds or faster. Some ads force the entire page to reload, which causes me to lose text I'm typing quite often. I never get full screen popups, but a lot of people here do, and they keep on popping up every 30 seconds or more.

Using this forum on mobile browsers is a nightmare! Stop reloading the ads. Aren't 2 ads per page view enough? Do you really need 20 ads or more displayed over the course of a 5 minute page read?

Is the 30 second ad reload on mobile OS's a choice by ResetEra, or is it the choice of the advertiser, or the choice of the ad broker?

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
They can try to ban ads all they want (and I'm not even convinced that is actually doing anything), but the incessant reloading of ads every 30 seconds is the root cause of a lot of the pain. If the ads weren't reloaded constantly, it wouldn't be as big a deal. But when certain ads end up forcing an entire page reload on iOS or pop up an overlay every 30 seconds, it's absolutely infuriating.

I don't see ads reload on my PC. But on iOS, they reload constantly, and it's such a pain in the ass. On my PC on Chrome, I get 2 ads. A banner on the top and a banner on the bottom, and the page and the ads don't seem to ever reload.

On iOS, the ads seem to refresh every 30 seconds or faster. Some ads force the entire page to reload, which causes me to lose text I'm typing quite often. I never get full screen popups, but a lot of people here do, and they keep on popping up every 30 seconds or more.

Using this forum on mobile browsers is a nightmare! Stop reloading the ads. Aren't 2 ads per page view enough? Do you really need 20 ads or more displayed over the course of a 5 minute page read?

Is the 30 second ad reload on mobile OS's a choice by ResetEra, or is it the choice of the advertiser, or the choice of the ad broker?

yep, agree on all the above.
Was getting the entire page reloads too over the last week or so before the ads went nuts and didn't know the ads were likely the cause of it. Thought it might have potentially been my phone or the browser.
And yeah, I'd love to get more transparency on how and why this is happening and who's responsible for the decisions that are causing this. Would be nice for the team here to just dump the ad broker and find another one if thats what's needed. I only browse Era by phone since it's locked from my work PC so I get no reprieve from the nightmare while I'm here haha.
Am completely fine with banner ads, but the rest of this constant full screen invasion of these other ones is fuckin insane.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but I can't visit this forum on mobile while this McDonald's ad shows up on every page

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Have the admins commented on these yet? I don't understand. Is it like a virus like attack or something? I can't imagine anyone ever approving this. Every 5-10 seconds getting a popup that takes over my entire screen, it's super obnoxious.

Rukes

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Have the admins commented on these yet? I don't understand. Is it like a virus like attack or something? I can't imagine anyone ever approving this. Every 5-10 seconds getting a popup that takes over my entire screen, it's super obnoxious.

They are ads, not viruses.

It's a combo of this site refreshing new ads way too much along with the ad hosting company not caring about what types of annoying ads are allowed.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone just wanted to update you on the latest from the ad agency:

As far as they can tell they believe the full screen mobile issue is localized to California and coming through Google Ads, which makes it really hard to track down. They've partially disabled Google which should help or at least make it easier to find the source. If you're seeing these outside of California please post in here to let them know. They are checking up on this thread while they look for the problem.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles

As far as they can tell they believe the full screen mobile issue is localized to California and coming through Google Ads, which makes it really hard to track down. They've partially disabled Google which should help or at least make it easier to find the source. If you're seeing these outside of California please post in here to let them know. They are checking up on this thread while they look for the problem.
Thank you Poodlestrike! 🙏🏼

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017

Thanks for the heads up 👍

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Thanks! But I'm def still seeing them in SoCal with a vengeance.

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
Just wanted to say that I haven't noticed the ads since, I believe, Sunday night. Thank you, ad team!

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain why the site often cannot finish loading on iOS devices?

I have tried both with and without adblocker, and it's bugging out in either case. It loads around 40% and then just sits there. The content loads just fine, though.

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
Getting this ad starting today. It pops up, animates the car, then stays persistently until closed. iOS, Safari

C4-B759-C9-9130-4812-B5-FE-7-C9-AFAC539-FC.png

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Getting mobile ads glued to the bottom of my mobile screen. Is that new? I don't think I'll be visiting the site on mobile anymore.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if this is an appropriate place to comment, but I'm seeing this ad for a Finnish retailer, whose owner has publicly anti-semitic views and publishes a magazine touting QAnon level conspiracy theories (anti-5G, covid is a scam, etc.). Here's a google translated Wikipedia page if that is of any use: Wikipedia entry. There's a section titled "Anti-Semitism and cooperation with neo-Nazis", which is telling in itself.

Would be cool if there's anything you can do, as this pretty blatantly contradicts the values of the forum. Thanks!

74495-C5-A-2-BBB-46-E9-9-BD8-C1164-A8-B9-FB3.jpg

Last edited:

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
On Safari on iPad I'm having the issue where ads load several seconds after the page and push everything around repeatedly, causing me to mis-click as the page moves. It used to be that the ad frame would load even without an ad, but that's not happening now. Is this unique to just me?

less

Oct 25, 2017
On Safari on iPad I'm having the issue where ads load several seconds after the page and push everything around repeatedly, causing me to mis-click as the page moves. It used to be that the ad frame would load even without an ad, but that's not happening now. Is this unique to just me?
Nope, I'm having the same issues. Annoying as hell.
Glad to know I'm not alone! It's also happening on Safari with a MacBook.

This was a styling issue and we've implemented a fix. Let us know if things are better now or if the issue still remains.

Edit: Due to unforeseen issues described below, the changes have been reverted until we can figure out what went wrong.

Last edited:

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dunno if this is "ad reporting" but I find the ads at the bottom of the pages on this site super frustrating now, as they are all videos that inrerrupt my current audio, and would not mind if anyone has a solution, as it makes browsing while listening to music or a podcast insufferable.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno if this is "ad reporting" but I find the ads at the bottom of the pages on this site super frustrating now, as they are all videos that inrerrupt my current audio, and would not mind if anyone has a solution, as it makes browsing while listening to music or a podcast insufferable.
Can you post more details? Like device, region, screenshots if possible. The site isn't supposed to be running any video ads. Thanks!

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you post more details? Like device, region, screenshots if possible. The site isn't supposed to be running any video ads. Thanks!

Moto G Power , Android 10, Google Chrome, USA / AZ.

Screenshots I might be able to do tomorrow. Pretty much every page at the bottom is a video ad that autoplays but is muted (thankfully) but it still interrupts my audio players. Most recent one I just saw was one for Mark Kelly's Senator race in Arizona but it's been loads of different topics. I just reported it via the "report ad" button, not sure if that helps.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Here in Sweden on iOS phones (not on tablets thoo) we get super annoying popup ads that sticks to the bottom of the screen and that often is very hard to close down (if possible at all). And it is just a duplicate of the top advertisement on the page (the one you just scroll past).

This is really dissapointing and makes me want to stay away from resetera on mobile phones.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else getting sticky political ads on the bottom of a page while browsing threads on mobile?

SgJoxg4.jpg

I'm using Google Chrome on an iPhone 7 Plus with iOS 14.0.1, in the SoCal/Los Angeles area.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
Getting an ad for summerhauls.com, which is almost certainly a scam site. Strangely, I've only seen the ad on mobile, but it pops up a lot there.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
For the last handful of days on desktop/Chrome the ads at the top of the screen expand and OVERLAY on top of the threads/posts themselves. They also dynamically change size and shift the entire page around. Sometimes doubling their height, which is really annoying.

I can deal with the size changes but when it overlays on top of the top post on any given page I can't deal. :/

Edit: here's one of the more tame examples. most of the time the ad is slightly larger, covers more of the post, and sometimes has a little black box with prompts in it, etc. that drops down even further below the ad.

Su5KhJk.png

EDIT 2: Found the most notorious offender is an ad about the Samsung S Pen. The little popup that extends below the ad that I mentioned earlier says "Replay - Learn More".

Last edited: